Sign in to follow this  
cyclone24

Down go unions! About time...

Dont unions protect workers from unfair treatment or being fired or screwed with? I thought they were universally a good thing.

Theoretically yes. But not as much in practice.

Dont unions protect workers from unfair treatment or being fired or screwed with? I thought they were universally a good thing.

They do. It's not a perfect system, but employees as a whole have better wages and protection with a union. A lot of teachers are going to be in a for a rude awakening when they don't have the same protections.

They do. It's not a perfect system, but employees as a whole have better wages and protection with a union. A lot of teachers are going to be in a for a rude awakening when they don't have the same protections.

They'll just go on strike like they do anyway (under contract, i might add). And they'll do it without the taxpayers paying union dues.

The downsides (and yes, Im looking for a more unbiased study, but the statistics cited are without bias on their own) can be seen in this article.

There are upsides as well...but from the standpoint of teacher pay and turnover...I don't think it helped get the best and brightest into the profession.

https://www.americanprogressaction.org/issues/economy/reports/2017/11/15/169146/attacks-public-sector-unions-harm-states-act-10-affected-education-wisconsin/

That stuff is old news. The wave of the future is contract positions with no time off or benefits.

HTH

Ironically, this SC decision was passed by 5 Judges who will receive full salary benefits for the rest of their life - compliments of the taxpayers....

they are great in the private sector but they are nothing but a rip off of the taxpayer in the public sector
  • Like 1

they are great in the private sector but they are nothing but a rip off of the taxpayer in the public sector

GOP seems to hate organized labor in the private sector too.

Illinois, my home state, is royally buttfucked because of the insane pensions payed to union employees. As much as I am a union supporter, there needs to be balance. It cannot be all union all the time.

GOP seems to hate organized labor in the private sector too.

I think it's the crime and corruption that goes hand and hand with them.

Yeah and on the other hand non union employees wouldn't make as much as they do if unions didn't exist. Employers would have even more power over the middle class.

A small town here in mass.

3 police captains will make 375k

Therefore by a convenient rule negotiated with the town council means the chief will make 475k.

Did I mention the mayor's nephew happens to be a captain?

Insane

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/merrimack_valley/solomon-s-pay-would-soar-under-police-contracts/article_8bf4495f-19da-545f-b87d-fa904bb0f066.html

Good thing that stuff never goes on among employers or non labor workers.

I've been saying this since 1992. Shouldnt be forced into partipation. What made me pissed was the money unions spent that went towards political donations and advertisments that i disagreed with.

I honestly am ignorant on unions and the laws. Never had to experience one and dont know anything about it so I honestly dont know if this is a good thing or a bad thing

The unions should be thanking the politicians they funded who decided to side with BLM, bathroom freaks and illegal aliens. And Muslim refugees. Can't forget them.

I honestly am ignorant on unions and the laws. Never had to experience one and dont know anything about it so I honestly dont know if this is a good thing or a bad thing

So, do you feel you were held back by not being represented by a union and paying them money for doing so?

So, do you feel you were held back by not being represented by a union and paying them money for doing so?

I don't think asking a 30 year old who makes 15 an hour is the right guy to ask. Just sayin

I don't think asking a 30 year old who makes 15 an hour is the right guy to ask. Just sayin

Or an idiot who doesnt realize that the 30 year old no longer has a job and is still making more than the idiot :wave:

That question yes. But at the same time Im sure theres more to it than that. I just dont want to make decisions or assumptions without knowing everything. Not who I am.

Or an idiot who doesnt realize that the 30 year old no longer has a job and is still making more than the idiot :wave:

My pension is more than what a real nurse makes. Lol.

While not an issue I would argue vehemently about, I actual disagree with this ruling. These people will gladly take the benefits that were collectively bargained for on their behalf, but don't want to pay union dues to the people responsible?

Also, I think the last thing we need to do to teachers (for example) is to undermine their right to collectively bargain.

That would be great but the Union forces the company to offer the deal to everyone.

Have a friend that teaches.

He told me that a percentage of his teachers union dues goes directly to the Democratic Party.

Did not fact check but I believe it to be true. Told me "I'm a rebublican that donates to the democrats"

Have a friend that teaches.

He told me that a percentage of his teachers union dues goes directly to the Democratic Party.

Did not fact check but I believe it to be true. Told me "I'm a rebublican that donates to the democrats"

I got that a couple weeks ago from a UAW represented truck driver. He was not happy about that

A small town here in mass.

3 police captains will make 375k

Therefore by a convenient rule negotiated with the town council means the chief will make 475k.

Did I mention the mayor's nephew happens to be a captain?

Insane

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/merrimack_valley/solomon-s-pay-would-soar-under-police-contracts/article_8bf4495f-19da-545f-b87d-fa904bb0f066.html

That's pretty impressive for a cop. Wonder how they justify the salary in comparison to the rank-and-file officers?

Nurses have unions, don't they? I wish doctors did too.

Nurses have unions, don't they? I wish doctors did too.

I dunno. Not a nurse so I wouldnt know

Isn't it fascinating that Private Unions work hand in hand with the DNC to extort money from Union members, yet in the last election when Trump tried to resurrect industry, the DNC said "forget it, those jobs are gone forever". What are the Union members paying for?

• Like 1

They were. In 1910.

Isn't it fascinating that Private Unions work hand in hand with the DNC to extort money from Union members, yet in the last election when Trump tried to resurrect industry, the DNC said "forget it, those jobs are gone forever". What are the Union members paying for?

Not a lot. And they're starting to realize it.

This. Unions are being shaken awake by Trump's revitalization efforts for jobs/wages.

We have seen it for years. There were a lot of union members who voted for Trump. No meaningful legislation to protect workers rights and advance them has been passed, besides the minimum wage stuff.

Yup. Think about it. If there was a decent ROI on union dues why wouldn't a person want to pay it? But, given the option to participate or not, a significant portion opt out. They're not seeing the value.

I see unions being much like fraternal organizations. They had a time and a place, but the new generation really doesn't benefit like the old one. Their day has passed, the world has changed.

Yup. Think about it. If there was a decent ROI on union dues why wouldn't a person want to pay it? But, given the option to participate or not, a significant portion opt out. They're not seeing the value.

We will see. I think they believe they can get better value somewhere else. I doubt that actually happens. There will be a few teachers who make more, while the majority make less.