Photo

Yanny or Laurel: do you hear what I hear?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 The PosterFormerlyKnownAs

The PosterFormerlyKnownAs

FF Geek

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:45 AM

Much like the blue/gold dress of the past ... what do you hear in this sound clip? I hear Yanny, my child Laurel.

https://www.google.c..._you_guys_hear/

#2 Mookz

Mookz

FF Geek

• Members
  • 8,227 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:26 PM

Pretty wild.   :banana:

The first time I distinctly heard "Yanny".

Second time, and every time after that, I hear "Laurel".  

I can kind of hear the Yanny overtones now when I listen for them, but it's still 95% Laurel to me.  

#3 naomi

naomi

FF Geek

• Members
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:39 PM

Pretty wild.   :banana:

The first time I distinctly heard "Yanny".

Second time, and every time after that, I hear "Laurel".  

I can kind of hear the Yanny overtones now when I listen for them, but it's still 95% Laurel to me.  

Were you listening from a different device the first time?

"Part of it involves the recording," said Brad Story, professor of speech, language and hearing at The University of Arizona. "It's not a very high quality. And that in itself allows there to be some ambiguity already."

Then, he said, you have to take into account the different ways people are listening to this -- through mobile phones, headphones, tablets, etc.

That aside, Story ran an acoustic analysis on the viral recording of the computerized voice. He also recorded himself saying "Yanny" and "Laurel," for comparison.

"When I analyzed the recording of Laurel, that third resonance is very high for the L. It drops for the R and then it rises again for the L," he said. "The interesting thing about the word Yanny is that the second frequency that our vocal track produces follows almost the same path, in terms of what it looks like spectrographically, as Laurel."

OK, so what does that all mean?

"If you have a low quality of recording, it's not surprising some people would confuse the second and third resonances flipped around, and hear Yanny instead of Laurel."

Story also said that, if you change the pitch of the original recording, you can hear both words.

"Most likely the original recording was 'Laurel,'" he said.

If you heard "Laurel," you are the winner and have earned bragging rights for this round of internet debate.

I solidly heard Laurel. If I turn my laptop speakers down pretty low where no enunciation can be deciphered I can sliiiiiightly hear where the "yanny" comes in. Interesting how our brains present stuff to us. Those yannys...resonance flippers

#4 SenatorRock

SenatorRock

FF Geek

• Members
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:48 AM

Laurel

I'd have to be REALLY drunk to mistake that for Yanny

And the dress was blue. Until it was gold. 

#5 Thornton Melon

Thornton Melon

FF Geek

• Members
  • 5,640 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:25 AM

Laurel, no question.

My wife hears Yanny
Take it easy, take it easy...and don't get any on the walls!

#6 shotsup

shotsup

FF Geek

• Members
  • 30,300 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:27 AM

WTF yous talking aboot?
“It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth.”
~George Burns

#7 Frozenbeernuts

Frozenbeernuts

FF Geek

• Members
  • 19,860 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:11 AM

Neither? In no way do I hear Laurel. Yanny if anything

#8 kilroy69

kilroy69

FF Geek

• Members
  • 26,301 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:28 AM

I heard yanny. 3 times. I went back to the same recording on the same device and I can only hear laurel. Also. I never saw the blue dress. It was always gold for me
Its still not a hummingbird.

#9 avoiding injuries

avoiding injuries

FF Geek

• Members
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:37 AM

Yanny

#10 Frozenbeernuts

Frozenbeernuts

FF Geek

• Members
  • 19,860 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:49 AM

Neither? In no way do I hear Laurel. Yanny if anything

I just went back again and heard only Laurel.... we are sure it plays the same both ways? It's not a trick that plays one of two sounds randomly?

#11 kilroy69

kilroy69

FF Geek

• Members
  • 26,301 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:50 AM

I just went back again and heard only Laurel.... we are sure it plays the same both ways? It's not a trick that plays one of two sounds randomly?

I feel the same way.

#12 patweisers44

patweisers44

FF Geek

• Members
  • 18,697 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:53 AM

I have heard both clearly and distinctly at different times.  I think its some sort of hoax.  :dunno:

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

#13 kilroy69

kilroy69

FF Geek

• Members
  • 26,301 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:58 AM

I just tried again and I can't hear Laurel at all. Only yanny.

#14 Frozenbeernuts

Frozenbeernuts

FF Geek

• Members
  • 19,860 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:59 AM

I refreshed it a bunch of times. I dont hear Yanni any more

#15 Gladiators

Gladiators

FF Geek

• Members
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:03 AM

Morning show I listened to on the way into work this morning played it.  I only heard Laurel when played "normal."  When they turned the pitch down, I heard Yanny.

#16 Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff

FF Geek

• Members
  • 59,004 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:10 AM

Laurel...both kids heard Yanny
Have watched videos showing how changing the pitch effects it and lowering it is the only way I heard Yanny

#17 Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho

FF Geek

• Members
  • 12,787 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:38 AM

Mulva?   :unsure:

#18 Vikings4ever

Vikings4ever

FF Geek

• Members
  • 38,491 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:35 AM

Yarry.  :dunno:

People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling

#19 Cloaca du jour

Cloaca du jour

FF Geek

• Members
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:45 AM

1985 .... just think in 30 years we will have flying cars!

2017 kids dont eat tide pods... do you hear yanny or laurel?

Civilization is going backward

#20 Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho

FF Geek

• Members
  • 12,787 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:59 AM

least you don't have to wash out their mouths anymore.   :thumbsup:

#21 KSB2424

KSB2424

FF Geek

• Members
  • 34,102 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:00 AM

Laurel
Disclaimer: I have no focking idea what I'm talking about.

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile." – Albert Einstein

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

#22 KSB2424

KSB2424

FF Geek

• Members
  • 34,102 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:01 AM

:lol:
Disclaimer: I have no focking idea what I'm talking about.

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile." – Albert Einstein

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

#23 TimmySmith

TimmySmith

FF Geek

• Members
  • 15,075 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:09 AM

Yarry.  :dunno:

Yeah, wtf is wrong with everyone's ears.   :dunno:

“We’ve fulfilled far more promises than we’ve promised,” the president said. “I call it promises plus.”

#24 Mookz

Mookz

FF Geek

• Members
  • 8,227 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:11 AM

While we're at it, we should probably rank them.   :banana:

Yanny - some chick in something called "Super Girls".  Pic 2

Laurel - "Jan" from Toyota commercials.  Pic 2

#25 Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff

FF Geek

• Members
  • 59,004 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:19 AM

While we're at it, we should probably rank them.   :banana:

Yanny - some chick in something called "Super Girls".  Pic 2

Laurel - "Jan" from Toyota commercials.  Pic 2

Have a nice season guy.  

-Joe Bryant

#26 tanatastic

tanatastic

FF Geek

• Members
  • 20,139 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:05 AM

Its very clearly Laurel. I even tried to make myself hear Yanny but its clearly Laurel, every time. If you hear Yanny...you are a retard.

#27 Voltaire

Voltaire

FF Geek

• Members
  • 35,294 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:07 AM

laurel.

why is there no poll

Using that "who's been irritating me less" criteria seven months in.... still not Trump and his fans. I grew up with these people. I understand them. They actually seem normal, surprising as it may seem to you. These liberals on the other hand: cop bashing, white shaming, trannie loving, kneeling during the national anthem. Fock them. They're the ones that really freak me out and it's not even close to being close.

---
Posting in this place year after year devolves us all into something similar to Lord of the Flies. 

#28 Voltaire

Voltaire

FF Geek

• Members
  • 35,294 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:07 AM

It’s very clearly Laurel. I even tried to make myself hear Yanny but it’s clearly Laurel, every time.

me too. can't

Using that "who's been irritating me less" criteria seven months in.... still not Trump and his fans. I grew up with these people. I understand them. They actually seem normal, surprising as it may seem to you. These liberals on the other hand: cop bashing, white shaming, trannie loving, kneeling during the national anthem. Fock them. They're the ones that really freak me out and it's not even close to being close.

---
Posting in this place year after year devolves us all into something similar to Lord of the Flies. 

#29 Voltaire

Voltaire

FF Geek

• Members
  • 35,294 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:11 AM

laurel.

why is there no poll

wife also laurel

---

#30 Mookz

Mookz

FF Geek

• Members
  • 8,227 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

Were you listening from a different device the first time?

"Part of it involves the recording," said Brad Story, professor of speech, language and hearing at The University of Arizona. "It's not a very high quality. And that in itself allows there to be some ambiguity already."

Then, he said, you have to take into account the different ways people are listening to this -- through mobile phones, headphones, tablets, etc.

That aside, Story ran an acoustic analysis on the viral recording of the computerized voice. He also recorded himself saying "Yanny" and "Laurel," for comparison.

"When I analyzed the recording of Laurel, that third resonance is very high for the L. It drops for the R and then it rises again for the L," he said. "The interesting thing about the word Yanny is that the second frequency that our vocal track produces follows almost the same path, in terms of what it looks like spectrographically, as Laurel."

OK, so what does that all mean?

"If you have a low quality of recording, it's not surprising some people would confuse the second and third resonances flipped around, and hear Yanny instead of Laurel."

Story also said that, if you change the pitch of the original recording, you can hear both words.

"Most likely the original recording was 'Laurel,'" he said.

If you heard "Laurel," you are the winner and have earned bragging rights for this round of internet debate.

I solidly heard Laurel. If I turn my laptop speakers down pretty low where no enunciation can be deciphered I can sliiiiiightly hear where the "yanny" comes in. Interesting how our brains present stuff to us. Those yannys...resonance flippers

I definitely did not listen very scientifically.  For some reason the clip on Reddit was muted for me, so I went to youtube to find it, and the first one I clicked was this.

I think it's the modulation after the first few seconds that probably "flipped" it for me.  I remember being shocked the second time I played it and wondering if it was the same clip.   :shocking:

#31 tanatastic

tanatastic

FF Geek

• Members
  • 20,139 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:21 AM

I watched the video where they change the pitch or whatever and it does change it to Yarry. But the clip where it plays the sound normally doesnt change so why would that be relevant? Thats like saying if you flip the song from Barry Manilow to guns and roses you hear guns and roses. Ok cool but if the song doesnt flip, who cares?

#32 Voltaire

Voltaire

FF Geek

• Members
  • 35,294 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:26 AM

wife also laurel

update, across the room my wife hears yanny, nearby she hears laurel. then back across the room, back to laurel.

I've never heard anything by laurel except in mookz's link

---

#33 edjr

edjr

FF Geek

• Members
  • 118,605 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:36 AM

all i hear is yanny.

I listened several times, wanting to hear laurel and it's just not there

#34 tanatastic

tanatastic

FF Geek

• Members
  • 20,139 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:42 AM

Very clearly, low voice, Laurel. Not even Yanny if I try my hardest to placebo myself into thinking it’s anything remotely Yanny. The L sounds are very pronounced and clear. I think people are just messing around. Next someone will say they hear gumdrops.

#35 edjr

edjr

FF Geek

• Members
  • 118,605 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:45 AM

Very clearly, low voice, Laurel. Not even Yanny if I try my hardest to placebo myself into thinking it’s anything remotely Yanny. The L sounds are very pronounced and clear. I think people are just messing around. Next someone will say they hear gumdrops.

:rolleyes:

#36 Saturday Night Beaver

Saturday Night Beaver

FF Geek

• Members
  • 6,257 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:00 PM

Laurel

#37 Mookz

Mookz

FF Geek

• Members
  • 8,227 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:11 PM

Listen for sort of a higher-pitched, grating, robotic voice.  It will manifest itself in the negative space of Laurel.   :thumbsup:

It's sort of the ear version of one of those Magic Eye posters.  

You just have to, like, free your mind, or something.   :dunno:

#38 tanatastic

tanatastic

FF Geek

• Members
  • 20,139 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:22 PM

Listen for sort of a higher-pitched, grating, robotic voice.  It will manifest itself in the negative space of Laurel.   :thumbsup:

It's sort of the ear version of one of those Magic Eye posters.  

You just have to, like, free your mind, or something.   :dunno:

I tried that already. Even saying Yanny to myself over and over before and while listening. It’s as clear as a bell Laurel with no ambiguity or subtle differences at all to me.

#39 Frozenbeernuts

Frozenbeernuts

FF Geek

• Members
  • 19,860 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:22 PM

Very clearly, low voice, Laurel. Not even Yanny if I try my hardest to placebo myself into thinking its anything remotely Yanny. The L sounds are very pronounced and clear. I think people are just messing around. Next someone will say they hear gumdrops.

I heard Yanny to start. Now I cant hear it any more

#40 Frozenbeernuts

Frozenbeernuts

FF Geek

• Members
  • 19,860 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:24 PM

I am genuinely annoyed I cant hear Yanny at all