Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

***Official Seattle Seahawks Thread 2012***

Very good and accurate analysis Phillybear. I watched the entire game also, and was impressed. The head injury that Miller sustained is troubling, in light of his concussion history. Seattle really needs him to be available each week, and be the TE that he was brought in to be.

Between TO, Rice, and Edwards, I see no reason to be fearful of the WR situation....particularly if a couple of the young guys can step up and be productive.

Flynn did look great against the 1st-teamers, as I expected. However, Wilson was totally impressive also. Besides the horrible int, he looked poised, accurate, and jet-quick. The kid has something. This may be a closer QB competition than I originally expected.

How is that midget Russell Wilson looking?

My understanding from Phillybear is that he would be cut after a game or two :lol:

How is that midget Russell Wilson looking?

My understanding from Phillybear is that he would be cut after a game or two :lol:

Despite my over the top yet somewhat subtle jackassery, or maybe not so subtle, my responses and posts, especially recent ones, do at times contain the answers that you seek, young grasshoppah.

I'm willing to keep an open mind, some thing that I don't always do with draft picks because I am right so much more often than whoever is in our front office. Did I mention the jackassery? He played the 2nd half against guys that won't be in the league by next weekend. He is expected to start game 2 and play for a while against a first string defense. He won't be the starter this season, and he may never beat out Flynn or another QB to be the starter; maybe he will. We will learn a whole lot more next week. Last I checked, he remains very short. There is something to be said about yelling "Willlllllson" in one's best Tom Hanks voice.

Despite my over the top yet somewhat subtle jackassery, or maybe not so subtle, my responses and posts, especially recent ones, do at times contain the answers that you seek, young grasshoppah.

I'm willing to keep an open mind, some thing that I don't always do with draft picks because I am right so much more often than whoever is in our front office. Did I mention the jackassery? He played the 2nd half against guys that won't be in the league by next weekend. He is expected to start game 2 and play for a while against a first string defense. He won't be the starter this season, and he may never beat out Flynn or another QB to be the starter; maybe he will. We will learn a whole lot more next week. Last I checked, he remains very short. There is something to be said about yelling "Willlllllson" in one's best Tom Hanks voice.

I'm a huge Badger fan! :pointstosky:

I haven't read this thread at all except the part where you were dissing the midget, so you've probably made much more sense since then!

I've always liked the Seahawks. I don't understand the Seahawk policy to only go after former Wisconsin quarterbacks (Hasselbeck, Flynn, Wilson)... but I respect it...

Just leave Favre alone..... it's not a good idea... trust me :cheers:

So we might actually get something out of Jackson? Why would Arizona give up a draft pick for a guy who'll probably be cut before the opener? He's no better then Skelton or Kolb. Don't they remember the last game of 2011 when he was completely incapable of leading Seattle from behind?

I have refrained from commenting because Phillybear's analysis has been top notch. Seriously it's better than what Sando is throwing up on ESPN maybe he could use some help?

Maybe a bit to passionate about the draft...I kid because I luv you brotha! :thumbsup: Give the poor kids a chance its too soon to tell although I share your fear on Carpenter, and Irvin. Not so much with Moffit, I like that kid.

Our defense is looking great, it's only the Titans but I could not be happier with the progress the team is making. All you non-homers have to remember how bad off Holmgren and company left this team just two years ago, the team is dramatically improved its one of the better rebuilding jobs in recent memory. If Singletary had not been so incompetent a head coach more people would be talking about the Seahawks and the job Carrol and Schneider have done. Something tells me their day in the sun is coming and much sooner than anyone expected.

If the Defense plays as well as we expect and the O-line can solidify then next year should be all skill position drafts and you know how ESPN loves those drafts. Something tells me Phillybear would like that too! Keep up the great analysis PB. :first:

. All you non-homers have to remember how bad off Holmgren and company left this team just two years ago,

Holmgren? I think you mean Ruskell.

I was able to grab Wilson late in my dynasty draft, and am very stoked to have been able to do so.

I have Peyton Manning as my starter, and think I can get another 2 to 3 years out of him. Then I have Jake Locker and Russell Wilson on my bench.

Hopefully one of those kids can emerge and be a viable starter in a couple years.

I'll have my popcorn ready Saturday night.

I hope Manning plays a good amount and throws a lot. Our defense needs a dose of that with the QB's they'll be facing this season.

Random thoughts of the Seahawks 30-10 win at Denver, sending them to 2-0 in the preseason, which is nice. I was unable to watch the game, the replay on NFL Network is tonight, I believe.

Defense

Playing a very vanilla, basic defense the first half, not pressing WRs, not blitzing, playing bend don't break, allowing Manning to pitch and catch. And that is what Manning did, threw for a sh!tload of yards. Still, it is very impressive that the defense picked Manning twice and recovered a fumble, leading to all the first half points. The defense is very opportunistic. Jason Jones did not play, so there was no pressure up the middle. Clemons looks impotent. Irvin is invisible. This year, much to my infinite anger, the pass rush does not exist in any way whatsoever. For 4 years now, I'm begging for some kind of pass rush from the outside, and he have one man on our roster that can do it. Without a blitzing LB, there is no pressure. I now have to adjust down our defenses expectations. I don't care how unworldly the secondary is, you can't give a QB all day long to sit in the pocket, have a cup of tea, and then throw to an eventually open WR. The LB made some plays. The run defense looked decent. Denver could do nothing on offense the entire 2nd half. Manning really only had one long drive, which ended up a FG, right before half. The Denver TD was set up by a blocked punt in Seattle territory.

Offense

Let's start, with line. Taking repeated penalties kept putting the offense in holes they found difficulties climbing out of. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. The run blocking is outstanding. Outrushed Denver 228 to 38 yards, getting 5.2 yards per carry. The pass blocking is weak. Both Flynn and especially Wilson had problems from this. Wilson was facing a Denver team that seemed to blitz the entire 2nd half, and was running around with his hair on fire. Kellen Winslow caught a key pass early, Anthony McCoy was pancaking people on a couple of plays, the tight ends looked good. When you run for so many yards, you have a lot of credit to spread around. Solid play from Lynch, Lumpkin, Turbin is still inconsistent. The wide receivers were terrible. I'd grade them out as a D- overall. Terrell Owens was targeted 5 times early. Zero catches. He dropped a perfectly thrown 50 TD pass from Flynn. Another pass was well defended, but the other 3 Owens throws were incorrect routes run by Owens. There is a learning curve here, and Flynn isn't getting enough snaps in practice to meld with Owens. Golden Tate allowed himself to be pushed out of the endzone to squander another TD catch. Braylon Edwards did nothing. Butler had a couple of somewhat meaningful catches. Sidney Rice and Doug Baldwin did not play. So while the top 2 WRs aren't playing, and Denver has a very good secondary, you can't have a group of WRs that can't get open two weeks in a row now. The plan seemed to be Flynn chucking the ball deep at the expense of check down, which were probably the right decisions but ignored, to see if he can throw deep, and Flynn was on target. The WRs kept letting the team down. Flynn is a steady game manager and is locked into the starting lineup week one. For all the offensive chaos on the passing offense, they still scored three times, and Denver had to add a last second FG in the 2nd quarter to lead by one. Seattle's defense and running game will carry this team, with the offense not turning it over and cashing in on some scoring chances when they get them. In the 2nd half, let's not get too carried away with the dominance. 2 TDs were scored in the meaningless 4th quarter. Wilson did some good things, but when you get short passes leading to long YAC TDs, that will help your stats. Still, with as much pressure thrown at Wilson, he did a very nice job again in game situations. He is much, much further along in his development that I ever expected. I remain convinced that he got drafted a little bit too early, but Carroll and Schneider clearly loved this kid. He's on the roster, and despite how he got here, I'm accepting that he is a legitimate prospect at QB in this league. I liked how Seattle was cruising along in the 4th quarter with the lead, pounding out first downs methodically, put up more points, finishing the game off with no drama. Very businesslike.

Special teams

Hauschka kicked 3 FGs early, Ryan averaged over 50 yards a punt, but there was a break down when a punt was blocked.

The Seahawks dominated time of possession and had a huge advantage in rushing the ball. That is the blueprint for the season.

The defense is ready for the season to start now. The Broncos only put one good drive on us the first half. 3 turnovers were nifty. Irvin was putting a little more pressure on before the half, but overall the pass rush was very weak.

That dropped TD pass to TO was a beauty, a perfect rainbow that bounced right out of his hands. A lot of Flynn's incompletions stemmed from trying to get Owen's involved. They'll have to get more chemistry going in the next two weeks.

The penalties really need to get under control. Guys were fighting all game. It's good to see some fire, but this is the downside of having a "player's coach".

I missed the 3rd quarter, but Wilson looked great in the 4th, clearly playing against inferior competition.

2 blocked punts! The kid out of Kentucky could find himself unemployed over that bullsh!t.

Okung is still healthy!!!

All in all the team has some glaring strengths and weaknesses. I think Arizona is going to get pummeled when the real games begin.

Per rotoworld:

Barrett Ruud - LB

- Saints The Saints have acquired MLB Barrett Ruud from the Seahawks for an undisclosed draft pick.

With their linebacker corps devastated with suspensions (Jonathan Vilma, Lawrence Wilson, and Ramon Humber) and injuries (Chris Chamberlain, David Hawthorne, and Curtis Lofton), the Saints were desperate for help at the position. The 29-year-old Ruud lost out to impressive rookie Bobby Wagner for the starting middle linebacker in Seattle, but figures to be the favorite for the starting job in New Orleans. Once healthy, Lofton will move to the strong side and Hawthorne will work the weak side.

Per rotoworld:

Barrett Ruud - LB

- Saints The Saints have acquired MLB Barrett Ruud from the Seahawks for an undisclosed draft pick.

With their linebacker corps devastated with suspensions (Jonathan Vilma, Lawrence Wilson, and Ramon Humber) and injuries (Chris Chamberlain, David Hawthorne, and Curtis Lofton), the Saints were desperate for help at the position. The 29-year-old Ruud lost out to impressive rookie Bobby Wagner for the starting middle linebacker in Seattle, but figures to be the favorite for the starting job in New Orleans. Once healthy, Lofton will move to the strong side and Hawthorne will work the weak side.

Rudd would have been an excellent backup to have. He seemed to play well last week. I hope we got a worthwhile pick. Our LB depth is horrible, even before the trade.

Don't like the move.

Well, Russell Wilson is starting the 3rd preseason game. Is it just to get a look at his progress with the 1st string vs the other teams' starters, or is he legitimately going to get a shot at the starting gig? I'm stumped.

Well, Russell Wilson is starting the 3rd preseason game. Is it just to get a look at his progress with the 1st string vs the other teams' starters, or is he legitimately going to get a shot at the starting gig? I'm stumped.

Carroll is madly in love with the guy. I'm sure they just want to see him against a starting defense. I'll definitely be watching.

If he plays great then we could have a QB controversy.

My Seahawks insider led me to believe that the Badger Midget would be cut already :dunno:

I'm equally confused :lol:

ETA: "He's a mid-round QB with major flaws!" :banana:

Great views Phillybear with all you're latest posts and reviews of our games....... I've been pretty busy with Fantasy Football lately so that's been my priority, but I thought I'd finally check in for a bit. Anyway, I've agreed with pretty much everything anyway and you're once again on target. Although I'm a little higher (and hopeful) then you with some of our draft picks still, once I really re-looked at them. Irvin, not so sure still? I'm kind of with you on him, although maybe we can use him as a specialty type blitz player? I dono. But, I like Wagner. And Wilson = Wow.

Turbin I still like.

Now I can see why I wanted to draft a top tier BIG wide though. Next year maybe

I can only hope Rice and Baldwin improve our WR situation as it's been BAD. I guess they still need more work together, so we'll see. I'm also worried about our Oline once again. Flynn has been pressure pretty heavily, and it might be from a vanilla rush even. That's scary.

Anyway, Wilson is tearing it up!!!! Flynn has made (or could have made) some plays too (TO drop was sickening)and I'm still on the Flynn bandwagon, but the way Wilson has played I think he's in the running for starter for sure!!!!

If Wilson comes out and lights it up again as starter, I do think he'll take this job. And probably deserves it.

He is putting drive after drive together. This is turning out to be a great draft pick in my view. I always liked him, but thought it was to early. I was wrong. I think he's for real.

All the other rookies are starting with FAR LESS production then what Wilson has done. I could see him start rather easily. Flynn's contract is not that high.

I'm happy with both QB's.

I still think we should start Flynn. I like the idea of Wilson as a backup plan for us. See what Flynn can do and then if he's not good enough go to the rook and future. But, Wilson looks better in our offense to me. Probably because the Oline is not good enough still.

In my view, he'll be our starter if he goes off this week to answer you're question. Poor Flynn.

Flynn has had no support.

P.S. - I still love the Def! I think they will be huge.

My Seahawks insider led me to believe that the Badger Midget would be cut already :dunno:

I'm equally confused :lol:

ETA: "He's a mid-round QB with major flaws!" :banana:

I know that you aren't read my long posts, but...

Wilson did some good things, but when you get short passes leading to long YAC TDs, that will help your stats. Still, with as much pressure thrown at Wilson, he did a very nice job again in game situations. He is much, much further along in his development that I ever expected. I remain convinced that he got drafted a little bit too early, but Carroll and Schneider clearly loved this kid. He's on the roster, and despite how he got here, I'm accepting that he is a legitimate prospect at QB in this league.

Everybody take a deep breath. The guy is the same height as Doug Flutie. It's a problem. Wilson has performed well scrambling for his life behind the makeshift backup O-linemen. Let's see what he does this week, sitting in the pocket, looking at much bigger lineman than he saw in college, making reads and throws, not improvised. The odds are Wilson will be the #2 this year, and that's not all bad.

This Wilson love is getting out of hand, they need to start Flynn and get him his reps and if he melts down by week four then go to the rookie.

Call me crazy but I don't want a QB that runs around and is exciting, I want a QB that sits in the pocket and moves just enough to evade the rushers while looking down field and is smart enough to throw it away when the play is dead.

Cause Wilson is no Vick and if we start him he is going to get killed by week 2 and then Flynn will come in with no confidence or reps and take 3-4 games just to get in rythm with the media bashing him the whole time. This is the nightmare scenario where the first half the season is ruined and with a young team that could set quite a few players development back. We need them hungry and in the NFC West hunt.

I know that you aren't read my long posts, but...

I just like to give you a hard time....

I wish you luck on whatever Badger state quarterback you settle on!

May the best [midget] man win! :cheers:

"Call me crazy but I don't want a QB that runs around and is exciting..."

How about a QB that runs around and wins football games? Have you watched NC State or Wisc the the last few years? What is Flynn's pedigree? One game subbing for Rodgers agaisnt the lions? Any Seattle fan should hope for Wilson and not follow the money they paid to Flynn. :argue:

How about a QB that runs around and wins football games? Have you watched NC State or Wisc the the last few years? What is Flynn's pedigree? One game subbing for Rodgers agaisnt the lions? Any Seattle fan should hope for Wilson and not follow the money they paid to Flynn. :argue:

Buddy Ryan used to tell Randall Cunningham to run around and make some plays. The Eagles never won a playoff game.

Flynn worked with the best QB in football the last few years. His strength is reading a defense. And he signed a very modest contract so money is not a factor.

Wilson was OK in college, but even then I thought he played better in chaos, not structure. A run first, short passing offense is not a recipe for chaos.

All that said, Carroll is fanatical in his compete for every position philosophy. The next few weeks will be interesting.

Buddy Ryan used to tell Randall Cunningham to run around and make some plays. The Eagles never won a playoff game.

Flynn worked with the best QB in football the last few years. His strength is reading a defense. And he signed a very modest contract so money is not a factor.

Wilson was OK in college, but even then I thought he played better in chaos, not structure. A run first, short passing offense is not a recipe for chaos.

All that said, Carroll is fanatical in his compete for every position philosophy. The next few weeks will be interesting.

Why do you keep doubling down on everything?

I thought we settled down here :dunno:

Modest contract? 26 mil for 3 years (10 mil guaranteed) for a starter of 2 career NFL games? That's modest?

Flynn worked with the best quarterback? That's what we're putting on his resume?

Pauly Shore worked with Al Pacino on a movie but unfortunately he's still doing "Encino Man 6" :doh:

His strength is reading defenses?

He's read NE's crapass defense and the Lions crapass defense. He hasn't played a good defense yet.

Wilson was OK in college?

Wilson was dynamite for the Badgers last year....

He just win games.

Don't be afraid of a quarterback controversy.... embrace it.... love it.... may the best man win :cheers:

I don't really view Wilson as a run first QB. I think he moves around a lot in the pocket, but always seems to be looking down the field ready to throw or throws on the run. Not to say he won't run sometimes, but some movement in the pocket is a good thing. Even Rodgers runs. And with our O-line it's needed.

A big thing I was looking for was if he got his ball batted down due to his size. And like in college, he still does not and finds passing lanes with no issues. It doesn't seem like he has a problem due to size delivering his ball.

He's got a live arm and seems to be very very accurate. I would like to see some deep ball action this week.

We'll see how he does this week against a starting Def though? I think he'll make it a tough decision on the Hawks on who to start.

I still like Flynn as well. It will be interesting.

Even though I think Wilson will be a great QB, and I'd rather have him start. I'm still old school when it comes to my QB's, and I like my guys to sit a season before taking over.

I think it's good to see what the kid can do in the first half this week with the 1's, against the 1's. But I still think it should be Flynn in week 1.

I don't really view Wilson as a run first QB. I think he moves around a lot in the pocket, but always seems to be looking down the field ready to throw or throws on the run. Not to say he won't run sometimes, but some movement in the pocket is a good thing. Even Rodgers runs. And with our O-line it's needed.

A big thing I was looking for was if he got his ball batted down due to his size. And like in college, he still does not and finds passing lanes with no issues. It doesn't seem like he has a problem due to size delivering his ball.

He's got a live arm and seems to be very very accurate. I would like to see some deep ball action this week.

We'll see how he does this week against a starting Def though? I think he'll make it a tough decision on the Hawks on who to start.

I still like Flynn as well. It will be interesting.

Wilson - 10 drives - 5 TD's, 1 FG this preseason

I know Flynn has had wides drop the ball, bad Oline play, etc. - But, what points or stats has he really put up yet?

He's not leading scoring drives and taking a lot of sacks.

Wilson is winning this battle so far. So if he does well this week, I bet he starts for us.

I'm excited as hell for Russell Wilson. I'm okay if he sits behind Flynn for a year but am excited to see what he can do with our first team offense and against a first team defense (what's the harm in that).

When the Hawks drafted him, I read every article I could find and watched every video clip I could track down. The kid is a winner, a gamer, has the "it" factor (at least to me) and just an overall good kid (hard to not like/root for him after listening to him in interviews).

An interesting stat:Russell Wilson, Seattle’s third round pick, had only two balls batted down at the line of scrimmage despite his 5’10″ height. The four first round quarterbacks? Andrew Luck with 2, Robert Griffin with 9, Brandon Weeden with 8, and Ryan Tannehill with 19.

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/05/22/russell-wilson-and-short-quarterbacks-how-much-does-height-matter-at-qb/

Why do you keep doubling down on everything?

I thought we settled down here :dunno:

Modest contract? 26 mil for 3 years (10 mil guaranteed) for a starter of 2 career NFL games? That's modest?

Flynn worked with the best quarterback? That's what we're putting on his resume?

Pauly Shore worked with Al Pacino on a movie but unfortunately he's still doing "Encino Man 6" :doh:

His strength is reading defenses?

He's read NE's crapass defense and the Lions crapass defense. He hasn't played a good defense yet.

Wilson was OK in college?

Wilson was dynamite for the Badgers last year....

He just win games.

Don't be afraid of a quarterback controversy.... embrace it.... love it.... may the best man win :cheers:

I don't buy into runaway hype. I am trying to be pragmatic.

Yes, it's a modest contract. Clearly front loaded, so that if Flynn is cut after this year, there will be little cap hit. How many games did Kevin Kolb start and what contract did he get from Arizona (not to mention draft capital traded)? Matt Cassell and Kansas City?

The NFL is a learning curve for QBs. Flynn entered the league as the mediocre QB of LSU as a low round pick. And he understudied to Aaron Rodgers in practices and game prep. You couldn't ask for a better mentor. Green Bay developed this guy into an excellent student and accurate passer. Not every QB can have a cannon like Favre. I'm not even sure if Favre dissected defenses that much; he would gamble, chuck the ball into tight spots, and threw a bunch of INTs along with being one of the best gunslingers in NFL history. Flynn is following the steps of Hasselbeck I guess. I'm just rambling now.

For all the hype Wilson is getting, he has played the 2nd halves of two preseason games. That's it. Think about that. It's not much of an NFL resume. Flynn has been in the league, learning, for a number of years, started a few regular season games, and has looked sharp in his two preseason starts, never mind the whole Terrell Owens deal from last week. Flynn has not outplayed his way out of the position. College is college and it's trick at times to project QBs to the next level, Andrew Luck notwithstanding.

Is this Carroll trying to figure out what we have in Wilson? We signed Flynn at a very good price all things considered, but we didn't target him in free agency. His value fell and it made sense to sign him. On top of that, it seems that Carroll got the QB that he wanted other than Tannehill in the draft. But was he looking at trading up for Barkley next year, based on the USC up close knowledge of the kid? But, Carroll had two QBs drop in his lap unexpectedly. Flynn is more of known quantity right now by the front office and fans. He know what he brings. Wilson is wild card. Is he the guy, or are we still looking for a franchise QB next offseason? Again, I'm rambling.

Carroll doesn't follow convention. He is a defensive minded coach that just done a miraculous job in completely rebuilding the defense into a potentially special unit. He will probably turn around and play Flynn for the 1st half in week 4, which is frowned upon. I think I'm giving up on his logic in rotating QBs for the starting job.

The most important fact: the first half of the schedule is by far, by far, the toughest part of the Seahawks schedule. I don't want to throw a rookie into that cauldron. If the team starts out 2-6 with Flynn, then maybe you bring in Wilson the rest of the season.

I don't know if this made any sense. Words, words, words. I'm not even going to proof read it as my head hurts. Good luck with Graham Harrell, donhass. You know you guys miss Flynn right about now.

Wilson - 10 drives - 5 TD's, 1 FG this preseason

I know Flynn has had wides drop the ball, bad Oline play, etc. - But, what points or stats has he really put up yet?

He's not leading scoring drives and taking a lot of sacks.

Wilson is winning this battle so far. So if he does well this week, I bet he starts for us.

I know Wilson has had a majority of those Td drives in the 4th quarter, some in the final minutes of the games. He's made some questionable throws and should have more picks than he does.

And Flynn went something like 11 for 13 in game one, and led 3 scoring drives in the first half vs Denver's defense. They dominated Tennessee early with Flynn in the game. Last week, Flynn was throwing deep at the expense of the checkdown throws with what looked by design. Golden Tate couldn't get both feet down in the endzone for a TD. And we all saw Owens drop another TD pass.

Both guys have done the job fairly well.

I don't buy into runaway hype. I am trying to be pragmatic.

Yes, it's a modest contract. Clearly front loaded, so that if Flynn is cut after this year, there will be little cap hit. How many games did Kevin Kolb start and what contract did he get from Arizona (not to mention draft capital traded)? Matt Cassell and Kansas City?

The NFL is a learning curve for QBs. Flynn entered the league as the mediocre QB of LSU as a low round pick. And he understudied to Aaron Rodgers in practices and game prep. You couldn't ask for a better mentor. Green Bay developed this guy into an excellent student and accurate passer. Not every QB can have a cannon like Favre. I'm not even sure if Favre dissected defenses that much; he would gamble, chuck the ball into tight spots, and threw a bunch of INTs along with being one of the best gunslingers in NFL history. Flynn is following the steps of Hasselbeck I guess. I'm just rambling now.

For all the hype Wilson is getting, he has played the 2nd halves of two preseason games. That's it. Think about that. It's not much of an NFL resume. Flynn has been in the league, learning, for a number of years, started a few regular season games, and has looked sharp in his two preseason starts, never mind the whole Terrell Owens deal from last week. Flynn has not outplayed his way out of the position. College is college and it's trick at times to project QBs to the next level, Andrew Luck notwithstanding.

Is this Carroll trying to figure out what we have in Wilson? We signed Flynn at a very good price all things considered, but we didn't target him in free agency. His value fell and it made sense to sign him. On top of that, it seems that Carroll got the QB that he wanted other than Tannehill in the draft. But was he looking at trading up for Barkley next year, based on the USC up close knowledge of the kid? But, Carroll had two QBs drop in his lap unexpectedly. Flynn is more of known quantity right now by the front office and fans. He know what he brings. Wilson is wild card. Is he the guy, or are we still looking for a franchise QB next offseason? Again, I'm rambling.

Carroll doesn't follow convention. He is a defensive minded coach that just done a miraculous job in completely rebuilding the defense into a potentially special unit. He will probably turn around and play Flynn for the 1st half in week 4, which is frowned upon. I think I'm giving up on his logic in rotating QBs for the starting job.

The most important fact: the first half of the schedule is by far, by far, the toughest part of the Seahawks schedule. I don't want to throw a rookie into that cauldron. If the team starts out 2-6 with Flynn, then maybe you bring in Wilson the rest of the season.

I don't know if this made any sense. Words, words, words. I'm not even going to proof read it as my head hurts. Good luck with Graham Harrell, donhass. You know you guys miss Flynn right about now.

I hate Graham Harrell :mad: ..... but I know the drill... Warner, Brunell, Detmer, Brooks, Hasselbeck, and now Flynn are not content to be career back-ups... It's hard to keep two good QBs in the salary cap era...

My existence in this thread was soley to combat your weird Sweetness34*-style hatred of Russell Wilson, whom I love.

I'm not knocking Flynn.... I love him, too....

Some QB controversy is good. Competition is good. Flynn is good. Wilson is good.

It's an exciting time to be a Seahawks fan :thumbsup:

*factless!

I hate Graham Harrell :mad: ..... but I know the drill... Warner, Brunell, Detmer, Brooks, Hasselbeck, and now Flynn are not content to be career back-ups... It's hard to keep two good QBs in the salary cap era...

My existence in this thread was soley to combat your weird Sweetness34*-style hatred of Russell Wilson, whom I love.

I'm not knocking Flynn.... I love him, too....

Some QB controversy is good. Competition is good. Flynn is good. Wilson is good.

It's an exciting time to be a Seahawks fan :thumbsup:

*factless!

I don't hate Russell Wilson. I'm a value based draft guy. NFL draft, Fantasy Football, figuring out which drunken broad to hit on in a bar. I was not happy at all with the trade up and take a guy higher than he should have been slotted to go along with his relative projected career outlook. If you have a specific target, then you have to do that. I can try to see the logic when it comes to finding a QB. However, I've always believed in sitting back, let the other guys make the mistakes and reaches, and then take advantage by getting more bang for your buck, especially the early rounds. Carroll and Schneider have the later rounds knocked in taking value for the most part and finding talent, against normal odds, so I'll try to give them more leeway in the future with those. But when you have early picks, you need to have impact players, and this franchise has been whiffing on 1st round picks for nearly a decade other than Russell Okung and Earl Thomas. The 2nd and 3rd rounders have been bad lately too, and it drives me frothing at the mouth insane. I'm trying to be more reasonable in my misplaced anger since Wilson has flashed some ability and I'm familiar with his body of work. Unlike our latest bust 1st round pick this year DE Irvin, who isn't leaving my sh1t list any time soon. I'm not down on Wilson, and I'm keeping an open mind. Competition is good. Especially when the competition is a level above Tarvaris Jackson vs Charlie Whitehurst. I don't take myself so seriously that I can't admit when I mistake either. So, poke away. Poke. Poke.

Sweetness34 type hatred should be reserved for Sweetness34 himself. That oaf should be showing up soon with his nonsense.

I know Wilson has had a majority of those Td drives in the 4th quarter, some in the final minutes of the games. He's made some questionable throws and should have more picks than he does.

And Flynn went something like 11 for 13 in game one, and led 3 scoring drives in the first half vs Denver's defense. They dominated Tennessee early with Flynn in the game. Last week, Flynn was throwing deep at the expense of the checkdown throws with what looked by design. Golden Tate couldn't get both feet down in the endzone for a TD. And we all saw Owens drop another TD pass.

Both guys have done the job fairly well.

Just want to give a few points/stats as I see it against this post:

The first game Flynn led a drive to one FG the entire first half. This was with a ton of 3 and outs and turnover by our Def. The lone TD was by our Def on an INT. 10 points first half.

Wilson in the 3rd qrt lead a drive and scored.... Plus additional scores in the 4th.

Against Denver:

Our Def. got Int which lead to a FG, Our Def got a forced Fumble which lead to our 2nd FG, and once again our Def picked P. Manning for a second time which lead to our 3rd FG. Some of these drives had Little to do with Flynn.

Again, only 9 points in the first half. Another solid Def game.

Wilson in the 3rd Qrt again lead a huge drive, that was capped by a running back TD run. Plus additional scores in the 4th.

I'm not trying to dog Flynn, but to me Wilson has outplayed him so far. This will be a big test for the kid to see what he can do against 1's. And also a nice test to see Flynn against Backups? Or at least I hope Flynn is the #2 QB???

I just think Flynn could have done more. 30 yards passing in the entire first half is NOT good enough. The Owens drop hurt, but still.

Just want to give a few points/stats as I see it against this post:

The first game Flynn led a drive to one FG the entire first half. This was with a ton of 3 and outs and turnover by our Def. The lone TD was by our Def on an INT. 10 points first half.

Wilson in the 3rd qrt lead a drive and scored.... Plus additional scores in the 4th.

Against Denver:

Our Def. got Int which lead to a FG, Our Def got a forced Fumble which lead to our 2nd FG, and once again our Def picked P. Manning for a second time which lead to our 3rd FG. Some of these drives had Little to do with Flynn.

Again, only 9 points in the first half. Another solid Def game.

Wilson in the 3rd Qrt again lead a huge drive, that was capped by a running back TD run. Plus additional scores in the 4th.

I'm not trying to dog Flynn, but to me Wilson has outplayed him so far. This will be a big test for the kid to see what he can do against 1's. And also a nice test to see Flynn against Backups? Or at least I hope Flynn is the #2 QB???

I just think Flynn could have done more. 30 yards passing in the entire first half is NOT good enough. The Owens drop hurt, but still.

Flynn so far:

vs Tenn - 11/13 71 yards 5.5 average 1 INT.

vs Denver - 6/13 31 yards 2.4 average

This is for an entire half of football..... I know these stats are a bit misleading to how he looks, but still are really bad.

How about a QB that runs around and wins football games? Have you watched NC State or Wisc the the last few years? What is Flynn's pedigree? One game subbing for Rodgers agaisnt the lions? Any Seattle fan should hope for Wilson and not follow the money they paid to Flynn.

At least quote the entire sentence...

Silly arguement, Flynn won a national title back in college. :first:

I want a QB that stays in the pocket and uses small moves to avoid rushes so he does not pull the attacking defender past his O-line. Unless an offensive lineman has eyes in the back of his head, when a QB breaks the pocket he is on his own for the most part. Not to mention our O-line is young and pass blocking is actually pretty hard to do well. Sure Wilson is exciting but we had Seneca Wallace for many years up here and Wilson reminds me an awful lot of him.

I really don't see why everyone is so excited when Wilson is getting his stats against scrubs that wont make most NFL rosters. I am scared he does well on Friday and we do end up with a QB controversy. Does Hali's suspension start in regular season or now? Good god, I am actually cheering for the Chiefs defense to kill Wilson now...I don't know where my head is at or why I hate him so much.

Flynn so far:

vs Tenn - 11/13 71 yards 5.5 average 1 INT.

vs Denver - 6/13 31 yards 2.4 average

This is for an entire half of football..... I know these stats are a bit misleading to how he looks, but still are really bad.

To play devil's advocate, Wilson thrown a short pass to a running back who then goes 40 some yards for a TD based on individual effort. Pads Wilson's stats. Wilson throws an ill advised pass to Braylon Edwards Week One, and gets the tremendous catch by Edwards for a TD. The passes dropped for Flynn have hurt, but that's been well documented. Flynn manages the game; the stats are going to look ugly at times, and good at times. I thought he was great vs Tenn, which played deep Cover 2. There was nobody to throw to past 5 yards downfield, and the total yards weren't pretty, but he was on target with everything.

Oh, screw it. Do we really know what we have here? Rice and Baldwin haven't even played yet. And both are facing pretty vanilla defenses.

This team will run the ball a lot and try to convert 3rd and shorts and move the chains. Anything else is a bonus.

Wilson is mobile, but he's been using his feet to open up the passing game. When he's moving around the pocket, he keeps his eyes downfield. He's an intelligent kind of athletic QB, basically the anti-Tarvaris Jackson.

Am I worried about his height? Hell yeah I am. He's not even an inch shorter then Brees for whatever that's worth. Brees is a different kind of quarterback. Wilson definitely doesn't have the arm Brees has. We'll just have to see.

QB controversy or not, we are in the best shape we've been at the position since 2007. Washed up Hasselbeck, Whitehorse and TJax have been rough to watch the past 5 years. Along with having one of the best young defenses in the league it's FINALLY an exciting time to be a Seahwaks fan again.

Amen, thank god we actually have something to be excited about and discuss.

Wow, I think I just made every trolls dreams come true with that statement. I am leaving it up because I want to see how many times it can be quoted.

But I meant how its nice to have some potential at QB instead of the blackhole of the last couple years.

Seattle vs Denver, NFL Network replay, right now. I'm watching, critically.

Well, let's see, where to start. Matt Flynn sits behind JaMarucs Russel who has a big bowl game and is drafted 1st overall to the NFL and then completely sucks and is out of the league in a couple of years. Flynn then takes LSU to the National Championship game and wins it 38-24 over Ohio State. Then he gets drafted in the 7th round and beats out the 2nd round QB Green Bay took in the same draft and then cut since they liked what they saw in Flynn. In two games Flynn lights up the scoreboard including the greatest QB performance in Packers history. He's not fast, He doesn't have a strong arm, yet he slings it 50 yards in the air perfectly into T.O.s hands just recently. He makes quick reads and gets the ball out and hits his receivers in stride. Reminds me of Joe Montana. How else do you describe someone so limited physically but so gifted in production when he's in the game?

Well, let's see, where to start. Matt Flynn sits behind JaMarucs Russel who has a big bowl game and is drafted 1st overall to the NFL and then completely sucks and is out of the league in a couple of years. Flynn then takes LSU to the National Championship game and wins it 38-24 over Ohio State. Then he gets drafted in the 7th round and beats out the 2nd round QB Green Bay took in the same draft and then cut since they liked what they saw in Flynn. In two games Flynn lights up the scoreboard including the greatest QB performance in Packers history. He's not fast, He doesn't have a strong arm, yet he slings it 50 yards in the air perfectly into T.O.s hands just recently. He makes quick reads and gets the ball out and hits his receivers in stride. Reminds me of Joe Montana. How else do you describe someone so limited physically but so gifted in production when he's in the game?

That throw to TO was the prettiest pass I've ever seen a Seahawk throw.