Sign in to follow this  
mobb_deep

Steel and Aluminum Tariffs (Good or bad?)

Its the whole problem with the stupid America First mantra.

We live in a globalized world now.

Dont like it? Too focking bad. Might as well complain about how the horse and buggy days were better.

So yeah, it reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of the way things are. Theres no victory here, even if you win the battle (you wont) youre definitely losing the war.

I don't have a problem with globalization and can see clearly where the world is heading. What I don't like is globalization being shoved down my throat when clearly a large portion of the country is opposed to it.

To those opposed.....the MSM/Dems were against the Tax Reform Bill. You know the one that gave 80% of Americans more of their hard earned money back. Shortly thereafter companies paid bonuses, raised their minimum wage to the level sought nationwide, brought money parked overseas back to America, etc.

That's who you're choosing to trust?

Whereas I see a guy who knows what's going to work, has been under attacked since day One yet keeps kicking a$$...

That's who I'm trusting.

In 2009 President Obama imposed a 35 percent tariff on car tires imported from China and no one talked about it.

Crazy isn't? Obama could do pretty much anything. Trump uses a paper towel to wipe his nose and media goes ape sh1t

• Like 1

To those opposed.....the MSM/Dems were against the Tax Reform Bill. You know the one that gave 80% of Americans more of their hard earned money back. Shortly thereafter companies paid bonuses, raised their minimum wage to the level sought nationwide, brought money parked overseas back to America, etc.

That's who you're choosing to trust?

Whereas I see a guy who knows what's going to work, has been under attacked since day One yet keeps kicking a$$...

That's who I'm trusting.

To be fair, half of the GOP seems to be against it too. I'm not questioning the motives of either party, but still....

Crazy isn't? Obama could do pretty much anything. Trump uses a paper towel to wipe his nose and media goes ape sh1t

The right bitched about what type of mustard Obama used.

And plenty of economic now mists didnt like it from Obama...and it wasnt a good thing...

To be fair, half of the GOP seems to be against it too. I'm not questioning the motives of either party, but still....

As some were initially of any tax reform.

Trump bucks the establishment but is that a bad thing when you realize that establishment is driving our country further into debt.

Now Trump is saying Tariffs might come off with NAFTA renegotiations. Reminiscent of bombing of Hanoi to bring people back to the negotiating table.

I am fine with it, cause I dont know why we pay more in tariffs than any country pays us

Because those that have purchased our government want it that way. They make more money with the cheap labor. But there's a new sheriff in town. But now you might see him impeached. He's gone too far.

Trump bucks the establishment but is that a bad thing when you realize that establishment is driving our country further into debt.

Now Trump is saying Tariffs might come off with NAFTA renegotiations. Reminiscent of bombing of Hanoi to bring people back to the negotiating table.

Agree. I just wanted to clarify that it's not just the MSM/dems in this case. It's the establishment as a whole. IE. Anyone receiving money from lobby XYZ is for or against it, based on whomever is funding them.

Doing my best to keep this a productive thread, and not a political slap fight. :cheers:

• Like 1

The right bitched about what type of mustard Obama used.

And plenty of economic now mists didnt like it from Obama...and it wasnt a good thing...

Yes we laughed at some of the stupid sh1t he did.

It's a constant thing when people have TDS how many Trump threads get started here. FBGs created a whole new board. Reddit is a complete dumpster fire and cnn went from a news station to a laughing stock.

The coverage isn't even close to what Obama had.

This is proof that the left still doesn't understand why she lost. Trump won on 5 states. Florida, no surprise they went republican, they have gone back and forth a lot and Obama barely won it twice and people liked him. She never had a chance. But it's the other four industrial states, the so called "blue wall" is what reallly got him elected. And why? Because he ran on issues like this that resonated to the people that are affected by globalization and high tarrifs on our exports. It was an issue, and he addressed it and those people in those former democratic strongholds voted because of it. Hillary could never make such a promise, because the banksters and Wall Street purchased her long ago. It wasn't racism. It was the economy, stupid.

Of course it's not. I love it when his party gets up in arms about something he does

Establishment driving it into debt? WTF do you think Trump and those Tax cuts are going to do?

He bucks rational and logical thought...not the establishment.

Because China makes them produce them in China. Just like Boeing. And you won't find many American cars in Japan or S Korea, but they are abundant here.

Just from what I see, id say Toyota and Volkswagen are by far the most common car on the road in china. You see some American cars, but they are by far a minority.

This is proof that the left still doesn't understand why she lost. Trump won on 5 states. Florida, no surprise they went republican, they have gone back and forth a lot and Obama barely won it twice and people liked him. She never had a chance. But it's the other four industrial states, the so called "blue wall" is what reallly got him elected. And why? Because he ran on issues like this that resonated to the people that are affected by globalization and high tarrifs on our exports. It was an issue, and he addressed it and those people in those former democratic strongholds voted because of it. Hillary could never make such a promise, because the banksters and Wall Street purchased her long ago. It wasn't racism. It was the economy, stupid.

Do people really not get why he beat Hilary? I couldn't believe it when it was happening, but immediately afterward it really did make sense.

I am not trying to debate any merits of union membership here, but what was really deflating for me was I couldn't even defend the Democratic party. They absolutely lost touch with working people in general. So when I see union members so pro Trump and so anti Deomcrat, it's pretty sad how far the party has divulged from one of their core principals. They care more about bumping the minimum wage a few dollars and calling all is well for the working man! Than protecting and passing meaningful legislation to defend workers rights

• Like 1

Do people really not get why he beat Hilary? I couldn't believe it when it was happening, but immediately afterward it really did make sense.

I am not trying to debate any merits of union membership here, but what was really deflating for me was I couldn't even defend the Democratic party. They absolutely lost touch with working people in general. So when I see union members so pro Trump and so anti Deomcrat, it's pretty sad how far the party has divulged from one of their core principals. They care more about bumping the minimum wage a few dollars and calling all is well for the working man! Than protecting and passing meaningful legislation to defend workers rights

You got it. And I don't think they're getting them back. Union guys have come pretty far left, but even they have their limits, and the democrats have gone overboard.

Well, for the all of a sudden Geniuses here who know everything about global macroeconomic policy let's just drop this turd.

Gary Cohn, former president of Goldman Sachs, and Trump's top economic advisor has just now resigned because of the absolutely moronic idea of implementing these ridiculous tariffs. Do you think you know better than him? Does Trump employ the best and the brightest or are you smarter than they are?

On the bright side, it appears that Trump at least accidentally is indeed draining the swamp. LOL

And oh, by the way, Trump swears there's no chaos going on in the white house. Yet he's actively pushing Kelly out the door and guess who was supposed to replace Kelly? You guessed it, Gary Cohn.

The White House has two types of people working for them. Those who outwardly dont agree with trump and wont work for him...and those who inwardly dont agree with him but keep it quiet cuz its a job and are mortified to even show their face in public or to their families.

Well, for the all of a sudden Geniuses here who know everything about global macroeconomic policy let's just drop this turd.

Gary Cohn, former president of Goldman Sachs, and Trump's top economic advisor has just now resigned because of the absolutely moronic idea of implementing these ridiculous tariffs. Do you think you know better than him? Does Trump employ the best and the brightest or are you smarter than they are?

On the bright side, it appears that Trump at least accidentally is indeed draining the swamp. LOL

What concerns me with all these people leaving the WH, this was President Trumps A team of the "best" people, what happens when the JV team steps in?

Loving these tariffs. Taking the fight to them. No wonder Cohen stepped down. He would have to face the boys at the Mothership (GS) and explain how he could let this happen. That's not why he was sent there. American jobs are not the priority. This quarters earnings are.

Loving these tariffs. Taking the fight to them. No wonder Cohen stepped down. He would have to face the boys at the Mothership (GS) and explain how he could let this happen. That's not why he was sent there. American jobs are not the priority. This quarters earnings are.

You do realize that this is the same guy that Trump loved just weeks ago for drafting a tax policy that was all about jobs jobs jobs!

And by the way, shuttering American factories due to a lack of raw materials doesn't create jobs jobs jobs!

Jesus, I hope you fuckers stretch really well every morning to bend over backwards like that.

You do realize that this is the same guy that Trump loved just weeks ago for drafting a tax policy that was all about jobs jobs jobs!

And by the way, shuttering American factories due to a lack of raw materials doesn't create jobs jobs jobs!

Jesus, I hope you fuckers stretch really well every morning to bend over backwards like that.

So Milton Friedman, tell me why our goods should be taxed at a higher rate than theirs? We already have to protect them from big bad Russia. What else shouid we do?

What concerns me with all these people leaving the WH, this was President Trumps A team of the "best" people, what happens when the JV team steps in?

What should concern Trump bigly is all these people leaving. Not just for the prima facie problems there in and those that are revealed. But for the fact that virtually every single one of them has already racked up six figures and More in legal fees. Which means every one of them is going to want or need to write a book. And, as more and more Revelations come out, each next writer is going to have to reveal even more damaging and salacious detail in order 2 sell his or her book. Give it about 6 months and it's going to be a freaking Massacre.

If Trump can't stop the leaks while these guys are working right next to him? Just wait now that they're gone. And late word is Kelly is right behind them.

So, out of the entire original crew, that leaves just Ivanka and Jared. Fantastic.

Ill be the first one to freely admit that I dont know. Dont have the first damn clue what the consequences will be.

It sounds good. It sounds good to say our products are taxed higher, fock the Euros (I assume that is true, I dunno.) Which is mostly the point I guess. Many experts seem to think its really bad.

But Im certainly no expert. Nobody here is.

Ill be the first one to freely admit that I dont know. Dont have the first damn clue what the consequences will be.

It sounds good. It sounds good to say our products are taxed higher, fock the Euros (I assume that is true, I dunno.) Which is mostly the point I guess. Many experts seem to think its really bad.

But Im certainly no expert. Nobody here is.

Prices rise is the likely consequence.

And for TN a large investment from Electrolux is now up in the air...to the tune of $250,000,000 I believe.

Democrats against Steelworkers. And the AFL- CIO and with Wall Street. No wonder they need those illegals to vote.

BOOM!

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1GH2SM

Good, we shouldn't be buying and building military equipment with garbage steel.

Trump wants to strengthen our military, the complete opposite of what that scumbag barry did.

Because spending 5x more than the second highest spending country is not quite cutting it. Especially when were at war with a bunch of 3rd world retards. Got to prop up the war machine! Our economy depends on it!

BOOM!

Good, we shouldn't be buying and building military equipment with garbage steel.

Trump wants to strengthen our military, the complete opposite of what that scumbag barry did.

Barry did what?

Also what military equip were we buying or building from cheap steel and steel from where?

BOOM!

It's funny how it's never brought up about what Obama let happen to our Navy during his tenure. It's a mess. More than half the ships aren't seaworthy, no Carriers on deployment anywhere at times.

It's funny how it's never brought up about what Obama let happen to our Navy during his tenure. It's a mess. More than half the ships aren't seaworthy, no Carriers on deployment anywhere at times.

Youre really gonna claim all twelve carriers were just lying around in dry dock somewhere?

I find that highly focking unlikely.

Youre really gonna claim all twelve carriers were just lying around in dry dock somewhere?

That's my claim. It's a fact. January of last year.

That was a popular trope running around the Retard circles years ago. Never mind the fact that you can pull up websites that show the status of our carriers. In fact, pretty sure I did exactly that.

And, by the way kiddos, the Navy does this about every two years. They run in front of Congress and say good Lord! Are ship levels RX percentage of what they were in World War II! Well no , we were in World War II! And the technology has changed radically on top of that. And, set aside the technology. Look at all the places where we still have massive troop build-ups all the way around the world as a result of World War II. We don't need 57 carriers running around the planet anymore.

I like a strong military as much as the next guy, but the Navy pulls this so often it's getting, strike that is ridiculous.

And, by the way kiddos, the Navy does this about every two years. They run in front of Congress and say good Lord! Are ship levels RX percentage of what they were in World War II! Well no ###### ######, we were in World War II! And the technology has changed radically on top of that. And, set aside the technology. Look at all the places where we still have massive troop build-ups all the way around the world as a result of World War II. We don't need 57 carriers running around the planet anymore.

I like a strong military as much as the next guy, but the Navy pulls this ###### so often it's getting, strike that is ###### ridiculous.

Hadn't been done since 2000, right after Clinton.

But that has nothing to do with the current tariffs. Trump was feeling frustrated and cornered and decided unilaterally without even as chief economic advisor to enter into yet another pissing match. Except, just like his pronouncement about tranny's and his pronouncement about guns and all these other pronouncements, he didn't actually do anything. He's just throwing another tantrum so he can get attention.

That was a popular trope running around the Retard circles years ago. Never mind the fact that you can pull up websites that show the status of our carriers. In fact, pretty sure I did exactly that.

It happened. What does what you pull up today have to do with what happened last year? Don't make things up man. It's easy enough to look up and confirm that Obama left our Navy in bad shape. Well, that's what the Navy says.

But that has nothing to do with the current tariffs. Trump was feeling frustrated and cornered and decided unilaterally without even as chief economic advisor to enter into yet another pissing match. Except, just like his pronouncement about tranny's and his pronouncement about guns and all these other pronouncements, he didn't actually do anything. He's just throwing another tantrum so he can get attention.

Or, maybe he ran on it and it helped him get elected?