Sign in to follow this  
chrisfab

Is this ethical? Douchebaggery?

I clinched a playoff spot last week. No matter what happens, I am either 2nd or 3rd in my division, which means i don't get a first round bye.

However, the last playoff spot is going to come down to week 13, and I have the power to decide it.

If I win my game week 13, I will play a VASTLY superior team in the playoffs. He has players like Bush, Romo, and Witten, who's injuries cost him some games earlier in the season.

If I throw the game, I will play against the same guy I play in week 13, who has a much crappier team than the other, but has won a handful of games by less than 3 or 4 points..

This is a big money league.

I am not required to put my best players in each week, only required to enter a starting line up.

It is going to be blatently obvious if I put my bench players in....but it is all about the championship. Man that guy is going to be pissed!

Thoughts?

It's been my experience that if you start jackin with stuff like that, it comes back to bite you in the azz.

1. pisses people off

2. The team you are tryin to play will probaly have a season high game

You pretty much owe it to set the standard of the league and play your best game.

hth

:thumbsdown:

here are the 2 teams for comparison sake

better team i think

ROMO

FORTE/T JONES

WAYNE/BOWE

WITTEN

BEARS

crappier team

WARNER

ADP/CHRIS JOHNSON

EDWARDS/EVANS

WINSLOW

PHILLY

here are the 2 teams for comparison sake

better team i think

ROMO

FORTE/T JONES

WAYNE/BOWE

WITTEN

BEARS

crappier team

WARNER

ADP/CHRIS JOHNSON

EDWARDS/EVANS

WINSLOW

PHILLY

Don't think anyone could convince me either team is superior.

Don't think anyone could convince me either team is superior.

Hmm, I will try

Combined positional rankings in our league for the Crappy team: 80

Combined positional rankings in our league for the Superior team: 55

that is with both ROMO and WITTEN having injuries, and no injuries to the crappy team.

If you take a dive I predict and the fantasy gods have allready told me ..they will lay waste to your team...so Id quit listening to that guy with the horns on

Hmm, I will try

that is with both ROMO and WITTEN having injuries, and no injuries to the crappy team.

Assuming your league doesn't allow you to rollover points like a cellular plan, I stand by my original comment. I have a feeling that if you try to take a dive you'll end up tying your own noose. Either way I couldn't imagine anyone accusing you of any malfeasance. It is that close IMHO.

I clinched a playoff spot last week. No matter what happens, I am either 2nd or 3rd in my division, which means i don't get a first round bye.

However, the last playoff spot is going to come down to week 13, and I have the power to decide it.

If I win my game week 13, I will play a VASTLY superior team in the playoffs. He has players like Bush, Romo, and Witten, who's injuries cost him some games earlier in the season.

If I throw the game, I will play against the same guy I play in week 13, who has a much crappier team than the other, but has won a handful of games by less than 3 or 4 points..

This is a big money league.

I am not required to put my best players in each week, only required to enter a starting line up.

It is going to be blatently obvious if I put my bench players in....but it is all about the championship. Man that guy is going to be pissed!

Thoughts?

Let him get pissed. You do what is best for your team and screw everyone else. Just ignore him if he whines. Do not engage in discussion because it makes you look weak. You are not obligated to provide a reason for not playing the best lineup, and the other owner will keep trying to convince you to not hurt his team. It is a no win discussion so just ignore him. You will never be able to convince him that his team deserves to be hurt. Just set the line up and move one. It is you choice alone. I mentioned ignoring the losing owner because I made the mistake of engaging in conversation one time I did this trick. It ended up turning into a big profanity laced attack on the league message board. It is just impossible to convince someone that they deserve to lose in order to benefit your team, so don't even try. Worst case is that he posts once on the message board and then gets mad and stops.

WK 14 Matchups

---------------------

ROMO @ PIT

FORTE vs JAX

T JONES @SF

WAYNE vs CIN

BOWE @ DEN

WITTEN @ PIT

BEARS vs JAX

crappier team

WARNER vs StL

ADP @ DET

CHRIS JOHNSON vs CLE

EDWARDS @ TEN

EVANS vs MIA

WINSLOW @ TEN

PHILLY @ NYG

----

I would probably rather play the first team as the "crappier" team may be able to beat you just with Warner, ADP, & Chris Johnson. Warner & ADP will have season's bests games vs the Rams & Lions.

I think PIT will handle the Cowboys while the Bears offense was awful last week and the NYJ seem to always play to the level of their competition.

I also agree with the others who posted that trying to get too cute usually ends up screwing you over in the end. Play to win and be careful what matchups you wish for because those are the ones that will kill you in the end.

WK 14 Matchups

---------------------

ROMO @ PIT

FORTE vs JAX

T JONES @SF

WAYNE vs CIN

BOWE @ DEN

WITTEN @ PIT

BEARS vs JAX

crappier team

WARNER vs StL

ADP @ DET

CHRIS JOHNSON vs CLE

EDWARDS @ TEN

EVANS vs MIA

WINSLOW @ TEN

PHILLY @ NYG

----

I would probably rather play the first team as the "crappier" team may be able to beat you just with Warner, ADP, & Chris Johnson. Warner & ADP will have season's bests games vs the Rams & Lions.

I think PIT will handle the Cowboys while the Bears offense was awful last week and the NYJ seem to always play to the level of their competition.

I also agree with the others who posted that trying to get too cute usually ends up screwing you over in the end. Play to win and be careful what matchups you wish for because those are the ones that will kill you in the end.

Warner, ADP and Chris Johnson could easily get 60-90 combined points that week. I would try to avoid team 2.

lol...youshould try and manuver to play the crappier team...he clearly has a team that is worse in every way.

LOL, we both have Gonzo and Barber.

Looking out for yourself, I see?

well the FF gods have many ways to lay waste to your team without touching mine..like just having the guy you think you want to play have a career day when you play him the second time....Its kinda like santa clause......he sees you when your drafting ...he knows when you want to trade ....he knows if you over coach or not ....so be cool for goodness sake

I'm still trying to figure out why this guys labeling the 2nd team as the "crappier" team :bandana:

seriously....

WK 14 Matchups

---------------------

ROMO @ PIT

FORTE vs JAX

T JONES @SF

WAYNE vs CIN

BOWE @ DEN

WITTEN @ PIT

BEARS vs JAX

crappier team

WARNER vs StL

ADP @ DET

CHRIS JOHNSON vs CLE

EDWARDS @ TEN

EVANS vs MIA

WINSLOW @ TEN

PHILLY @ NYG

----

Great post there. Exactly what I was thinking when I compared those two teams. Warner, ADP, Chris J. alone would make me want to avoid that team like the plague that week.

Playing the #2 team this week, the OP shouldn't count on beating him to begin with. And as others have pointed out, you throw a match or do any other douchey move and you can count on FF gods to smite you quite soundly.

Example: Last year my opponent in the championship needed a RB and I had grabbed who I thought had great matchups leaving him only one option; Dominic Rhodes (Oak) vs San Deigo. Keep in mind that San Deigo should have been a brutal matchup but he started Rhodes anyway and Rhodes went 122 yds/1 TD 6 recs/47 yds with 1 fumble for a net of 27 points. Of course, if he started any of the other RBs I scooped up, I win the championship. Never do that again.

Thoughts?

I'll be laughing if you purposely throw the game only to get beat in the first round of the playoffs by the team you think is easier. :overhead:

As far as not playing your best line-up goes though, I don't think I'd do it, but if you want be "that guy" then go ahead. It probably wouldn't go over that well with your league mates though. Who knows though - there may be others in your league that would do the same thing.

As far as not playing your best line-up goes though, I don't think I'd do it, but if you want be "that guy" then go ahead. It probably wouldn't go over that well with your league mates though. Who knows though - there may be others in your league that would do the same thing.

This also opens up Pandora's Box for the rest of this seaon and beyond. Let's say that next year you are duking it out to make the Playoffs only to have another owner "lay down" at the end of the year against a team causing your team to miss the post season. What comes around goes around. It's your call though.

You should always win or lose with your best possible lineup.

If your team is good enough to be in the playoffs than go win the league by doing the right thing.

I know the final objective is to win the F.Bowl, but I wouldn't like knowing that I won the league by throwing a game.

It just wouldn't feel the same.

Good Luck!

I'm still trying to figure out why this guys labeling the 2nd team as the "crappier" team :thumbsup:

I AGREE WITH :doublethumbsup:

you need to win and avoid team #2 :mad:

seriously....

Here is my team for more info

MCNABB

GORE

BARBER

FITZ

MOORE/BERRIAN

GONZO

JETS/JAGS

What difference does it make? I'd say you're probably going to lose to either team anyway.... :doublethumbsup:

Yeah, it looks like both teams can beat you. Either way it is random as to who wins the games. Either team could beat you or lose. You can't know what will happen, but I think team 2 is the biggest threat. Warner ADP and CJ could get 60-90 fantasy points that week and kill you. I do give you points for screwing another owner. Funny stuff!

Here is my team for more info

MCNABB

GORE

BARBER

FITZ

MOORE/BERRIAN

GONZO

JETS/JAGS

You can't take McNabb to the playoffs; he'll throw up on your team and end it with a tie.

If you take a dive I predict and the fantasy gods have allready told me ..they will lay waste to your team...so Id quit listening to that guy with the horns on

Exactly!!

I wouldn't do it. I think it's okay to do. Strange things happen in fantasy football from time to time... like losing to teams who you THINK you are "vastly superior" to.

I play it full throttle till the end of the year. I don't give a sh!t who that means I match up against.

WK 14 Matchups

---------------------

ROMO @ PIT

FORTE vs JAX

T JONES @SF

WAYNE vs CIN

BOWE @ DEN

WITTEN @ PIT

BEARS vs JAX

crappier team

WARNER vs StL

ADP @ DET

CHRIS JOHNSON vs CLE

EDWARDS @ TEN

EVANS vs MIA

WINSLOW @ TEN

PHILLY @ NYG

----

and I think your crappier team with the gravy week 14 matchup is more dangerous to you.

You can argue talent all you want, but I dont think Romo vs PIT is bad for you. But Warner (who has been fantasy gold this year) is up against St Louis. This is a very dangerous matchup.

Ditto for ADP vs Detroit.

Those two matchups could sink you by themselves if they both have a great game.

Just something to think about.