Sign in to follow this  
TwentyFourSeven

TE Tim Wright traded to Patriots

I don't know. I read the same thing you posted with a Google search for his pro day. I agree the guy isn't a freak athlete, but he played well last year and seems to fill a void on a team that works well with his type of resume.

Like before I'll say that in my opinion you could do worse if you have a roster spot available. I keep 1 spot for my flavor of the week guy. I add a guy and ask questions later. If he is buried on the depth chart and is seeing zero snaps then he will be my first cut for the next guy.

I will say that team was not very good last year, but he had a solid stretch of play once he started seeing snaps. If I remember correctly he had some good games against some tough defenses. If he can duplicate that then I see no reason why he couldn't succeed.

Edit: I respect that you have done your research. I will say at this point I'm just going by the eyeball test from the 4-5 games I watched last year as well as the opportunity he now finds himself in.

I mean he is no Jimmy Graham, but as far as solid NFL TEs go, i didnt see anything in that video that made me dislike him on the Patriots roster.He looks to have good hands, and good body control. A clear upgrade over former second stringer in NE Micheal Hoomanuananauianwanna. Also, had he attended the combine as a TE, his 4.65 40 time would have likely garnered him a big signing bonus.

(combine numbers from nfl.com)

Eric Ebron 4.60,

Tyler Eiffert 4.68

Julius Thomas 4.68

Jordan Reed 4.72

Jace Amaro a 4.74.

CJ Fedorowicz a 4.74

Zach Ertz 4.74

• Like 1

Dropping Green for this guy is such a knee jerk reaction. Gates is on the wrong side of his career and can't wait to get a foot injury.

New Patriot guy has to learn a new offense in a week, gain Brady trust, and then not suck and or may catch a few balls every now and then. If Gronk DIES tomorrow he's still not worth making that move.

As a purely upside comparison Green dwarfs him.

Yeah. No way am i dropping Green for him (Dynasty owner voice). Wright is a nice player who might exploit a mismatch. Green is a physical freak who will (eventually) create mismatches. .

In a redraft.....meh i might roll the dice.

Of course, if you have a slot pick him up!

Even though you know my opinion of Wright when I saw the news I checked my dynasty leagues to see if he was available because I figured somebody would get hot for him when they read at some internet FF site how the Pats traded away a Probowl Oline player for a TE who could play the Hernandez roll. Trade value for me!

My point was that I don't think he is as good a bet to have actual productive value this year as a guy like L. Green would be because a few posters had mentioned the drop. I do not come here to bash players or posters, its just that when I first started using the internet to seek out FF information this was one of the 1st sites I came to and it was of great help to me. There were guys who were knowledgeable and were willing to share. I didn't post anything back then because I didn't have anything to share of value as a newb. There are some good posters here still, but it seems there are a great deal of lesser informed people who populate this site now regurgitating a few sentences of something they read and didn't really fully grasp let alone actual knowledge gained through experience or observation, then pass it off as help for others.

That's fine, everybody has the right but the reason I stop in and post occasionally is out of respect to the help I got way back when and to give something back now that I have attained a little bit of knowledge myself. Doesn't mean I'm going to be right but I usually try to give the reasons why and I honestly save my comments for situations where I think i have an edge and can help rather than think of myself as an expert on every team and every player.

By the way I'm NOT SAYING guys who watched Wright and think there is something there are absolutely wrong and I am right. I am sharing my observation and reasoning and there is room for more than one opinion, that's what makes FF fun!

Have you watched how Green is being used. Or should I say....not used. It is going to take a serious injury to gates in order for him to even see the field. Wright on the other hand is going to a team that LOVES to run the twin te set and should be a pretty good bet to eclipse the numbers from his rookie year and possibly approach the numbers Hernandez put up in 2011 when he went for 900/7. Those are numbers Green is just not going to be able to approach.

Even with Green emerging last year as a good player Gates still managed 77 catches for 870 yards and 5 scores.

• Like 1

Have you watched how Green is being used. Or should I say....not used. It is going to take a serious injury to gates in order for him to even see the field. Wright on the other hand is going to a team that LOVES to run the twin te set and should be a pretty good bet to eclipse the numbers from his rookie year and possibly approach the numbers Hernandez put up in 2011 when he went for 900/7. Those are numbers Green is just not going to be able to approach.

Even with Green emerging last year as a good player Gates still managed 77 catches for 870 yards and 5 scores.

It's pre season. They know what they have in Green.

I have. I think an injury to Gates, or Green surpassing him at some point in the season, is more likely than Wright developing a role that provides FF value with the Pats this year.

Somehow the discussion took the slant solely of Wright's athletic prowess which I did speak to but that was a small part of my reasoning. Page back and check it out.

It takes pass catchers a long time in that system, if they are good. It took Gronk 2 off seasons and a year. It took Hernandez 2 off-seasons and a year. We are now 2 WEEKS from Game #1.

There have been numerous veteran WRs who have had success elsewhere but never got it. The temptation is to believe that the Pats made the trade for him, which I believe is false, the secondary conclusion is that if they traded for him they are going to use him this year, therefore he will have value. I have outlined the reasons I think its unlikely and that's all I was trying to do. Up to others to decide, I gave a divergent view from some of the other posts, that's all I wanted to do and its my last word on it.

Edit: Incidentally, neither did I mean to make the post about comparing Wright and L. Green, I was using him because other posters mentioned the drop. I do not own L. Green in any leagues (and that's pretty hard I'm in a lot of leagues) and was not trying to pump him up or reacting to his being dropped emotionally. Wipe L. Green's name and insert any similar talented player who does not have a current role but has a path, I would not drop that high ceiling guy for something I just don't think is going to happen

Green is only 24, and SD isnt going to rush Gates out the door. IMO in Dynasty Green is still the play. I own him in one dynasty league and it would take a hell of a lot more than Tim Wright for me to drop Ladarius Green.For redraft, this year, i dont disagree with you that Wright could put up a very nice season, better than Green, provided he can master the Patriots playbook.

Oh in a die nasty league I would pick green as he has massive long term appeal. However in a redraft for just this year I would take wright.

Oh in a die nasty league I would pick green as he has massive long term appeal. However in a redraft for just this year I would take wright.

I don't see it. Green in any league format is a better pick than a guy just dumped onto a new team, by the Bucs no less. The mere distribution if pass catchers in New England vying for balls makes him unworthy. He's battling Edelmen, Kenbrell, Dobson, Vareen, Amendola, LaFell and Gronk for looks. He is not Hernandez. He also battles Belichek and Brady because who knows what they want to go to each week. Plus, he's the new guy. He runs one wrong route and he goes to Brady's gulag for a month.

Green contends with Keenan, Floyd, Gates and Woodhead. Vincent Brown maybe? I don't think this is even close.

I await Mike Reiss's assessment of this trade. I am inclined to agree w LJR and think Green will need a little time.

Edelmen, Kenbrell, Dobson, Vareen, Amendola, LaFell and Gronk

Edelman has to prove he isnt a one year wonder. Kenbrell hasnt done enough to even be a one year wonder.Dobson still isnt healthy enough to play, and is unproven on top of that. Vareen has missed 50% of the Patriots games since he was drafted. Amendola is now a synonym for injured. LaFell is the very definition of fungible (waits while everyone looks it up). And Gronk is almost as Amendola'ed as often as Amendola himself.

Wright is by no means a sure thing, but i think he fits right in with that group.

don't see him getting much playing time at all to begin the season. Bill B not gonna play someone who doesn't know whats going on.

Edelman has to prove he isnt a one year wonder. Kenbrell hasnt done enough to even be a one year wonder.Dobson still isnt healthy enough to play, and is unproven on top of that. Vareen has missed 50% of the Patriots games since he was drafted. Amendola is now a synonym for injured. LaFell is the very definition of fungible (waits while everyone looks it up). And Gronk is almost as Amendola'ed as often as Amendola himself.

Wright is by no means a sure thing, but i think he fits right in with that group.

Disagree on Edelman but otherwise solid points

So you have to be proven you can play. Edelman, Kenbrell, and Dobson are unproven so that's the knock? As opposed to Tim Wright? Who's proven what exactly?

Madness folks. Fantasy madness has struck. When Green got the time he was very good. Dropping him for Tim Wright is a classic and clinical case of pre season fantasy madness.

What's most puzzling is we've all been witness to the fantasy volatility of the New England offense, and yet Tim Wright is being gobbled up for Green. You never know what they want to do week to week. I'm at a loss.

THIS :pointstosky:

ol' man Gates looked alive and well in the last game vs. the Niners :clap:

I mean he is no Jimmy Graham, but as far as solid NFL TEs go, i didnt see anything in that video that made me dislike him on the Patriots roster.He looks to have good hands, and good body control. A clear upgrade over former second stringer in NE Micheal Hoomanuananauianwanna. Also, had he attended the combine as a TE, his 4.65 40 time would have likely garnered him a big signing bonus.

(combine numbers from nfl.com)

Eric Ebron 4.60,

Tyler Eiffert 4.68

Julius Thomas 4.68

Jordan Reed 4.72

Jace Amaro a 4.74.

CJ Fedorowicz a 4.74

Zach Ertz 4.74

Great info and perspective s.c.

Agreed.

So for those that don't think he'll amount to much in the Patriots offense, riddle me this. Since PFT and Rotoworld acknowledge that Wright is lacking in blocking skills, what reason do the Patriots have for adding him? I'd say it's for one of two reasons.

1. Gronk's rehab or health is a concern for them and they're getting a sure handed capable T.E. for added depth there.

2. Belichick is planning on using him in two T.E. sets to get back to what was working for the Pats when Hernandez was there.

For those of us willing to drop Green for Wright (in redraft leagues) why not roll the dice? We already know what Green is and the philosophy in San Diego is to keep him on the shelf most of the time. Gronk has just as much if not more of an injury history as Gates so there's as good a chance of Wright being gold as there is for Green. I'd much rather role the dice of a secondary T.E. in the Patriots offense than I would in the San Diego offense.

Some more tid bits, from a rookie playing a position for the first time.

• When QB and aDOT are factored in, only Jordan Cameron exceeded Tim Wright's catch rate last year (13% above expected)
  • Jimmy Graham was the only tight end in the NFL that caught more touchdowns than Tim Wright in the final four weeks last season.
  • Only five other rookie tight ends in the history of the NFL catch 50 passes for 500 yards and 5 touchdowns.

•  

And he did this without seeing a single target during Weeks 1 and 2 last year. Wright compiled 76 targets on the season, which ranked 16th in the NFL among tight ends. But as noted, his Reception NEP – a cumulative metric – ranked 11th, showing he was efficient with his looks. This is true, too, as he ranked 5th among the 21 tight ends last year with 40 or more receptions in Reception NEP per target.

My point is that he had an underrated rooike season as a pass catching TE and he can very productive with Brady. TE is already a difficult position to get breakout production so I would stash him away asap.

lesjroza - you've posted up so great info in this thread, nice work.

Here are my thoughts, some of this has been touched on already:

• The Belichick, Schiano, Rutgers connection is well known. I'm sure Belichick has had Wright on his radar.
  • NE would love to have a legit 2 TE set the way they did in their record breaking year(s) with Gronk and Hernandez
  • Wright is not a Gronk replacement, he is a Hernandez replacement - Gronk is a tougher blocker and more punishing TE, Hernandez was a more athletic, faster, pass catcher. Not sure if Wright can fill the role, but he looks the part.
  • Losing Mankins is not good for NE. But moreso bc of his locker room leadership than his play or position. And we've seen NE players cut/moved/traded before at this same time in pre-season (Lawyer Milloy, Richard Seymour. etc)
  • Belichick does not value Guards highly and Mankins (by NE's 'value' chart) was overpaid. The Guards, like Mankins, are road graders used to run the ball - you don't win in today's NFL by running the ball.
  • This move may be as much about salary dumping (Mankins) as it is the 2 TE set. Not sure of all the salary and cap implications but it is possible that NE is lining up to sign someone this year OR setting the table for Revis long term.
  • Fantasy Wise, Wright is a wait and see. If you have lots of space, stash him. But we'll have to see how well he picks up the NE offense. Most new players in NE make statements like, "it's like learning a foreign language" or " it feels like the hurry up constantly".
  • southcarolina - why would you consider Edelman a one-year wonder? He played just as well and looked just as good the year Welker had the ACL - Edelman was "Welker Jr." or "Welker's Clone". The only question to me is if he's durable enough.

Wright is not a backup for Gronk, he's a totally different player. He is basically a Hernandez replacement

Yup they basically play two different positions. If Wright has to play "traditional" TE then Pats and Brady might be in trouble. Wright can't block for sh!t

Yup they basically play two different positions. If Wright has to play "traditional" TE then Pats and Brady might be in trouble. Wright can't block for sh!t

I always get 'em confused but it's the "H" vs "Y" - both TEs, one more "traditional"/physical, one more athletic/fast/quick/hands.

What makes Gronk such a freak is that he has more hands/athleticism that the typical "traditional" TE.

And if you can put both H and Y on the field at the same time and add in a legit outside WR, it's a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses.

I always get 'em confused but it's the "H" vs "Y" - both TEs, one more "traditional"/physical, one more athletic/fast/quick/hands.

What makes Gronk such a freak is that he has more hands/athleticism that the typical "traditional" TE.

And if you can put both H and Y on the field at the same time and add in a legit outside WR, it's a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses.

Yeah, IDK on the letter designations could even be different depending on OC I've always referred to them as "in line" or "move" or if you prefer

Gruden- speak "move" becomes "joker".

Also, thanks!

Tim Wright is a mismatch TE with his speed as a 'move' TE. Certainly has good speed and larger hands:

• 40 Time: 4.68
  • Vertical Leap: 36"
  • Hand Size: 11 1/8"
  • Arm Length: 34"
  • Cone Drill: 7.27

I don't think this says anything about Gronk. Maybe they think Wright can fill in as a "move" TE similar to Hernandez? Or maybe they just weren't happy with their TE depth behind Gronk.

I think that is exactly what they want to do.

They wanna run 2 TE sets to create mismatches in the secondary that Brady can exploit.

that 2 TE offense they ran when they had both Gronk and Hernandez was killer. LB's had to be really careful about covering the right guy cuz you never knew which TE would go for a Pass or which will block.

I would not be surprised if NE tries to do this again.

I await Mike Reiss's assessment of this trade. I am inclined to agree w LJR and think Green will need a little time.

Reiss appears generally complimentary of Wright but also states an opinion that the trade was primarily driven by Mankins' contract situation

Reiss appears generally complimentary of Wright but also states an opinion that the trade was primarily driven by Mankins' contract situation

and I think Reiss is correct.

Mankins was going to be $10mil against the salary cap? And $14mil the following year?

That simply isn't the "value" NE puts on a Guard. So they dump his salary, get a TE Belichick has been eyeing, and get a draft pick.

It is a typical, cut-throat, bottom-line, emotionless Bill Beiichick, Patriots move.

As a fan of the team, am I happy? I don't know. I hate to losing Mankins - loved the guy.

But I've seen them do this before (Milloy, Seymour) and they are right more often than they're wrong so I have a lot of faith in them. If Wright makes an impact, it's just another file in the "genius" folder.

and I think Reiss is correct.

Mankins was going to be $10mil against the salary cap? And $14mil the following year?

That simply isn't the "value" NE puts on a Guard. So they dump his salary, get a TE Belichick has been eyeing, and get a draft pick.

It is a typical, cut-throat, bottom-line, emotionless Bill Beiichick, Patriots move.

As a fan of the team, am I happy? I don't know. I hate to losing Mankins - loved the guy.

But I've seen them do this before (Milloy, Seymour) and they are right more often than they're wrong so I have a lot of faith in them. If Wright makes an impact, it's just another file in the "genius" folder.

My concern is replacing Mankins' attitude and leadership.

Also the o-line is a bit of a question mark this year. New line coach, hole at right guard, and now a hole at left guard too. I think they'll ultimately be fine but maybe Belichick ends up looking a little too cocky with this move.

However I think it was pretty much inevitable since Mankins apparently refused to restructure his deal

My concern is replacing Mankins' attitude and leadership.

Also the o-line is a bit of a question mark this year. New line coach, hole at right guard, and now a hole at left guard too. I think they'll ultimately be fine but maybe Belichick ends up looking a little too cocky with this move.

However I think it was pretty much inevitable since Mankins apparently refused to restructure his deal

There is no replacing Mankins' attitude and leadership - he was that offense's "tough guy" and I don't see anyone that can fill that role.

And Mankins has played hard-ball, "cut-throat" right back at NE in all their negotiations - his last contract/hold-out was a showdown. I don't blame either side for standing their ground. Mankins is what he is - he doesn't back down from anyone even at the negotiations table - and that's why he was dealt - his $10mil cap hit simply isn't what NE is willing to pay for a Guard.

Well Tim Wright looked pretty good last night. Only been in NE a couple days yet he seemed to grasp the offense intuitively. Just a vanilla preseason game though

Well Tim Wright looked pretty good last night. Only been in NE a couple days yet he seemed to grasp the offense intuitively. Just a vanilla preseason game though

:thumbsup:

Wright played 43 of the 70 snaps last night catching 4 for 43 yards.

He was clearly in the H-Back (or "move" or "Joker") position and it seems clear that Gronk, Houman, and Wright will be the 3 TEs on this team with Wright as the only true H-back.

He looked impressive. Fast, athletic, made the catches and seemed be pretty intuitive. They moved him around a lot and even designed some stuff for him as the primary receiver.

It's pre-season, so don't read too much into it, but take it as a positive step for Wright - he passed his first test with flying colors.

I think hes a tweener than cant play either position all that effectively. I think there were more athletic backup tes no one was using the pats could have gotten over wright. I dont really trust the pats judgement on offense any more.

this may be a reasonable statement.

can you help me understand why you think this way?

According to pro football reference:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2013/

The NE Offense has ranked:

2013 - 3rd

2012 - 1st

2011 - 3rd

2010 - 1st

2009 - 6th

Tom Brady. Look at the absolute crap they have at receiver.

Dobson is ok

Thompkins sucks

Edelman is solid but wouldnt be known on a different team

Lafell sucks

Sudfeld was horrible

So when i am correct that wright is overrated, what then? Brady could elevate him, definitely possible. The pats could have gotten a better player imo. Wright is 220 pounds, tell me about all the great 220 pound tes.

Patriots minus brady and that offense would be doomed.

I think Wright will fit into the offense well either in 2 TE sets or as a tight slot (:lol:)

Wright released by Pat's

Obviously, not their best trade......but hard to argue with a Super Bowl.

Tom Brady. Look at the absolute crap they have at receiver.

Dobson is ok

Thompkins sucks

Edelman is solid but wouldnt be known on a different team

Lafell sucks

Sudfeld was horrible

So when i am correct that wright is overrated, what then? Brady could elevate him, definitely possible. The pats could have gotten a better player imo. Wright is 220 pounds, tell me about all the great 220 pound tes.

Patriots minus brady and that offense would be doomed.

Yep, tim wright sucks.

Yep, tim wright sucks.

You have a very long right arm

...and now TB reclaims him, after some fine training with Gronk in NE.

Mankins musta inflated Brady's balls or something.