Sign in to follow this  
12th Man

Donald Trump: The Most Honest President in Modern History!

Thank God for President Trump! #MAGA!!

Marc Thiessen: Trump could be the most honest president in modern history

By Marc Thiessen

Published October 12, 2018

Donald Trump may be remembered as the most honest president in modern American history.

Don't get me wrong, Trump lies all the time. He said that he "enacted the biggest tax cuts and reforms in American history" (actually they are the eighth largest) and that "our economy is the strongest it's ever been in the history of our country" (which may one day be true, but not yet). In part, it's a New York thing -- everything is the biggest and the best.

But when it comes to the real barometer of presidential truthfulness -- keeping his promises -- Trump is a paragon of honesty. For better or worse, since taking office Trump has done exactly what he promised he would do.

Trump kept his promise to move the U.S. Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, something his three immediate predecessors also promised yet failed to do. He promised to "crush and destroy ISIS," and two years later he is on the verge of eliminating the Islamic State's physical caliphate. He promised to impose a travel ban on countries that he saw as posing a terrorist threat, and after several false starts the final version of his ban was upheld by the Supreme Court. He promised to punish Syria if it used chemical weapons on its people, and, unlike his immediate predecessor, he followed through -- not once but twice.

Trump pledged to nominate Supreme Court justices "in the mold of Justice [Antonin] Scalia," and now Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh sit on the high court. Trump also pledged to fill the federal appellate courts with young, conservative judges, and so far the Senate has confirmed 26 -- more than any recent president at this point in his administration.

Trump vowed to pass historic tax reforms, and signed the first major overhaul of the tax code in three decades. He vowed an unprecedented regulatory rollback, with a strict policy to eliminate two existing regulations for every new regulation. Instead, in his first year he eliminated 22 existing regulations for every new rule, achieved $8.1 billion in lifetime regulatory savings and is on track to achieve an additional $9.8 billion this year.

During the campaign, he told African American voters, "What do you have to lose? ... I will straighten it out. I'll bring jobs back. We'll bring spirit back." On his watch, African American unemployment reached the lowest level ever recorded, and his tax reform included a little-noticed provision creating "Opportunity Zones" to try to revitalize struggling towns and inner-city communities.

Trump promised to cancel President Barack Obama's Clean Power Plan, withdraw from the Paris climate accord, approve the Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines, and open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to exploration. He fulfilled all of those pledges.

On trade, he kept his promise to withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership and impose tariffs on steel and aluminum. He also committed to renegotiating NAFTA and the U.S.-Korea Free Trade Agreement -- and recently signed new deals with Mexico, Canada and South Korea. He committed to imposing tariffs on China to force it to open its markets and stop its theft of intellectual property -- and is following through on that pledge. Whatever one thinks of Trump's trade policies, he is doing exactly what he said.

The president pledged historic increases in defense spending, and delivered. He pledged to bring back manufacturing jobs, and manufacturing jobs are growing at the fastest pace in more than two decades. He pledged to sign "Right to Try" legislation to give dying Americans access to experimental treatments, and did. He pledged to take on the opioid epidemic, and will soon sign a sweeping bipartisan opioids package into law.

Where Trump has failed to keep promises, such as building the wall or repealing Obamacare, it has not been for a lack of trying. Only in a few rare instances has he backtracked on a campaign pledge -- such as when he admitted that he was wrong to promise a complete withdrawal of U.S. forces from Afghanistan and reversed course. I'm glad he did.

But whether one agrees or disagrees is not the point. When Trump says he will do something, you can take it to the bank. Yes, he takes liberties with the truth. But unlike his predecessor, he did not pass his signature legislative achievement on the basis of a lie ("If you like your health care plan, you can keep it") -- which is clearly worse than falsely bragging that your tax cut is the biggest ever.

The fact is, in his first two years, Trump has compiled a remarkable record of presidential promise-keeping. He'd probably say it's the best in history -- which may or may not end up being true. It's too soon to tell.

I read that on the way to work and its true. The other only campaign promise he broke is the Afghanistan withdrawal one.

I disagree with the author on that one, I wish hed kept it. There were others he did keep that Id wish hed break but its not like I didnt know them going in and I had already factored that in

Don't get me wrong, he's lived up to a majority of his campaign promises (which is great) but that does not equal honestly. If you ignore all the times anyone lies then everyone in the world is honest. President Trump lies all the time so to say he's the most honest is ludicrous. It should be that he's the president that's lived up to the most campaign promises.

I read that on the way to work and its true. The other only campaign promise he broke is the Afghanistan withdrawal one.

I disagree with the author on that one, I wish hed kept it. There were others he did keep that Id wish hed break but its not like I didnt know them going in and I had already factored that in

He also said he'd get term limits put in place but that's a ridiculous promise to make in the first place. There's no way that happens in today's environment.

He's been honest about keeping campaign promises, but then lies or "exaggerates" about most of said accomplishments. So to sum up the article. Trump is honest with campaign promise legislation until he talks about his campaign promise legislation.

Don't get me wrong, Trump lies all the time.

Jeesus, The Authors brain was probably molested. It's doing more gtmnastics than the Olypic broads. LOL 😁

I bet if you hooked up Trump to a polygraph all day every day for six months, you'd only get it to go off 3 or 4 times. "The best", "the greatest", "the biggest" may only be the 3rd best, the 6th greatest, and the 4th biggest, but that's just over the top New York speak for "really good" when you don't know or care about the other rivals. How many of his lies are where he's actually misleading us or is just a deliberate misdirection negotiating ploy?

When it comes to this sort of thing, it's like Trump and the media are playing chess and the media says "hey I got you, I won" and Trump says "yeah you got me" and smiles and walks away and the media starts crowing while there's a grenade under the table.

buzzfeed

:lol:

So predictable. I mean seriously. You got to come up with new shiit.

First, you do understand the technology these days right trumps voice and image can actually be captured on digital now? And what isn't it? He puts in Twitter?

not to mention, there's like 5 other sources you can choose from if you want to comprehensive list of his lies and other bullshiit.

But keep up the same old tired .

So predictable. I mean seriously. You got to come up with new shiit.

First, you do understand the technology these days right trumps voice and image can actually be captured on digital now? And what isn't it? He puts in Twitter?

not to mention, there's like 5 other sources you can choose from if you want to comprehensive list of his lies and other bullshiit.

But keep up the same old tired ######.

buzzfeed...

😂😂

He is a liar. He told us we would get sick of all the winning. Fiat out not true.

• Like 1

MOST

HONEST*

EVER

*If you don't count lying verbally or written as dishonest.

Healthcare? The wall?

Healthcare? The wall?

Hes sure made the effort. Its not for lack of trying. And Im not losing any sleep that hes failed at those. They need to come up with a plan for health care first instead of diving into the abyss. As for the wall, cracking down on illegal entry and employers should be good enough. I didnt like the family seperation thing and am glad that changed, Ive other policy differences too. Im only 70% on board with him on immigration.

Most honest president ever, if you dont count all the lying.

Also sanest if you dont count his blubbering Twitter meltdowns.

The TDS is getting worse and worse every day. Trump plays you liberal sheep like a fiddle. Distracts you with the latest shiny object over there while real and actual work is getting done over here. :lol:

Trump passed less legislation in his first year than any president in the post WW2 era. :wacko:

ETA: I see you edited your post to replace the word legislation with work. Obviously work is completely debatable, with guys who call golf work meetings. I guess thats what I get for not quoting for historical context. :cheers:

Trump passed less legislation in his first year than any president in the post WW2 era. :wacko:

ETA: I see you edited your post to replace the word legislation with work. Obviously work is completely debatable, with guys who call golf work meetings. I guess thats what I get for not quoting for historical context. :cheers:

Yeah, he's not getting anything done.

Its funny because his supporters use TDS to describe irrational hatred of the Don, while it is just as applicable to irrational support.

But even if support his accomplishments, its an absurd stretch to call him honest.

Even funnier when juxtaposed with the previous administration claiming to be the most transparent administration in history. Objective observation proves otherwise but don't tell the cultists.

When Obummer was in office this forearm was overrun with Republicans complaining about Obummer. Now Trump is in office and the GOP has both houses of Congress, and the forearm is overrun with Republicans gloating and whining about Democrats. The common denominator seems to be Republicans whining and crying.

• Like 1

When Obummer was in office this forearm was overrun with Republicans complaining about Obummer. Now Trump is in office and the GOP has both houses of Congress, and the forearm is overrun with Republicans gloating and whining about Democrats. The common denominator seems to be Republicans whining and crying.

Uhm....repeating the word "WINNING" is not - by any stretch of the imagination - considered "whining".

I don't think you know what the word "whining" means, even though you just did it in your post and, in fact, most of your posts.

• Like 1

What President has EVER passed legislation? Hint: none. Not his job.

I won't argue your point but I remember guys like worms, newbie, sho, frank m, Nikki, old maid.... some I've forgotten, I'm sure. It seemed the bored was lousy with libruls at the time.

On the flip there was RP and drobs who :argue: with them on the daily. And y'all got RP banned for it. Seems like those libs don't have the stomach for it now that the tables have turned and left voluntarily.:dunno:

Semantics is cool and good.

Semantics my ass. The president literally cannot pass legislation. Wtf do you want him to do? Don't be a partisan hack idiot.

Even funnier when juxtaposed with the previous administration claiming to be the most transparent administration in history. Objective observation proves otherwise but don't tell the cultists.

Must’ve missed that thread :dunno:

Technically, Obama was the least transparent president anyhow.

Semantics my ass. The president literally cannot pass legislation. Wtf do you want him to do? Don't be a partisan hack idiot.

The president literally signs every single piece of legislation. Trump has both houses and passed the least in post WW2 history. Spin it however you want. I wasnt the one that posted about how much legislation was signed and then edited the post for (sorta) accuracy. Youre the guys that were complaining about how many executive orders obummer signed, only to defend Trump double down. Again, semantics.

The president literally signs every single piece of legislation. Trump has both houses and passed the least in post WW2 history. Spin it however you want. I wasnt the one that posted about how much legislation was signed and then edited the post for (sorta) accuracy. Youre the guys that were complaining about how many executive orders obummer signed, only to defend Trump double down. Again, semantics.

The President does NOT pass legislation, he signs it.

I posted originally and corrected my error - stop harping on that as if I did not correct it. In fact, I corrected it BEFORE you even posted, yet you keep bringing it up.

Riddle me this. If the president doesnt sign a piece of legislation, how does it become law? Ill hang up and wait for your reply. This should be good.

Riddle me this. If the president doesnt sign a piece of legislation, how does it become law? Ill hang up and wait for your reply. This should be good.

Congress overrides a veto

It's just a bill. It's only a bill. And its sittin there on capitol hill.