11 replies to this topic

#1 MTSkiBum

MTSkiBum

FF Geek

• Members
  • 13,061 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:28 PM

https://www.bloomber...-thought-it-was

Research published today may help clarify the situation — and it’s not encouraging for wind-power enthusiasts. It suggests that the power available from wind is much more limited than many experts thought, and that deployment on a larger scale could significantly raise temperatures over the Earth’s surface, as turbines alter atmospheric flows. The research highlights a painful but not altogether surprising reality: Even the cleanest renewable technologies come with environmental costs.

Nuclear power is the most sensible long term solution for our energy needs.

Wind farms are ugly, kill wildlife, are expensive, and if this article is true, counter productive.

Steeler's Fan

#2 Bert

Bert

FF Geek

• Members
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:37 PM

Wind farms are ugly, kill wildlife, are expensive, and if this article is true, counter productive.

:thumbsup:  And very expensive and a waste of tax payer dollars.

You know we're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder. Makes you feel good, doesn't it?

#3 Filthy Fernadez

Filthy Fernadez

FF Geek

• Members
  • 22,899 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:53 PM

If wind power isn't what it was billed as, what else are they wrong about?

BBC for the most part is pretty damn good.

#4 Djgb13

Djgb13

FF Geek

• Members
  • 19,289 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:18 PM

I prefer solar energy. I want something like this at my home but by then something better will come out. Ultimately though, I do plan on purchasing something like this

http://smartflowersolar.com

#5 Alias Detective

Alias Detective

FF Geek

• Members
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:24 PM

Tidal is what I want to see more of.

#6 Bert

Bert

FF Geek

• Members
  • 10,068 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:27 PM

I prefer solar energy. I want something like this at my home but by then something better will come out. Ultimately though, I do plan on purchasing something like this

http://smartflowersolar.com

Solar is great on the demand side. It sux commercially.
You know we're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder. Makes you feel good, doesn't it?

#7 MTSkiBum

MTSkiBum

FF Geek

• Members
  • 13,061 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:43 PM

Solar is great on the demand side. It sux commercially.

This.

I think many people, especially in Texas will eventually have solar power roofs to help power our AC's during the day.

Long term I think this will not have a major impact on our energy usage as I expect the demand for electric cars to rise in the US and gasoline powered cars to become more common in developing/3rd world countries once the US and Europe switches to electric.

This is all a wild a$s guess and I certainly could be completely wrong.
Steeler's Fan

#8 Djgb13

Djgb13

FF Geek

• Members
  • 19,289 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:47 PM

This.

I think many people, especially in Texas will eventually have solar power roofs to help power our AC's during the day.

Long term I think this will not have a major impact on our energy usage as I expect the demand for electric cars to rise in the US and gasoline powered cars to become more common in developing/3rd world countries once the US and Europe switches to electric.

Im not all too familiar with the science involved but I do know they are making great strides in harnessing solar energy. As of right now, no its not good for long term. That one solar flower cant power a whole house. But it can power a cabin, cottage, or small house. I suspect 5-10 years when Im ready to actually install a solar powered energy source it should be pretty good. Either way, if I dont go completely off grid with it then itll reduce the energy I use tremendously

#9 wiffleball

wiffleball

FF Geek

• Members
  • 67,829 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:43 AM

Need I remind you that windmills were one of the very first sources of power?

They didn't pop up all over our Prairie for decoration. And for that matter, ask the Dutch. They were much better at it than we were.

The problem is, we got too many windmills and used up all the wind. It's a little bit like overfishing. But with wind.
Users currently on :ignore: BudBro,Flahawker

#10 frank

frank

FF Geek

• Members
  • 16,267 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:57 AM

Everyone on this board should make this their signature.

Another Dumb fvcking post by frank. :wave:

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."

-- Jack Lambert --

OOTMFFOTB

#11 Cloaca du jour

Cloaca du jour

FF Geek

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:30 AM

Omg...this is like the saccharine causes cancer in mice crap. You had to drink 2000 cans a day.

Rofl...turbines can disrupt global wind patterns hahahabbababbabbbahahahahah.

Ban all trees...buildings and mountains or big hills.

You would have to cover 60 percent of all the earths surface to even make a dent lol.

Hahahahahahahahaha

#12 Cloaca du jour

Cloaca du jour

FF Geek

• Members
  • 5,131 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:52 PM

http://content.invis...7717d7679c5.jpg