Sign in to follow this  
fandandy

Any of you ever change a fan in a laptop?

I have a HP Envy which has been a piece of crap since I got it. The motherboard had to be replaced under warranty after an automatic BIOS update a few months ago but that was under warranty so no big deal. I think they focked something up when they were in there because the back left kinda snaps when I open and close it. That's where the fan sits and it's been rattling for a bit now, sounds like there are little marbles in it at times. Well now the fan won't even spin and every time I turn it on it's warning me that the fan is not working and it is not recommended to proceed etc. I came across a couple do it yourself videos on Youtube, one for the same exact model. My question, how hard is this? If I am careful is it a do it yourself project or can I really jack something up by digging around in there? I can afford to take it somewhere but it will prolly be a couple hundred bucks and that seems like a waste for a fan that I can buy for like 15 bucks. Thoughts?

Yep, its easy

It's really easy, honestly anyone could do it follow the step-by-step video you found on YouTube. Hardware is always pretty easy, its software when things start to get a little difficult.

I have an HP Pavilion and the fan went out a year or two ago, and I decided to replace the fan. Apparently the design engineers were on crack the day they decided where to put a replaceable part like the fan, because I had to disassemble the entire focking laptop. I had my entire dining room table covered with steps 1 through 7409327 of the disassembly. Remarkably I was successful.

Some time later I replaced the fan on my daughter's laptop, a Dell if I recall. Took 5 minutes.

So... it depends and I would google it to see where on the spectrum your laptop lies. :)

Should not be hard. I have done tons to laptops to fix them, well, I should say my son done most of it.

In fact, we fixed one laptop by sticking it in the focking oven for a few minutes. I am not kidding. It still focking works too.

Here is the thread if you want to see how we did it. It really was amazing. :cheers:

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=441254&hl=oven

Thanks guys. I think mine is like your daughters, Jerry. The video seemed like :shocking: . I got to take all that off???

It's doable. But be careful during disassembly. Plastic and sh1t cracks easy. Watch the Video FIRST.

<---20 years IT