Sign in to follow this  
fanfootballtn

Poor performances in the playoffs make owners feel like this is their last time playing FF

For two weeks straight, the so called studs have put up horrible numbers. All of a sudden, there is a drop off in scoring and vulture happy players step up and perform better. You've spent all year reading articles, subscribing to pay sites for fantasy football advice only to lose in the 1st and 2nd round. It doesn't matter if you had the #1 seed and undefeated. You lost because your studs were duds. Makes you question if it's worth the time invested and whether or not you should play next year. What studs are you heading to the FU thread to call out and why? :bench:

Drew Brees. He trolled me with the worst 2 week stretch of his career only to show up this week and be totally fine/good. He's done this before I guess but the last two weeks were especially choice.

I got killed today. My studs were duds but I don't even think they played up to expectations I wouldn't have won today. The opponent I played today was the hot team he had won six in a row before his bye and his team kept it going. He didn't even have his number one pick Julio going but had the depth to kill me.

I made every right move in my lineup, like sitting Spencer Ware to play Ty Montgomery; sitting TY Hilton and playing RMatthews, etc.

But I sat Brees and played Rivers, and my 11-2 team is going to lose to a 7-6 because of it - unless DJAX is enormous and GOlsen sucks. Such is FF.

I've been dealing with poor performances in weeks 14-16 for a very long time. Never made feel like quitting FF though

I've had some good ones, too, though. Like Cooks in my two remaining leagues. Me happy.

It has a significant luck component to it, however there is some skill involved in positioning yourself strongly before the cards are even dealt.

This is why I will continue to play. I believe I influence my teams chances by drafting and managing well, whilst being aware luck may be against me that Sunday. So I don't take losing to heart.

I play in 2 leagues, and I strongly avoid drafting the same player on both to avoid the double bust or double injury hit. Last year I cashed in one league, this year it appears I am cashing in the other.

If you can manage to always be in the hunt it seems to make financial sense to keep at it, does it not?

Yep, I'm about done with FF. It takes some skill to draft and maintain a good team, but the playoffs are pure luck.

We stopped doing head to head in 2008. Haven't looked back. The best team has won it every year.

It has a significant luck component to it, however there is some skill involved in positioning yourself strongly before the cards are even dealt.

This is why I will continue to play. I believe I influence my teams chances by drafting and managing well, whilst being aware luck may be against me that Sunday. So I don't take losing to heart.

I play in 2 leagues, and I strongly avoid drafting the same player on both to avoid the double bust or double injury hit. Last year I cashed in one league, this year it appears I am cashing in the other.

If you can manage to always be in the hunt it seems to make financial sense to keep at it, does it not?

I love ffb.

However, I've grown super sour on the pure head to head season-long format. Sometimes it all works out and the 'best' team ends up with the title and it's fine. In 10 years in a work league, the 'best' team has at least been in the finals about half the time.

It's all too common that who you play and when matters more than how you score in the standard format. Sure, if you score really well more often than not, you'll likely be in the hunt by playoffs if lots of teams make the plays in your league. But 4-6 months is a long time to spend doing fantasy stuff only to end up having it go bad via unlucky shenanigans.

I'm going to push in any league I'm in to explore something other than the weekly head to head crapshoot. I think I'd much rather do the 'half and half' so at least you're competing against the whole league each week. That way, the weaker teams have a harder time operating with false hope based on a lucky stretch of points against.

It's tough tho...straight power ranking leagues where 'most points at the end wins' makes the weaker teams give up even sooner and a league with 'dead' teams is less fun and free agency is a lock to end up super out of balance.

In one league I have Antonio and the other I have Julio. Needless to say neither has done **** the last two weeks and as a result I was booted in one league (where I was the points leader but losing to the #4 seed) and hanging on by a thread in another.

Happens every year.

Injuries, fresh legs, resting for the playoffs, teams out of contention, players coming back from injury becoming relevant again.

All the reading, drafting, wavering, trading and maneuvering means very little.

This game is 99.999% luck.

Prefer total point leagues, over H to H leagues always have.

But I agree with the OP, if you are spending money on ff advice then it is a waste.

I've always done my own and and the end of every season I never feel like there was any waste of time nor money.

Only lost money is because I was out coached by the other owners especially in a total points league.

Can't wait for next season to start my 29th ff season.

God Bless and Merry Christmas.

I am going to make the championship game in the same two leagues I won last year. Not sure why it's so hard for some people. Just need superior skillz I guess.

I do not have exact numbers for my league, but we're in our 16th year and I would wager only 3 or 4 times did the league champion actually enter the playoffs as the #1 seed. Our number 1 seed will lose this year as well.

Oh, and head to head determine the top seeds for playoff bye, with power rankings determining the other 4 teams in playoffs.

Power rankings including points and overall record if you play each team each week.

One league I played in was always point total and I really did well in that league winning it for four straight years at one point but yea people start to lose interest earlier if they fall behind. Leagues I am in now are all head to head and I have made it to semis but have yet to make it to the big show. I missed by two points last year on a garbage time one yard TD to my opponents tight end. What killed me on that one was that drive should have ended on a catch on forth down when the WR was out of bounds. Anyway I agree that the playoffs are a crap shoot with a lot of luck involved.

after reading this thread I had a thought come to me...what if the season remains head to head. then week 13 the teams that qualify for playoffs play in a total points bracket for weeks 14-17. no head to head, just finish based on points? Thoughts? anyone doing this? Does this make sense?

I am going to make the championship game in the same two leagues I won last year. Not sure why it's so hard for some people. Just need superior skillz I guess.

4 out of 5 years I made it to superbowl, I have lost them all though, will see about next week though :thumbsup:

after reading this thread I had a thought come to me...what if the season remains head to head. then week 13 the teams that qualify for playoffs play in a total points bracket for weeks 14-17. no head to head, just finish based on points? Thoughts? anyone doing this? Does this make sense?

It does make sense. I always lean toward total points takes some of the fun out of the game, but it is a better representation of how good a team is.

Now that type of scoring system makes a lot of since to be also.

That's something I will bring up going forward in my H to H leagues.

Over all I do think total points is the better out come of how an owner has performed.

Now you might lose some owners who fall behind early and often in a total points league, but they still have to pay up each week.

And the worst you finsh each week the more you pay.

So that does keep more people interested to stay on top of things.

Pretty sure it`s about the same in most leagues, it takes skill to make the playoffs but winning them is as much about luck as anything else.

More like great performances that barely get beat by an even better performance. My 6 losses this year...

82-117

124-142

106-115

101-123

103-132

114-124 (most points scored all year, but lost in wildcard round - other 2 teams scored 90 -76)

Most teams were average between 80-99 points in most of these losses.

All you can do is put yourself in the best position to succeed based on the information you have. I have 4 teams this year, going to be in the 'ship game with 2 of them. Would have been 3 of the 4, but I ran into the LeVeon buzzsaw.

Bad beats are a part of life.

Bad beats and bad performances really are just part of it.

it's the injuries and losing to the top score, when you're the 2nd high score that have me losing my mind.

I had Brady/Moss 07/08 and lost in the semi-finals. I know all about bad beats :wall:

Hilton, Adams and Watkins combined for 8 points...8 points!!! One guy catching a simple 20 yd TD pass is 8 points, and I get 3 WRs playing full games that can only muster that much combined. :mad:

But, I'll still play next year :)

Our league actually plays all 17 weeks and even though there are HTH match-ups which have a cash prize at the end the 6 of 12 teams who make the play-offs are determined by a scoring scale of 11-0.In other words week 1 you lose to the highest scoring team but your team is 2nd highest for the week you'd get 10 points for the week.The 11-0 scale is added each week and at the end of 17 weeks thosr 6 top teams make our play-offs.We then have a redraft and you can keep any play-off players already on your team and then redraft from the 6 teams that did not make it for a post-season points tournament with the winner being declared Super Bowl Sunday.

The 12 team league is $210 entry per team and there are numerous pay-outs to keep all teams interested.This is just a sample of what we do but we all LOVE the format.

Our league actually plays all 17 weeks and even though there are HTH match-ups which have a cash prize at the end the 6 of 12 teams who make the play-offs are determined by a scoring scale of 11-0.In other words week 1 you lose to the highest scoring team but your team is 2nd highest for the week you'd get 10 points for the week.The 11-0 scale is added each week and at the end of 17 weeks thosr 6 top teams make our play-offs.We then have a redraft and you can keep any play-off players already on your team and then redraft from the 6 teams that did not make it for a post-season points tournament with the winner being declared Super Bowl Sunday.

The 12 team league is $210 entry per team and there are numerous pay-outs to keep all teams interested.This is just a sample of what we do but we all LOVE the format.

Nice, sounds interesting. Although I wouldnt like the redrafting of players that are on nonplayoff teams. but I love the scaling concept. So with this there are no win loss records then right?

Nice, sounds interesting. Although I wouldnt like the redrafting of players that are on nonplayoff teams. but I love the scaling concept. So with this there are no win loss records then right?

No,there are still win/loss records but only for the purpose of two small cash prizes at the end for 1st and 2nd best records.The scaling is perfect because as of this morning we have one team at 5-10 that is in the play-offs and a 10-5 team that is not,the 5-10 team had a stretch where he lost his hth 5 weeks straight to the highest scoring team when he himself was in the top tier of scoring.

This also makes MNF quite exciting as if you have no players going you're closely watching all the other teams that do because you can get jumped on the scoring scale very easily.

I love the competition to much to quit, but yeah, losing sucks. You get over it after 24 hours though.

I think the biggest hurdle to climb as the season goes on is to completely abandon "season long" rankings. That is one of the biggest skill factors left in this game. It's also something that many fantasy host sites haven't implemented into their stats sections. Sure you can check the last four weeks, but sometimes even then that's too long of a time period. Your first, second, or third round pick is no longer that any more. The playoffs are almost essentially DFS. Find the guys with the best matchups and churn the WW if possible.

When you look at a team defense like the Vikings, the first 2/3 of the season are telling people that they're a stout defense. Over the last few weeks RB's, particularly pass catching RB's, have shredded them. Injuries have certainly contributed towards that, but they're still listed as giving up the 8th fewest points to the position for the season.

A guy like Robby Anderson should hypothetically be started in almost all leagues right now. He has 2 more targets over the last four games than Antonio Brown. He has almost the same amount of fantasy points as Mike Evans in that time period.

I know I'm not going to, but I think this is the closest I've felt to that point ever.

A lot has to do with the fact that I don't like a lot about what's going on with the league in general right now, but I feel that since I'm invested in fantasy (and considering the type of personality I know I have), I still consume the product. That means doing a few hours of online "research" every week, watching dvr of NFL Fantasy Live every night after work, watching bad Thurs night games that I'd never normally watch, etc etc etc. It's kind of insane when you think about it.

If I dropped fantasy, I know I wouldn't consume more than a few games per week that I actually did care about, which would open up more time in theory for other pursuits.

I dropped fantasy basketball a few years back, and it's so nice to not be fixated on my team every night. I wonder if I'd feel the same if I dropped football.

I'll probably never know though.

It's part of the game. We have no control over the players at all or our opponents. Best to think of FF as a fun game, not a serious endeavor. Highest scoring team in one league didn't even make the playoffs. It's just for fun and friendly faux competition.

I know I'm not going to, but I think this is the closest I've felt to that point ever.

A lot has to do with the fact that I don't like a lot about what's going on with the league in general right now, but I feel that since I'm invested in fantasy (and considering the type of personality I know I have), I still consume the product. That means doing a few hours of online "research" every week, watching dvr of NFL Fantasy Live every night after work, watching bad Thurs night games that I'd never normally watch, etc etc etc. It's kind of insane when you think about it.

If I dropped fantasy, I know I wouldn't consume more than a few games per week that I actually did care about, which would open up more time in theory for other pursuits.

I dropped fantasy basketball a few years back, and it's so nice to not be fixated on my team every night. I wonder if I'd feel the same if I dropped football.

I'll probably never know though.

Best Post :first:

Entered the playoffs as a wildcard coming off a 149 point performance the week before and going up against the 5th place team, I was projected to score 115 while my opponent was projected to score 90. I ended up scoring just over 60 points...The very next week in the 5th place game I scored over 130 points. 149 to 60 to 130 in the span of three weeks. :huh:

So that 5th place team that beat me went on to face the #1 seed who had a bye the week Bell went nuts (among other players on his roster) and also had a monster week when it didn't matter. The #1 seed was also projected around 115 points vs the 5th seed's 90 points. The #5 seed had a horrible week again and scored in the low 80's. The #1 seed scored in the low 60's.

The 5th place team is now headed to the finals after posting back to back horrible weeks but being lucky enough to have faced two heavily favored teams that severely disappointed.

Fantasy football can be a very cruel game that can drive anyone to the brink. With that said, I'll be back here next August. :headbanger:

• Like 1

Entered the playoffs as a wildcard coming off a 149 point performance the week before and going up against the 5th place team, I was projected to score 115 while my opponent was projected to score 90. I ended up scoring just over 60 points...The very next week in the 5th place game I scored over 130 points. 149 to 60 to 130 in the span of three weeks. :huh:

So that 5th place team that beat me went on to face the #1 seed who had a bye the week Bell went nuts (among other players on his roster) and also had a monster week when it didn't matter. The #1 seed was also projected around 115 points vs the 5th seed's 90 points. The #5 seed had a horrible week again and scored in the low 80's. The #1 seed scored in the low 60's.

The 5th place team is now headed to the finals after posting back to back horrible weeks but being lucky enough to have faced two heavily favored teams that severely disappointed.

Fantasy football can be a very cruel game that can drive anyone to the brink. With that said, I'll be back here next August. :headbanger:

Sounds like my league. :thumbsup: 12 team league, QBs passing TDs are worth 6. My totally mediocre team got in as the #4 seed at 7-6. I beat the #5 seed Wk 14 when his QB Brees had the zero-TD stinker at TB. Wk 15 I beat the #2 seed when his QB Rodgers has no TDs at Chicago; if Devante Adams holds onto one of those TD passes, I lose. (The #6 beat the #1 in the other semi, and I would have lost to either of them that week.) Finally, Wk 16 I win the title when the #6 seed had his QB Stafford score one TD (rushing).

On the flip side, a few years ago I had the highest point total in the league and didn't even make the playoffs. It felt like I played the high score of the week every game that year. And in my other 10-team league this year, my #1 seed loses to the #4 in the semis when he put up his highest point total of the year.

So yeah, skill helps but luck trumps all. The only good thing is that the luck can fall both ways.

That's a decent idea. Might be hard to setup on the standard websites though. I think I might lean towards something like a 4 team playoff with each round being 2 weeks each. You still have the head to head factor, but takes out some of the luck involved with 1 week matchups.

That's a decent idea. Might be hard to setup on the standard websites though. I think I might lean towards something like a 4 team playoff with each round being 2 weeks each. You still have the head to head factor, but takes out some of the luck involved with 1 week matchups.

I know you can do it in ESPN. There is a losers bracket for all non playoff teams in one of my leagues. The winner is based on total points weeks 14-16 while the real playoffs are head to head.