Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Early Observations - AFC

Always one of my favorites. Doug overviews every team in AFC (NFC coming next week), cuts through the off-season hype and provides commentary on the fantasy storylines you need to know about.

Early Observations - AFC

I'll revisit this piece and it's NFC version again right before training camp begins.

Josh robinson as a featured back? Yeah i dont see that being a remote possibility. He had a horrible 40 time for his size.

As a Raider fan that's a pretty astute take on my team, at least fantasy-wise. Most fans of the Nation are just happy to have some professional type coaches in the East Bay, and the addition of Mike Tice is going to be huge. I feel the offensive line is going to be underrated, at least on the left side with LT Donald Penn, LG Gabe Jackson and new C Rodney Hudson. Barring major injury L Murray should easily eclipse 1,000 yards rushing and even with Helu will be a factor in the passing game. Speaking of, Amari Cooper is the real deal and will be lethal as a flanker coming across the middle and in the slot. Crabtree will see a lot of single coverage at split end due to Coop.

But the guy to watch is 3rd round rookie TE Clive Walford out of The U.The tight end position in the Raider offense has traditionally been one of potential. Mychal Rivera had some moments last year but was the worst blocking TE in the league. Watch for the multi talented Walford to connect with Derek Carr early and often and especially in the Red Zone, where Carr was actually pretty competent last year.

Most Raider fans just praying for a .500 season. Personally I feel the team will start off strong, but overall lack of depth will take its toll as injuries mount and we'll finish 7-9.

Josh robinson as a featured back? Yeah i dont see that being a remote possibility. He had a horrible 40 time for his size.

Sounds like Joseph Randle.

I think James White is the change-of-pace back to own in NE. The Pats let Vereen knowing they had White. Then they brought in the other guys for insurance but imo it is white's job to lose

Sounds like Joseph Randle.

Randle while a little smaller, is also a little quicker. Plus he plays behind the Dallas O line. Indys o line isnt very good. Most any rb behind the best o line in the league is going to be productive.

I wasn't saying that so much because I think he is a feature back per se, but more b/c I think that is how the Colts would use him as one if Gore got hurt or felt his age.

As a Raider fan that's a pretty astute take on my team, at least fantasy-wise. Most fans of the Nation are just happy to have some professional type coaches in the East Bay, and the addition of Mike Tice is going to be huge. I feel the offensive line is going to be underrated, at least on the left side with LT Donald Penn, LG Gabe Jackson and new C Rodney Hudson. Barring major injury L Murray should easily eclipse 1,000 yards rushing and even with Helu will be a factor in the passing game. Speaking of, Amari Cooper is the real deal and will be lethal as a flanker coming across the middle and in the slot. Crabtree will see a lot of single coverage at split end due to Coop.

But the guy to watch is 3rd round rookie TE Clive Walford out of The U.The tight end position in the Raider offense has traditionally been one of potential. Mychal Rivera had some moments last year but was the worst blocking TE in the league. Watch for the multi talented Walford to connect with Derek Carr early and often and especially in the Red Zone, where Carr was actually pretty competent last year.

Most Raider fans just praying for a .500 season. Personally I feel the team will start off strong, but overall lack of depth will take its toll as injuries mount and we'll finish 7-9.

Thanks Mick.

When I do these Early Observation pieces, I'm limited to the "puff pieces" I find (or have the time to read) and I really didn't see much buzz coming from Walford. With that said, I thought Walford was a great pick by the Raiders and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he becomes the clear top option at TE at some point early in the season. If used correctly, I think Walford ends up being the most fantasy-relevant TE in this draft (redraft and dynasty).

Thanks Mick.

When I do these Early Observation pieces, I'm limited to the "puff pieces" I find (or have the time to read) and I really didn't see much buzz coming from Walford. With that said, I thought Walford was a great pick by the Raiders and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he becomes the clear top option at TE at some point early in the season. If used correctly, I think Walford ends up being the most fantasy-relevant TE in this draft (redraft and dynasty).

Well, as I noted in another thread the Raiders could very easily traded up three spots at the top of Round 3 with Indy to select either AJ Cann of Alabama or Jeremiah Poutasi of Utah. Both were high on their board. And though they did select a guard in Round 4, the position is still considered unstable. That told fans how high they are on the multi-faceted Walford. Again, no matter the specific scheme or talent level, the TE in the Raider offense has always held strong fantasy potential.

• Like 1

He'll be starting there by next season.

He'll be starting there by next season.

The colts will have the worst collection of starting rbs in the league if that happens.

The colts will have the worst collection of starting rbs in the league if that happens.

You don't have to be a blazer yo be a successful RB, especially either a passing game like the Colts have yo keep defenses honest.

You don't have to be a blazer yo be a successful RB, especially either a passing game like the Colts have yo keep defenses honest.

No you dont, but you have to be at least a little talented. The colts could sign a FA like Pierre Thomas right now who would run circles around robinson. As part of a rbbc i could see, as the lead back in a passing offense where getting out of the backfield quickly is important, i just dont think it will happen. Nor do i think he will be very successful if it does.

No you dont, but you have to be at least a little talented. The colts could sign a FA like Pierre Thomas right now who would run circles around robinson. As part of a rbbc i could see, as the lead back in a passing offense where getting out of the backfield quickly is important, i just dont think it will happen. Nor do i think he will be very successful if it does.

The fact that you think Pierre Thomas would run circles around Robinson tells me you haven't fine your homework on a Robinson. Live and learn.

The fact that you think Pierre Thomas would run circles around Robinson tells me you haven't fine your homework on a Robinson. Live and learn.

You dont have to be a dlck dude. He is a better all around rb who has better hands, is quicker, and is very established in the pass game overall. Rbs who are very good in the pass game come free every year. PT, Vereen, and Helu this year alone. Next year there will probably be more rbs who specialize in the pass game with more talent and experience than Robinson.

I guess when a debate goes too long we have to question the other persons investment in their argument. Live and learn i guess.

You dont have to be a dlck dude. He is a better all around rb who has better hands, is quicker, and is very established in the pass game overall. Rbs who are very good in the pass game come free every year. PT, Vereen, and Helu this year alone. Next year there will probably be more rbs who specialize in the pass game with more talent and experience than Robinson.

I guess when a debate goes too long we have to question the other persons investment in their argument. Live and learn i guess.

You'll learn, hopefully the lesson won't be to costly.

Colts offensive line is butt ugly. Watched some tape of Bustmode when the Raiders signed him, and that offensive line except for Castanza is God-awful. Especially run blocking.

Buy at your own risk.

You'll learn, hopefully the lesson won't be to costly.

Hopefully not. I thought we were having some nice healthy debate about the rb situation too.

First concern I've seen about Bell's knee. That might put a kink in my AFC Championship game prediction: Pittsburgh @ Indy.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/7/15/8967525/steelers-rb-leveon-bell-says-hes-in-the-best-shape-of-his-life

It's safe to say that Le'Veon Bell is not resting on his laurels.

A year after earning All-Pro honors and tallying over 2,000 all-purpose yards, Bell has spent this off-season posting more workout videos than Richard Simmons did in his prime. It's clear that Bell is eager to solidify his place among the league's best running backs while wanting to help the Steelers make a deep playoff run for the first time since the 2010 season.

On Monday, Bell again shared the progress he's made this past off-season on social media while also providing a telling quote that should be sweet music for Steelers fans.

"I've never felt this good in my life...easily the best shape I've ever been in!", Bell said on his Facebook page in a post that was also accompanied by another workout video showcasing Bell putting in work under the hot glare of the summer sun.

Bell doesnt even acknowledge a knee issue. After a quick search i didnt find anything recent about his knee being a problem.

Follow the link in my write-up.

"Bell's knee injury that caused him to miss the playoff loss to the Ravens is now close to 100 percent, Bell said. The injury was barely 50 percent in January, he said."

The link was dated in late May and I have read nothing about his knee since either, so we can probably assume he is ready to rock.

Im not worried. He has the first 3 regular season games off so he should be ok by the time he is off suspension.

I'm not sure what another month and three weeks is going to do for a guy that still isn't healed from an injury about seven months ago that didn't involve any torn ligaments or broken bones. I'm going to assume he'll be 100 percent by the time he sees the field in my rankings and projections, but this is not what I want to read if I'm a Bell owner.

I'm not sure what another month and three weeks is going to do for a guy that still isn't healed from an injury about seven months ago that didn't involve any torn ligaments or broken bones. I'm going to assume he'll be 100 percent by the time he sees the field in my rankings and projections, but this is not what I want to read if I'm a Bell owner.

No its definitely not something i want to hear being a bell owner in 2 dynasties and a keeper. I will not draft him in any MFL10 leagues either unless every top rb is gone since i already have a large investment in him.

It does still surprise me how high he goes in a best ball format. Its not like people can scour the WW to find a fill in for 3 weeks. You get production for 12 or 13 games, instead of a full 15 or 16 out of most other backs.

No its definitely not something i want to hear being a bell owner in 2 dynasties and a keeper. I will not draft him in any MFL10 leagues either unless every top rb is gone since i already have a large investment in him.

It does still surprise me how high he goes in a best ball format. Its not like people can scour the WW to find a fill in for 3 weeks. You get production for 12 or 13 games, instead of a full 15 or 16 out of most other backs.

I think I completely agree with everything you said here. Then again, given how slowly all my teams come out of the gate anymore, Bell is probably my guy :P