Sign in to follow this  
Super Cubs

2nd year WRs

Which sophomore WR steps up and breaks out in 2017?

Michael Thomas became the star WR of the draft, but if memory serves me correctly Coleman, Treadwell, and Doctson were the big 3 at the time of the 2016 NFL draft. None of them did much. Fuller had a little success in Houston. Sterling Shepard also had some success as well . Do any of these guys step up or will it be a undrafted player like Andy Jones that takes the next big leap?

Which sophomore WR steps up and breaks out in 2017?

Michael Thomas became the star WR of the draft, but if memory serves me correctly Coleman, Treadwell, and Doctson were the big 3 at the time of the 2016 NFL draft. None of them did much. Fuller had a little success in Houston. Sterling Shepard also had some success as well . Do any of these guys step up or will it be a undrafted player like Andy Jones that takes the next big leap?

As long as the situations in Cleveland and Minnesota are awful, Coleman and Treadwell will have trouble reaching their potential.

Doctson should be a big time player this year now that he's going to have to step into the #1WR role in Washington.

Not sure what to make of Fuller. He had a good start, but the last 10+ games or so, he was rather non-existent. I think it's because of Osweiller being so awful, but we'll see.

I don't see Shepard doing much of anything this year. I don't know why the Giants felt that they needed Marshall, makes no sense to me.

It this point in time, and we'll see what happens in pre-season... but if Andy Jones has 10 catches this season, I'll be surprised.

As long as the situations in Cleveland and Minnesota are awful, Coleman and Treadwell will have trouble reaching their potential.

Doctson should be a big time player this year now that he's going to have to step into the #1WR role in Washington.

Not sure what to make of Fuller. He had a good start, but the last 10+ games or so, he was rather non-existent. I think it's because of Osweiller being so awful, but we'll see.

I don't see Shepard doing much of anything this year. I don't know why the Giants felt that they needed Marshall, makes no sense to me.

It this point in time, and we'll see what happens in pre-season... but if Andy Jones has 10 catches this season, I'll be surprised.

What? Doctson is going to have to step into the WR1 role? How? Pryor and Crowder are the top two WRs there which means Doctson will be their WR3 and still be behind Reed for targets. He's got a ton of work to do in order to be a top target in that offense.

What? Doctson is going to have to step into the WR1 role? How? Pryor and Crowder are the top two WRs there which means Doctson will be their WR3 and still be behind Reed for targets. He's got a ton of work to do in order to be a top target in that offense.

I don't see either of Pryor or Crowder being a #1. If the Browns, Redskins, or anyone else really believed in Pryor being able to be a #1 WR, Pryor would have gotten better than a 1-yr / $6M deal. I think Crowder is a "nice" player. He'll be productive as long as others can take the coverage away from him. He's not a play maker that teams have to target as someone they "need" to stop. Doctson is that "type" of player. If he progresses, then he'll become the go-to guy at some point during the season. Of course, there is that chance that he's a bust and never lives up to his potential. I'm speaking more in the sense that Doctson has the greatest potential to be a #1 WR than the other two.

I don't see either of Pryor or Crowder being a #1. If the Browns, Redskins, or anyone else really believed in Pryor being able to be a #1 WR, Pryor would have gotten better than a 1-yr / $6M deal. I think Crowder is a "nice" player. He'll be productive as long as others can take the coverage away from him. He's not a play maker that teams have to target as someone they "need" to stop. Doctson is that "type" of player. If he progresses, then he'll become the go-to guy at some point during the season. Of course, there is that chance that he's a bust and never lives up to his potential. I'm speaking more in the sense that Doctson has the greatest potential to be a #1 WR than the other two.

Seems like a pretty bold prediction. Crowder has a pretty good thing going with Cousins and Pryor seems to be pretty talented as well. Doctson has shown nothing so far so he's playing from behind. It's most likely Crowder and Pryor will get the majority of targets then Reed followed up by Doctson.

Doctson was a first round pick. So at some point Doctson will get a shot.

Most likely he will go into camp this year as the #3 guy, but he will be given every opportunity in camp to show he can be the #2 guy.

My belief is that he will assume the #2 role sometime this season and if he cannot beat Crowder out for that spot, he does not deserve it.

This will be an interesting camp battle to watch. That's for sure.

Crowder is a slot WR

Seems like a pretty bold prediction. Crowder has a pretty good thing going with Cousins and Pryor seems to be pretty talented as well. Doctson has shown nothing so far so he's playing from behind. It's most likely Crowder and Pryor will get the majority of targets then Reed followed up by Doctson.

I'm basing my opinion on what the 32 NFL teams told me via their actions. The Redskins told me that they believe in Doctson because they were perfectly willing to let Garcon and Jackson just walk without knowing what WR's they would be able to bring in. Then the league as a whole told me that because no one was willing to give Pryor more than 1 for $6, that none of them thought he could develop into a #1 WR. The Redskins confirmed their faith in Doctson because they only signed 1 WR to a 1-year deal and didn't draft any WR's that could be immediate help.

It may be a bold prediction, but it's the prediction that the Redskins are putting out there.

Among free agent WR's, Pryor got the 7th most guaranteed money per Spotrac, all on a one year contract. That's not too bad considering he's joining a team that can immediately plug him into the same role he had in Cleveland.

Big money wasn't flying around for wide receivers this offseason. What Pryor got, while not "good" was still relatively good for a guy that has only had one full season at wide receiver. If anything, considering his lack of experience, I'd say the Redskins are hoping he continues his development and can be a core asset to their offense.

Nope. You are wrong here. Doctson was injured all year and showed absolutely nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zero. He has nothing to show. Pryor at least showed he can have success as a #1 without any talent around him. You must not have watched Pryor play at all and are just basing this off of pre conceived notions. I would never rate a players ability based on a one year contract he received.... That's just silly

Nope. You are wrong here. Doctson was injured all year and showed absolutely nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zero. He has nothing to show. Pryor at least showed he can have success as a #1 without any talent around him. You must not have watched Pryor play at all and are just basing this off of pre conceived notions. I would never rate a players ability based on a one year contract he received.... That's just silly

Then I'm silly. Actions speak louder than words. Just like I think the Patriots are going to use Cooks a lot more than what some think. You don't give a first and a third, plus pick up an $8M option on a guy you just plan on throwing into a mixed bag. The Redskins basically did the same thing. They let 2 quality receivers just walk while only having a slot receiver and a 1st round draft pick as viable pass catching options. They apparently believe in his potential and I believe they will give him every chance to play.

A one year contract is a "prove-it" contract. Meaning, they don't really believe he can do it again. Not only that, there were 31 other teams in the NFL that didn't even think Pryor was worth a one year prove-it deal. Like I said, actions (or lack there of), speak louder than words.

Among free agent WR's, Pryor got the 7th most guaranteed money per Spotrac, all on a one year contract. That's not too bad considering he's joining a team that can immediately plug him into the same role he had in Cleveland.

Big money wasn't flying around for wide receivers this offseason. What Pryor got, while not "good" was still relatively good for a guy that has only had one full season at wide receiver. If anything, considering his lack of experience, I'd say the Redskins are hoping he continues his development and can be a core asset to their offense.

That's right... they "hope" he can. They're not banking on it, which is why they didn't give him a long term deal.

Then I'm silly. Actions speak louder than words. Just like I think the Patriots are going to use Cooks a lot more than what some think. You don't give a first and a third, plus pick up an $8M option on a guy you just plan on throwing into a mixed bag. The Redskins basically did the same thing. They let 2 quality receivers just walk while only having a slot receiver and a 1st round draft pick as viable pass catching options. They apparently believe in his potential and I believe they will give him every chance to play.

A one year contract is a "prove-it" contract. Meaning, they don't really believe he can do it again. Not only that, there were 31 other teams in the NFL that didn't even think Pryor was worth a one year prove-it deal. Like I said, actions (or lack there of), speak louder than words.

I dont think it means they dont think he will do it again. If that was the case they wouldnt sign him at all.

I think it means nobody was willing to give him a long term deal for big money. If the WR was after the money, he signs the best 'prove it' deal he can get and moves to the team where is likely to put up the best numbers.

I think Washington was willing to take the chance on him for a couple of reasons:

If it doesnt work out, this will affect cousins numbers and they may not have to franchise him for a third time.

If it does work out, they will have two young and good WR's in Doctson and Pryor. (assuming they can resign Pryor)

This is the real test to see if Cousins is a franchise QB. I can see no greater test of his skill and ability.

• Like 1

I dont think it means they dont think he will do it again. If that was the case they wouldnt sign him at all.

I think it means nobody was willing to give him a long term deal for big money. If the WR was after the money, he signs the best 'prove it' deal he can get and moves to the team where is likely to put up the best numbers.

I think Washington was willing to take the chance on him for a couple of reasons:

If it doesnt work out, this will affect cousins numbers and they may not have to franchise him for a third time.

If it does work out, they will have two young and good WR's in Doctson and Pryor. (assuming they can resign Pryor)

This is the real test to see if Cousins is a franchise QB. I can see no greater test of his skill and ability.

"Thinking" he could do it again isn't the same as "believing" he can do it again. If they (and by "they", I mean all 32 teams), "believed" he could do it again, he would have gotten a deal better than a one-year prove-it deal. This was a very weak class for free agent WR's. With guys like Torrey Smith, Kenny Britt, Cordarrelle Patterson, Robert Woods all getting multi-year contracts (all of who stink), I'd think there would have been someone to offer Pryor a multi-year deal if they "believed" he could do it again. Now, do they "think" he could do it again? Yes, that's why - as you said - "was willing to take the chance on him", and that's why they gave him the prove-it deal. You take chances on players you "think" can play... not the one's you "believe" can play.

He's not a 2nd year guy but I'll toss out Paul Richardson. Lockette is coming off surgery and Kearse disappointed big time.

While he needs to improve his route running and is a kind of lanky, catch and go down player, he has elite ball skills and is coming off an electric playoff run.

• Like 1

"Thinking" he could do it again isn't the same as "believing" he can do it again. If they (and by "they", I mean all 32 teams), "believed" he could do it again, he would have gotten a deal better than a one-year prove-it deal. This was a very weak class for free agent WR's. With guys like Torrey Smith, Kenny Britt, Cordarrelle Patterson, Robert Woods all getting multi-year contracts (all of who stink), I'd think there would have been someone to offer Pryor a multi-year deal if they "believed" he could do it again. Now, do they "think" he could do it again? Yes, that's why - as you said - "was willing to take the chance on him", and that's why they gave him the prove-it deal. You take chances on players you "think" can play... not the one's you "believe" can play.

You'd have to look at those long-term contracts and see how they're structured in order to support your claim. Many times those contracts are front loaded and don't guarantee much money. Basically they favor the team and they can drop the player whenever so it doesn't really mean they they are more dedicated to that player than one that's getting a one year deal. It may be possible that Pryor or even Jeffery preferred taking a 1 year deal in order to get themselves a better long term deal after having a really good season.

• Like 1

He's not a 2nd year guy but I'll toss out Paul Richardson. Lockette is coming off surgery and Kearse disappointed big time.

While he needs to improve his route running and is a kind of lanky, catch and go down player, he has elite ball skills and is coming off an electric playoff run.

Richardson is interesting. He was a high pick and has shown flashes. The issue is that he is somewhat a limited route runner. Even if he passes TL on the depth chart he still is behind Baldwin and Graham for targets. Then you throw in some TL, CJP and some throws to Lacy. It just isn't a big enough market share to give him a weekly floor.

I expect to see a better ff season out of Hill of the Chiefs.

And one player I'm really interested to see how's he does this preseason with be B Miller of the Texans.

I think he could be a target monster on the Texans in the slot with those young qbs.

The Texans have only one real target monster and that's Hopkins so I see pleanty left for B Miller to enjoy a good meal.

• Like 1

I'm just saying you can't tell me Pryor didn't show you enough so you think Doctson will be the man, when Pryor showed signs of a #1 at least while Doctson literally did nothing. It's completely contradictory.

You'd have to look at those long-term contracts and see how they're structured in order to support your claim. Many times those contracts are front loaded and don't guarantee much money. Basically they favor the team and they can drop the player whenever so it doesn't really mean they they are more dedicated to that player than one that's getting a one year deal. It may be possible that Pryor or even Jeffery preferred taking a 1 year deal in order to get themselves a better long term deal after having a really good season.

Oh, I fully expect them all to be front loaded... just like I would have expected Pryor's to have been had he gotten one. A multi-year contract gives teams much more flexibility if they're right about a player and could extend them easier. A one-year contract gives the player all chips. Now, if Pryor goes off, the Redskins will now be forced to pay him a big deal or franchise him. Had they given him a 2 or 3 year deal, they could most likely would have been able to get him cheaper on an extension.

Yes, I agree. Pryor could have preferred the one year deal. The question is, "Why?" It would be because no one was willing to "believe" in him and pay him.

I'm just saying you can't tell me Pryor didn't show you enough so you think Doctson will be the man, when Pryor showed signs of a #1 at least while Doctson literally did nothing. It's completely contradictory.

I'm not saying anything about either of them. I saying how I read the actions made by the Redskins. They let Garcon and Jackson go without batting an eye not knowing who they could get in free agency. They went into free agency and only signed 1 WR to a one-year prove-it contract... all with knowing that they only had Doctson and Crowder. Then, they went into the draft and took only 1 WR in the 6th round (I believe... might be 5th), who was considered a long term project. Those actions tell me that the Redskins believe in Doctson.

That's right... they "hope" he can. They're not banking on it, which is why they didn't give him a long term deal.

You act like a loaded contract means a guy is a first round fantasy stud. That's a pretty significant fallacy.

Simple fact is: Pryor, in one year at wide receiver, has proven he can be a legitimate option on an offense. Doctson hasn't shown anything other than he's injury prone.

Nope. You are wrong here. Doctson was injured all year and showed absolutely nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zero. He has nothing to show.

Doctson did catch a 57 yard bomb from Cousins and had another reception for 9 yards last season. It's not much, but it's more than nothing, nada, zilch, zero. He played sparingly in the first two games before missing the rest of the season.

FFToday average draft position PPR page has Pryor at 3.12, Crowder at 5.11, and Doctson at 12.3.

I anticipate all three players will have good seasons, but I like the value of Doctson. I believe Doctson has the potential of being the #1Wr for the Redskins, and the Redskins believed it too when they drafted him in the first round of 2016 knowing that Garcon and DJax would be gone this year.

No way Pryor comes close to the 140 targets he had last season to amass 1,007 yards and a whopping 4 tds on 140 targets. Cleveland was mostly playing from behind with little depth and consistency from the other Wrs on his team. Pryor is overvalued right now, Crowder is about right, and Doctson is currently undervalued.

Corey Coleman at 9.12 I think is a great value as well for a second year Wr. Cleveland still has weak Wrs behind him and they'll be playing from behind in most games again this season. Kenny Britt and Andrew Hawkins have ceilings we have seen before. Coleman in the ninth or tenth round is a steal for someone who is the most likely to be the #1 Wr on his team.

• Like 1

I expect to see a better ff season out of Hill of the Chiefs.

And one player I'm really interested to see how's he does this preseason with be B Miller of the Texans.

I think he could be a target monster on the Texans in the slot with those young qbs.

The Texans have only one real target monster and that's Hopkins so I see pleanty left for B Miller to enjoy a good meal.

Braxton Miller is a player I find intriguing. He was starting to look like he was figuring the NFL out and then got injured. Not saying he will be a stud, but I do think he could be really good in ppr.

Doctson did catch a 57 yard bomb from Cousins and had another reception for 9 yards last season. It's not much, but it's more than nothing, nada, zilch, zero. He played sparingly in the first two games before missing the rest of the season.

FFToday average draft position PPR page has Pryor at 3.12, Crowder at 5.11, and Doctson at 12.3.

I anticipate all three players will have good seasons, but I like the value of Doctson. I believe Doctson has the potential of being the #1Wr for the Redskins, and the Redskins believed it too when they drafted him in the first round of 2016 knowing that Garcon and DJax would be gone this year.

No way Pryor comes close to the 140 targets he had last season to amass 1,007 yards and a whopping 4 tds on 140 targets. Cleveland was mostly playing from behind with little depth and consistency from the other Wrs on his team. Pryor is overvalued right now, Crowder is about right, and Doctson is currently undervalued.

Corey Coleman at 9.12 I think is a great value as well for a second year Wr. Cleveland still has weak Wrs behind him and they'll be playing from behind in most games again this season. Kenny Britt and Andrew Hawkins have ceilings we have seen before. Coleman in the ninth or tenth round is a steal for someone who is the most likely to be the #1 Wr on his team.

I agree that Pryor is overvalued but I feel Crowder is undervalued. Doctson is about right because how can anyone really know what he's going to do. I know the Redskins thought he was good enough for a first round pick but so did the Bears with White. Obviously White has been injured but he's another guy that you just can't project or trust right now. They belong at the end of the draft and do provide plenty of value there as they do have the potential to be their team's WR1.

In Crowders' last 5 games of the season he had 12 receptions for 122 yards and 1 TD.

In most fantasy leagues the playoffs are weeks 14-16 where Crowder produced 7 receptions for 64 yards and zero TDs total in those three games.

Josh Doctson has more talent than both Crowder and Pryor imo. Doctson says he is 100% healthy. Gruden has raved many times about his maturity level and being a determined hard worker.

Go ahead and take Crowder in the 5th, and I'll take Doctson in the 10th and someone safer in the 5th.

You act like a loaded contract means a guy is a first round fantasy stud. That's a pretty significant fallacy.

Simple fact is: Pryor, in one year at wide receiver, has proven he can be a legitimate option on an offense. Doctson hasn't shown anything other than he's injury prone.

he's right in the sense that money talks.

you sign a guy for substantially more than your current starter makes, it's a pretty good sign that you have a new starter. And usually management will give that new player every opportunity to prove that management was right in throwing all that money at him. To do otherwise is like admitting you made a mistake. That rarely happens at the pro level without a change in management.

You made some really good points Smileseers.

Doctson could indeed be the better value pick.

Now I have seen where the Redskins coach has said some really good things about him, but I also saw where he thinks Crowder might lead his team in rec.

I think at the Wr and Rb postion I find the Redskins situations a little unstable for ff.

As for Pryor thought he would be a good matchup with Cousians.

But I've already dropped him down a few spots and I currently have him ranked number 21 which is where he finished in ppr last season.

And it's because of both Crowder and Doctson.

I never once hinted at any of the sort. When I said a #1 WR, I mean for the Redskins, not fantasy, and I said as much. Also, I don't think anyone who has done something only 1 time in 4 seasons has "proven" anything. To me, I need to see you do it twice. That though, isn't the argument I'm making. I've stated numerous times that my point is, the Redskins actions have told me that they believe in Doctson will have a big role this season.

I never once hinted at any of the sort. When I said a #1 WR, I mean for the Redskins, not fantasy, and I said as much. Also, I don't think anyone who has done something only 1 time in 4 seasons has "proven" anything. To me, I need to see you do it twice. That though, isn't the argument I'm making. I've stated numerous times that my point is, the Redskins actions have told me that they believe in Doctson will have a big role this season.

I'm not going to disagree with you that Doctson has a shot at being their WR1 but I am going to pick on part of your argument a little bit. You say that a guy that's only done something in one season hasn't proved anything yet but you keep saying that a second year WR that hasn't done anything yet will be the teams WR1. It just sounds contradicting but I know the main point of your argument is based on the actions of the Redskins.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this since I find it somewhat similar. Do you think that Kevin White will be the Bear's WR1 this year since he was drafted 7th overall by the Bears and they let Jeffery go?

I think Kevin White is bad at football.

Based on what, 4 games? Your comment is just as silly as someone saying Kevin White is great at football.

I think Kevin White is bad at football.

did you get burned drafting him last year? Not all first round picks light it up in year 1. Many WR's dont show signs of what they can do until year 3 or 4.

just sayin. we dont know what this kid has (yet)

Based on what, 4 games? Your comment is just as silly as someone saying Kevin White is great at football.

His college tape to me looked like a Tavon Austin-CPatt clone. I don't think he has the route running chops to really make an NFL impact.

did you get burned drafting him last year? Not all first round picks light it up in year 1. Many WR's dont show signs of what they can do until year 3 or 4.

just sayin. we dont know what this kid has (yet)

I've got 7 or 8 dynasty league. I've never owned Kevin White in dynasty or redraft and probably never will.

I'm ok completely missing on players I don't like.

I've got 7 or 8 dynasty league. I've never owned Kevin White in dynasty or redraft and probably never will.

I'm ok completely missing on players I don't like.

Nothing wrong with not liking him but I don't think it's fair to say if he's good or sucks until he actually plays.

I'm not going to disagree with you that Doctson has a shot at being their WR1 but I am going to pick on part of your argument a little bit. You say that a guy that's only done something in one season hasn't proved anything yet but you keep saying that a second year WR that hasn't done anything yet will be the teams WR1. It just sounds contradicting but I know the main point of your argument is based on the actions of the Redskins.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this since I find it somewhat similar. Do you think that Kevin White will be the Bear's WR1 this year since he was drafted 7th overall by the Bears and they let Jeffery go?

Two separate arguments really. One is what the Redskins are telling me about Doctson, the other is my opinion on Pryor. I think the guy will be fine, but I don't agree with giraldi when he says that Pryor "has proven" what he could do. No one proves anything by doing it once... to me, you prove it by doing it twice. In general, we've all seen tons players do things once and never do it again. I mean, just look at my Buccaneers... Josh Freeman's 2010 season, Michael Clayton's 2004 season, Cadillac Williams' 2005 season. All one-year wonders that never panned out.

While the actions with the Bears were somewhat similar, I'm confused on what the Bears expect to happen this year. With the Redskins, I think they believe they can be a playoff team (and I agree... they could be), I don't think the Bears see themselves that way. By signing Glennon and drafting Trubisky, it looks to me like they're trying to just be competent this year to buy time for Trubisky. They brought in Wright, Cruz, and Wheaton, so my guess is that they're thinking that either Meredith or White will take a step forward but are building depth in case White gets hurt again. I think they're less confident in White than the Redskins are in Doctson.

Nothing wrong with not liking him but I don't think it's fair to say if he's good or sucks until he actually plays.

No doubt. There are red flags with him. He was actually one of the older rookies coming into the league, hes 25 right now, and only really had 1 year of production in his senior year at west virgina.

His junior season he posted 35 receptions for a 507-5 line.

Many of the dominant college players don't even reach their senior season and come out early.

Basically what I'm saying is that we have an older player, with only 1 year of of college production who has shown next to nothing in the NFL.

There really isn't a comparable player coming into the NFL this old with this little production being a big success.

• Like 1

If you want to look back at Amari Coop, 23 now, vs Kevin White, Amari had a 1,000 yard WR season in his sophomore campaign as much younger player in 2012. 5 years ago he was what probably 18-19?

Kevin white didn't have a 1,000 yard WR season until 2014. If he is 25 now maybe he was what 22-23 then?

In college where being a bigger stronger more athletic player can take you a bit farther, and you can rely on route running, football IQ, and other skills less, it took Kevin White until he was potentially bigger and stronger than some of peers to actually break out.

Late breakout age is not a good predictor of NFL success.

• Like 1

he's right in the sense that money talks.

you sign a guy for substantially more than your current starter makes, it's a pretty good sign that you have a new starter. And usually management will give that new player every opportunity to prove that management was right in throwing all that money at him. To do otherwise is like admitting you made a mistake. That rarely happens at the pro level without a change in management.

What's the threshold for that logic though? Because by that metric, Chase Daniel would have been in the running to start for the Eagles last season after signing a three year $21 million contract. He didn't even get an opportunity in training camp or the preseason last season. Then he got released this offseason

There's a lot of moving variables when it comes to contracts in the NFL. Two/three-year contracts in the NFL are essentially one year deals. There's no such thing as long-term security.

As it pertains to the Doctson/Crowder/Pryor dynamic, consider this:

The Redskins lost 214 targets, 135 catches, 2046 yards and 7 TDs from a season ago when Garcon and D-Jax left.

Crowder, last season, had 99 targets, 67 catches, 847 yards and 7 TDs.

Jordan Reed had 89 targets, 66 catches, 686 yards, and 6 TDs.

You can bump up the productivity, even by a large margin, on Crowder and Reed and still have a whole lot of opportunity for Pryor and Doctson. My issue with Doctson is that he was relatively raw entering the NFL as a route-runner and he needs experience on the field. I honestly have not been impressed with him at all as a prospect. There's data backing Pryor up as well that hints he could have future success. Matt Harmon highlighted his success running slants/curls, which the Redskins utilize heavily, with his Reception Perception data.

• Like 1