Sign in to follow this  
The PosterFormerlyKnownAs

Yanny or Laurel: do you hear what I hear?

Pretty wild. :banana:

The first time I distinctly heard "Yanny".

Second time, and every time after that, I hear "Laurel".

I can kind of hear the Yanny overtones now when I listen for them, but it's still 95% Laurel to me.

Pretty wild. :banana:

The first time I distinctly heard "Yanny".

Second time, and every time after that, I hear "Laurel".

I can kind of hear the Yanny overtones now when I listen for them, but it's still 95% Laurel to me.

Were you listening from a different device the first time?

"Part of it involves the recording," said Brad Story, professor of speech, language and hearing at The University of Arizona. "It's not a very high quality. And that in itself allows there to be some ambiguity already."

Then, he said, you have to take into account the different ways people are listening to this -- through mobile phones, headphones, tablets, etc.

That aside, Story ran an acoustic analysis on the viral recording of the computerized voice. He also recorded himself saying "Yanny" and "Laurel," for comparison.

"When I analyzed the recording of Laurel, that third resonance is very high for the L. It drops for the R and then it rises again for the L," he said. "The interesting thing about the word Yanny is that the second frequency that our vocal track produces follows almost the same path, in terms of what it looks like spectrographically, as Laurel."

OK, so what does that all mean?

"If you have a low quality of recording, it's not surprising some people would confuse the second and third resonances flipped around, and hear Yanny instead of Laurel."

Story also said that, if you change the pitch of the original recording, you can hear both words.

"Most likely the original recording was 'Laurel,'" he said.

If you heard "Laurel," you are the winner and have earned bragging rights for this round of internet debate.

I solidly heard Laurel. If I turn my laptop speakers down pretty low where no enunciation can be deciphered I can sliiiiiightly hear where the "yanny" comes in. Interesting how our brains present stuff to us. Those yannys...resonance flippers

Laurel

I'd have to be REALLY drunk to mistake that for Yanny

And the dress was blue. Until it was gold.

I heard yanny. 3 times. I went back to the same recording on the same device and I can only hear laurel. Also. I never saw the blue dress. It was always gold for me

Neither? In no way do I hear Laurel. Yanny if anything

I just went back again and heard only Laurel.... we are sure it plays the same both ways? It's not a trick that plays one of two sounds randomly?

I just went back again and heard only Laurel.... we are sure it plays the same both ways? It's not a trick that plays one of two sounds randomly?

I feel the same way.

I have heard both clearly and distinctly at different times. I think its some sort of hoax. :dunno:

I just tried again and I can't hear Laurel at all. Only yanny.

Morning show I listened to on the way into work this morning played it. I only heard Laurel when played "normal." When they turned the pitch down, I heard Yanny.

Laurel...both kids heard Yanny

Have watched videos showing how changing the pitch effects it and lowering it is the only way I heard Yanny

1985 .... just think in 30 years we will have flying cars!

2017 kids dont eat tide pods... do you hear yanny or laurel?

Civilization is going backward

• Like 1

least you don't have to wash out their mouths anymore. :thumbsup:

:lol:

While we're at it, we should probably rank them. :banana:

Yanny - some chick in something called "Super Girls". Pic 2

Laurel - "Jan" from Toyota commercials. Pic 2

While we're at it, we should probably rank them. :banana:

Yanny - some chick in something called "Super Girls". Pic 2

Laurel - "Jan" from Toyota commercials. Pic 2

Have a nice season guy.

-Joe Bryant

Its very clearly Laurel. I even tried to make myself hear Yanny but its clearly Laurel, every time. If you hear Yanny...you are a retard.

• Like 2

laurel.

why is there no poll

It’s very clearly Laurel. I even tried to make myself hear Yanny but it’s clearly Laurel, every time.

me too. can't

laurel.

why is there no poll

wife also laurel

Were you listening from a different device the first time?

"Part of it involves the recording," said Brad Story, professor of speech, language and hearing at The University of Arizona. "It's not a very high quality. And that in itself allows there to be some ambiguity already."

Then, he said, you have to take into account the different ways people are listening to this -- through mobile phones, headphones, tablets, etc.

That aside, Story ran an acoustic analysis on the viral recording of the computerized voice. He also recorded himself saying "Yanny" and "Laurel," for comparison.

"When I analyzed the recording of Laurel, that third resonance is very high for the L. It drops for the R and then it rises again for the L," he said. "The interesting thing about the word Yanny is that the second frequency that our vocal track produces follows almost the same path, in terms of what it looks like spectrographically, as Laurel."

OK, so what does that all mean?

"If you have a low quality of recording, it's not surprising some people would confuse the second and third resonances flipped around, and hear Yanny instead of Laurel."

Story also said that, if you change the pitch of the original recording, you can hear both words.

"Most likely the original recording was 'Laurel,'" he said.

If you heard "Laurel," you are the winner and have earned bragging rights for this round of internet debate.

I solidly heard Laurel. If I turn my laptop speakers down pretty low where no enunciation can be deciphered I can sliiiiiightly hear where the "yanny" comes in. Interesting how our brains present stuff to us. Those yannys...resonance flippers

I definitely did not listen very scientifically. For some reason the clip on Reddit was muted for me, so I went to youtube to find it, and the first one I clicked was this.

I think it's the modulation after the first few seconds that probably "flipped" it for me. I remember being shocked the second time I played it and wondering if it was the same clip. :shocking:

I watched the video where they change the pitch or whatever and it does change it to Yarry. But the clip where it plays the sound normally doesnt change so why would that be relevant? Thats like saying if you flip the song from Barry Manilow to guns and roses you hear guns and roses. Ok cool but if the song doesnt flip, who cares?

wife also laurel

update, across the room my wife hears yanny, nearby she hears laurel. then back across the room, back to laurel.

I've never heard anything by laurel except in mookz's link

all i hear is yanny.

I listened several times, wanting to hear laurel and it's just not there

Very clearly, low voice, Laurel. Not even Yanny if I try my hardest to placebo myself into thinking it’s anything remotely Yanny. The L sounds are very pronounced and clear. I think people are just messing around. Next someone will say they hear gumdrops.

Very clearly, low voice, Laurel. Not even Yanny if I try my hardest to placebo myself into thinking it’s anything remotely Yanny. The L sounds are very pronounced and clear. I think people are just messing around. Next someone will say they hear gumdrops.

:rolleyes:

Listen for sort of a higher-pitched, grating, robotic voice. It will manifest itself in the negative space of Laurel. :thumbsup:

It's sort of the ear version of one of those Magic Eye posters.

You just have to, like, free your mind, or something. :dunno:

Listen for sort of a higher-pitched, grating, robotic voice. It will manifest itself in the negative space of Laurel. :thumbsup:

It's sort of the ear version of one of those Magic Eye posters.

You just have to, like, free your mind, or something. :dunno:

I tried that already. Even saying Yanny to myself over and over before and while listening. It’s as clear as a bell Laurel with no ambiguity or subtle differences at all to me.

Very clearly, low voice, Laurel. Not even Yanny if I try my hardest to placebo myself into thinking its anything remotely Yanny. The L sounds are very pronounced and clear. I think people are just messing around. Next someone will say they hear gumdrops.

I heard Yanny to start. Now I cant hear it any more