Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

What if.......

I wanna pose a question to you guys....

What if the Cleveland Browns didnt take a QB at 1 or at 4?

another question: If they took Barkley at #1. what are the odds that they can draft Chubb at #4?

They acquired Tyrod Taylor, and maybe he's not the sexy pick, but on a good team I could see him being a decent game manager. dude doesnt turn over

He got the Bills to the playoffs and NOBODY was predicting big things for the Bills.

so if they got Chubb, that Defense would be elite within a couple of years, and with Barkley, the team would have a run game.

on difference maker on each side of the ball.

Tyrod is a fairly efficient QB. with an elite D He may be good enough. The dude doesnt turn over the football.

Thoughts?

not bad reasoning, but they need a real QB in order to capitalize on the landry investment. otherwise he's just an expensive luxury item with no strategic value. it seems pretty clear that they want tyrod as a transitional guy, with this year's rookie starting in 2019. that gives the new QB and landry 4 solid years together.

barkley and a QB makes sense from a teambuilding perspective. QB and chubb makes sense. without the landry deal, RB and chubb would have made sense (call it the parcells model). but the browns need to be banking on this season being their last chance for a top-5 pick. if they're expecting to be awful yet again (to be able to draft a franchise QB next year), why would they bother even suiting up at all?

IMO all signs point to barkley at 1 and whatever QB is left over at 4. if they go QB at 1, then chubb is likely at 4 since barkley will probably be off the board. IMO the 2nd scenario is probably the most cap-sustainable, since a stud RB getting a 2nd contract is a really sketchy proposition in terms of cap allocation. PIT is dealing with this now, with DAL and JAX to follow in short order.

The rumor I'm getting for my seahawks is. They already have a deal worked out with Cleveland. Depending on who's available of course, at that number 18 pick. But if the guy is there that the Browns want, its a done deal.

That doesn't have anything directly involved with your question. But I mention it because I'm sure your scenario is one of the many, many options they're looking at.

I actually like the barkley/chubb idea. With Landry and a pass catching RB the west coast offense with a game manager suddenly makes a lot of sense. And if the D can be next level, the game plan favors the team that controls the clock, doesnt make turnover, and lets the opponent defeat themselves.

not bad reasoning, but they need a real QB in order to capitalize on the landry investment. otherwise he's just an expensive luxury item with no strategic value. it seems pretty clear that they want tyrod as a transitional guy, with this year's rookie starting in 2019. that gives the new QB and landry 4 solid years together.

barkley and a QB makes sense from a teambuilding perspective. QB and chubb makes sense. without the landry deal, RB and chubb would have made sense (call it the parcells model). but the browns need to be banking on this season being their last chance for a top-5 pick. if they're expecting to be awful yet again (to be able to draft a franchise QB next year), why would they bother even suiting up at all?

IMO all signs point to barkley at 1 and whatever QB is left over at 4. if they go QB at 1, then chubb is likely at 4 since barkley will probably be off the board. IMO the 2nd scenario is probably the most cap-sustainable, since a stud RB getting a 2nd contract is a really sketchy proposition in terms of cap allocation. PIT is dealing with this now, with DAL and JAX to follow in short order.

I actually don't think Barkly will be gone at 4.

The Giants could draft Barkley, but I think it's more likely they go with QB or trade out for more picks given they have a lot of needs. This is an RB deep draft and that can easily be addressed later in the draft. If they trade out of the spot, its going to be a team like Buffalo or Zona that is moving up to get a QB. The Jets are clearly going QB, so unless the G-men go Barkley he's going to be there at 4 if that's where Cleveland wants to go. I think Chubb makes more sense for them otherwise the Carlos Hyde signing seems a bit bizarre for both parties involved. No reason Hyde would sign on in Cleveland to become a marginalized player by mid-season and there's no need to pay the top FA RB if you are going to draft Barkley. You could have gotten another FA RB to be a placeholder for less money.

I actually don't think Barkly will be gone at 4.

The Giants could draft Barkley, but I think it's more likely they go with QB or trade out for more picks given they have a lot of needs. This is an RB deep draft and that can easily be addressed later in the draft. If they trade out of the spot, its going to be a team like Buffalo or Zona that is moving up to get a QB. The Jets are clearly going QB, so unless the G-men go Barkley he's going to be there at 4 if that's where Cleveland wants to go. I think Chubb makes more sense for them otherwise the Carlos Hyde signing seems a bit bizarre for both parties involved. No reason Hyde would sign on in Cleveland to become a marginalized player by mid-season and there's no need to pay the top FA RB if you are going to draft Barkley. You could have gotten another FA RB to be a placeholder for less money.

Id go qb at 1, Chubb at 4. I agree that Chubb will still be there at 4.

Chubb and Garret would be a hell of a headache at end for an offense to deal with.

honestly, the pick that worries me is the Giants.

I think with the departure of Pierre-Paul I could see them grabbing Chubb.

I could also see the giants grabbing a RB.

I truly think those are the most likely candidates for New York unless they trade down.

I would rather have Chubb at 1 and Nelson at 4. They don't need an RB as much as the other positions. We were chatting about this last week in another thread. I'm all in on chubb and nelson if they go this route.

they also have enough draft picks to trade back into round 1 for another pick

I would rather have Chubb at 1 and Nelson at 4. They don't need an RB as much as the other positions. We were chatting about this last week in another thread. I'm all in on chubb and nelson if they go this route.

The Browns spent $110 million on their 2 guards last year with new contracts. There is no way in hell they draft another guard. If they don't come away with a qb with either of their 2 picks it'd be the dumbest thing I've ever seen them do. And I have seen a lot...

The Browns spent $110 million on their 2 guards last year with new contracts. There is no way in hell they draft another guard. If they don't come away with a qb with either of their 2 picks it'd be the dumbest thing I've ever seen them do. And I have seen a lot...

Yep. You have seen them take a lot of bad players. I get it. Thats why they should get chubbs and nelson if they dont go qb.

Good players.

The Browns may be alright this year with no QB drafted in the 1st but they have to do it for the future. Since Couch (who flopped) they have needed a franchise QB, they have to keep drafting them until they get one.,

The Browns may be alright this year with no QB drafted in the 1st but they have to do it for the future. Since Couch (who flopped) they have needed a franchise QB, they have to keep drafting them until they get one.,

well, they have Tyrod and Hyde.

I'd say both are decent quality starters.

I know Tyrod isnt the sexy pickup, but he did get the bills into the playoffs and I dont think the Bills are that good a team.

It wouldnt surprise me if they took Chubb at #1. that Defense would be killer with Him and Garrett together. It's also pretty much a slam dunk.

If they grabbed Chubb and James or Smith that defense would be set up for 5-10 years.

On offense, they signed Landry and they have Josh Gordon and Corey Coleman.

If Gordon returns to the play the way he should that's a pretty solid WR corp.

If he doesnt, you can draft a WR in next year's draft.

well, they have Tyrod and Hyde.

I'd say both are decent quality starters.

I know Tyrod isnt the sexy pickup, but he did get the bills into the playoffs and I dont think the Bills are that good a team.

It wouldnt surprise me if they took Chubb at #1. that Defense would be killer with Him and Garrett together. It's also pretty much a slam dunk.

If they grabbed Chubb and James or Smith that defense would be set up for 5-10 years.

On offense, they signed Landry and they have Josh Gordon and Corey Coleman.

If Gordon returns to the play the way he should that's a pretty solid WR corp.

If he doesnt, you can draft a WR in next year's draft.

I can't see Cleveland going Chubb at 1 because it's so likely he'll be there at 4. The Jets will go QB. The Giants have options, but I think Chubb would be their 4th option. Their options as I see them are

1 - Build for the future - QB

2 - Potential Best Player - Barkley

3 - Fill multiple roster holes - Trade down

4 - Fill a specific need - Chubb / Barkley / Nelson

I think Chubb seems like a longshot for the Giants, at this point because they have so many needs and they have worked out some other d-line prospects that would be going later in round 1. That would leave Chubb for Cleveland at 4. Which is why I think Cleveland goes QB at 1 and Chubb at 4. If they weren't going QB (highly unlikely) and kept the picks it would be Barkley 1 / Chubb 4. However if they weren't going QB I'd have to believe they trade out of one of those spots, but again this isn't the prior ownership, they have a legit GM now and I cannot see them passing on QB here especially when they can still likely get Chubb at 4.

Ever since the Browns traded for Taylor and signed Hyde, my opinion was that they should draft Chubb and #1 to lock down what "could" be a dominating defensive line for the next 3-10(?) years. Then use the #4 pick on Fitzpatrick to boost secondary... or even trade down with Buffalo to pick up picks 12 and 22, and draft Hernandez, James, McGlinchey, or maybe even still get Fitzpatrick (at #12), and address other areas of need. Then they still have picks 33, 35, and 64 where they may be able to add guys like Kolton Miller or Isaiah Wynn (on the line if they didn't get them in the 1st round), or Mike Hughes or Donte Jackson in the secondary. They could fill every hole with a quality player. In the 4th round, there's a chance that Falk or Lauletta could fall and they could use them as projects that they could develop for a couple years if they just give Taylor a 4-year deal.

In the end, I think they take a QB at #1 and take either Chubb or Nelson at 4. Possibly Fitzpatrick... or even trade down. I don't think they'll take Barkley.

If you take Chubb and someone like Barkley, and they both turn out to be as advertised, you can be a solid team right away. But with Tyrod Taylor, you are locked into a Bengals-Dalton like run. Solid, but not a title contender. And with your pick now being in the 16-22 range every year, youll never have a realistic opportunity to improve at QB for a decade.

You take a QB. If he hits, youve built a solid enough foundation to contend for titles. If your QB misses, youll be picking top 5 again soon enough.

• Like 1

Baker mayfield at 1 and Chubb with the 4th pick. Its a no brainer. Anyone but josh Allen and saqoun Barkley. Barkley is awesome but no need to burn a top 5 pick on a RB in the RB heaviest draft class in the last decade

Expecally after you picked up Hyde.

I would think that ended that debate when the Browns picked him up.

QB Browns go QB.

In the end, I think they take a QB at #1 and take either Chubb or Nelson at 4. Possibly Fitzpatrick... or even trade down. I don't think they'll take Barkley.

Best case scenario a QB is drafted at 2 so all non QB players are available at 4. This can help their trade options at 4. But we will see. I just hope the Browns don't waste that early 4th overall pick on an RB.

Elliott with the Cowboys was a different case because they already had a very good offensive line. If he went to the Bengals, He wouldn't be a top 10 RB.

I don't agree with that statement, top five no, but I think the Zeke would be a top ten Rb in ppr with the Bengals.

Psalm 122.

I don't agree with that statement, top five no, but I think the Zeke would be a top ten Rb in ppr with the Bengals.

Psalm 122.

Yeah, he was ready day 1 and would have been far and away superior to the other guys. They'd have had no choice but to play him from the get go. The Bengals could have possibly been in the playoffs each of the last 2 years had they drafted Elliott (not saying they had the chance, just stating the impact he could have made had he been on the team - as compared to Mixon).

The Bengals could have possibly been in the playoffs each of the last 2 years had they drafted Elliott (not saying they had the chance, just stating the impact he could have made had he been on the team - as compared to Mixon).

I don't believe they would have been that much better at all. They are a bad team with a bad oline and a mediocre QB. Elliott went to a team with a top 3 oline, and a promising QB.

There are rare few backs in the history of the NFL that were great on terrible teams. See Walter Payton and Barry Sanders. That is not elliott.

I don't believe they would have been that much better at all. They are a bad team with a bad oline and a mediocre QB. Elliott went to a team with a top 3 oline, and a promising QB.

There are rare few backs in the history of the NFL that were great on terrible teams. See Walter Payton and Barry Sanders. That is not elliott.

I don't know. In 2016, they finished 6-9-1, missing the playoffs by 3.5 games. I'm willing to bet I can find 3.5 games where the Bengals could have benefited from Elliott to get them a win. For example... week 2. They lost to Pittsburgh by 8 points in a game where Bernard and Hill combined for 39 yards rushing. Yeah, they had 137 receiving, but that's the result of them not being able to actually run the ball... plus being down virtually the entire 4th Q. Note, 80 of Bernard's total yards (117), came AFTER they were down 24-9... and he had a fumble. I think that's a game they win because Elliott would have been able to get yards on the ground that those 2 couldn't, to keep drives alive and win that game.

I'm thinking the 4 point loss to the Bills where Hill and Bernard combined for 80 rushing yards is another as well as the following week where they lost by 5 to the Ravens where Burkhead and Hill combined for 50. That, plus probably being a difference maker in that tied game vs Washington puts them at 10-6 and tied with Miami, who they beat, and puts them in the playoffs. I don't think I'm really reaching there. To note, that win vs the Steelers, with those other wins I noted, wins them the division. That puts both them and the Steelers at 10-6 with Cincy having only 1 division loss where as the Steelers would have had at least 2.

Just for the sake of 'covering the bases', even if they lose to Pittsburgh in week 2, I think the 2 point loss vs Houston in Week 16 where Hill and Burkhead combined for 50 yards would be another game where I think Elliott could have been the difference maker.

Of course, if Elliott got suspended for 6 games, so maybe they don't make the playoffs last year. Making the playoffs the year before would have given them a completely different mindset going into last season, so anything could've happened... even them only winning 4 games. My guess though is that double digits would have been more likely.

This is all academic of course, but I'm simply basing my assumptions how what we saw in Dallas over the last 2 years... where we saw how awful the Cowboys were in the 6 games Elliott missed, and the other 26 he played. As well as the mediocre play of the Cincinnati backfield over the last 2 seasons.

I can't at all agree with the statement that the Zeke wouldn't be a top ten ppr rb with the Bengals.

Top ten.

I think he would be.

Proverbs 23

I don't know. In 2016, they finished 6-9-1, missing the playoffs by 3.5 games. I'm willing to bet I can find 3.5 games where the Bengals could have benefited from Elliott to get them a win. For example... week 2. They lost to Pittsburgh by 8 points in a game where Bernard and Hill combined for 39 yards rushing. Yeah, they had 137 receiving, but that's the result of them not being able to actually run the ball... plus being down virtually the entire 4th Q. Note, 80 of Bernard's total yards (117), came AFTER they were down 24-9... and he had a fumble. I think that's a game they win because Elliott would have been able to get yards on the ground that those 2 couldn't, to keep drives alive and win that game.

I'm thinking the 4 point loss to the Bills where Hill and Bernard combined for 80 rushing yards is another as well as the following week where they lost by 5 to the Ravens where Burkhead and Hill combined for 50. That, plus probably being a difference maker in that tied game vs Washington puts them at 10-6 and tied with Miami, who they beat, and puts them in the playoffs. I don't think I'm really reaching there. To note, that win vs the Steelers, with those other wins I noted, wins them the division. That puts both them and the Steelers at 10-6 with Cincy having only 1 division loss where as the Steelers would have had at least 2.

Just for the sake of 'covering the bases', even if they lose to Pittsburgh in week 2, I think the 2 point loss vs Houston in Week 16 where Hill and Burkhead combined for 50 yards would be another game where I think Elliott could have been the difference maker.

Of course, if Elliott got suspended for 6 games, so maybe they don't make the playoffs last year. Making the playoffs the year before would have given them a completely different mindset going into last season, so anything could've happened... even them only winning 4 games. My guess though is that double digits would have been more likely.

This is all academic of course, but I'm simply basing my assumptions how what we saw in Dallas over the last 2 years... where we saw how awful the Cowboys were in the 6 games Elliott missed, and the other 26 he played. As well as the mediocre play of the Cincinnati backfield over the last 2 seasons.

So what you are saying is if the Dallas OLine dressed up in orange and Zeke ran behind it youd be in the playoffs

Baker mayfield at 1 and Chubb with the 4th pick. Its a no brainer. Anyone but josh Allen and saqoun Barkley. Barkley is awesome but no need to burn a top 5 pick on a RB in the RB heaviest draft class in the last decade

It is a strong class but I would say last years class is easily stronger at RB than this one.

So what you are saying is if the Dallas OLine dressed up in orange and Zeke ran behind it youd be in the playoffs

No, I'm saying if you have Ezekiel Elliott on your team and a competent QB, you'll be in the playoffs. The caliber of line isn't as important, he IS that good.

I would agree, too often that is the case, the rb is offten times better the Oline he playes behind.

The Zeke is that good.

No, I'm saying if you have Ezekiel Elliott on your team and a competent QB, you'll be in the playoffs. The caliber of line isn't as important, he IS that good.

Didn't Drew Brees and LaDanian Tomlinson have a couple years with no playoffs?

Didn't the Bengals make the playoffs in 2014 when J Hill was a rookie, and then won their divison in 2015 in Hills second season.

They might have even won a playoff game those two seasons of they had the Zeke over Hill.

IMO.

Matthews 5:27&28.

Didn't Drew Brees and LaDanian Tomlinson have a couple years with no playoffs?

"Couple"? No. Just one. What happened in the next 4 years? They made the playoffs, didn't they? If you're going to tell me that Brees was a competent QB in 2002 and 2003, then you're bloody nuts. Besides, he didn't play a third of the 2003 season anyway.

"Couple"? No. Just one. What happened in the next 4 years? They made the playoffs, didn't they? If you're going to tell me that Brees was a competent QB in 2002 and 2003, then you're bloody nuts. Besides, he didn't play a third of the 2003 season anyway.

Ok.So Prescott was better than Brees and Elliott is = to Tomlinsin. Nice.

Prescott in his first two years has clearly been better than what Brees was in his first 2 years. That's irrefutable. Going forward is what is debatable. Elliott is = to Tomlinson... yes.

Elliott is = to Tomlinson... yes.

I don't buy into that from my perspective as I think Tomlinson was better than everyone ever except from Payton. Elliott is just a mess that has had a better oline than Payton, Sanders, Tomlinson, etc... has ever had.

I don't buy into that from my perspective as I think Tomlinson was better than everyone ever except from Payton. Elliott is just a mess that has had a better oline than Payton, Sanders, Tomlinson, etc... has ever had.

What he is off the field and what he is on the field are two different things. If he gets his head out of his butt and wises up, then he'll be in for a monster career.

What he is off the field and what he is on the field are two different things. If he gets his head out of his butt and wises up, then he'll be in for a monster career.

I get your point. But that is TBD. And all I mean is I would not yet compare him to probably one of the top two RBs in NFL history. Just my thought.

I get your point. But that is TBD. And all I mean is I would not yet compare him to probably one of the top two RBs in NFL history. Just my thought.

For the record, I didn't bring up Tomlinson, you did :) . I started off comparing Elliott to the Bengals backfield. That said, my point is based on what they are a the same point in time. After 2 seasons, the average 16-game season puts Elliott at 129.8 yards and 1 TD per game with an average of 4.6 yards per carry. Tomlinson, averaged 118 yards and 0.75 TD's per game with an average of 4.1 yards per game. Clearly, Elliott after 2 seasons is better than LaDainian Tomlinson. Back to my prior point, Elliott has to keep his head out of his butt. After 2 seasons, Prescott + Elliott is more productive that Brees + Tomlinson. I highly doubt that continues on the QB side going forward (highly), but I don't doubt it at that the RB side.

p.s.... After 2 seasons, Elliott is more productive than Payton and Barry Sanders (based on yards, TD's, and ypa per game over a 16 game average - the only exception is that Sander had a higher average per rush than Elliott, but less yards and TD's [again - per game]), but those guys are far too gone from this era to really compare.

This is the deepest RB class there may have ever been. Theres 6-8 viable starting RBs in this class with a couple studs at the top. Leonard Fournette is not that good, McCaffery and Kamara May be the two best RBs from that class. This class has Barkley, Guice who will be better than those two and Im a saints fan. Then you have Royce Freeman, Rashard Penny, Michel, Chubb, Nyheim Hines, etc that can all be better than Fournette who will be out of the league if he even makes it to a second deal

It is a strong class but I would say last years class is easily stronger at RB than this one.