Sign in to follow this  
shotsup

Check in here if you do not care about Soccer

Playing indoor soccer one day a week was the most fun I had in high school. I took weight training and we would do plyometrics on Tues, and indoor soccer on Thurs. I sucked at it but it was still so much fun.

Not into watching outdoor Soccer, but allegedly Sac Republic games are fun. Maybe Sux and I should see if there's any truth to that.

I'm too old to start dating

I gotta say, watching the last 20 minutes of Mexico holding off Germany was pretty entertaining,

I gotta say, watching the last 20 minutes of Mexico holding off Germany was pretty entertaining,

Watching the replay right now. And I know that the score ends up 1-0. I've been watching since 32:00 or so. Guess that means I don't mind soccer :lol:

Lots of Mexican fans in Russia, they get loud as every time Mexico gets across midfield.

I was eating dinner last night and the TV was on, it was Argentina vs Iceland in the first half with the score tied 1-1. So I was rooting a bit for Iceland but there was no more scoring before the game went to halftime. I finished eating dinner and went upstairs.

Too little scoring makes soccer, hockey and a few other sports unwatchable.

Defense is fun to watch too if you know where to look

In defense of Hockey, at least there are multiple shots on goal.

Sometimes, the closest they get in soccer is a corner kick.

I appreciate the energy of the crowds and I appreciate the skill of the players......... But no, the sport does nothing for me - I'd rather watch Bob Ross reruns.

I really like the sport but it is a long watch on TV. The world cup though is probably the best tournament of any sport with the exception of NCAA basketball. It should expand some I think to ensure more teams (countries) have more opportunity.

Tell you what though:

Soccer WAGS >>>>>>> any other sport you want to name.

At some points this weekend 3 games had finished; 6 teams had scored a total of 4 goals (1-0, 1-0, 1-1). Purists talk about the beauty of "ball control" but I caught the end of Argentina vs. Iceland (1-1 tie) and Argentina I believe controlled the ball 80%+ of the time in the game. And from my untrained eye Argentina was far superior. It's just so freaking hard to score, at least at the WC level.

Still, I'll put the WC on occasionally, because it is the biggest sporting event in the world. :thumbsup:

I really like the sport but it is a long watch on TV. The world cup though is probably the best tournament of any sport with the exception of NCAA basketball. It should expand some I think to ensure more teams (countries) have more opportunity.

it is quicker than most sports, typically finishing in about 2 hours. these group stage matches and in season matches can end in draws. you get a little extended time, but often not much more than 5 minutes.

Can't believe nobody has brought this up yet.

The worst part of soccer is Americans and especially American Media trying 2 make soccer something it just isn't here in the states.

They're trying their damnedest to replicate the same energy fervor and excitement that you might find in Europe and their broadcasts. But that just doesn't work when 99% of the country just couldn't give a shiit.

" we're in for a Slytherin type of match today! it is Brittany upon avonshire versus East North Fockistan! Theese two have a long and storied history! I tell you the blood runs thick here! Don your Bumble shirts and make ready your Sterlings! The teas on the kettle now lads!"

I remember 10-20 years ago that soccer was going to be the next bog thing. It was going to take over baseball for sure as the prime sport in the US. Mmmmmm hmmmm. 20 years later we have the big 4....and soccer is still a sport that non athletic kids play.

The worst part of soccer is Americans and especially American Media trying 2 make soccer something it just isn't here in the states.

They're trying their damnedest to replicate the same energy fervor and excitement that you might find in Europe and their broadcasts. But that just doesn't work when 99% of the country just couldn't give a shiit.

" we're in for a Slytherin type of match today! it is Brittany upon avonshire versus East North Fockistan! Theese two have a long and storied history! I tell you the blood runs thick here! Don your Bumble shirts and make ready your Sterlings! The teas on the kettle now lads!"

it would be "nice" if the US could enter a conversation about having a history, but i agree that forcing it was not the way to go. what may help is what is happening now with the MLS- signing more international players. even some of the older guys are impactful.

I used to work in a room full of Europeans. The World Cup was ridiculous. Nothing ever got done.

Most of the time they were dicks about American football so this is my opportunity to with them.

" yeah, soccer cracks me up. They talk about what great athletes these guys are and how amazing they are with ball control. And then when they finally after about, I don't know, 17 hours finally take a shot on goal? Swear to Christ they miss it by 30 yards.! I mean, I can see missing it by inches, even a foot but when these guys miss I mean they ficking miss! You'd think after all that time theyd try to aim a little bit better."

30 Euros: 😠

Me 😂

Seriously, I'm not kidding. Watch their shots on goal. These f*ckers miss by a good 20 and 30 feet! I mean, how the fuk? 😂

I had some British asxshole get all uppity and tell me that you just don't understand! They're aiming for the corner!

Of what? The f*cking Stadium?

😂

The Americans on the floor absolutely loved that.

it is quicker than most sports, typically finishing in about 2 hours. these group stage matches and in season matches can end in draws. you get a little extended time, but often not much more than 5 minutes.

It's not the time so much as the back and forth with little happening. I get that it's low scoring and I'm fine with that. But in low scoring sports like hockey, at least there seems to be more flashes of just something. Soccer certainly has those but they are fewer and far between for me. So that makes the 90-100 mins of play great if you have DVR and don't watch it live but on a +1 where you can slow it down and catch those runs and breaks or stops... otherwise, it's like a baseline volley in men's tennis or a 300 drive in golf down a 400 yard wide fairway.

The worst part about soccer is that players arent allowed to use their hands and arms.

At least you use your hands to control a stick in hockey and lacrosse.