Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - WR JuJu Smith-Schuster, Steelers

The Steelers have an incredible track record of drafting receivers, but I really do not care for this pick unless they truly believe Martavis Bryant has cleaned up his act. Smith-Schuster has drawn a lot of comparisons to Anquan Boldin, but he is more a poor man's Hakeem Nicks in my opinion. Smith-Schuster's best asset is his size (6-2, 220) and one of his best traits is his ability to turn into a running back after the catch. His size undoubtedly helps him when it comes to blocking, although it's not hard to see he takes pride in that part of his craft. He does have a flair for the spectacular catch as well, but he has inconsistent hands and doesn't create a lot of separation. Smith-Schuster should carve himself out a nice NFL career, but it's hard to see him emerge as anything more than a decent third option for Ben Roethlisberger anytime soon.

Did you not notice the total crap Steelers had at WR last season. Even with Bryant coming back (risky he stays at that), Ju Ju is an immediate competition for #3 in one of best offenses in the NFL. What's not to like.

• Like 1

Did you not notice the total crap Steelers had at WR last season. Even with Bryant coming back (risky he stays at that), Ju Ju is an immediate competition for #3 in one of best offenses in the NFL. What's not to like.

Fair enough. But if this guy is having trouble separating from Washington and Alabama DBs, what makes you think he's going to beat out Bryant/Coates? I'll grant you JuJu will be a better pro than Wheaton turned out to be, but there's only so much room for a receiver like him when AB is getting all the short and intermediate stuff. I was not impressed by his tape, in case you couldn't tell.

I agree with you 100%. He isn't NFL ready in the sense he will be a starter from day one. Antonio wasn't either, nor was Hines Ward. In case anyone missed it, neither did very well in their pre draft activities, yet both seemed to be perfectly fine in the NFL. Too much stock is placed in the 40 and these kids are over analyzed. I listen to Sirious Radio, the NFL Channel, all day at work. Too many scouts had this kid as the 4th best WR in this class to ignore that. The draftniks may not like him, but who they hell are they??? They've never scouted.

Comparing him to Nicks isn't so bad. Prior to his injuries, Nicks was a damn good WR. Go look at his numbers. It was only after his knees and ankles gave out that he turned into a POS WR. If this kid's career is 8 years of what Nicks was in his first two, I'd take that all day long at this pick in the draft. I still have my old Lindy's draft magazines and can tell you that NOBODY was high on the Antonio Bryant pick and Hines Ward was considered a "reach" as a former QB. Again, forget what people tell you and listen to the old time scouts. They like this kid a lot and I agree. It's a nice change to see Pitt select a WR who can hit the DB as hard as they hit him.

Fair enough. But if this guy is having trouble separating from Washington and Alabama DBs, what makes you think he's going to beat out Bryant/Coates? I'll grant you JuJu will be a better pro than Wheaton turned out to be, but there's only so much room for a receiver like him when AB is getting all the short and intermediate stuff. I was not impressed by his tape, in case you couldn't tell.

Love your breakdowns but you are missing some basics here. Since when do teams only play 2 WRs? Cincy picked John Ross, by your logic he should never see the field cause he has to beat out Boyd and AJ. Teams should never have more than 2 good wrs I guess.

Love your breakdowns but you are missing some basics here. Since when do teams only play 2 WRs? Cincy picked John Ross, by your logic he should never see the field cause he has to beat out Boyd and AJ. Teams should never have more than 2 good wrs I guess.

I never said that and I'm not sure I even implied that. In fact, I assume three "starting" receivers on most teams.

At this point, I think Coates and Bryant create more separation and give Pittsburgh something JuJu probably won't - big downfield plays. Brown is going to be a 100-catch guy regardless and Bell will probably push 80 again. IF Bryant keeps him nose clean, JuJu doesn't become anything more than the third receiver. It's not a bad gig, but I'm not going crazy over him.

Ross probably will start sooner than later and I don't think there is nearly as much question as to if he should beat out Boyd or LaFell. LaFell will probably start the season due to veteran deference, but Ross is the guy of that bunch (as long as he can hold up).

I actually think their track record is pretty bad lately. They cannot draft a competent compliment to Brown

Recently, it is not as good. However, after hitting on the likes of Hines Ward, Mike Wallace and Brown on Day 2 or after and not putting much in terms of high picks into the position, I'd say they are still doing all right. IF Bryant can stay on the field, maybe we can add him to the list.

Also, let's remember I usually have less than 10 minutes to come up with what I am going to write on each player before I have to move on to the next one, so I may occasionally leave a note or two out about a guy when I write these up.

I think JuJu lands in a great situation here. He's a nice change-up to what Pittsburgh has as the position now. I'm just not crazy about his skill-set or his inability to produce against the top secondaries he faced this year with one of the top college quarterbacks in the country throwing him the ball.

Can't get to excited about Coates.

Even when he was healthy he can't seem to catch the ball very consistently.

I like the pick because the Steelers needed a third wr.

It's not a great pick but I can see JuJu being a good wr3 for them.

A lot of talk and speculation about Sammie Coates, but no one is mentioning Eli Rogers being on this team as well.

He is going to have a role in this offense as well.

Naw I don't think Rodgers is going to be in the picture all that much.

He saw only 60 plus targets last season.

If Bryant comes back and can stay on the team and Coates returns and they fixed the holes in his hands and with them drafting JuJu I don't see much work for Rodgers.

Naw I don't think Rodgers is going to be in the picture all that much.

He saw only 60 plus targets last season.

If Bryant comes back and can stay on the team and Coates returns and they fixed the holes in his hands and with them drafting JuJu I don't see much work for Rodgers.

Only saw 60+ targets? He was the third most targeted player on that offense.

He caught nearly 73% of the passes thrown his way.

His job with the Steelers is safer than either Coates OR Bryant. There's no guarantee Martavis is on the roster next season.

This is a guy that tweeted during the draft that JuJu is going to take Coates' job. That's absolutely BS for a teammate to do that. He doesn't understand how to be a professional. I'd lay even money on him not even being with the team before the season starts. He's trash.

It was 66 targets.

And if Bryant does indeed make it back and stays on the team and Coates has his hands fixed and with the drafting of JuJu I truly don't see Rodgers being a true factor.

If the other three things happen of course.

Sorry about disagreeing with you I know you have a self esteem issue.