Sign in to follow this  
Sho Nuff

Another school shooting. Houston

People in 1790 weren't having mass shootings. Or electricity to power the internet.

Okay? What's your point? We are arguing about what the Founding Fathers meant, not what YOU think it should mean today.

Okay? What's your point? We are arguing about what the Founding Fathers meant, not what YOU think it should mean today.

My point is the founding fathers couldn't predict the future, nor were they infallible.

Wait....Are you asking me to go by the cars vs guns stats, or are you asking me to use common sense in terms of how cars vs guns are used?

I want to know why you want the law abiding citizens to do some time because a criminal did the crime.

I didn't suggest throwing $ at anything. What is your free solution?

Hang anyone who is caught with a weapon who isn't allowed to possess a weapon.

EZ PZ

My point is the founding fathers couldn't predict the future, nor were they infallible.

No one said they could, or were. And we have made changes to the constitution as a result. If you want to change it then feel free to use the process they defined in doing so. You're trying to do an end around by reinterpreting what they meant when they passed the 2nd amendment. And you're rightly getting called out on it.

No one said they could, or were. And we have made changes to the constitution as a result. If you want to change it then feel free to use the process they defined in doing so. You're trying to do an end around by reinterpreting what they meant when they passed the 2nd amendment. And you're rightly getting called out on it.

I'm not suggesting changing the amendment. I'm suggesting we strengthen the "well regulated" part of our "militia". ;)

I want to know why you want the law abiding citizens to do some time because a criminal did the crime.

I'm not the right type of intelligent to understand what this means.

I'm not the right type of intelligent to understand what this means.

He doesn't want gun owners to be held responsible for crimes committed with their guns.

He doesn't want gun owners to be held responsible for crimes committed with their guns.

Why should they be?

If someone steals my car and kills someone am I liable?

Should parents be required to lock up booze in their home or be liable if their child drinks and drives?

The person who pulls the trigger is the criminal, not the owner of the gun. If a thief wants something bad enough, he’s going to get it.

The person who pulls the trigger is the criminal, not the owner of the gun. If a thief wants something bad enough, he’s going to get it.

<Penultimatelogic>I dunno man. I think in the Kate Steinle murder we should prosecute the cop who's gun got stolen, not the illegal who actually used it. </Penultimatelogic>

People are suggesting gun owners be responsible for storing their firearms securely, and promptly reporting if they are stolen.

For instance, gun owners are required to have a safe which scans a gun when you put it away/remove it. If a criminal steals the gun while out of the safe (when the owner should know its whereabouts) or the safe is broken into/stolen, the missing firearm should be promptly reported, or the owner be held liable for negligence. If your weapon is stolen when you're out of town, you report it when you get back. Or the safe could have a remote monitoring system to report if it is breached.

People are suggesting gun owners be responsible for storing their firearms securely, and promptly reporting if they are stolen.

For instance, gun owners are required to have a safe which scans a gun when you put it away/remove it. If a criminal steals the gun while out of the safe (when the owner should know its whereabouts) or the safe is broken into/stolen, the missing firearm should be promptly reported, or the owner be held liable for negligence. If your weapon is stolen when you're out of town, you report it when you get back. Or the safe could have a remote monitoring system to report if it is breached.

I laughed at all of this. A remote monitoring system in a safe? Come on man.

<Penultimatelogic>I dunno man. I think in the Kate Steinle murder we should prosecute the cop who's gun got stolen, not the illegal who actually used it. </Penultimatelogic>

Well, I've handled a lot of guns, and none have been stolen, so I routinely leave loaded weapons out in the open. I find it much more convenient to fight off the oppressors, and they really add to the curb appeal of my home. I can't help it if some criminal trespasses and steals my sh!T :mad:

I laughed at all of this. A remote monitoring system in a safe? Come on man.

Safes can't be alarmed? Where you gonna store your cryptocurrency?

http://www.libertysafe.com/accessory-safelert-monitoring-system-ps-17-pg-85.html

SAFELERT (PN #13558) is the newest innovation in smart devices to help monitor your safe and works on any brand. This compact, battery-powered monitoring device is easily installed inside your safe using your wi-fi system. When your safe’s conditions change (movement, rise in temperature, humidity level, door opening, etc.), SAFELERT detects and sends alerts (via texts or emails) directly to you.

Safes can't be alarmed?

Most safes already beep if someone types in a wrong code. You are making it sound like a very expensive security system that is connected to some kind of network.

Most safes already beep if someone types in a wrong code. You are making it sound like a very expensive security system that is connected to some kind of network.

A beep doesn't help if the homeowner is away. Check out the link I added. C'mon man, I thought you were technologically sophisticated!?!

A beep doesn't help if the homeowner is away. Check out the link I added. C'mon man, I thought you were technologically sophisticated!?!

I am. I am thinking of the cost and the typical demographic of gun owners. Especially in rural areas. They can't afford that. Dumb idea.

I have had a gun stolen, filed a police report, etc.

I worked construction out of town in my early 20's and would hunt after work on my way home. During deer season I had a 30-06 stolen from my car at a job site.

This was 10+ years ago.

I am. I am thinking of the cost and the typical demographic of gun owners. Especially in rural areas. They can't afford that. Dumb idea.

Bullsh!t. Guns and ammo are expensive too. Gun owners just don’t want to sacrifice anything.

The majority: Hey gun folk, are you willing to have a conversation about changes we could make that would maybe make people safer yet allow you to keep your guns?

Gun folk: Of course.

The majority: We were thinking maybe guns should be secured in some way, maybe a safe, and if your guns go missing you are required to report it to authorities?

Gun folk: No way. Be realistic.

Bullsh!t. Guns and ammo are expensive too. Gun owners just dont want to sacrifice anything.

Not all gun owners have a bunch of ammo man. Some guys can only afford a box or two.

The majority: Hey gun folk, are you willing to have a conversation about changes we could make that would maybe make people safer yet allow you to keep your guns?

Gun folk: Of course.

The majority: We were thinking maybe guns should be secured in some way, maybe a safe, and if your guns go missing you are required to report it to authorities?

Gun folk: No way. Be realistic.

Yep. And nobody cares about lowlifes shooting each other or killing themselves. Guns make this country great!

Not all gun owners have a bunch of ammo man. Some guys can only afford a box or two.

Im sure they exist, but the average gun owner has multiple firearms and plenty of ammo. And if you’re just using it for self defense, two boxes is plenty.

Sure, but the wording of the constitution is up for interpretation.

How do you suggest we eliminate the influence of social media on society?

Who wants to eliminate it. How about instead we acknowledge that this is one of the root causes of the school shooting problem, vs dem gunz, and look into ways to make our special snowflake millenials less homicidal? :dunno:

But you can ? And your not? :doh: :lol:

But you can ? And your not? :doh: :lol:

No I can’t and I’m not - my point is 2a is up for interpretation. So far, the courts have sided with gun owners, but I believe public opinion is changing and the law makers will soon follow.

Who wants to eliminate it. How about instead we acknowledge that this is one of the root causes of the school shooting problem, vs dem gunz, and look into ways to make our special snowflake millenials less homicidal? :dunno:

No one denies dat internet is a part of the equation. Yet some (most?) of you guys act like widespread firearm availability is irrelevant.

Im all for suggestions for improving/restricting social media and reversing the mentality of those pesky snowflakes. But as I said before, gun access is a more easily modifiable risk factor.

Turns out yesterday was unfounded and they didn't find anybody. The school lockdown ended about an hour after I picked her up.

Just crazy that these are decisions we even have to make.

No one denies dat internet is a part of the equation. Yet some (most?) of you guys act like widespread firearm availability is irrelevant.

Im all for suggestions for improving/restricting social media and reversing the mentality of those pesky snowflakes. But as I said before, gun access is a more easily modifiable risk factor.

For school shootings, I don't think "widespread availability" is a major problem. I think parents not locking up their weapons is a major problem. If I owned a gun, which I don't, I could not imagine leaving it where my teenagers could get it. Teens are irrational; the male frontal lobe doesn't fully develop until about 25.

I'm not sure what to do other than some combo of education and punishment. :dunno:

Link? In particular, I'd like to know what they meant by well regulated militia. And how they were able to predict the future regarding the types of firearms which would be available.

"Militia" refers to all able bodied men of fighting age. "Well regulated" meant that they were proficient in the use of arms.

"Able bodied men proficient in the use of arms being necessary to maintain a state of freedom, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

That's my interpretation.

As for predicting the future, the Founders were well aware that advancements in firearms technology had taken place prior, were taking place at that time and would certainly continue to take place in the future. Whether or not they could envision how the people would turn out is another matter which,in my opinion, might have swayed their judgement more so than technological advances in the firearms industry.

Im sure they exist, but the average gun owner has multiple firearms and plenty of ammo. And if you’re just using it for self defense, two boxes is plenty.

Eh, I'd disagree with the first statement, most guys just have 1-2 a few boxes of ammo and keep it in a safe. Most gun owners aren't hobby shooters.

Turns out yesterday was unfounded and they didn't find anybody. The school lockdown ended about an hour after I picked her up.

Just crazy that these are decisions we even have to make.

Probably was a paintball gun and you and the rest of the gun snowflakes are in full meltdown over it.

Thoughts and prayers still not working. Hmmm. Keep the T&P's coming, eventually they'll work!

Pelosi is sending prayers... Why isn't the media on her?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=ahO0cfB3Kts

https://www.dailywire.com/news/31032/watch-santa-fe-survivor-cnn-challenge-nancy-pelosi-amanda-prestigiacomo

"Following a tragedy like this all we want to do is pray for the families, but I do not support arming teachers and the rest," Pelosi stated.

Probably was a paintball gun and you and the rest of the gun snowflakes are in full meltdown over it.

Psst....im not the one who needs the gun. HTH.

#paranoid

Psst....im not the one who needs the gun. HTH.

#paranoid

Seriously though, I doubt it was even a real gun. Probably wasn't even a gun honestly of any form. Wouldn't be surprised if it was some kid with a black bat. You freaked out over nothing. No one is paranoid but you.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the entire story was fabricated. I can't find one article coming from Iowa about schools getting locked down yesterday. Not a single thing. Turning into an agenda pusher. That sh!t didn't even happen. I hate when people make BS up.

Seriously though, I doubt it was even a real gun. Probably wasn't even a gun honestly of any form. Wouldn't be surprised if it was some kid with a black bat. You freaked out over nothing. No one is paranoid but you.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the entire story was fabricated. I can't find one article coming from Iowa about schools getting locked down yesterday. Not a single thing. Turning into an agenda pusher. That sh!t didn't even happen. I hate when people make BS up.

I totally agree. Parents that react when they hear of people with rifles near their kids schools are paranoid, as this type stuff doesn't actually happen...and if for some reason it actually does happen, it's not that big a deal.

I totally agree. Parents that react when they hear of people with rifles near their kids schools are paranoid, as this type stuff doesn't actually happen...and if for some reason it actually does happen, it's not that big a deal.

Probably some dumbass purple haired mom saw a regular kid walking with something that resembled a gun and caused an unneeded sh!t storm. But Im also still on team none of that ever even happened.