Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

***Official Seattle Seahawks Thread 2012***

If the value is right. John Schneider just said the other day how pleased he was that they can go into this draft without having to draft for need, like a LT two years ago, and took Okung. He is of the mind set best player available, and I'm on board. As of right now, the starting LBs would be KJ Wright, Barrett Rudd, Leroy Hill, so 2 of 3 starters from last year return. There are LBs that can fit that will be available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, so I don't think they are zeroed in on any player or positions, and would consider trading down if an offer comes along.

How do we think about the seeming lack of urgency by all 32 teams during free agency about grabbing ILBs? Sure, some of them got signed, but a lot were just sitting out there for weeks. You can make an argument that ILBs are less valuable today than say 5 years ago on the basis that the TE position has changed, and the slower TE of old, which you could cover on a seam route with an ILB, is no longer viable. Now you need a faster OLB or a bigger safety to do it since the TEs are faster. Or you can make an argument that everyone didn't feel urgency this year on the premise that there's a lot of depth at this position in the draft, so why sign a high-prioed FA when you can fill that role cheaper? Not sure which argument is better.

I agree with you on Mercilus. I'm beggining to hope my Titans get him @ 20. I've been hoping Barron falls, or Decastro, but I don't see either of those happening. Pairing Decastro with Hutch would be sweet, assuming we also replace our bum center.

I think you guys should take the kid from BC Kutechly or something? That kid looks like a stud.

I'm thinking we might go Luke. However, he's a little thin and a lot of his production was 5-10 yards down the field it seems. Rather then stepping up in the hole. I'm thinking he might need to go Outside at LB. So is that really worth the #12 pick? OLB? I do like him though. I think that could be a solid pick.

I kind of like Hightower just as much or better. Solid MLB. Hits like R. Lewis with some pounds behind him and might be better served for a rush over Luke. I'd be in favor of a trade down for Hightower, etc.

Whitney Mercilus is actually climbing up the boards a bit now. At least what I'm hearing. It's not a complete reach at #12 I think actually now. He's still my favorite for a huge need at pressure for us. And like somebody else said, we could fill our LB later. (If you got him at 20 it would be a steel. I think he's the best DE in the draft)

My list in order currently:

Blackmon, Richardson, Whitney Mercilus, D. Hightower, Luke Kuechly, Coples, Ingram, Upshaw.

I like WR's and RB's in the 2nd round. They are deep. Or there is some LB's there also.

I do think we will take best player. Please don't let it be Tannehill.

How do we think about the seeming lack of urgency by all 32 teams during free agency about grabbing ILBs? Sure, some of them got signed, but a lot were just sitting out there for weeks. You can make an argument that ILBs are less valuable today than say 5 years ago on the basis that the TE position has changed, and the slower TE of old, which you could cover on a seam route with an ILB, is no longer viable. Now you need a faster OLB or a bigger safety to do it since the TEs are faster. Or you can make an argument that everyone didn't feel urgency this year on the premise that there's a lot of depth at this position in the draft, so why sign a high-prioed FA when you can fill that role cheaper? Not sure which argument is better.

Interesting.

I absolutely agree that LB has been devalued in the league's eyes, even though I don't personally share the same philosophy. A great LB can be a havoc causing dynamo and a headache for offensive coordiantors. However, cornerbacks and QB sacking defensive linemen make the cash, and the LBs are brought in and discarded, used situationally, and with the outbreak of flooding as many potential pass catchers into each play (WR, TE, FB, RB), coaches feel more comfortable swapping out defensive backs in for LBs. I watch a ton of Canadian Football League, and the NFL is getting closer to that every day. Carroll is a defensive backfield coach at heart. I've also stated previously that since Carroll and Schneider got here, LB has gone from one of the highest paid positions on the team to lowest. Curry, Tatupu, Hawthorne gone. A 4th round pick contract with KJ Wright, Barrett Rudd and Leroy Hill currently with very inexpensive contracts. Hell, even our experienced backups are all gone. It's all kids and whatever we will in the depth with the rest of the offseason. Which would ultimately lead me to believe we will not go LB in the first round, and maybe wait until the mid rounds. Our defensive line is built to stop to run, and when healthy is among the best in the league at stopping it. You don't need stud LBs for helping in that role. We will look for coverage LBs primarily.

I'm thinking we might go Luke. However, he's a little thin and a lot of his production was 5-10 yards down the field it seems. Rather then stepping up in the hole. I'm thinking he might need to go Outside at LB. So is that really worth the #12 pick? OLB? I do like him though. I think that could be a solid pick.

I kind of like Hightower just as much or better. Solid MLB. Hits like R. Lewis with some pounds behind him and might be better served for a rush over Luke. I'd be in favor of a trade down for Hightower, etc.

Whitney Mercilus is actually climbing up the boards a bit now. At least what I'm hearing. It's not a complete reach at #12 I think actually now. He's still my favorite for a huge need at pressure for us. And like somebody else said, we could fill our LB later. (If you got him at 20 it would be a steel. I think he's the best DE in the draft)

Blackmon, Richardson, Whitney Mercilus, D. Hightower, Luke Kuechly, Coples, Ingram, Upshaw.

I like WR's and RB's in the 2nd round. They are deep. Or there is some LB's there also.

I'm amazed by how quickly the days are going by and now the draft is just so focking close. Some tweaking of the draft board early next week, and I'll be all liquored up by the time the crowd starts to boo the commissioner on Thursday.

I agree with you on Hightower. I like him as much as Kuechly.

If we went DE with that first pick. I think he'd be gone by our second.

My official draft round 1 and 2 pick guesses are: (And believe it or not. I actually hit this one time, I think Philly might be my only witness left here on the board though).

But I'm telling you. It did happen.

Anyhoo

Round 1. Luke Kuechly

Second pick: Nick Perry

This second pick is not a round 2 pick. Because I'm not sure how we get him. He could fall, and we get him at out spot. Or we could trade up in the second, or even back into the first to make the selection.

My official draft round 1 and 2 pick guesses are: (And believe it or not. I actually hit this one time, I think Philly might be my only witness left here on the board though).

Anyhoo

Round 1. Luke Kuechly

Second pick: Nick Perry

This second pick is not a round 2 pick. Because I'm not sure how we get him. He could fall, and we get him at out spot. Or we could trade up in the second, or even back into the first to make the selection.

I could see that also.... Perry I could see dropping to the 2nd as well. Although I'm not a huge fan, but I guess the 2nd is not a bad pick.

Another nice DE in the 2nd might be A. Branch or Shea McClellin, if we did go Luke in the 1st.

I did more tape this weekend, and I started to really like Luke a lot more. I actually did see where he steps up into the hole. Not everything is 5-10 yards down the field like I first thought. He's a great coverage LB.

I never see him blitz - But he was never asked too. Maybe he could be really good doing this. He's got good speed. He covers the entire field. He's a GREAT tackler.

I would not mind a Luke Kuechly pick.

Plus I saw some slowness at times on Hightower. I have Luke back at 1A, Hightower 1B.

But, there is a ton of depth at MLB late in this draft.

I think it's between Luke, Ingram, or Whitney (Coples)

I'm not a fan of Coples anymore! Saw some really bad things and concerns. He's not all that fast and explosive either.

Well, if we are doing predictions, as of right now, subject to change:

1st round: Melvin Ingram DE/OLB

2nd round: Vinny Curry DE

3rd round: RB LaMichael James or RB Bernard Peirce

Validatored.

Peter King thinks so.

Peter King has Down's Syndrome.

If Tannehill slips past Miami, any chance Seattle picks him to compete with Flynn? :unsure:

Depends on whether the Seahawks' front office thinks Tannehill is athletic enough to rush the passer and stop the run.

Depends on whether the Seahawks' front office thinks Tannehill is athletic enough to rush the passer and stop the run.

So hopefully not. I'm confident about stopping the run, but Clemons is still the only guy who can consistently get to the quarteback.

OK, days away from the draft, and some drinks down the ole gullet. Random thoughts. Ignore if you want.

It's now just murmurings. Everybody wants to trade down. Which means there is zero value in trading down. So, let's regroup. Let's cross off the first tier of the draft, guys the Hawks have no shot at...

The first 6 picks, no duh...

Andrew Luck

Robert Griffin III

Matt Kahil

Trent Richardson

Morris Claiborne

Justin Blackmon

OK. Let's concentrate. Pete Caroll and John Schneider are deceptive yet honest. They give off this stench of misinformation for the retards of the world like Peter King to run with (Tannehill), yet in local radio interviews have been proven to be straight shooters. Everything they have said honestly, with as much bullsh!t filter on as merited, and that's tricky, they keep honestly talking up how difficult it is to get pass rushers on one's team. Buckle in. We are not, NOT, trading down. Value won't be there, no matter how much they get filled up in their d!ck on plucking Hall of Famers in the middle rounds. We are going pure pass rusher. Since we are moving toward pass covering LBs, we are going D line first round. We can grab pass covering LBs later. Or a hybrid DE/OLB early. But a pass rusher first and foremost. What did Pete Carroll say at the end of the year press conference last year? We need defensive help, we need pass rush, and we are an elite defense away from those kind of players. So do your research, watch film, read mocks. But we are going pass rusher first round. Period. And, the value is right. Who do you like?

OK, days away from the draft, and some drinks down the ole gullet. Random thoughts. Ignore if you want.

It's now just murmurings. Everybody wants to trade down. Which means there is zero value in trading down. So, let's regroup. Let's cross off the first tier of the draft, guys the Hawks have no shot at...

The first 6 picks, no duh...

Andrew Luck

Robert Griffin III

Matt Kahil

Trent Richardson

Morris Claiborne

Justin Blackmon

OK. Let's concentrate. Pete Caroll and John Schneider are deceptive yet honest. They give off this stench of misinformation for the retards of the world like Peter King to run with (Tannehill), yet in local radio interviews have been proven to be straight shooters. Everything they have said honestly, with as much bullsh!t filter on as merited, and that's tricky, they keep honestly talking up how difficult it is to get pass rushers on one's team. Buckle in. We are not, NOT, trading down. Value won't be there, no matter how much they get filled up in their d!ck on plucking Hall of Famers in the middle rounds. We are going pure pass rusher. Since we are moving toward pass covering LBs, we are going D line first round. We can grab pass covering LBs later. Or a hybrid DE/OLB early. But a pass rusher first and foremost. What did Pete Carroll say at the end of the year press conference last year? We need defensive help, we need pass rush, and we are an elite defense away from those kind of players. So do your research, watch film, read mocks. But we are going pass rusher first round. Period. And, the value is right. Who do you like?

I completely agree... Although, when the draft hits things could get more high pressured and somebody could feel they need to trade up and jump somebody else to get the guy they really want. I wouldn't rule a trade down completely out.

I do think it's unlikely, but going from say 12 to 16 would allow a team to jump others, and the value they would have to give up is minimal. So the interest might be there still once the draft gets going and guy's are still on the board that teams really like, but won't make it another 4 picks.

I bet we will try and work the trade down at the very least.

I could see Phily/Dallas trying to jump each other, and fighting over Barron or top LB, which would only drop us like 4 picks or so.

Plus if you're only talking about a 5th rounder, then it's still very possible.

Were not going to see a blockbuster trade at 12 though. We won't see a 2nd or 3rd rounder coming to us I'm pretty sure. But, getting our 5th back might be realistic.

That being said, the Hawks seem pretty happy at 12 and even came out and said they like there options between 9-12.

Anyway - Pass rush. I want Whitney Mercilus!

Could very well be Ingram though. (And Luke Kuechly still does make sense)

However, I have both Ingram & Luke as OLB. Ingram comes up often to blitz.

DE is all about Whitney to me.

Fletcher Cox has an outside shot, but another DT? I don't know.

I really don't want Coples, but he would be the other DE option I guess.

Can't wait!

I completely agree... Although, when the draft hits things could get more high pressured and somebody could feel they need to trade up and jump somebody else to get the guy they really want. I wouldn't rule a trade down completely out.

I do think it's unlikely, but going from say 12 to 16 would allow a team to jump others, and the value they would have to give up is minimal. So the interest might be there still once the draft gets going and guy's are still on the board that teams really like, but won't make it another 4 picks.

I bet we will try and work the trade down at the very least.

I could see Phily/Dallas trying to jump each other, and fighting over Barron or top LB, which would only drop us like 4 picks or so.

Plus if you're only talking about a 5th rounder, then it's still very possible.

Were not going to see a blockbuster trade at 12 though. We won't see a 2nd or 3rd rounder coming to us I'm pretty sure. But, getting our 5th back might be realistic.

That being said, the Hawks seem pretty happy at 12 and even came out and said they like there options between 9-12.

Anyway - Pass rush. I want Whitney Mercilus!

Could very well be Ingram though. (And Luke Kuechly still does make sense)

However, I have both Ingram & Luke as OLB. Ingram comes up often to blitz.

DE is all about Whitney to me.

Fletcher Cox has an outside shot, but another DT? I don't know.

I really don't want Coples, but he would be the other DE option I guess.

Can't wait!

Oh, I also wanted to finish the mock you started. :)

I agree with the first 6.

7. Jax selects M. Floyd/WR

(2nd option - (Q. Coples/DE)

8. Miami selects R. Tannehill/QB

(2nd option - (Floyd/Wright/WR)

9. Carolina selects Dre Kirkpatrick/CB

(2nd option - (Floyd/Wright/WR)

10. Buffalo selects Fletcher Cox/DT

(2nd option - (Luke Kuechly/OLB)

11. KC selects R. Reiff/OT

(2nd option - (D. Poe/Brockers/Cox DT)

12. Seattle is on the clock:

Everybody's there..... oh my what to do?

Whitney, Ingram, Luke, Coples, Hightower, Upshaw all on the board for us.

Trading down 4 would be kind of nice.

I'll take Whitney if forced to stay. He's the kind of DE that doesn't come around very often and he's got huge potential. If he repeated his stats for his Sr. year he would be a top 5 pick.

Then I would look at LB in the 2nd - 4th. There are some good one's.

I would not fault them going with Luke though. Ingram maybe too.

I don't want anything to do with Tannenhill or Coples if their on the board.

I'm pulling for Kuechly, but wouldn't fault, or be disappointed, with any of those other guys should the front office believe that's their guy instead.

I'll say they go with Ingram at #12 if he's still on the board. PC/JS have talked about speed at DE, which Ingram has. He has short arms but still somehow finds a way to the QB. Coples has a ton of speed too, but do they want a guy who apparently turns it off when he's not interested?

PFT indicating rumors of Chargers interest in Barron, but worries that he won't be there at #18 for them, since Cowboys might be interested at #14. That would seem to suggest *some* interest in moving up to #13 or #12 if reports are accurate. I don't know what sort of compensation these days is fair for moving down to 18 from 12, but if it could bring in another Day 2 pick I would be in favor of making that move.

Link to article

Seahawks stand on a cliff

As far as John Schneider is concerned, he stands on the precipice. The Seattle Seahawks general manager views this year's crop of players as having several tiers. "Little cut-offs or ledges," he calls them. Based on the evaluations of the Seahawks staff, Schneider believes one ledge comes around the 12th or 13th selection, a separation between the elite and the really good.

That's why, with the 12th pick, Schneider thinks of himself as a man with his toes on the edge, ready to grab a big-time player or leap at a big-time trade. This is where he sees the draft turning.

Teams could be scrambling to get up to 10, 11, or 12 to nab the slippers and sliders. Schneider is expecting activity either way.

"We have to be prepared for other people to come to us," Schneider told NFL.com. "Either we have to be strong and just sit there and take a really cool player or be able to negotiate in a fast manner with a team trying to get up and just decided whether -- say they give you two picks -- if those two players base would be worth the guy we'd be giving up."

Other teams see different separations. One AFC personnel chief believes his cliff includes eight players. A rival GM has 18 players in all with first-round grades.

Schneider said he is set on two players who will be "very attractive" for his team at 12. He feels like he'll have a chance to draft at least one, though he wouldn't offer an identity. What he doesn't know is if a team will leap ahead of him and nab his guy. He's ready if that happens, though.

Schneider separates the players into categories of possibilities for each spot. If he trades to 17, he has a group of players there. If he trades into the second round, there's another cluster of players.

"We don't change our board," Schneider said. "We just know if we get out, instead of looking at this one player, we have a chance to get these two players in such and such round."

While the draft could hum along until the Seahawks selection, Schneider anticipates a decision: Pick one of his two coveted players or take an attractive offer?

"We have to be prepared for a couple different scenarios when we're picking," he said.

Link to article

Seahawks stand on a cliff

"Either we have to be strong and just sit there and take a really cool player or be able to negotiate in a fast manner with a team trying to get up and just decided whether -- say they give you two picks -- if those two players base would be worth the guy we'd be giving up."

:lol:

:lol:

Well, you have to balance that with a blurb I was reading about Tim Ruskell and his philosophy of drafting. He basically said that they didn't expect Aaron Rodgers to fall out of the Top Ten of the first round in that year's draft, so they did zero research on him like you need to do for a franchise QB. So, basically they traded back in the first round and nabbed Chris Spencer one pick ahead of Green Bay and Aaron Rodgers because they were unprepared in scouting Aaron Rodgers.

:shocking:

Well, you have to balance that with a blurb I was reading about Tim Ruskell and his philosophy of drafting. He basically said that they didn't expect Aaron Rodgers to fall out of the Top Ten of the first round in that year's draft, so they did zero research on him like you need to do for a franchise QB. So, basically they traded back in the first round and nabbed Chris Spencer one pick ahead of Green Bay and Aaron Rodgers because they were unprepared in scouting Aaron Rodgers.

:shocking:

Yeah, I'm glad we got an average center for 5 years instead of Rodgers.

I was commenting more on the upbeat way both Schneider and Carroll talk. "A really cool player"

Yeah, I'm glad we got an average center for 5 years instead of Rodgers.

I was commenting more on the upbeat way both Schneider and Carroll talk. "A really cool player"

That's cool.

I was just once again jumping up and down on the "Ruskell is an idiot" pile. He must have run out of money to do a background check on Rodgers.

Link Seattle Times; nothing we didn't already know

Seahawks search for a speed pass rusher in NFL draft

Quarterback is called the toughest job in football.

Finding someone to tackle that quarterback is just as troublesome, though. In fact, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said he thinks that specific talent might be even harder to locate.

"The most difficult talent to find is pass rushers," Carroll said. "It's why people try so hard and so often with guys early in the draft, trying to nail a pass rusher because they're just so special."

The Seahawks had better pack a lunch when they go to work this week because you know what they're looking for in the NFL draft this Thursday?

A pass rusher.

"There's a lot of edge rushers in this draft, which is exciting," Carroll said. "We're always looking. Certainly in this draft it's one of the issues that we'd like to attend to."

The Seahawks finished with 33 sacks last season, and Chris Clemons was the only player to finish with more than four. So who's Seattle going to select this week in hopes he will wreak all sorts of havoc in opposing backfields? There are several candidates for that job, starting with North Carolina's Quinton Coples, a 6-foot-6 physical specimen who is the kind of pass rusher a football coach would shape were he allowed to mold one from clay.

"He's a classic in the profile of the big pass rusher," Carroll said.

Or perhaps it is South Carolina's Melvin Ingram, who is 4 inches shorter with the versatility of a Swiss Army knife and the athleticism to perform a standing back flip.

"He's utilized totally differently," Carroll said. "He's a shorter guy with shorter leverage and all of that and has effectiveness and a total different style."

Could be Nick Perry, whom Carroll recruited to USC, or perhaps Courtney Upshaw of Alabama. Seattle's hunger for a pass rusher is enough to create its own wave of rumors. ESPN's Todd McShay said Monday he could see Syracuse's Chandler Jones going as high as 12 to Seattle.

So who does Seattle prefer?

You're going to have to wait and see.

"We're open to the variety of guys that can come to us," Carroll said.

Seattle can't afford to wait too long, though. Not if the Seahawks want someone capable of making an immediate impact.

The key to understanding the concept of draft value is realizing it's not just how talented a player is, but how rare those talents are and pass rushers capable of jump-starting a pass rush are so scarce they don't have to wait long to get selected.

In the previous seven years, 12 rookies finished with 10 or more sacks in their first season. Eleven of those players were first-round picks, and 10 were one of the first 13 players chosen that year.

You can find a starting linebacker in the fourth round like Seattle did last year with K.J. Wright. Heck, Doug Baldwin showed you don't necessarily have to spend a draft choice to land a receiver capable of catching more than 60 passes his first season as a Seahawk.

But if you think that you're going to find a pass rusher capable of jump-starting the defense sitting around in the second half of the draft, think again.

Speed is an essential part of the pass rush, a key not only to how fast a player gets off the line of scrimmage, but how quickly they tend to be drafted.

In the last 48 hours, DE Chandler Jones from Syracuse has rocketed up everybody's draft boards and a number of national pundits have him going to Seattle at #12. I, for one, am apoplectic about this jackassery. Jones if firmed planted on the other side of the Top 25 draft prospects on my final draft board, early 2nd round value, and I refuse to believe this front office will reach for the next Mike Mamula. Evil rumors, be gone.

I pray that the Seahawks pass on Kuechly so he falls to the Eagles at 15.

I pray that the Seahawks pass on Kuechly so he falls to the Eagles at 15.

Kuechly can go pretty much to any team, starting with #7 Jacksonville, although Miami is pretty much locked into Tannehill at #8 at this point. Much is unknown. But don't think Seattle is the only team that could take him, or even the most likely, before Philadelphia. And, they could still trade down.

I'm 97% sure the Seahawks take a defensive lineman or linebacker, but I can't say for sure which one. I like Ingram and Coples myself.

That's cool.

I was just once again jumping up and down on the "Ruskell is an idiot" pile. He must have run out of money to do a background check on Rodgers.

Yeah, him and twenty some odd other billionaire owners.

Its easy to kick our teams' Gm's on that one, but face it... nobody knew he'd be this good.

Kuechly can go pretty much to any team, starting with #7 Jacksonville, although Miami is pretty much locked into Tannehill at #8 at this point. Much is unknown. But don't think Seattle is the only team that could take him, or even the most likely, before Philadelphia. And, they could still trade down.

I'm 97% sure the Seahawks take a defensive lineman or linebacker, but I can't say for sure which one. I like Ingram and Coples myself.

I can't see the Jags taking Kuechly, not with bigger needs along the DL and at receiver. I think Tannehill is a lock for Miami and Carolina has a much bigger need for a DT than a LB. That leaves BUF, KC or SEA as the most likely landing spots. Zona also has much bigger needs (at OL and receiver especially) and DAL doesn't really need a MLB.

I see Kuechly going no earlier than the 10-12 spots. If he slips past those teams he'll be there at 15. The Eagles more likely trade up to draft Fletcher Cox but I would love to see Kuechly in midnight green alongside Ryans next year. The would instantly turn the worst unit on the team into a major strength.

There's no way I'd consider taking a loafer like Coples up at 12. I wouldn't even want him at 15. If I were Seattle I'd go Kuechly or Cox if he falls to their spot. "Low motor" is not a quality I'd look for in the top half of the first round.

I can't see the Jags taking Kuechly, not with bigger needs along the DL and at receiver. I think Tannehill is a lock for Miami and Carolina has a much bigger need for a DT than a LB. That leaves BUF, KC or SEA as the most likely landing spots. Zona also has much bigger needs (at OL and receiver especially) and DAL doesn't really need a MLB.

I see Kuechly going no earlier than the 10-12 spots. If he slips past those teams he'll be there at 15. The Eagles more likely trade up to draft Fletcher Cox but I would love to see Kuechly in midnight green alongside Ryans next year. The would instantly turn the worst unit on the team into a major strength.

There's no way I'd consider taking a loafer like Coples up at 12. I wouldn't even want him at 15. If I were Seattle I'd go Kuechly or Cox if he falls to their spot. "Low motor" is not a quality I'd look for in the top half of the first round.

Coples is hardly a loafer. Positive or negative news get put out there before a draft, and sometimes it snowballs. Coples is clearly the most talented Defensive End in the draft. His coach got fired last year in the midst of NCAA investigations, the school got probation, and banned from post season play this year. Do you think a young kid might have lost a little focus with all the sh!t going on during his final year of school? Motor, motor, motor. I'm so sick of that brand new buzz word. The word is worthless, as is it's meaning. Ay, Carumba. He's been strongly considered to be going to Carolina anyway.

Cox is a guy that flew up the charts, and I'm not so sure he's deserving of going top 10. People are getting panicky out there. Like Eddie Murphy telling the Dukes to hold on a second, he can feel the panic, hold off on making the phone call until just the right time. After all, pork bellies have a high motor. Motor. Sheesh.

Coples himself said he took plays off last year. He's an enormous talent but that's a huge red flag. With Coples or Kuechly on the board there's no way I'd take him. Cox is either the best or second best DT on the board and he won't get past 15.

Anyway, here's hoping Seattle drafts Coples because I want no part of him.

In the last 48 hours, DE Chandler Jones from Syracuse has rocketed up everybody's draft boards and a number of national pundits have him going to Seattle at #12. I, for one, am apoplectic about this jackassery. Jones if firmed planted on the other side of the Top 25 draft prospects on my final draft board, early 2nd round value, and I refuse to believe this front office will reach for the next Mike Mamula. Evil rumors, be gone.

C. Jones pick at #12 would make me sick. I have a 4th-5th round grade on him. I know that's not where he goes, but in a nut shell - I don't like him. He's no better then a 2nd rounder.

Man - First Tannehill to us... Now Jones now that we got Flynn...

Are they trying to screw us?

I'd rather have all these guy's over Jones: Whiteny, Ingram, Upshaw, Coples, Perry, Branch, MeClellin, J. Crick/DT-DE, Cam Johnson, Adrien Hamilton(Sleeper - I really like Hamilton late)

And possibly a few others/Hybrid players. Then C. Jones fits in some where.

This is my DE rank order.

Draft day. I'll be avoiding the NFC West thread, since I never liked sharing threads in the past, clearly the Seattle fans will monopolize it, and does a San Fran fan really want to have to scroll over my hundreds of drunken, self absorbed, dumbass rants? I'll hang out in here where I can post the utterly obvious and frankly bore myself and y'all to tears, but it's therapeutic or else I'd have strangled the life out of every cat in the neighborhood by now. Screw you, Sarah MacLachlin.

So, I don't expect a trade down past #20. This team in on the rise and the expectation is that there won't be a top 12 pick any time in the near future. What, we are going to move past all these defensive players to add a 4th or 5th round pick? The style of this front office is to never trade up early in the draft, and I see no hint of evidence of it happening this year. When you draft this low, you have to take advantage of the premium players at premium positions. That would be QB, left Offensive Tackle, and pass rushing specialists. We have Okung at LT, there is no QB available worth the pick and we just added Matt Flynn, but there are a number of defensive pass rushers available. Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy. Now, let's narrow down the list.

Gone in the first six picks, or at the very least not available for our selection, consensus wise:

Andrew Luck, QB

Robert Griffin, QB

Matt Kalil, OT

Trent Richardson, RB

Morris Claiborne, CB

Justin Blackmon, WR

Now, other players rated highly, roughly top 20, that I don't expect to be our selection:

Fletcher Cox, DT

Stephon Gilmore, CB

Michael Floyd, WR

David DeCastro, OG

Michael Brockers, DT

Dontari Poe, DT

Mark Barron, SS

Riley Reiff, OT

Ryan Tannehill, QB

Dre Kirkpatrick, CB

Whitney Mercilus, DE

No way we take a CB, unless the value is unbelievable, and it won't be. It's a strength on the team, despite Walter Thurmond's health set back. Sherman, Browner, Trufant. And the team has established a method of bringing in guys in the low rounds and UFA, and them working out, so why spend a high pick? No way we take an offensive lineman, after spending so much draft capital on Carpenter and Moffit last year. A number of guys that played well were brought back this year, Lutui was added, and the line overall could progress further under Tom Cable. Expect a pick or two much later in the draft. Nope, not going WR. The value just isn't there. I'm not crazy about the crop of highly regarded WRs this year, and with the development of Baldwin and Lockette, and the return to health of Rice, M Williams, Butler, and a need to justify the horrible pick of Durham last year, nobody early will be taken. Maybe later in the draft. In on record as thinking Tannehill is a smoke screen to get someone to trade up ahead of #12, as is the leak of this highly dubious Chandler Jones. After adding Alan Branch and Jason Jones the last two years in free agency, I don't know if we spring for a DT this early, the way Carroll and Schneider talk about their plans in a draft. They fool you with how openly they tell you what they are going to do. Last year, they decided they were going to try to help the offensive line, and spent their first two picks doing so, and they told us they were going to do it. For months now, all they say consistently is how much they would like to add more speed rushers from the outside. I don't think they would take Whitney Mercilus unless they trade back because #12 is too early to take him, although I won't howl with rage if they do.

Who I think we will most likely draft, in no particular order:

Luke Kuechly, ILB

Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB

Quinton Coples, DE

Courtney Upshaw, LB

Of course, all these guys can get after the QB, and Ingram and Upshaw offer up the intrigue of being able to play a number of different positions, guys that a defensive coordinator can move all around the football field and create chaos for the offense. Ingram is my preferred choice, the knack he has to dominate, use leverage, quickness, and despite playing through nagging injuries spends most of his time in the offensive backfields. His knock is he isn't as huge/tall as other blue chip prospects. Don't buy into it. Coples is well discussed and his motivation has come into question. His talent makes him a top 5 pick; would you pass on the guy's talent? How many teams were kicking themselves by passing Randy Moss? However, not to be overlooked any longer, like I have been subconsciously, is that we don't have a trio of staring LBs right now. Barrett Rudd was signed cheap, with the expectation that he will rebound this year and play at least at a passable level to fill out the LBs with versatile KJ Wright and OLB Leroy Hill. Rudd is still very banged up with multiple injuries, and won't be practicing with the team for the foreseeable future along with Thurmond and Carpenter. Was Rudd signed as a potential starter like I was thinking, or as insurance in case a top LB wasn't drafted, like Kuechly? Maybe Kuechly started rising on too many draft boards, and them the leaks started about how much the front office loved Tannehill, and Chandler Jones. To force Kuechly to drop a few more spots. I can't anticipate spending high draft capital on a LB, especially after specifically saying that this draft is all about best player available. Maybe Kuechly becomes best player available after all.

Anyway, my four preferred choices are on record. Hope you enjoy the draft. I never do.

Here's a rough sketch of picks I would be happy with for every pick we currently hold in the draft. I'm assuming no trades and thus no 5th rd selection. I'm assigning these picks to the rounds where they are deemed likely to go off the board, or at least in range, according to CBS Sports. For example, Shea McLellin is supposedly a rd1 or rd2 guy. I would not want him with our 1st rd pick, but would be fine with him as a 2nd rounder. And assuming he would last until the 3rd rd or later seems pretty unrealistic.

Rd1: Ingram, Upshaw, Coples

Pass rush? Yes please. I differ here from Phillybear only insofar as I don't want to spend our highest pick on an ILB. We can always add an ILB later in the draft, whereas pass rushing talent is at a premium and thus I don't expect all that much later on.

Rd2: L. David, S. McLellin, M. Kendricks

see any patterns here? These are all LBs. Different varieties, but we have needs everywhere at LB.

Rd3: B. Pierce, B. Quick, G. Childs, R. Turbin,

I want a skill position player here. Either a power runner to give Beastmode some Skittle Time on the sidelines and keep him fresh, or a tall deep threat WR.

Rd4: J. Bequette, S. Kelemente, M. McNutt, Audie Cole

Kind of a mixed bag of guys here. Bequette would add pash rush; Kelemente would add a Cable-style nasty guard who can probably fit a zone-blocking scheme because he moves well enough; McNutt would be a good possession receiver guy to add; and Cole could be either an OLB or ILB for us. Cole might be a bit of a reach in rd4, he's listed as rd5-6 by CBS, but we don't have a rd5 pick.

Rd5: no pick

Rd6: J. Norman, D. Fletcher, J. Bethel

Depth in the secondary. The first two guys could be nickel corners (and allow Trufant to make a graceful exit when Father Time completely overtakes him), and Bethel could give some depth at FS in case of an injury to ET.

Rd7: Kyle Wojta, long snapper, Wisconsin

(just kidding...Ruskell flashback! Ruskell flashback!)

Rd 7: C. Harnish, Darron Thomas, Akiem Hicks

either a project at QB to compete with Portis, or depth for the OL in Hicks

My overall preferred list would be Ingram, David, Pierce, Bequette, Norman and Harnish. This means ignoring WR completely but with only six picks we'll be ignoring something, and the front office has shown ability to find diamonds in the rough at WR (Baldwin).

Here's a rough sketch of picks I would be happy with for every pick we currently hold in the draft. I'm assuming no trades and thus no 5th rd selection. I'm assigning these picks to the rounds where they are deemed likely to go off the board, or at least in range, according to CBS Sports. For example, Shea McLellin is supposedly a rd1 or rd2 guy. I would not want him with our 1st rd pick, but would be fine with him as a 2nd rounder. And assuming he would last until the 3rd rd or later seems pretty unrealistic.

Rd1: Ingram, Upshaw, Coples

Pass rush? Yes please. I differ here from Phillybear only insofar as I don't want to spend our highest pick on an ILB. We can always add an ILB later in the draft, whereas pass rushing talent is at a premium and thus I don't expect all that much later on.

Rd2: L. David, S. McLellin, M. Kendricks

see any patterns here? These are all LBs. Different varieties, but we have needs everywhere at LB.

Rd3: B. Pierce, B. Quick, G. Childs, R. Turbin,

I want a skill position player here. Either a power runner to give Beastmode some Skittle Time on the sidelines and keep him fresh, or a tall deep threat WR.

Rd4: J. Bequette, S. Kelemente, M. McNutt, Audie Cole

Kind of a mixed bag of guys here. Bequette would add pash rush; Kelemente would add a Cable-style nasty guard who can probably fit a zone-blocking scheme because he moves well enough; McNutt would be a good possession receiver guy to add; and Cole could be either an OLB or ILB for us. Cole might be a bit of a reach in rd4, he's listed as rd5-6 by CBS, but we don't have a rd5 pick.

Rd5: no pick

Rd6: J. Norman, D. Fletcher, J. Bethel

Depth in the secondary. The first two guys could be nickel corners (and allow Trufant to make a graceful exit when Father Time completely overtakes him), and Bethel could give some depth at FS in case of an injury to ET.

Rd7: Kyle Wojta, long snapper, Wisconsin

(just kidding...Ruskell flashback! Ruskell flashback!)

Rd 7: C. Harnish, Darron Thomas, Akiem Hicks

either a project at QB to compete with Portis, or depth for the OL in Hicks

My overall preferred list would be Ingram, David, Pierce, Bequette, Norman and Harnish. This means ignoring WR completely but with only six picks we'll be ignoring something, and the front office has shown ability to find diamonds in the rough at WR (Baldwin).

I don't see Upshaw as a solid pass rusher. He's more a clogger like Hightower would be.... Heck, Hightower is probably just as good of a rusher.

I also don't see how Whitney can not make you're list. He's a riser on the boards and the value is as close as Upshaw's would be. If he duplicated his stats his Sr. year he would be a top 5 pick. He'll go early I think. Heck, he might even be gone before us over Coples in a surprise.

I also don't think Shea McLellin is a LB. He played DE pretty much every down. I like him though.

Here's my draft wish list:

1st round - Whitney Mercilus/DE (Option2 - Ingram/Luke)

2nd round - Ruben Randel/WR (WR I think will have huge value here. (A. Jeffrey's, S. Hill, Wright, Givens)/(Miller/Martin - RB option here also)

3rd round - R. Lewis/LB (Lavonte David, N. Bradham, V. Burfict, Z. Brown, Kendricks)

4th round - I. Pead/RB (R. Turbin, V. Ballard, C. Gray)

6th round - Darron Thomas/QB (Kellen Moore, Case Keenum, R. Wilson)

7th round - Tank Carder/LB (N. Goode, A. Cole, B. Wagner, James-Michael Johnson)

This morning, I think it was the NFL network was reporting Dallas was trying very hard to move to #11.

Could the "fake" Seattle leaks be working? :shocking:

If a deal is made with New England, it will have to include future pick(s) in other years. Or swap #12 and #106 (4th round) for New Englands #27 and #31. Hmmmmm.

Edit: Or maybe #12 for NE's #27 and #48 and #62. Might have to toss in the Seattle #106, but I'd rather not.

This morning, I think it was the NFL network was reporting Dallas was trying very hard to move to #11.

Could the "fake" Seattle leaks be working? :shocking:

If a deal is made with New England, it will have to include future pick(s) in other years. Or swap #12 and #106 (4th round) for New Englands #27 and #31. Hmmmmm.

Edit: Or maybe #12 for NE's #27 and #48 and #62. Might have to toss in the Seattle #106, but I'd rather not.

That's a big drop.... I'm not sure I really want to go that far down in the 1st. But if we do, we had better at least get both there first's.

NE always owns people on trades. Better be carefull when dealing with them.

That's a big drop.... I'm not sure I really want to go that far down in the 1st. But if we do, we had better at least get both there first's.

NE always owns people on trades. Better be carefull when dealing with them.

I feel like there's a ton of value between say pick #25 and pick #55. Getting to make three selections in that range instead of two sounds ok to me.