Sign in to follow this  
RLLD

Gerrymandering

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/republicans-house-gerrymandering_us_5bbeacc0e4b0b27cf47a6d5c

WASHINGTON ― Democrats are increasingly confident they’ll take back the House after the midterm elections. But if the politicians and pundits are wrong, there may be one simple reason why: gerrymandering.

Gerrymandering is nothing new. Drawing politically advantageous district lines has been a staple of American politics for more than 200 years, even before then-Massachusetts Gov. Elbridge Gerry approved a new district for the state Senate in 1812 that resembled a salamander. (We got the word gerrymander by mashing together Gerry’s last name and “salamander.”)

But gerrymandering is getting more sophisticated, as mapmakers get more ambitious with the number of seats they target, as the districts they draw get more ridiculous-looking, and as the technology they use gets better.

Not a fan of this, by any means

While were are looking at practices that manipulate representation, maybe we should also rethink giving any 700K yokels living in the boonies two senators too.

US representation in Washington isn't very representative of the US demographics.

While were are looking at practices that manipulate representation, maybe we should also rethink giving any 700K yokels living in the boonies two senators too.

US representation in Washington isn't very representative of the US demographics.

Civics Lesson. People don't get Senators, States do.

Civics Lesson. People don't get Senators, States do.

We could add that the Senate system was designed to protect people in less populated areas.

Yeah. Let's turn it all over to the states with the most irresponsible breeders. And the useless spawn of illegal aliens.

We could add that the Senate system was designed to protect people in less populated areas.

Understood, but I doubt that FF's envisioned that minority would be over-represented(51 senators represent 44% of the population). And changing populations/workforces are going to make this even worse.

By 2040, two-thirds of Americans will be represented by 30 percent of the Senate

“David Birdsell, dean of the school of public and international affairs at Baruch College, notes that by 2040, about 70% of Americans are expected to live in the 15 largest states,” Seib wrote. “They will have only 30 senators representing them, while the remaining 30% of Americans will have 70 senators representing them.”

Seriously guys, you really think the Dakotas need 4 senators. :lol:

Understood, but I doubt that FF's envisioned that minority would be over-represented(51 senators represent 44% of the population). And changing populations/workforces are going to make this even worse.

I am sure there were a number of things the FF could not have imagined, and I would not suggest the system is without flaw, but i think the system does a good job overall of managing the balance of power. I wish there were mechanisms to control the ongoing radicalization of the political groups.

Americans are represented by their uhhhhh.....................Representatives? Which mirror the population.

Do you think south central LA deserves a congress person? I don't.

Americans are represented by their uhhhhh.....................Representatives? Which mirror the population.

Person who most missed the entire point of this thread TimmySmith

1. Gerrymandering makes it so the population ISN'T properly represented.

2. Each state getting two Senate also does not properly represent the population as a whole either.

You get :first: for being oblivious.

Do you think south central LA deserves a congress person? I don't.

With posts like that, I don't think you deserve a vote.

With posts like that, I don't think you deserve a vote.

I don't say they shouldn't get one, I just think they don't deserve one.

How much representation your state gets in Washington should be tied to what % you contribute to the GDP. Citizens in states that are federally dependent should all have to take mandatory drug tests.

How much representation your state gets in Washington should be tied to what % you contribute to the GDP. Citizens in states that are federally dependent should all have to take mandatory drug tests.

Why are you slicing it up into states? Hiw about anyone, no matter where you live, has to take a drug test if you are federally delendant? After all, California has the most leeches.

Why are you slicing it up into states? Hiw about anyone, no matter where you live, has to take a drug test if you are federally delendant? After all, California has the most leeches.

Well duh. It has almost 40 million people. New York has half as many people and receives 2/3 as much welfare as California (62 and 100 B respectively).
California also has the most billionaires.

Well duh. It has almost 40 million people. New York has half as many people and receives 2/3 as much welfare as California (62 and 100 B respectively).

California also has the most billionaires.

Awesome. So now California can afford to take care of their illegals. Get on it!

Awesome. So now California can afford to take care of their illegals. Get on it!

I love when you change the subject, when confronted with the truth. It's one of the things I love most about you. :wub:

I love when you change the subject, when confronted with the truth. It's one of the things I love most about you. :wub:

Well, there was truth from both sides.

Well, there was truth from both sides.

Thats not really how math works though. But youre a smart cookie, so Im sure you already know that.

And I dont want illegals in CA any more than you do in NY. Send them all back ASAP. :mad:

Thats not really how math works though. But youre a smart cookie, so Im sure you already know that.

And I dont want illegals in CA any more than you do in NY. Send them all back ASAP. :mad:

You're going to move someday. Book it.

2. Each state getting two Senate also does not properly represent the population as a whole either.

Yeah not knowing the point of each side of Congress makes me oblivious. You tried to hijack the thread and got rejected. And you still apparently lack basic understanding of Gerrymandering, or Congress.

I thought this was going to be a thread about jerryskids. :thumbsdown:

So the Democrats are already setting up their excuses when the blue wave doesn't show up, huh?

Sometimes it's the simplest reason: your polices suck, no one likes whiners and complainers and the PC nonsense and no one especially likes the vile and despicable strategy you used for the recent supreme court confirmation hearings and your side is filled with racists.

I'm going with that instead of the whiny, titbaby excuse "GERRYMANDERING!".

Don't you think it's weird that gerrymandering wasn't an issue when your side was winning elections? In fact, your side has some of the worst gerrymandered districts in the USA.

The way things are today, its a pity we dont have an East and West Dakota so they can have eight.

I use to hate it too but wiih the Dems going batsh1t crazy, I can appreciate it more. Come 2022, it wont matter, the House will be a Dem playground for a long while. The House is hugely Gerrymandered now and thats the only reason its close.

I use to hate it too but wiih the Dems going batsh1t crazy, I can appreciate it more. Come 2022, it wont matter, the House will be a Dem playground for a long while. The House is hugely Gerrymandered now and thats the only reason its close.

You think when 2022 rolls around that Honcho starts a new thread about gerrymandering and how outraged he is about it? Well, that's if Trump hasn't drove him absolutely bat-###### crazy by then.

I'm guessing he doesn't and turns a blind eye towards it.

honestly not a partisan issue but why is it not just assigned by county?

for example, here in Socal

San Diego

Orange

Riverside

San Bernardino

Imperial

Los Angeles

seems to make sense and pretty easy to do

Saw a video where this girl was able to jog through either 3 or 5 different districts in about 30 seconds because of how they drew the lines.

Saw a video where this girl was able to jog through either 3 or 5 different districts in about 30 seconds because of how they drew the lines.

You can do that with states too. :dunno:

If you stand in the right place, you can put your two hands and two feet down on the ground in four different states.

https://www.mygrandcanyonpark.com/things-to-do/four-corners-and-beyond