Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

Ray Rice is a BUST!

If I had to guess I'd say...

Rice: 1300 total yards 6 TD's

McGahee: 1100 total yards 5 TD's

McClain: 300 total yards 7 TD's

To me McGahee is the best value of the three at where he's being drafted. But either Rice or McGahee could break out as the main guy, and I'm not 100% sure it's gonna be Rice.

I'm not saying he should be starting. Just that he should get a lot of action. And Mcclain will probably get a decent amount too. I'm just not sure if there's enough to go around.

With 500+ carries for the Ravens, clearly there is enough to go around. And MCCLAIN IS THE FULLBACK. Unless he's the next Mike Alstott, he won't be getting more than 50-100 carries. That leaves 400 split between Rice and McGahee, with Rice being the starter and the more talented, fresher RB. You do the math. Oh and by the way the Ravens have a great OLine, especially run blocking.

I'm expecting Rice to get 230 carries, 1,050 yards w/ 6-7 TDs with 50+ catches for 300+ yards and another few scores. If he doesn't achieve those, so be it, but even if he hits 75-85% of those numbers, that justifies a 4th-5th round selection. And I don't even see my projections as his ceiling. He could become the next Chris Johnson, Slaton, Forte, MJD .

Maybe the guy is biased, but I'm gonna trust someone who's got some inside info and can see what's going on behind the scenes.

:shocking:

He had similar praise for Todd Heap last year.

McGahee is better than Ray Rice and will show it in my opinion. And I've never been a fan of McGahee.

With 500+ carries for the Ravens, clearly there is enough to go around. And MCCLAIN IS THE FULLBACK. Unless he's the next Mike Alstott, he won't be getting more than 50-100 carries. That leaves 400 split between Rice and McGahee, with Rice being the starter and the more talented, fresher RB. You do the math. Oh and by the way the Ravens have a great OLine, especially run blocking.

I'm expecting Rice to get 230 carries, 1,050 yards w/ 6-7 TDs with 50+ catches for 300+ yards and another few scores. If he doesn't achieve those, so be it, but even if he hits 75-85% of those numbers, that justifies a 4th-5th round selection. And I don't even see my projections as his ceiling. He could become the next Chris Johnson, Slaton, Forte, MJD .

Fullback or not, McClain did have 900 yards and 10 TD's last year. Are they really gonna say "Well, he's the fullback now, guess he can't run the ball at all"? Yes, he will almost definitely be less involved than he was last year. But he will still be involved.

But I think everyone is underestimating McGahee. No he's not really what he used to be, but you're saying he's only going to get 170 carries? He had exactly 170 last year while playing in only 13 games. I really think McGahee will have a better year (at least yardage-wise) than he did last year. People are dreaming if they think McGahee will only have 400 yards (barring major injury).

Fullback or not, McClain did have 900 yards and 10 TD's last year. Are they really gonna say "Well, he's the fullback now, guess he can't run the ball at all"? Yes, he will almost definitely be less involved than he was last year. But he will still be involved.

But I think everyone is underestimating McGahee. No he's not really what he used to be, but you're saying he's only going to get 170 carries? He had exactly 170 last year while playing in only 13 games. I really think McGahee will have a better year (at least yardage-wise) than he did last year. People are dreaming if they think McGahee will only have 400 yards (barring major injury).

All you've gotta do is watch McGahee take 5 carries before you realize he's hesitant and certainly a step slower than he used to be coming into this league. I agree 400 yards is a bit low if he stays healthy. You argue he's in the best shape of his life, but that doesn't necessary equate to him staying healthy. And last year was last year, when Rice was still a rookie. McClain and McGahee were running behind Lorenzo Neal, so with McClain at FB now, he will be blocking on 90% of the run plays. Id be shocked if he lined up as the RB for more than a handful of short yardage plays throughout the year.

McGahee probably has a decent amount in his tank, but he will be gone next year with his $6.5 million salary. Rice is clearly younger, more fresh, and at this point in their respective careers...more talented. Sure Rice won't be a workhorse, he won't have 300+ carries, but how can you really think at this point that McGahee will get more carries? Ray Rice is the RB of the future for the Ravens, and most likely the RB of now too.

i may be wrong but wasnt the reason McClain started to get carries in the first place because McGahee was hurt than Rice got hurt :dunno: So one might think that McClain will stick to his fullback duties with some goal line action???

McGahee probably has a decent amount in his tank, but he will be gone next year with his $6.5 million salary. Rice is clearly younger, more fresh, and at this point in their respective careers...more talented. Sure Rice won't be a workhorse, he won't have 300+ carries, but how can you really think at this point that McGahee will get more carries? Ray Rice is the RB of the future for the Ravens, and most likely the RB of now too.

Not saying McGahee will get more carries, I think it will be about even, with Rice getting a little more. So yeah, I do think Rice will have the better season than McGahee, but I was just saying that McGahee could be the better value in FF because you can get him much later. (Although yes, you do run the risk of him doing absolutely nothing.)

i may be wrong but wasnt the reason McClain started to get carries in the first place because McGahee was hurt than Rice got hurt :dunno: So one might think that McClain will stick to his fullback duties with some goal line action???

By "involved," I mostly meant goal line carries. So considering Rice did not have a single TD last year, it is a bit concerning that 2 other guys combined for 17 TD's last year.

Not saying McGahee will get more carries, I think it will be about even, with Rice getting a little more. So yeah, I do think Rice will have the better season than McGahee, but I was just saying that McGahee could be the better value in FF because you can get him much later. (Although yes, you do run the risk of him doing absolutely nothing.)

By "involved," I mostly meant goal line carries. So considering Rice did not have a single TD last year, it is a bit concerning that 2 other guys combined for 17 TD's last year.

well no where to go but UP :rolleyes: Rice will dominate tomorrow :dunno:

again in PPR ray might get solid #2 or #3 RB numbers -- in non PPR owners will be left wanting. He just isn't nearly as good as hype machine is making out.

This kind of talk reminds me of a certain RB (with the initials S.S.)out of Houston last year. I have a feelin' Rice will be that guy this year.

Starting Rice over Ronnie Brown today. It's a PPR league...so i'm going to roll with Rice and Slaton both playing at home.

:headbanger:

Tim

again in PPR ray might get solid #2 or #3 RB numbers -- in non PPR owners will be left wanting. He just isn't nearly as good as hype machine is making out.

It is obvious that you have not read the "I'm starting Ray Rice over _________________" thread. He is the next Walter Payton, Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk and young LT2 all rolled into one.

Most are predicting 400 total yards and 5 TDs for him today. You need to get on board.

This kind of talk reminds me of a certain RB (with the initials S.S.)out of Houston last year. I have a feelin' Rice will be that guy this year.

S. Slaton was the RBBC.

Ray Rice is in a RBBC.

THese comparisons lack reason.

No TDs today - that's 168 touches as a pro without smelling paydirt.

Good call here!

:overhead:

Left him on the bench today, but he's gonna make a nice bye week filler. Full blown committee for sure (think it was 21-14-9 today for the three guys?), but the dude has serious talent.

Rice is a bust compared to what he was hyped to be. McGahee was and is the better value - He got 2 scores todsay and McCalin 1 other - NONE for Ray Ray. Rice had 100 yards against a terrible d and only 4 receptions for a guy that was supposed to be a great ppr guy.. MCGahee got 4. Total RBBC nightmare here. McGahee is the better back and will be getting the lions share sooner than later. Rice will be relegated to 3rd down COP duties by mid season.

Rice is a bust compared to what he was hyped to be. McGahee was and is the better value - He got 2 scores todsay and McCalin 1 other - NONE for Ray Ray. Rice had 100 yards against a terrible d and only 4 receptions for a guy that was supposed to be a great ppr guy.. MCGahee got 4. Total RBBC nightmare here. McGahee is the better back and will be getting the lions share sooner than later. Rice will be relegated to 3rd down COP duties by mid season.

awesome analysis :wall:

awesome analysis :wall:

Rice owner I take it ... :console: Must of been frustrating seeing all those TD's go to other backs

120 total yards..

4.06 ADP

This is such a stupid fkn thread..

:wall:

S. Slaton was the RBBC.

Ray Rice is in a RBBC.

THese comparisons lack reason.

Umm, Slaton started out in RBBC in Houston and eventually became main guy...as the poster mentions he says Rice 'will be', as in the future, that guy.

Your post lacks research and posts in general often come often as talking down to others and smarta$$ery.

So Rice gets almost twice as many carries and averages more per carry yet McGahee is the better back. Okay.

Rice wont get a huge number of TDs but he may double Willis in yardage and he will get a few here and there. In TD heavy leagues he may not be a guy you want but in my league scoring he will be a quality RB2.

Keep calling him a bust if it makes you feel better. But its not reality.

You're the same Moz who I remember saying last year that Chris Johnson would be worthless unless Lendale sucked or got hurt. Nice call there. Im thinking you'll have similar accuracy with this one.

Rice owner I take it ... :console: Must of been frustrating seeing all those TD's go to other backs

read my other posts. they are balanced and give McGahee a ton of credit. you are obviously the one railing for McGahee b/c you have him, like Miami guys or whatever.

None of us give a rat's butt about your predictions. Anybody who saw the game knows all the guys looked good today and you saying that Rice, in particular, didnt look good is just laughable. It's a silly, clownish statement. Give the man the credit he is due and then make a real case of why McGahee would emerge and I am still likely to disagree with you...but at least we might respect you for the real thought.

PS Rice had 2 receptions, not 4

Moz, come on man.

I know you know your FF, but due respect, you sound like you're just standing by your earlier statements that 'you see nothing from Rice'.

1st off, it's not all about FF...but it can come back to that.

Meaning, one of Mcaghee's td's was a broken pass play, it's not like they called his name on that one. And if carries continue as they have been, that's how it will come back to FF, b/c as Verp states, Rice will end up with signifcant amount of yds to cancel out any Mchagee scores.

And yes, mcaghee got late td, but in 4th quarter with game out of reach...I honestly don't know, but be objective, you think it would have been mcaghee and not rice if game was closer?

So Mcaghee scored on broken play and possibly during garbage time.

Honestly not a Rice owner, but I've watched some of him since the hype on him started and he's no pro-bowler, but he's got some game.

I'll concede that he needs to do better at gl, but he did get touches there in thick of game.

Since when does leading by 7 = garbage time?

LOL, okay my bad...I take back the garbage time.

I'll stick with the broken play and rest of my comments.

Moz, come on man.

I know you know your FF, but due respect, you sound like you're just standing by your earlier statements that 'you see nothing from Rice'.

1st off, it's not all about FF...but it can come back to that.

Meaning, one of Mcaghee's td's was a broken pass play, it's not like they called his name on that one. And if carries continue as they have been, that's how it will come back to FF, b/c as Verp states, Rice will end up with signifcant amount of yds to cancel out any Mchagee scores.

And yes, mcaghee got late td, but in 4th quarter with game out of reach...I honestly don't know, but be objective, you think it would have been mcaghee and not rice if game was closer?

So Mcaghee scored on broken play and possibly during garbage time.

Honestly not a Rice owner, but I've watched some of him since the hype on him started and he's no pro-bowler, but he's got some game.

I'll concede that he needs to do better at gl, but he did get touches there in thick of game.

Yeah he got touches and this will be one of his better games -- scoring all of 13 points in PPR. He won't get any GL carries at all and looks like McGahee will take a check of the receptions as well.

Maybe you forget McGahee was a damn good back until his injuries and he looked good today.

Sorry but Rice is nothing more than #3 RB. Not the #2 with upside folks think. thats my opinion.

Since when does leading by 7 = garbage time?

While not quite garbage time.........they did get the ball on downs at the KC 9 with 1:34 left. They just ran it 4 downs. He scored with 30 seconds left on 4th down at the 1. If they were worried about scoring they would have kicked a FG.

He (Rice) won't get any GL carries

Blatantly incorrect. Rice had goalline carries today.

Maybe you forget McGahee was a damn good back until his injuries and he looked good today.

McGahee is still is good in my opinion and showed that today.

Sorry but Rice is nothing more than #3 RB. Not the #2 with upside folks think. thats my opinion.

You need to have some whacky projections to push him down to #30 on the RB boards. Of course you may be right! The probability of him losing his job, getting banged up, etc. exists as it does for anyone...but the fact that Rice has been groomed to get 20+ touches a game since the first spring practice and that is exactly what he got and put up over 100yds is what really matters here. The Rice predictions are coming to fruition...that doesnt mean he is a #1 or anything; but very start-able.

Yeah he got touches and this will be one of his better games -- scoring all of 13 points in PPR. He won't get any GL carries at all and looks like McGahee will take a check of the receptions as well.

We'll have to agree to disagree I guess, as yes, he was drafted in 5th or 6th as a team's #2 in many cases.

But that means that owner, could also likely have top rb/2top wr/top qb to go along with those 13 pts ppr....which would be 208 on a season...not lights out but solid for a 5th/6th rnder to go with other players taken earlier.

(and have to say, disagree with that as well...as jeez, not even the best ppr players are going to give you automatic 20 pts a game, you get some low games/some avg/some great)

LOL, and yes I remember mcaghee being a pretty good back...vaguely.

Just like I remember Larry Johnson, Ricky Williams, and slew of others being good rbs....live in the now Moz! :unsure:

As a Rice owner, I was happy with what I got today...of course it sucks to see other rbs vulture tds, but that will not be the case all year long. There are plenty of other rbs that went before Rice that look like total crap. Slaton! SJ! Jacobs! As a matter of fact, how many rbs are not in a rbbc? Not very many.

C'mon now Rice is the guy to have. You can'y just look at the overall statistics and say it's a full blwon RBBC. Willis has 3 touches in the 1st half. Baltimore isn't always going to be able ot run the ball like this and Willis will be the odd man out. Today's game will probably be his highest scoring FF of the season baring other injuries.

Umm, Slaton started out in RBBC in Houston and eventually became main guy...as the poster mentions he says Rice 'will be', as in the future, that guy.

Your post lacks research and posts in general often come often as talking down to others and smarta$$ery.

Slaton started out in a RBBC? Pretty sure they run that offense through 1 back. Ahman was the guy. Got hurt. Slaton became the 1 back.

Balt designs their running attack around a committee. They enjoy using 3 backs to keep everyone fresh. The Texans scheme for one guy. Not 3. So, not a good comparison. Sorry.

Slaton started out in a RBBC? Pretty sure they run that offense through 1 back. Ahman was the guy. Got hurt. Slaton became the 1 back.

Balt designs their running attack around a committee. They enjoy using 3 backs to keep everyone fresh. The Texans scheme for one guy. Not 3. So, not a good comparison. Sorry.

LOL, oh so since texans rbbc is 3 rbs and not 2...the orignal poster was OFF on his comparison. :pointstosky:

Since when does RBBC mean 3 and not 2?

The poster mentioned RBBC and you tell hiim wrong comparison.

But it happened with similiar breakdown as the ravens rbs today, see game logs:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/htx/2008.htm

Established rb (green = mcaghee), who shares carries but ends up taking over (slaton = rice). which is just the comparison original poster made.

No need for sorry man...next time just get it right instead of being 'pretty sure' and coming off like an a$$hat.

Other notable busts:

SJax 67 yards 0 TDs 0 catches

Forte 55 yards 0 TDs 0 catches

Portis 62 yards 0 TDs 1 catch 10 yards

I recommend dumping all these players. :doh:

Other notable busts:

SJax 67 yards 0 TDs 0 catches

Forte 55 yards 0 TDs 0 catches

Portis 62 yards 0 TDs 1 catch 10 yards

I recommend dumping all these players. :doublethumbsup:

Also..

Andre Johnson and Steve Smith.

Moz, like others in this thread I respect your opinion and you know your stuff but did you watch this game?

McGahee looked good but Rice looked dominant.Absolute travesty that he allowed himself to be pushed out at the 1 so Leron could snipe a td but other than that he looked strong and very fast.

Couple things, will Rice get all the carries? no, he will be spelled by McGahee throughout the game and Leron will get a few quick hitters each game as well. I dont think anybody is expecting Rice to get more than 230-250 carries this year so a split is not that big a deal.Same deal on 3rd down, Rice will get "most" of the work there but McGahee has solid hands so we should expect him to steal some receptions throughout the year. I especially love Rice in dynasty leagues, good young Baltimore team with a talented O-Line and Rice is WAY more talented than most people think.