Sign in to follow this  
naomi

Mountain lion attack in WA

Im not a fan of handguns in general. But, I do see some logic in arming yourself when you venture out into certain areas where youre not atop the food chain.

Yes, chances are slim that youd be attacked by a bear, wolf, cougar, coyote or alligator. But it can happen.

I suppose theres also mace, but Im not sure how effective it would be.

I learned a new word yesterday:

apex predator

def: An apex predator, also known as an alpha predator or top predator, is a predator at the top of a food chain, with no natural predators

ex: lion, tiger, shark, alligator, cougars, bears

trivia: cougars/mountain lions/pumas/panthers are all the same animal

bonus trivia: While large, it is not always the apex predator in its range, yielding to the jaguar, gray wolf, American black bear, and grizzly bear

Ive heard that, but thankfully, never had to try it.

I dont own a handgun, but when Ive gone hiking/camping in unfamiliar territory, I pack a decent knife, a lighter and sometimes a baseball bat.

Now that we have a dog, she should be able to warn us if predators were nearby. Shes a wuss though, so I doubt shed offer much in the way of protection.

My main concern when my kids were younger was coyotes.

I feel like the farther off grid you go, the more sense it makes to have a gun. Protection, hunting small animals if youre lost or stranded, etc.

Pretty reasonable.

In any circumstance outside the zoo, it's extremely unlikely you'll see a mountain lion.

Sooo Senator's post that I was responding to was about getting a gun ready when being attacked by a cougar or bear. Mountain lion wise, in a lot of the encounter/attack stories, there was awareness of the animal for a bit. There's stalking reports (no attack) now and again as well.

But anyway, although I actually agree with what you're saying here, I have two close relatives who have seen them in the wild. When you go into their territory, while it may not be an active expectation, it's not going to be a sheer surprise to see one either.

No, but I would have brought a small Glock 42 or 43 if I was hiking in the Northeast US where there are known mountain lions. Also from the article:

Didn't even have to hit the cat, just the shot alone was enough to get it to go away.

----

You guys are so anti-gun that you think it is foolish to bring even a small handgun when you are hiking or camping in the wilderness? It literally is no bigger than my hand and you wouldn't even known it was there unless you needed it. Like if a focking mountain lion or something attacked you. Really dumb.

So an air horn would have been just as effective?

Eh weak, try harder.

You quoted how they scared the lion off with a loud sound, I posted about something else that makes a loud sound...and apparently our gun toting millennial ran out of bullets, cause he just tossed the gun.

You quoted how they scared the lion off with a loud sound, I posted about something else that makes a loud sound...and apparently our gun toting millennial ran out of bullets, cause he just tossed the gun.

You just compared the sound of an air horn to a firearm, trust me, you tossed the gun.

You just compared the sound of an air horn to a firearm, trust me, you tossed the gun.

Trust you...you lie all the time. :lol:

And pretty sure that the small pistol that you suggested fires around 130db, bout the same as an air horn.

Trust you...you lie all the time. :lol:

And pretty sure that the small pistol that you suggested fires around 130db, bout the same as an air horn.

What did I lie about?

Have you ever been around a gun when it was fired?

Gun debate, knew it before I opened the thread.

Y'all are classic.

Buy long term care insurance then. ;)

I agree wholeheartedly. I have two disability policies but keep putting off getting LTC insurance, even though I think its far more important than life ins. Any recommendations?

Do y'all really need to clutter up a good mountain lion eats biker thread with gun debates and insurance sales pitches?

Do y'all really need to clutter up a good mountain lion eats biker thread with gun debates and insurance sales pitches?

It's been a while. The mountain lion at this point has digested and shat out the uninsured, unarmed liberal panty waste bike rider at this point.

If I see a mountain lion in the wild I will stare him down, say "that's a good ###### cat, who's a good ###### cat", wave my hiking poles or a stick in the air like I don't care, and do the sideways shuffle until I am around the bend out of sight.

Then ditch my soiled underwear and haul ass back to the trail head.

Basically the opposite of what these guys do:

I agree wholeheartedly. I have two disability policies but keep putting off getting LTC insurance, even though I think its far more important than life ins. Any recommendations?

Indemnity payout in the only way to go.

Other than that, there are 2 types.

One which resembles term life insurance. Use it or lose it.

Second is combined with a life insurance policy resulting in a guaranteed benefit either as LTC or life insurance or a combo of both.

Indemnity payout in the only way to go.

Other than that, there are 2 types.

One which resembles term life insurance. Use it or lose it.

Second is combined with a life insurance policy resulting in a guaranteed benefit either as LTC or life insurance or a combo of both.

:thumbsup:

Simba has been acting up ever since Mufasa died. I blame Timon and Pumbaa. That's a bad crowd.

Their screams infamously sound like a woman screaming. Since they have large individual territories, they have to be this loud to beckon a mate.