Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2018 US Open Thread**

Impressive...slow and steady...

Jesus...someone just yelled to Tony Finau....hows your ankle!!

That hot mic just made me realize how much is too much total coverage

Definitely plenty off beer-fueled dumb@sses. I heard one guy yell "water the greens!"

Two best things about Fox coverage.

1. All damn day golf. Between FS1 and Fox its was a ton of coverage.

2. The shot tracer. Nothing cooler than seeing a big draw into a green on the shot tracer.

About the only positives

Disclaimer - I don't like Joe buck In any format.... but he is horribly painful for golf.

About the only positives

Disclaimer - I don't like Joe buck In any format.... but he is horribly painful for golf.

Agreed. Joe Buck is great with baseball. Ok with football. But surly they could find better for golf.

In the end, my predictions were about the same. Full of hits and misses. I thought Koepka, Johnson, Stenson, and Rose would all be in the mix and they were. Disappointed in McIlroy and Molinari. All in all, a fun exercise as always. Will post an Open Championship thread in about three weeks.

As Dickens said, it was the best of times - it was the worst of times....

Brooks Keopka is a stud, no bones about it. Yea he has freakish power - but he went out and won that Open y-day with his wedges and his putter. The up-and-downs and the putts he was draining were out of this world....The bogey save he had on 11 was not only ridiculous, but it landed an overhand blow right to DJ's chin. His knees buckled, he saw stars - and he 3putted for bogey too............ That was the tournament - that was the death nail.

You know what they say, nobody can fock up and destroy a legendry golf course like the USGA. Once again they got in their own way, once again they made the story about them instead of the play between the ropes. I will never understand how it is they view a true test of golf is having greens that look like the court on the final day of Wimbledon... I also hear there was a parking fiasco during the week - how in the hell did they not plan right for that?

Brooks Keopka is a stud, no bones about it. Yea he has freakish power - but he went out and won that Open y-day with his wedges and his putter. The up-and-downs and the putts he was draining were out of this world....The bogey save he had on 11 was not only ridiculous, but it landed an overhand blow right to DJ's chin. His knees buckled, he saw stars - and he 3putted for bogey too............ That was the tournament - that was the death nail.

You know what they say, nobody can fock up and destroy a legendry gold course like the USGA. Once again they got in their own way, once again they made the story about them instead of the play between the ropes. I will never understand how it is they view a true test of golf is having greens that look like the court on the final day of Wimbledon... I also hear there was a parking fiasco during the week - how in the hell did they not plan right for that?

Was sad, cause Shinecock Hills is pretty tough to start, and I get make it US Open tough, but that was a joke. For fock sake when beautiful approaches are just flying off the green, you done screwed up. When the best of the best are averaging 76+ per round because..."we didn't anticipate the weather"..you done screwed up.

You know what they say, nobody can fock up and destroy a legendry gold course like the USGA. Once again they got in their own way, once again they made the story about them instead of the play between the ropes. I will never understand how it is they view a true test of golf is having greens that look like the court on the final day of Wimbledon... I also hear there was a parking fiasco during the week - how in the hell did they not plan right for that?

:lol:

Was sad, cause Shinecock Hills is pretty tough to start, and I get make it US Open tough, but that was a joke. For fock sake when beautiful approaches are just flying off the green, you done screwed up. When the best of the best are averaging 76+ per round because..."we didn't anticipate the weather"..you done screwed up.

They honestly screwed up for 1/2 day over 4 and people act like the whole tourney was a fraud. Winner was a repeat, top 10 were all favorites. So they didn't shoot -10. What a bunch of babies.

I was happy to see that they got it right on Sunday. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

When one guy's ball lands on the green, rolls off and ends up in the same spot (way down, far away from the green) as the other guys ball who completely came up short AND to the left of the green, there is a problem. That's like miniature golf. I think it was Rory's that landed on the green and ended up next to the other 2 guys who missed the green short left. All 3 ended up front right.

You know what they say, nobody can fock up and destroy a legendry golf course like the USGA. Once again they got in their own way, once again they made the story about them instead of the play between the ropes. I will never understand how it is they view a true test of golf is having greens that look like the court on the final day of Wimbledon... I also hear there was a parking fiasco during the week - how in the hell did they not plan right for that?

I attended on Thursday. At that point, it just looked like the pros were having difficulty reading speed of the greens and accounting for the wind in their approaches (wind was blowing counter to the "norm" there), but it is pretty clear that as the weekend progressed (particularly Saturday), the USGA was playing games with pin placements, and did not fully account for how the wind would dry out some greens on the course, making the speed of the greens largely inconsistent.

In terms of the parking, we had the benefit of having a state cop with us, so we got good parking at the local DPW with a cop van taking us to the gates on about a 5 minute drive. The parking itself was not the problem for the masses. It was the small roads around the course that created gridlock, and the transportation into the course from the parking lots was not sufficient. You have to understand that on that part of Long Island, there are not a lot of large parking lots that were available. Most had to park at a local airport, about 20 minutes, without traffic, from the course and be bussed over. The tournament did not provide enough busses early in the week, and the busses they did use got stuck in traffic, so folks at the lots had to wait forever and a day for the next bus, and once they got on the bus, it was about 40-60 minutes to get to the course.

Also, the marshalls were total a-holes about letting people use the crosswalks on day 1. We waited 3 groups to cut across in front of the 16th tee after Mickelson's group went through on Thursday morning because the marshall was holding everyone up for play on an adjacent green (I think it was 5). It was ridiculous as the players on the green were literally a few hundred feet away. Finally, people in the group yelled at him enough that he finally let us through. By that time, the Mickelson group was already on 18.

Shinnecock is a beautiful golf course.

Also, we sat at the par-3 7th green for 8 groups on Thursday. 24 golfers. Nobody even sniffed a birdie.

• Like 2

some of you guys should consider being contributors to some cheesy real estate mag.

some of you guys should consider being contributors to some cheesy real estate mag.

what is the purpose of bunkers? to get your sneakers sandy :doh:

I saw this yesterday. Not surprising her and her 2 wh0re friends

His putt on 18 was likely the first shot she'd seen of the entire day.

what is the purpose of bunkers? to get your sneakers sandy :doh:

it affects your footing, kinda like beech volleyball. plus they were on a ball golf course.

both days i went i drove out long island to francis grebseki (spelling) airport, parked there for free and took a free shuttle bus the rest of the way. The shuttle bus took longer than I would have liked but it was no hassle.