Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

I'm basically too lazy to start a new thread everytime something is worth mentioning - so I just made one to cover it all.

Anyways, anyone catch the Nelson this weekend? Since Byron's passing the field here has really gone to pot. Partly bcoz where it falls in the schedule, partly bcoz of the heat, and in large part bcoz of the golf course. The Four Seaasons may be the worst course these guys see all year long - I wouldn't even put it in the top 15 of courses here in the area. But my boy Dufner came thru - is on some roll this year. He's pretty much a lock to make the Ryder Cup team on points alone - hope he keeps it going. :thumbsup:

And for the true golf nerd - the women's match play event this weekend was pretty good too. Azahara Munoz is pretty focking hot, glad to see her get her first win. But the big news was Morgan Pressel getting popped for slow play. In match play the penalty is loss of hole - which is huge. So after winning the 12th hole she was informed of the infraction and penalty - instead of being up 3 she was now only up 1. Totally turned the match around and of course she went on to lose it. Hopefully the PGA tour was paying attention and steps up with their own rule inforcements. Slow play is out of control and they need to grow a sack and start handing out stroke penalties.

I watched the final round of the Byron Nelson. Phil puked on his shoes late, he needed to end birdie birdie to post a score and went bogey bogey. Although that still wouldn't have been close enough.

pretty crappy tournament overall. Not much star power.

Colonial week here - we have a tent out on the 16th green, will be there this weekend. But my favorite day of the week is 2morow. If you want to watch golf w/out all of the crowds and hoopla, Tuesdays are the best time to go. I'll spend a few hours on the range watching them hit balls and then I'll head out and follow a few groups on the course. It's free, hardly anyone is there, the players are loose and chatty, and they still sell beer. :thumbsup:

I'm itching to get out and play just havnt had time for anything but range sessions. Was really striping my irons Friday. Short game is shaky at best but that's to be expected with the time I have to put in.

Didn't watch much of the byron but dufner is playing really well. I don't like him all that much because he is boring but gotta respect his game and his success is well deserved. And he is a funny guy when he wants to be.

Colonial week here - we have a tent out on the 16th green, will be there this weekend. But my favorite day of the week is 2morow. If you want to watch golf w/out all of the crowds and hoopla, Tuesdays are the best time to go. I'll spend a few hours on the range watching them hit balls and then I'll head out and follow a few groups on the course. It's free, hardly anyone is there, the players are loose and chatty, and they still sell beer. :thumbsup:

Really? Don't they normally charge for practice rounds on the PGA?

Really? Don't they normally charge for practice rounds on the PGA?

I'm really not sure. I know here on the metroplex swing they never have for the Nelson nor the Colonial - least not on Mondays and Tuesdays. I've been doing Colonial Tuesdays for years, love it - and then we go out and play later that afternoon. I think our tee time is for 3 o'clock tomorrow.

The LPGA event last week was about 5 minutes from my house and I wasn't able to make it. I kinda like Dufner and I am happy to see him do well. I went out this weekend and played as if it was my first time playing. So frustrating. Shanking the ball directly left, just awful. The guys that I play with always play the blue tees, which I love but it makes it so much longer. Shot 96 on Sunday. Ugh. Just terrible. It's time for me to purchase some new clubs as well.

Stinging 3 irons 230 dead straight off the tee, Makes me wonder why i bother to take driver so often. Should be trying to play to the 150... Instead i increase variance, and if things go great, I'm taking 1/2 wedges and super feel shots into the green. Much easier to take a full short iron swing. At lease on some of the shorter courses I play.

Stinging 3 irons 230 dead straight off the tee, Makes me wonder why i bother to take driver so often. Should be trying to play to the 150... Instead i increase variance, and if things go great, I'm taking 1/2 wedges and super feel shots into the green. Much easier to take a full short iron swing. At lease on some of the shorter courses I play.

way to go tiger.

I wish I could hit my 3 iron like that. Although I have been using my hybrids and rarely reach for long irons anymore.

Yea I've no love, or use, for long irons anymore. I've never been able to hit them with much consistency - and hybrids allow you to hit so many different types of shots...... Still loving the new Srixon Z-Star XV ball - it's their answer to the Pro V1x. I played 36 holes with the same ball this weekend, still looks great - no reason I can't go out with it again.

Yea I've no love, or use, for long irons anymore. I've never been able to hit them with much consistency - and hybrids allow you to hit so many different types of shots...... Still loving the new Srixon Z-Star XV ball - it's their answer to the Pro V1x. I played 36 holes with the same ball this weekend, still looks great - no reason I can't go out with it again.

Same ball for 36 holes? That's impressive. What is your handicap again? Single digits?

Same ball for 36 holes? That's impressive. What is your handicap again? Single digits?

Yea kind of crazy for a ball to hold up that long and well, least for a premium ball. Normally I'd get a round out of a Pro V1 if I was lucky.... Been hitting pretty well this year - have a 4.8 index right now.

I still like to hit a 4 iron but my 3 hybrid (Taylor rescue dual tp) is a magic wand.

High fade around trees from the rough 225 away? No worries!

I still like to hit a 4 iron but my 3 hybrid (Taylor rescue dual tp) is a magic wand.

High fade around trees from the rough 225 away? No worries!

Fancy pants.... :lol:

Fancy pants.... :lol:

It's an awesome club. I have to resist the temptation to buy a new hybrid because I like new toys even though this one is sexy

It's an awesome club. I have to resist the temptation to buy a new hybrid because I like new toys even though this one is sexy

I'm the same way with my fairway woods. My 3wood is a Titleist 904F that I keep going back to - and my other fairway woods are Callaway Steelhead III's that I'm too afraid to change.

Been to both the Colonial and the byron nelson. There is no questions which is a better tourney to view in person. The Byron Nelson is a blast. The Colonial is probably liked better by golf purists, but the Byron is just plain fun!

Been to both the Colonial and the byron nelson. There is no questions which is a better tourney to view in person. The Byron Nelson is a blast. The Colonial is probably liked better by golf purists, but the Byron is just plain fun!

Talk about day and night - these two events could not be any more different. With all due respects to the late great Byron Nelson, I've never enjoyed going to it. In addition to being a rather blah golf course, the layout is not fan friendly at all - just a terrible place to walk and watch a tournament. And then there are all the yahoos who come out just to be seen and get loaded. Most of the hot ladies there never even make it to the golf course - they're held up in the Pavillion decked out in 5" heels...... The Colonial really is a golfers wet dream. An old style golf course with tree lined fairways and shade protection for all following along. Greens and tee boxes are close together for easy access and then there is the history of the place. I also like how you are right on top of the range, bleachers and seats right up next to it.

I'm the same way with my fairway woods. My 3wood is a Titleist 904F that I keep going back to - and my other fairway woods are Callaway Steelhead III's that I'm too afraid to change.

Same here. Funny how we can go througfh drivers but stick with the old faiway clubs. I still play my Titleist 905 Strong 13 degree 3 Wood and a Taylor Made V-Steel 16 degree 4 Wood. I recently got rid of my 3-Iron and bought a Taylor Made Raylor 20 degree hybrid. Graet club that will prolly be in my bag for the next decade.

With your low handicap, do you play blades? I still hit blades and was recently told I need to switch. Apparently turning forty is the cutt off date for mid handicap once a week players.

Same here. Funny how we can go througfh drivers but stick with the old faiway clubs. I still play my Titleist 905 Strong 13 degree 3 Wood and a Taylor Made V-Steel 16 degree 4 Wood. I recently got rid of my 3-Iron and bought a Taylor Made Raylor 20 degree hybrid. Graet club that will prolly be in my bag for the next decade.

With your low handicap, do you play blades? I still hit blades and was recently told I need to switch. Apparently turning forty is the cutt off date for mid handicap once a week players.

a lot of tour pros don't even play full blades they play small muscleback or mixed sets. Same feel and playability but more forgiving

I have the Callaway Diablo rescue 3. It is perfect for me from 225 in as well. I can also choke down on the shaft and a perfect 200 yard shot as well. Very versitle club to have in the bag.

There isn't a much better feeling in golf than a perfectly struck 7-iron blade, ha - but there also isn't a much worse feeling than skull focking one either. I appreciate the advances in modern technology and use them whenever possible. I play Taylor Made Burner 1.0 irons. They are not blades but they do have a few similar qualities: smaller heads, thinner top lines, thinner bottom sole, minimal offset. I have Cleveland wedges though - bout the only blades I have in the bag.

There isn't a much better feeling in golf than a perfectly struck 7-iron blade, ha - but there also isn't a much worse feeling than skull focking one either. I appreciate the advances in modern technology and use them whenever possible. I play Taylor Made Burner 1.0 irons. They are not blades but they do have a few similar qualities: smaller heads, thinner top lines, thinner bottom sole, minimal offset. I have Cleveland wedges though - bout the only blades I have in the bag.

I've been playing Precept Tour Premiun Forged irons for the past eight years . I hit a 9-Iron last week that felt like butter (2 inches from an ace) . I hit the same club yesterday on the same hole and pushed it right. :mad:

I'm looking into Taylor Made irons. The 1.0 came out two years ago?

I've been playing Precept Tour Premiun Forged irons for the past eight years . I hit a 9-Iron last week that felt like butter (2 inches from an ace) . I hit the same club yesterday on the same hole and pushed it right. :mad:

I'm looking into Taylor Made irons. The 1.0 came out two years ago?

Yea TM actually had a re-release of the '09 Burner 1.0 last year. This new version conforms to the USGA's new groove policy, also comes with a mirror polish finish.

My dad is playing the 1.0's. He seems to like them so far. He's not a long hitter but I noticed at the range his pw was right behind mine. He gets to play a lot more than I do and he's doing well with them in his golf league.

He also recently bought an r9 and couldn't hit it worth a Damn. Tried the superfast 1.0 instead and he loves it.

Yea TM actually had a re-release of the '09 Burner 1.0 last year. This new version conforms to the USGA's new groove policy, also comes with a mirror polish finish.

I guess it's time to put the blades away. When I hit a shot close to the toe, they don't get up and they don't go. I heard somebody on the course saying Academy had 1.0's on sale for $399.00. Might have check it out.

I guess it's time to put the blades away. When I hit a shot close to the toe, they don't get up and they don't go. I heard somebody on the course saying Academy had 1.0's on sale for $399.00. Might have check it out.

I've hit just about everything there is out there - couldn't be happier with the new 1.0's. I looked at the 2.0's but I prefer the classic look of the mirrow finish with mine. You will def hit these further bcoz the lofts are stronger than what you have on your blades. Even still I hit these high with no problem at all.

I've hit just about everything there is out there - couldn't be happier with the new 1.0's. I looked at the 2.0's but I prefer the classic look of the mirrow finish with mine. You will def hit these further bcoz the lofts are stronger than what you have on your blades. Even still I hit these high with no problem at all.

What kind of shafts do you have on them? I can still hit a stiff shaft. I like the Dynamic Gold S-300. I was told to stop using those also.

My dad is playing the 1.0's. He seems to like them so far. He's not a long hitter but I noticed at the range his pw was right behind mine. He gets to play a lot more than I do and he's doing well with them in his golf league.

He also recently bought an r9 and couldn't hit it worth a Damn. Tried the superfast 1.0 instead and he loves it.

I noticed with my distances that I have a much bigger need for a gap wedge than I do an extra fairway wood. A stock wedge for me now is 125 and my stock sw is 100 - I need a club I can drop out of the sky from 112. Either be the 7 or 5 wood - one of them has to go.

What kind of shafts do you have on them? I can still hit a stiff shaft. I like the Dynamic Gold S-300. I was told to stop using those also.

There are stiff shafts, and then there are Dynamic Gold stiff shafts - these bad boys are not for all. Unlike your regular run-of-the mill stiff shaft, these have really low torque ratings and high kick points. What does that mean? It means they play more like an extra stiff with very little responsive whip to them. Those who play these really have to generate lag in the swing or you'll never get them off of the ground.......... In my previous set I was playing Dynalite Gold stiff shafts - which is a lighter, more flexible version of the Dynamic Gold. They came with mid kick points and were much more playable. But with my new set I purchased them with the TM Superfast 85 Uniflex shafts. My original thought was I would change them out with my old shafts - but after a few weeks on the range I noticed I was hitting these so much more pure, and further. I ended up leaving them in there and I have no plans to change them. They allow me to swing naturally and deliver engery to the ball without trying to help it - it's like free power.

GOLF

Dangerous contact sport that's more frustrating than Fantasy Football :wall:

Though one of the best backgrounds for a summertime nap. :thumbsup:

they actually have 2.0's in both finishes. well maybe its not mirror might be satin along with the black look

I noticed with my distances that I have a much bigger need for a gap wedge than I do an extra fairway wood. A stock wedge for me now is 125 and my stock sw is 100 - I need a club I can drop out of the sky from 112. Either be the 7 or 5 wood - one of them has to go.

you didn't get a gap wedge with your set of 1.0's? that set is 4-AW no? AW being a gap wedge

i've been in the market for new irons a year or so now. The two front runners are the mizuno JPX 800 pro, and the Mizuno MP59... Tried out some AP2's, but i was catching some fliers that day... also tried out some cleveland cg16 tour blacks... figuring they would play like the ta3 gunmetals i have right now... meh... nothing special.

Anyone here tried out either of those mizuno sets? Luke donald plays the mp59s... be he's an asshat

I shot a 41 with 3 greenies and only 1 double bogey (drive OB) last night. lipped out 2 birdie putts. I've been playing a lot, that helps.