Sign in to follow this  
mobb_deep

Steel and Aluminum Tariffs (Good or bad?)

Or, maybe he ran on it and it helped him get elected?

Like he ran on China being a currency manipulator and it got him elected?

Like he ran on the promise that he would be the greatest friend in the world 2 the LGBT community?

Like he ran on the idea then once he was elected he would be so presidential it'll make your head spin?

Like he ran on the idea that he was going to be so busy that he quote wouldn't have any time for golf? Not like that lazy Obama guy!

I'm sorry, kellyanne Conway told us that there is a difference between Trump the candidate and Trump the president. Or does that vary from one second to the other?

Like he ran on China being a currency manipulator and it got him elected?

Like he ran on the promise that he would be the greatest friend in the world 2 the LGBT community?

Like he ran on the idea then once he was elected he would be so presidential it'll make your head spin?

Like he ran on the idea that he was going to be so busy that he quote wouldn't have any time for golf? Not like that lazy Obama guy!

I'm sorry, kellyanne Conway told us that there is a difference between Trump the candidate and Trump the president. Or does that vary from one second to the other?

That's some great stuff but the subject here is the tariffs, which he made a campaign issue of, and he's keeping his word about our ridiculous trade policy. It's not like he said he was going to hold accountable the people that caused our economy to crash and gave them a bailout instead. Now thats a lie. A whopper.

Libs in here to crap on 500 Americans getting their well paying with benefits jobs back in 3, 2, .....

Libs in here to crap on 500 Americans getting their well paying with benefits jobs back in 3, 2, .....

Not gonna do that.

But its ridiculous to look at something as complex as a multi trillion dollar economy that way. Maybe the tariff gained these jobs over here, and lost some over there. Who knows?

Honestly, I tend to be in favor of the tariff, to the extent I have any business having an opinion on the matter. But cmon.

A great example of what happens with tariffs is the sugar industry. The government set up tariffs and restrictions on the import of sugar to protect the sugar producers in the US. It was great for them but bad for consumers and bad for industries that used sugar in their products.

Read this article to see those effects:https://www.heritage.org/agriculture/report/the-us-sugar-program-bad-consumers-bad-agriculture-and-bad-america#_ftn18

From article:

According to a 2006 study by the U.S. Department of Commerce, For each one sugar growing and harvesting job saved through high U.S. sugar prices, nearly three confectionery manufacturing jobs are lost.In general, trade barriers do not increase employment; they just shift the composition of jobs away from competitive industries toward those favored by the government.

This tariff will raise steel and aluminum prices for every American industry that needs steel and aluminum. Too bad Boeing. Too bad Caterpillar. Tough luck Car industries. Tough luck beer companies.

The biggest losers are of course the consumers. This will take money out of your pocket. Its nothing more than a tax that will fatten the wallets of the steel producers. It will end up costing more jobs than it protects.

To those opposed.....the MSM/Dems were against the Tax Reform Bill. You know the one that gave 80% of Americans more of their hard earned money back. Shortly thereafter companies paid bonuses, raised their minimum wage to the level sought nationwide, brought money parked overseas back to America, etc.

That's who you're choosing to trust?

Whereas I see a guy who knows what's going to work, has been under attacked since day One yet keeps kicking a$$...

That's who I'm trusting.

I think most conservative groups are against the steel tariff. Libertarians and the tea party should be marching in front of the White House over this.

A great example of what happens with tariffs is the sugar industry. The government set up tariffs and restrictions on the import of sugar to protect the sugar producers in the US. It was great for them but bad for consumers and bad for industries that used sugar in their products.

Read this article to see those effects:https://www.heritage.org/agriculture/report/the-us-sugar-program-bad-consumers-bad-agriculture-and-bad-america#_ftn18

From article:

According to a 2006 study by the U.S. Department of Commerce, For each one sugar growing and harvesting job saved through high U.S. sugar prices, nearly three confectionery manufacturing jobs are lost.In general, trade barriers do not increase employment; they just shift the composition of jobs away from competitive industries toward those favored by the government.

This tariff will raise steel and aluminum prices for every American industry that needs steel and aluminum. Too bad Boeing. Too bad Caterpillar. Tough luck Car industries. Tough luck beer companies.

The biggest losers are of course the consumers. This will take money out of your pocket. Its nothing more than a tax that will fatten the wallets of the steel producers. It will end up costing more jobs than it protects.

Can you explain why it's good that our exports are taxed at higher rates in other countries and their imports are taxed at lower rates coming into our country? Should be fairly simple, seeing as it's true.

Can you explain why it's good that our exports are taxed at higher rates in other countries and their imports are taxed at lower rates coming into our country? Should be fairly simple, seeing as it's true.

All tariffs on both sides are bad. A free market helps both sides. I just explained why I think this tariff would be bad for American consumers and be bad for American jobs. If Trump doesnt back down well find out if Im right. I think he ll back down though.

All tariffs on both sides are bad. A free market helps both sides. I just explained why I think this tariff would be bad for American consumers and be bad for American jobs. If Trump doesnt back down well find out if Im right. I think he ll back down though.

Ok, do you know why we originally agreed to these tariff imbalances?

Ok, do you know why we originally agreed to these tariff imbalances?

If I understand it correctly, the concept of NAFTA and other free trade agreements, is to encourage economic integration among nations. By extension thats supposed to boost economic prosperity for all. A nation rich in XYZ or good at growing corn can trade freely with a country good at building cars or planes. Instead of both countries competing to produce the same goods.

The problem is countries like Mexico blow at pretty much everything, and work for pocket change. That encourages all of the industries stupid people here depend on for a living to go to places like Mexico. The end result is mega corporations employing all of our idiots, to stock the shelves full of crap made in Mexico for pennies on the dollar.

:dunno:

If I understand it correctly, the concept of NAFTA and other free trade agreements, is to encourage economic integration among nations. By extension thats supposed to boost economic prosperity for all. A nation rich in XYZ or good at growing corn can trade freely with a country good at building cars or planes. Instead of both countries competing to produce the same goods.

The problem is countries like Mexico blow at pretty much everything, and work for pocket change. That encourages all of the industries stupid people here depend on for a living to go to places like Mexico. The end result is mega corporations employing all of our idiots, to stock the shelves full of crap made in Mexico for pennies on the dollar.

:dunno:

The idiots accusation is insulting, seeing as a guy who makes cars and steel isn't an idiot, but I digress. The original tariff imbalance was put in place after ww2 with Europe and Japan in order to help them rebuild. Plus we were still selling a lot to them so it wasn't all bad for our side. Well, when they got on their feet they started selling to us. Notice the explosion of Japanese cars in America starting in the 60's. It coincided with a period where America was making an inferior, more expensive product. Well, they are rebuilt at this point, and American car manufacturers have improved their product, but are still saddled with these outdated tarriff policies. There's no need for it anymore. As far as china goes, they joined the WTO in 2001. Who do you think financed all those factories over there? That's right, Wall Street and the banks. They got those tariffs in place so they could make sure they got paid on their investment. They got paid in buckets. It's time to even it up. Sorry it might cost you and me a few bucks so we can get the playing field a little more even. Itsnsad you have such a low opinion of the American worker.

The idiots accusation is insulting, seeing as a guy who makes cars and steel isn't an idiot, but I digress. The original tariff imbalance was put in place after ww2 with Europe and Japan in order to help them rebuild. Plus we were still selling a lot to them so it wasn't all bad for our side. Well, when they got on their feet they started selling to us. Notice the explosion of Japanese cars in America starting in the 60's. It coincided with a period where America was making an inferior, more expensive product. Well, they are rebuilt at this point, and American car manufacturers have improved their product, but are still saddled with these outdated tarriff policies. There's no need for it anymore. As far as china goes, they joined the WTO in 2001. Who do you think financed all those factories over there? That's right, Wall Street and the banks. They got those tariffs in place so they could make sure they got paid on their investment. They got paid in buckets. It's time to even it up. Sorry it might cost you and me a few bucks so we can get the playing field a little more even. Itsnsad you have such a low opinion of the American worker.

Sorry, but you dont even need a high school diploma to assemble a car. 90% of it is automated to begin with. If Mexico or China are going to pay people pennies on the dollar to build the same focking thing, theres no way we can compete with them. Tariffs arent going to fix the root of the problem.

Sorry, but you dont even need a high school diploma to assemble a car. 90% of it is automated to begin with. If Mexico or China are going to pay people pennies on the dollar to build the same focking thing, theres no way we can compete with them. Tariffs arent going to fix the root of the problem.

It's funny after all we have learned about higher education in our country that people, especially those with a bought and paid for degree, still derive arrogance from possessing one. You guys are so brilliant every company is trying to import people from elsewhere to give their jobs too. Or outsource them

It's funny after all we have learned about higher education in our country that people, especially those with a bought and paid for degree, still derive arrogance from possessing one. You guys are so brilliant every company is trying to import people from elsewhere to give their jobs too. Or outsource them

Now, youre just ranting. That still doesnt change the fact that if one country can pay people pennies on the dollar to manufacture things, passively taxing the people buying those goods isnt going to fix the problem.

Now, youre just ranting. That still doesnt change the fact that if one country can pay people pennies on the dollar to manufacture things, passively taxing the people buying those goods isnt going to fix the problem.

Sure that's an obstacle, but we don't need to add to the problem with a tariff on top of it. Nothing's perfect.

Well, Trump was supposed to sign tariff documents today, Thursday.

About midnight on Thursday the White House leaked that he's not going to do that.

And, as far as gun control legislation goes, apparently now he's thinking about just signing something about movies.

I think it'd be great, it would never happen, but it'd be great if the Press just as a whole boycotted him and Sarah the Sea Cow.

"Look,when you actually do something. And something that won't immediately get knocked down by the courts by the way, we'll come back and cover that okay? Until then just spouting off so you can get attention is getting really old. You hate us? Fine, peace. Bye bye now."

Don't cover his tweets, don't cover his freak Show reality show, not a thing. Even just one week and Trump would be losing his gourd. Of course, Fox would never play along.

But, fun to think about.

Done. Fire up them furnaces boys, you're going back to work!

"Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for US Steel" - Joe E. Lewis

There're both back baby! MAGA

Wait, wut? Then what was Wiff babbling about last night?

What happened? Other than the tariff itself? I'm really out of the loop these days. :(

What happened? Other than the tariff itself? I'm really out of the loop these days. :(

He made it official. Everyone but Mexico and Canada, for now. It depends on how the NAFTA renegotiations go.
  • Like 1

He made it official. Everyone but Mexico and Canada, for now. It depends on how the NAFTA renegotiations go.

:thumbsup:

My daddy came on the Ohio works

When he came home from World War Two

Now the yards just scrap and rubble

He said those big boys did what Hitler couldn't do

These Mills they built the tanks and bombs

That won this country's wars

We sent our kids to Korea and Vietnam

Now we wonder what they were dying for

Here in Youngstown

Here in Youngstown

Enjoy your higher prices

I'll enjoy my fellow Americans having a good job and a reason to get up every day. You and your kind would rather they stay on food stamps and hooked on pills and just fade away.

• Like 1

I'll enjoy my fellow Americans having a good job and a reason to get up every day. You and your kind would rather they stay on food stamps and hooked on pills and just fade away.

This. I don't think they are truly happy until government has forced them all to rely upon them to live.

• Like 1

No sh*t. People like Shobasementdweller pretend to care about the poor and yet here I am, a supposed conservative, constantly pushing for policies that may cost me money in the form of higher prices but would absolutely boost the income for people who don't make much. it's crazy the mental gymnastics these people have to go through to justify their hypocrisy.

• Like 1

No sh*t. People like Shobasementdweller pretend to care about the poor and yet here I am, a supposed conservative, constantly pushing for policies that may cost me money in the form of higher prices but would absolutely boost the income for people who don't make much. it's crazy the mental gymnastics these people have to go through to justify their hypocrisy.

These are good people who had their livelyhood ripped from them because of policy. Well, the policy didn't work. Now they have a shot at making it again and these clowns care that they may have to pay a little more for a washing machine and a can of beer.

• Like 1

This. I don't think they are truly happy until government has forced them all to rely upon them to live.

Its crazy how submissive some people are. Go out and get it on your own losers.

Oh yeah. They would love nothing more than if these people just dropped out and became just like the blacks they have been the supposed steward of the last 60 years. As long as they vote the right way, they'll give them just enough.

Im happy for the workers...its great for some of them. Bad for others who use steel and aluminum and now must face increased prices.

You all realize there are multiple sides to this coin. Steel workers do well...businesses that rely in steel suffer and the consumer suffers.

Also hilarious watching supposed conservatives support tariffs.

Or I realize that there is more to it than just steel jobs.

Im happy for the workers...its great for some of them. Bad for others who use steel and aluminum and now must face increased prices.

You all realize there are multiple sides to this coin. Steel workers do well...businesses that rely in steel suffer and the consumer suffers.

Also hilarious watching supposed conservatives support tariffs.

And businesses will adjust their prices accordingly.

From the Monomaghela Valley

To the Mesabi iron range

From the coal mines of Appalachia

The story's always the same

Seven hundred tons of metal a day

Now sir you tell me the worlds changed

Once I made you rich enough

Rich enough to forget my name

Here in Youngstown

Here in Youngstown.

And get what they can get. As usual.

No ...and the consumer pays for it.

Whats the pros?

Higher wages and more just be in one industry?

Cons?

Trade? Relationships with allies?

Wages and jobs in industries relying on steel and aluminum?

Consumer prices?

Seemed economists agreed the cons outweighed the pros...

Oh, so now it's a pragmatic discussion, all about pros and cons. But when it comes to illegals and refugees it's all about virtue. Too funny.

Americans- Bottom line it

Muslims and Illegals- We are humane, come to the US, never mind the costs.