Sign in to follow this  
GreatGray

Mahomes

I dont think Gurley is a special running back. He is in a special situation on a high powered offense, like Gordon. Gurley is a good rb.

Lol. Gurley is the engine that runs that Offense. Let's not get crazy here with comments like that.

I dont think Gurley is a special running back. He is in a special situation on a high powered offense, like Gordon. Gurley is a good rb.

How many special ones are there then that have more than 1 year experience? And who are they? I'm talking getting 4.6+ ypc over two+ years time and more than 20 touches/targets a game?

How many special ones are there then that have more than 1 year experience? And who are they? I'm talking getting 4.6+ ypc over two+ years time and more than 20 touches/targets a game?

Chubb for the Browns might be special. His vision is incredible. Always seems to be good for that 1 breakaway run every game just on talent alone. Its kinda scary stacking the box on 3rd and short against him because he's prone to get past the first line of defense and if there is no secondary to clean up, yikes he's gone.

Mcvay is the engine that runs that offense. Gurley is good but he's not the best like his number make him out to be.

Mcvay is a great coach, gurley is a top 3 runner. Let's just agree and move on.

Gurley had 1100 10 TD 4.8 ypc in 13 games his rookie year under Jeff fisher. Just sayin...

Watched Gurley the past 3 weeks and he's slowing down quite a bit.

So you're aware he's playing through an injury correct? Usually injuries tend to slow down rbs

Why are we talking about gurley in the mahomes thread?

Things tend to get a little sideways in here

you are wrong. At every step along the way there has never been any doubt he is a special running back. At Ga he is talked about in the same breath as the Greek god of football himself Hershel Walker. He has had one bad year when everything conspired against him.

He's special.

Both Ware and Williams have performed just like Hunt would. This doesn't make any sense. Williams with 2 tds two games in a row. Ware had over 100 total yards last week. The Chiefs played a good defense last week. It's laughable that Hunt is the reason the offense isn't humming the Same when the replacement rbs are performing just as well :lol:

Chiefs are not laughing at all. Like I said, offense has regressed ...hunt was a rock

Start buying it

You said KC was going to be in a must win situation this week. And they are not. They already clinched a playoff spot.

Which means....wait for it.....they don't need to win to make the playoffs. It is not a must win.

• Like 1

You said KC was going to be in a must win situation this week. And they are not. They already clinched a playoff spot.

Which means....wait for it.....they don't need to win to make the playoffs. It is not a must win.

Lol

C'mon man give me something here. I said Seattle would lose in San Fransisco and then win vs Kansas City

Someone is going to take him 1.1 in many leagues next year. Wont be me, but it will be like that year everyone took Rogers after he threw the 45 TDs.

Lol

C'mon man give me something here. I said Seattle would lose in San Fransisco and then win vs Kansas City

You win. That was a good call. ☺

Someone is going to take him 1.1 in many leagues next year. Wont be me, but it will be like that year everyone took Rogers after he threw the 45 TDs.

Yeah, but that was Rodger's 4th year as the starter and he was 28 when he did that. Mahomes is going to throw 50 TDs (assuming he throws two on Sunday) in his first year as a starter at age 23. Imagine what he'll do with a full season under his belt. I wouldn't blame anyone for taking him 1.1 next year.

Mahomes in my leagues scoring system(only 4 points per TD pass) he has 98 points more points on the season than Andrew Luck. That is 6.53 points per game more.

Is there anyone who took him in the 5th round or after who regretted it??

I personally have not seen a qb impress me early in their career this much since Dan Marino.

Not sure what your petty argument is about but semantics aside, the Chiefs must play to win as home field advantage is still on the line.

Not sure what your petty argument is about but semantics aside, the Chiefs must play to win as home field advantage is still on the line.

It's not a must win game. "Must wins" are defined as win or go home.

Yeah, but that was Rodger's 4th year as the starter and he was 28 when he did that. Mahomes is going to throw 50 TDs (assuming he throws two on Sunday) in his first year as a starter at age 23. Imagine what he'll do with a full season under his belt. I wouldn't blame anyone for taking him 1.1 next year.

True. And Rodgers did throw 40ish TDs that year, so he wasnt a bust or anything. I just feel like grabbing a QB that early puts you at such a disadvantage at other skill positions, when its finally back to you 23 picks later. I dont have any data on how many people who took Rodgers won their league that year, but Id imagine it was very few.

Why are we talking about gurley in the mahomes thread?

I guess you kind of run out of things to say about a football player after a few hundred posts.

The only flaw in Mahomes game is 9 fumbles. If he just throws 35 TDs / 20 INTs next year and fumbles 15 times, that may become a problem. But that's just looking for something to complain about. Great QB.

The only flaw in Mahomes game is 9 fumbles. If he just throws 35 TDs / 20 INTs next year and fumbles 15 times, that may become a problem. But that's just looking for something to complain about. Great QB.

He also drew the perfect scenario for a young QB. Had probably the best QB in front of him to watch for a year. Has one of the best offensive head coaches in the history of the league. QB teaching friendly. Isn't starting in a whole new offense with a new coach so he learned the offense in year one. Has a great oline, one of the most dynamic WRs in the league, the best TE in the league, and mostly had one of the best RBs in the league but still with a terrific run game.

Most young, early drafted QBs get no such luxuries.

He also drew the perfect scenario for a young QB. Had probably the best QB in front of him to watch for a year. Has one of the best offensive head coaches in the history of the league. QB teaching friendly. Isn't starting in a whole new offense with a new coach so he learned the offense in year one. Has a great oline, one of the most dynamic WRs in the league, the best TE in the league, and mostly had one of the best RBs in the league but still with a terrific run game.

Most young, early drafted QBs get no such luxuries.

If so, he sure coulda used them last night.....

If so, he sure coulda used them last night.....

True. It's hard to beat the Patriots though. They have the best coach in the history of football.

My point was basically that most 1st round QBs end up on teams like the Bills, Jets, Cardinals, etc. I don't think Mahomes is playing in that game if he were on any of those teams this year.

https://sports.yahoo.com/patrick-mahomes-busted-lip-among-telling-priorities-chiefs-must-address-avoid-wasting-qbs-insane-talent-080417987.html

At the halfway mark of Sundays AFC championship game, the Arrowhead Stadium faithful who braved 19-degree weather to watch a Kansas City Chiefs coronation were disappointed, annoyed and concerned and with good reason.

For 30 minutes, they had watched the New England Patriots build a 14-0 lead by doing everything better than the Chiefs. The Pats passed better, ran better, blocked better, tackled better, covered better and even coached better on the way to hogging the ball for 22 minutes and outgaining Kansas Citys vaunted offense 245 yards to 32.

So no, nobody who wanted the Chiefs to win on this cold evening was happy, least of all the players, who spilled into a locker room for a 10-minute therapy session that would soon turn fiery.

We had some spirited moments at halftime, one Chiefs player told Yahoo Sports, while shaking his head.

Especially 23-year-old quarterback Patrick Mahomes, who was marginalized in the first half by Patriots coach Bill Belichick and de facto defensive coordinator Brian Flores. Mahomes had completed only four of eight passes for 65 yards, all while being sacked three times and hit several more as he uncharacteristically overshot a handful of targets.

Mahomes halftime response: Were gonna put up 30 this half, Mahomes promised, several players relayed to Yahoo Sports.

He led them out of the locker room shortly thereafter seriously, he was one of the first players to emerge from the tunnel and actually upheld his end of the bargain in the Chiefs 37-31 overtime loss to the Patriots, one that incidentally revealed three realities about the Chiefs future.

Reality No. 1: Mahomes reaffirmed that he is the truth">Reality No. 1: Mahomes reaffirmed that he is the truth

In a second half littered with outrageous throws, the presumed league MVP threw for 230 yards and three touchdowns as he directed the Chiefs to 31 points.

Despite a 17-7 deficit heading into the fourth quarter, he threw touchdown passes that put Kansas City in front twice! and directed a four-play, 48-yard scoring drive in only 31 seconds that led to the tying field goal that forced overtime.

I think we just manned up nothing different, Mahomes said. They played the same coverages, we did the same things. Our guys just made plays.

But the Chiefs 31st-ranked defense, their Achilles heel all season long, failed to make those leads stand both times against Tom Brady, the bonafide G.O.A.T., and an expertly coached offense that aside from a few valleys ran roughshod over the Chiefs by pairing a varied, power run game with a quick passing attack to rack up 449 yards through four quarters.

So when the Patriots won the toss to start overtime and opted to receive, what came next wasnt a shock. On what turned out to be a AFC-championship clinching scoring drive, the Patriots converted three third-and-10s (all on Brady strikes) before handing the ball to Rex Burkhead three straight times in the red zone, with the last one a 2-yard plunge up the middle icing a win that sent the Patriots to the Super Bowl for the third straight season.

They counted on us in the biggest moment to go win the game, said Patriots center David Andrews, who helped paved the way for a 176-yard rushing performance. You cant ask for a better feeling.

Down the hall, you couldnt imagine a more bitter feeling for the Chiefs, who head into the offseason with a loss that also provided two clear mandates for where they must improve if they want to avoid a similar feeling of disappointment and wanting this time next January.

Theres a lot to hang your hat on the good, the bad and the ugly,

Reality No. 2: Fixing the defense will be a priority

For starters, while some will point to Fords offsides penalty in which he was not provided a customary warning, but nevertheless, ended up negating a game-ending interception late in the fourth quarter as a reason for the loss, doing so only excuses the far bigger problem Sunday: their 31st-ranked run defense, was a train wreck all season.

With a variety of straight-ahead run plays, New England controlled the tempo and clock, keeping Mahomes and Co. off the field as the Patriots won the time of possession battle by a staggering 43-20 advantage.

Run defense is want to, Chiefs linebacker Anthony Hitchens told Yahoo Sports. We started off slow this year, got better and started taking it again. So weve got to work on that. Nothing else you can do but work.

Whats more, the Patriots strong run game prevented the Chiefs pass rush which led the NFL in sacks and pressures and was the only tangible strength of their defense from hunting Brady, as they did not sack him once and hit him a single time.

Improvement in this area plus a defensive backfield that needs more playmakers will likely come through a strong defensive draft (in which the Chiefs have four top-100 picks) and in free agency, where the Chiefs will have a little money to spend even if they can extend Chris Jones and Tyreek Hill.

And yes, the calls for a new defensive coordinator will be strong as well, though no one but Chiefs coach Andy Reid knows if thats in the cards. But theres one other area where the Chiefs will need to show more improvement in.

Reality No. 3: The protection under fire must improve">Reality No. 3: The protection under fire must improve

When it comes to blitz pickup, the Patriots took the Chiefs to school on Sunday, as Mahomes was sacked four times and hit nine times total because the Patriots kept sending the house while doubling Hill, their stud receiver.

They challenged us they came up and played man, and not a lot of teams have this year, Mahomes said. They put people in our face to see how we responded. The first half, we struggled. We couldnt make anything happen.

Seriously: stunts, twists, A gap blitzes, overload blitzes you name it, New England did it.

They blitzed about every down and played man coverage, Reid said. We made a few adjustments at halftime.

After which, the Chiefs put up 31 points. But it was too late.

Thats my responsibility, Reid said. Ill take that.

The offensive linemen didnt let themselves off the hook. Offensive line coach Andy Heck implored his unit to play better at halftime, saying the Chiefs were allowing too much pressure up the middle, but there wasnt enough improvement in the second half (despite the fact they contend they expected those blitzes were coming).

The Chiefs can expect defensive coordinators who will have seven-plus months to dissect Mahomes rookie-year tape to replicate that gameplan.

To counter that, prioritizing blitz pickup in practice and reinforcing the offensive line via the draft and free agency both seem like no-brainers. After all, New England got home so often Sunday that Mahomes sported a busted lip on the Chiefs final drive of the game.

That just shows the kind of day we had, center Mitch Morse said, shaking his head. He took it like a champ.

While the defeat is bitter for sure, many players noted afterward how tight the locker room is, and how much hope Mahomes performance gave them for the future. Not only did he challenge them at halftime after a miserable start and manage to follow through on his promise to score 30, he nearly lifted his team to victory despite being under constant duress.

Weve got a guy we can follow, a guy whos gonna play his butt off for us and we need to do the same for him, left guard Cameron Erving said. Hes something special we came up short, but he gave us something good to look forward to.

It was the type of performance that, provided the right additions are made, offered proof that this could be the start of an extended run, one not unlike the stretches the Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers,

Pittsburgh Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger and yes Patriots and Brady have put together under their elite, homegrown quarterbacks of their own.

We just have to find ways to start better, Mahomes said. Its something Ill look back on for my entire career and use it as something that I can find ways to win these games when Im in them.

I don’t think they win their divison next season.

I dont think they win their divison next season.

I do.

With one of the worst defenses in the history of NFL playoff football that kid kept them in the game. It was basically a coin flip either way at the end.

I do.

Of course you do.

I think they will fall hard from this lost.

Don’t see them getting better on def any time soon.

I think teams will catch up to Mahomes, who I think will have another very good season.

But 30-32 passing tds will be more like it.

Dan Marino threw 48 TDs at age 23. That was his peak. He would only throw 30 TDs three more times in his career.

Tyreek Hill had 3 total targets and 0 carries. One touch. Andy Reid is the absolute worst when it comes to playoff coaching. I'm glad he lost yet again. I don't want his terrible playoff coaching to be rewarded. The most dangerous dude in the NFL with the ball in his hands, and he touches the ball once. That's pathetic

Verdict. I was wrong about him. The most dynamic QB season, I have seen. If the Chiefs had any semblance of a defense at all, the win the SB by 20 points. A season lost.

Disagree about season lost. In this instant gratification world, everyone wants it all right now. It used to be that you built up to a championship, took a hard loss, learned from it, and the next time won it all. I think the chiefs have a good chance of doing that.