Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Airbnb?

Any of you do this? I'm heading back from the bay area; I don't know what was going on but there were no hotels available other than fleabags. A friend had told me he used Airbnb in such cases so I said wtf and tried it.

We stumbled on some logistics as they were virgins too, but overall a positive experience.

Interesting couple. Semi retired, earning some extra money.

It's intriguing to me that technology allows us to communicate without seeing each other, yet apps like uber and Airbnb enable us to meet otherwise random people face to face. And occasional poop in their houses... :unsure:

It's badass. Every time I've gone a vacation or been out of town for work I/we use Airbnb. Usually renting out an entire bada$$ house is cheaper than a hotel.

Kept hearing about it but, wasn't sure what it was. After looking into it, don't think I'd be against giving it a shot.

Never tried it. Thought about it. I read where they were having difficulties with it due to laws around hotels and such that the Airbnb skirt around

Yes it's a perfectly viable way to stay somewhere and has been for years. It's also hurting the housing market as more owners use their place exclusively for AirBnB and similar services.

I sincerely thought this was some bad ass cool IT development.

Then I found out it was for bed and breakfast places and wondered what all the hullaboo was about.

Bfd

Then I found out it was for bed and breakfast places and wondered what all the hullaboo was about.

Bfd

this isnt what what it is at all

this isnt what what it is at all

Really??? I'm picturing the old lady in that one commercial.

"That's not how that works!"

Bfd

It's a service where people rent their house as if it was a hotel room. The BnB part is just a catchy name and has no relevance other than a bed is implied.

It's a service where people rent their house as if it was a hotel room. The BnB part is just a catchy name and has no relevance other than a bed is implied.

Yes. I know. Gotta read my whole post before replying

Is it different than VRBO?

In my experience yes. When we've done VRBO we had the house to ourselves; this time I saw Charles and Andree in their jammies since they were in the house at the same time. Andree btw was pretty milfy (or gilfy as I'm guessing she was in her early 60's). :wub:

In my experience yes. When we've done VRBO we had the house to ourselves; this time I saw Charles and Andree in their jammies since they were in the house at the same time. Andree btw was pretty milfy (or gilfy as I'm guessing she was in her early 60's). :wub:

That does not sound appealing to me.

• Like 1

Overall, I've had good experiences with Airbnb. One property manager was crazy, however - she was convinced we had extra guests staying at the property (had some friends sleeping in the driveway in a Sprinter van). She made several attempts to "catch us" violating the terms of the contract, which ultimately ended in her locking the house, putting most of our stuff in the front yard and us calling the cops to get the rest of our sh!t from lockdown.

That does not sound appealing to me.

The good thing is you can shop around.. If it isnt a situation you want to be in you can pick a place that has an area to yourself

Overall, I've had good experiences with Airbnb. One property manager was crazy, however - she was convinced we had extra guests staying at the property (had some friends sleeping in the driveway in a Sprinter van). She made several attempts to "catch us" violating the terms of the contract, which ultimately ended in her locking the house, putting most of our stuff in the front yard and us calling the cops to get the rest of our sh!t from lockdown.

Sounds like a great little vacay

Sounds like a great little vacay

Her antics did ruin one evening of our vacation, but overall it wasn't a huge deal. I'm sure many people violate the occupancy limits set at Airbnb and other vacation rentals, buy terrorizing your guests is no solution to that problem.

In retrospect, the description of the property was a little oppressive, with far more "house rules" than is typical. Shoulda been a warning for things to come.

I'm hesitant to use it here in Asia because this place is the capital of bullish!t ads and fake pictures. That 'honey mountain cabin' can easily really be a 'white slave trade collection point.'