Sign in to follow this  
BobSanders_33

To Gronk or Not to Gronk?

How high do you guys rate Gronk at the expense of losing out at a top tier WR or RB?

I'm really torn on how high to draft him knowing that it would weaken other positions. I'm in a league where yearly TEs go undervalued. Sitting at pick 8 I feel that he will likely fall back to me in the 2nd round. At that point the choice of selecting him or Hill/Jones/Johnson and possibly DThomas has my head spinning.

I know several places rate him as a top 5 prospect. I just don't know how to value him knowing that my choices at RB/WR would be greatly diminished come the 3rd and 4th round. There would be a good chance that Graham would fall to the 3rd and Kelce in the 6th. What say you fftoday drafting experts?

I have also has a hard time drafting a te in the first two rounds . So I won't do it .

I'll go after Witten/Hill/Bennett and maybe Thomas in the middle of the draft.

2nd round is decent value. I took Graham in rnd 2 last year and got burned. I still say get the best rb/wr combo you can get.

I don't ever see great value at qb or te,in,the first or second rounds . Good yes great no

I've been seeing Gronk go in the first and second round. Never makes it to the 3rd

It helps to think of Gronk as a top 10 WR, especially if you go RB in the first round. If you look at him that way and commit to going to using three picks at WR over the first 7-8 rounds, there is an advantage to be gained. There are ton of WR3 types in leagues in which you need to start three of them, so it is a strategy I would strongly consider in those formats. I would not take Gronk in the first round and I certainly would not go WR-TE with my first two picks, but maybe that is just a comfort thing with me.

• Like 1

2nd round is decent value. I took Graham in rnd 2 last year and got burned. I still say get the best rb/wr combo you can get.

2nd round is better than decent value. Just because you got burned by graham, it doesnt mean you will get burned again. People got burned by top tier rbs in the first round. It doesnt mean you shouldnt draft a rb in the first this year. Gronk has gone at 1.01 and 1.05 my last two mfl drafts. He is a monster in ppr formats with a massive advantage over other TEs if he plays up to his potential this year.

Agree the guy puts up great numbers , but not for me in the first two rounds . Round three yeah I would buy .

It helps to think of Gronk as a top 10 WR, especially if you go RB in the first round. If you look at him that way and commit to going to using three picks at WR over the first 7-8 rounds, there is an advantage to be gained. There are ton of WR3 types in leagues in which you need to start three of them, so it is a strategy I would strongly consider in those formats. I would not take Gronk in the first round and I certainly would not go WR-TE with my first two picks, but maybe that is just a comfort thing with me.

I don't see how thinking of him as a WR helps. He's in the TE position so you have to think of him as that regardless of him putting up similar stats. Drafting him in the 1st or 2nd round takes up a RB or WR spot on your roster. I myself will be bypassing Gronk this year as I am not a believer in the early round TE or QB.

I don't see how thinking of him as a WR helps. He's in the TE position so you have to think of him as that regardless of him putting up similar stats. Drafting him in the 1st or 2nd round takes up a RB or WR spot on your roster. I myself will be bypassing Gronk this year as I am not a believer in the early round TE or QB.

I get why they do. Getting high end wr production at the TE position, which becomes even more valuable when you can draft wrs who also put up that top end production.

It's near IMPOSSIBLE to find or replace a Gronk on the stat sheet but WR could be an easy pickup and plug into the starting lineup.

I say that b/c people tend to get a bit preoccupied with the notion that TEs aren't supposed to go that high. Generally speaking, that is good advice. However, given the fact there are darn near 50 WRs that warrant consideration as fantasy starters - granted, there are only about 5-8 elite options - I think it helps to consider him as a top-10 WR because he scores like one. Doing so means you've got your lead WR/TE role filled and coming back around with a potential 100-catch player like Cooks or AJ OR potential 10-score WR like Matthews should give you a pretty decent advantage over the guy that goes WR-WR and ends up with a Delanie Walker later in the draft.

Having said that, I'm still weighing how willing I am to go that route if Gronk falls to me in the second round of my big-money drafts. I'm pretty sure I'd rather have him than DeMarco Murray or LeSean McCoy at that spot, I can say that much.

Having said that, I'm still weighing how willing I am to go that route if Gronk falls to me in the second round of my big-money drafts. I'm pretty sure I'd rather have him than DeMarco Murray or LeSean McCoy at that spot, I can say that much.

Same boat here.

1,100 yards and 12 TD last season in 15 games.

Rounds. Rounds. Rounds. Pshh. In an auction league, how much are people willing to spend on Gronk? $200 cap space.

I'll tell you in about a month following my experts' auction league :lol:

I'd be willing to bet he goes for at least $35, which is probably about the amount I would go up to.

Rounds. Rounds. Rounds. Pshh. In an auction league, how much are people willing to spend on Gronk? $200 cap space.

Someone is going to want to pay too much.

I could see Gronk going around $40 in auctions. There are going to be people that will pay anything to get him.

I'm assuming that most against taking Gronk early are not believers of VBD (Value Based Drafting), because Gronk will show up as not only a 1st rounder, but most likely #1 overall. Getting Gronk in the 2nd round is an absolute steal, but people will draft the way they are comfortable....regardless of the numbers.

I have no problem taking Gronk early. I did it in the late 2nd last year. My feeling is that I'm confident in my ability to find a middle round RB or WR that will make up for not selecting one early.....I like my chances of doing that much more than finding a mid round TE that is comparable to Gronk(there arent any) Even if I miss in the draft, every year there are always RB/WR that are available on the wavier wire that can make up that difference (Forsett, ODB). There is rarely a difference making TE that is found on the wavier (a few years ago Julius Thomas comes to mind).

I don't know what my draft pick is yet, but after the main RB's are gone (Peterson, Lacy, Bell, Charles, Lynch)....Gronk comes into play with the other top WR's (Dez, Brown, Beckham, Thomas)

Third round for me and that's the way it is for me .

I MIGHT take him in the second round if a lot of the good receivers and RBs are gone. However if he is still available in the 3rd round I will take him

I'm assuming that most against taking Gronk early are not believers of VBD (Value Based Drafting), because Gronk will show up as not only a 1st rounder, but most likely #1 overall. Getting Gronk in the 2nd round is an absolute steal, but people will draft the way they are comfortable....regardless of the numbers.

Well said. There are those people that believe Julio Jones is worth the 1.1 this year as well. Gronk SHOULD be a first-rounder based on VBD, but my hesitation with him in the first as it is with any receiver (typically leaves you with second-tier talent at the other positions). Now, if I'm convinced I can get a low-end RB1 with my second- or third-round pick (CJ Spiller in PPR leagues this year, for example), then I am much more in favor of Gronk in the first.

I have no problem taking Gronk early. I did it in the late 2nd last year. My feeling is that I'm confident in my ability to find a middle round RB or WR that will make up for not selecting one early.....I like my chances of doing that much more than finding a mid round TE that is comparable to Gronk(there arent any) Even if I miss in the draft, every year there are always RB/WR that are available on the wavier wire that can make up that difference (Forsett, ODB). There is rarely a difference making TE that is found on the wavier (a few years ago Julius Thomas comes to mind).

I don't know what my draft pick is yet, but after the main RB's are gone (Peterson, Lacy, Bell, Charles, Lynch)....Gronk comes into play with the other top WR's (Dez, Brown, Beckham, Thomas)

The part I bolded is especially true and probably the best case for taking Gronk in Round 1 or 2. You aren't going to find that kind of production on the waiver wire. I am also confident in my ability to find a middle-round RB (or one on the waiver wire during the course of the year), but have found it particularly difficult to find two studs at one position doing that. That's why I will continue to say that the elite RBs are worth more than any other player and why they should be the first 5-8 picks of every draft. Just like you said, Gronk belongs in the consideration once the top 4-5 WRs are also off the board.

Well said. There are those people that believe Julio Jones is worth the 1.1 this year as well. Gronk SHOULD be a first-rounder based on VBD, but my hesitation with him in the first as it is with any receiver (typically leaves you with second-tier talent at the other positions). Now, if I'm convinced I can get a low-end RB1 with my second- or third-round pick (CJ Spiller in PPR leagues this year, for example), then I am much more in favor of Gronk in the first.

The part I bolded is especially true and probably the best case for taking Gronk in Round 1 or 2. You aren't going to find that kind of production on the waiver wire. I am also confident in my ability to find a middle-round RB (or one on the waiver wire during the course of the year), but have found it particularly difficult to find two studs at one position doing that. That's why I will continue to say that the elite RBs are worth more than any other player and why they should be the first 5-8 picks of every draft. Just like you said, Gronk belongs in the consideration once the top 4-5 WRs are also off the board.

I agree. In my opinion RB studs should be the first ones picked. That isn't always the case but that means I can snag one. If not then like you said Gronk should be right along with the top receivers. You just don't get the production out of the other TEs like you do Gronk

Yeah, the Gronk-ceiling is something that'll be very hard for most players to reach. Your 1000 yard/10 TD TE seasons for the past five years:

2014: Gronk

2013: Graham (Gronk on pace but only played 7 games)

2012: None (Gronk on pace but only played 11 games)

2011: Gronk, Graham

2010: None

He's typically good for 2-4 FP/game more than even the other high-end TE1s each season, none of whom outside Graham and Greg Olsen have had his consistency. I still have a hard time taking him early because of the scarcity of elite-opportunity RBs, but the numbers make a good argument.

No question the numbers back up everyone's feeling on this topic , but I just can't pull the trigger on a te on the first two rounds can't lol.

If he's there at 1.10 I think I'm taking him. I'm not super confident about the pick, but I think it's the right one.

Targeting Julio in the 2nd.

I wouldn't take him over these guys for sure. After that I don't think it's unreasonable in my opinion. Not my style but not unreasonable.

Charles

Bell

Lacy

Peterson

Lynch

Foster

Forte

Brown

I wouldn't take him over these guys for sure. After that I don't think it's unreasonable in my opinion. Not my style but not unreasonable.

Charles

Bell

Lacy

Peterson

Lynch

Foster

Forte

Brown

If you are picking towards the end like I am then those guys are gonna be gone. So I'm having to look elsewhere. Toying with taking gronk in the 2nd with the swing around but not sure yet

If he's there at 1.10 I think I'm taking him. I'm not super confident about the pick, but I think it's the right one.

Targeting Julio in the 2nd.

So your first two picks will be a te and a wr . So no rb .

I'm in picking towards the end of the round and all the good rbs are taken up I might snag him. Might do some mocks to see what my team would look like

I'm in picking towards the end of the round and all the good rbs are taken up I might snag him. Might do some mocks to see what my team would look like

After going WR WR in my last MFL draft, the RBs left were Ellington, Hyde, Ingram, L Murray, Spiller, Morris, Bernard, Jstew. As long as you are comfortable with 2 of them you are alright.

No, in my league Gronk and Julio can both be used as RBs.

That's what I would do. The smart thing to do is take a top 5 WR if available instead of a RB that may be out of the top 10, depending on who everyone else picked.

Now thats a super flex, the way ffball was meant to be played.

Can you use a qb for your kicker ?

After going WR WR in my last MFL draft, the RBs left were Ellington, Hyde, Ingram, L Murray, Spiller, Morris, Bernard, Jstew. As long as you are comfortable with 2 of them you are alright.

I like Hyde, Morris, bernard. I could live with that group. Morris is an RB1 in disguise.