Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Polar bear 'dies of a broken heart' after best friend shipped off by SeaWorld

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/polar-bear-apos-dies-broken-091613441.html

A leading animal welfare charity claims that a polar bear "died from a broken heart" after her best friend of 20 years was shipped away from SeaWorld San Diego to Pittsburgh Zoo.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) made the claims yesterday following the death of Szenja, a 21-year-old polar bear born in captivity and living in SeaWorld's Wild Arctic exhibit since the 1990s.
She lived alongside Snowflake in the enclosure for around 20 years and the two females developed a deep friendship. Recently Snowflake was sent to Pittsburgh Zoo in an attempt to breed her.
Now Szenja has died and Peta say the causes of death are abundantly clear.
"Szenja died of a broken heart, Peta believes. After losing her companion of 20 years when SeaWorld shipped Snowflake to the Pittsburgh Zoo in order to breed more miserable polar bears, Szenja did what anyone would do when they lose all hope, she gave up," said Peta Vice President Tracy Remain.
"This should be a wake-up call to SeaWorld: stop breeding and shipping animals around, close the animal exhibits, and retire the animals to sanctuaries. Until it does, this ship will keep sinking," Remain added, as reported in the Times of San Diego.
It is reported that Szenja lost her appetite in the days after Snowflake's departure but her death still came as a shock to SeaWorld staff.
Al Garver, SeaWorld's vice president of zoological operations said: "Szenja not only touched the hearts of those who have cared for her over the last two decades, but also the millions of guests who had a chance to see her in person.
"We're proud to have been a part of her life and to know that she inspired people from around the world to want to protect polar bears in the wild."
Polar bears can only expect to live until they are about 18 in the wild whereas those in captivity, such as Szenja, often live into their late 20s.
SeaWorld San Diego was previously criticised for mobilising employees to pose as animal rights activists to spy on its critics.

Isn't it time we just shutdown seaworld anyway and all zoos for that matter?

they are disgusting, dirty and the animals are pretty much being tortured.

I think anyone that gets enjoyment out of watching full grown animals caged for their own in enjoyment has to be a little focked in the head.

I think anyone that gets enjoyment out of watching full grown animals caged for their own in enjoyment has to be a little focked in the head.

I don't think people go to zoos to "enjoy seeing the animals caged"

they go to see animals in person, they would never otherwise get to see.

It's not much different from people that keep animals in a cage at home.

if people would step back and think of what they are really seeing and stop going, the industry would die.

Snowflake. :rolleyes:

I had "Talk about your snowflakes" as my 1st line.

then I read the story and thought about the industry and decided to go the other way

Seriously though. I would probably die too if one of my friends got sent to Pittsburgh.

I couldn't click that link. But I can click the one of the FB Cleveland guy shooting the old man.

Truth

I couldn't click that link. But I can click the one of the FB Cleveland guy shooting the old man.

Truth

I clicked both, but I know what you mean. Sometimes I value animals lives more than humans, they are pure, humans suck.

Truth

I did not and would not ever watch a human kill a human, I could never watch a video like that. I don't even like watching when dudes get serious injuries playing sports. Not my bag.

I would not watch a video of an animal being hurt either. I did feel the need to read this story, as I have railed against the seaworld/zoo industry for years.

Seriously though. I would probably die too if one of my friends got sent to Pittsburgh.

what would happen to Shonuff if Worms left?

Oh :(

I did not and would not ever watch a human kill a human, I could never watch a video like that. I don't even like watching when dudes get serious injuries playing sports. Not my bag.

I would not watch a video of an animal being hurt either. I did feel the need to read this story, as I have railed against the seaworld/zoo industry for years.

I know..its morbid curiosity. Watching the Cleveland video made ms sad and angry..But I knew I would feel that way before I watched. I certainly didn; tenjoy it, but I did it anyway.

However I just don't want to watch a polar bear die from a broken heart or whatever...That makes me super sad thinking about it. I guess I wish I had that same feeling for other humans.

Isn't it time we just shutdown seaworld anyway and all zoos for that matter?

they are disgusting, dirty and the animals are pretty much being tortured.

Yep. Zoo's and circuses. No need for either of them anymore.

Yep. Zoo's and circuses. No need for either of them anymore.

:thumbsup:

After 146 Years, Ringling Bros. And Barnum & Bailey Circus To Shut Down
After its nearly century and a half run, Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus plans to shut down "The Greatest Show On Earth."
The historic American spectacle will deliver its final show in May, says Kenneth Feld, the chairman and CEO of Feld Entertainment, the producer of Ringling.
Feld announced the news on the company website Saturday night, citing declining ticket sales — which dipped even lower as the company retired its touring elephants.
"This, coupled with high operating costs, made the circus an unsustainable business for the company," Feld says.
Ringling has been phasing out elephants as a result of shifting public tastes and criticism from animal rights groups over the well-being of the animals.
The company held its last show featuring elephants in May, before completely retiring the animals to its 200-acre conservation center in Polk City, Fla., established by Feld Entertainment in 1995.
Elephants had been a circus mainstay almost as long as the circus itself has been a staple of American entertainment, since Phineas Taylor Barnum introduced Jumbo, an Asian elephant in 1882.
But before the traveling exhibition evolved into a regular destination for wholesome family fun, Barnum "made a traveling spectacle of animals and human oddities popular, while the five Ringling brothers performed juggling acts and skits from their home base in Wisconsin," reports the AP. "Eventually, they merged and the modern circus was born. The sprawling troupes traveled around America by train, wowing audiences with the sheer scale of entertainment and exotic animals."
The Feld family bought Ringling in 1967 and employs about 500 people for both touring shows "Circus Extreme" and "Out of This World." Those employees were told about the closure after shows in Orlando and Miami, on Saturday night.
"The Felds say their existing animals — lions, tigers, camels, donkeys, alpacas, kangaroos and llamas — will go to suitable homes," adds the AP. "Juliette Feld says the company will continue operating the Center for Elephant Conservation."
Each year, Feld Entertainment's live shows draw some 30 million attendees.
Before it draws the curtain, the two touring circuses will perform a total of 30 shows over the next four months, in major cities including Atlanta, Washington, Philadelphia, Boston and Brooklyn.

Ok whales yes, it's bad to keep them locked up. But these bears have a sweet life and are not tortured. They get a nice enclosure, play toys, lounge spots, steady meals, mental stimulation. It's nice digs for them. It's a sad story and I love animals.

They are for kids, been to a zoo lately, every body has a stroller.

Ok whales yes, it's bad to keep them locked up. But these bears have a sweet life and are not tortured. They get a nice enclosure, play toys, lounge spots, steady meals, mental stimulation. It's nice digs for them. It's a sad story and I love animals.

Which polar bear told you that?

They are for kids, been to a zoo lately, every body has a stroller.

Okay...but the point still doesn't change?

Which polar bear told you that?

The ones at the San Diego zoo. Their habitat is sweet and they play and swim all day. Really majestic creatures too.

I remember when the Polar Bear cubs Klondike and Snow were born and raised at the Denver Zoo.

Pretty much set the standard for what we see today.

Frick, they broke every possible record for attendance and donations.

They couldn't sell enough stuffed dolls of those two. Adorable.

And good golly, were they cute.

They enthralled not only the city, but the entire region - and beyond.

They both had amazing little personalities. Klondike was clearly a 'boy' and Snow? SUCH a 'girl'.

But, Klondike always came a running when Snow got skeered or lonely - or just needed her Big Bro.

And, both of them, lacking a Mother, loved and thrived on being loved and touched and petted and stroked by their adopted zoo 'parents'. Heck, Klondike and Snow knew them by smell and touch before their little eyes ever opened and adjusted to the world. They would squeal and squirm in unfettered joy and anticipation every time their handlers drew near.

Then, one day, as young ones are apt to do, Klondike got a little rambunctious with a handler who was taking too long with the food bottle.

And that was it. Not a single touch or rub or ear scratch ever again.

Poor kids never knew what they did wrong.

Hell, even the handler admitted it was her fault.

But, it didn't matter.

Shortly thereafter, not only did they lose their adopted human parents and the throngs of crowds that they came to love.

They lost each other.

Show went somewhere. I can't recall. All that mattered was, it wasn't 'home'.

And Klondike went to a big fancy exhibit at a SeaWorld in Florida.

But to those who saw them grow up from tiny little scared fur balls to loving, happy little 'kids',

they never were the same.

Seems a million years ago. First, little Snow perished. Far sooner than she should (and some would argue would) have.

Like the grandest porcelain pitcher, her sweet heart held much, but shattered easily. Far too easily so far from home.

And Klondike? The 'Bear Wonder'? Who loved to play and frolic and seemingly lived for and thrived upon the smiles and laughter from delighted kids and adults alike?

- Was irrevocably and unmistakably altered for the worse.

On a good day, he'd run through the motions at best.

On a bad day - of which there were far more than good - when the memories were crisp, sharp - and cruelly distant, one could tell he was thinking of happier times in a home far less lavish than the multi-million dollar cell in which he was destined await that day; That day when he and Snow rolled and tumbled, splashed and napped, and loved and were loved in a way that only home can provide.

Okay...but the point still doesn't change?

I think most young kids like going to the zoo, and probably outgrow it by 10-12 years old.

Not stating whether it is correct, but that is why zoos exist.

They should wall off Detroit and sell tickets to see the natives in their natural habitat. Drive people around in something akin to a popemobus.

If you look to the left you will see a group which seems to be engaged in a drug deal. Around the next corner, last Friday, was a drive by shooting. You can still see the chalk outlines of the two victims. And up ahead, that real angry looking one, his partner was recently shipped off to Chicago.

Ooooh, Ahhhhhh.

They should wall off Detroit and sell tickets to see the natives in their natural habitat. Drive people around in something akin to a popemobus.

If you look to the left you will see a group which seems to be engaged in a drug deal. Around the next corner, last Friday, was a drive by shooting. You can still see the chalk outlines of the two victims. And up ahead, that real angry looking one, his partner was recently shipped of to Chicago.

Ooooh, Ahhhhhh.

:doublethumbsup:

Aquariums are flat out awesome. Zoo's, and especially the circus, are just outdated and there's no need at all for them.

Circuses...yes...shut em down as far as the acts with the animals. (Was a recent video showing ex circuses animals being released into sanctuaries)

Many zoos though treat the animals very well.

Also they do a ton of work on treatment of animals and conservation.

If you look to the left you will see a group which seems to be engaged in a drug deal. Around the next corner, last Friday, was a drive by shooting. You can still see the chalk outlines of the two victims. And up ahead, that real angry looking one, his partner was recently shipped off to Chicago.

Ooooh, Ahhhhhh.

Asians would legit pay for this. They consider blacks to be another species pretty much and absolutely fantasize about seeing them in their native habitats.

Snowflake. :rolleyes:

Snowflake was named before the term became synonymous with candyass.

Ooooh, Ahhhhhh.

• Like 1

Snowflake was named before the term became synonymous with candyass.

Speaking of candyasses, when did you guys go like that?

The ones at the San Diego zoo. Their habitat is sweet and they play and swim all day. Really majestic creatures too.

Is that you're opinion or theirs?

Ooooh, Ahhhhhh.

:lol:

Maybe she was bipolar

Thread title should have read...Bipolar bear 'dies of broken heart'