Sign in to follow this  
ZeroTolerance

Jags sign Bortles to 3 years, $54M

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22569038/jacksonville-jaguars-reach-3-year-extension-qb-blake-bortles

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Jacksonville Jaguars are giving quarterback Blake Bortles a new three-year, $54 million deal, worth up to $66.5 million with incentives, tying him to Jacksonville through the 2020 season, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The deal includes $26.5 million in guaranteed money.

Bortles was due to make $19.053 million in 2018 after the team picked up his fifth-year option last May.

I like it. Give him a couple extra years of security, but the team has a chance to get rid of him pretty easily. Looks like it surmounts to a 2-year prove it deal.

• Like 1

I like it. Give him a couple extra years of security, but the team has a chance to get rid of him pretty easily. Looks like it surmounts to a 2-year prove it deal.

Yeah good move.

These teams get stuck between a rock and a hard place. Got a QB that isnt one of the best but maybe hes serviceable. That puts him ahead of at least 15 starting QBs so you gotta do what it takes to keep him

Yeah good move.

These teams get stuck between a rock and a hard place. Got a QB that isnt one of the best but maybe hes serviceable. That puts him ahead of at least 15 starting QBs so you gotta do what it takes to keep him

Yeah, Bortles looks like he COULD be in the category of QBs who can get you a title, but only if you surround him with a hell of a lot of talent.

And it's really hard to get/keep that talent when you're paying the QB 20 million a year.

Really good situation developing in JAX as far as building a championship contending team. I really believe they are only a few minor pieces away from a Super Bowl. The offense is set in stone minus an athletic TE who could open things up. That should be a top priority in the draft or free agency (Trey Burton would be a nice signing). Dede Westbrook never materialized into what many thought he would be in his rookie season but Keelan Cole more than showed up. If the young guys continue to develop and you bring back a healthy Allen Robinson to go with Fournette and that outstanding young defense, they really have a team that can compete for the next few years. Bortles holds a special place in my heart after losing Rodgers and getting me a fantasy championship. He had that amazing stretch late in the year and played well in the playoffs. Good move by both sides.

Probably the worst move of the off-season. Bottles is costing the team a chance at a SB. He is putrid. Awful. One of the 3 worst established starters in the league. It's not my team I root for at least

No it's not the team you root for, there better then that team.

No it's not the team you root for, there better then that team.

Way better. But I know for a fact they cannot win with Bottles. The Bears can win in the future with Trubisky.

Actually the fact is that they where one game away from a super bowl with Bortles.

Fact two is there is no fact too back up that the Bears can win in the furture with Trubisky.

Somehow I feel like last season Bortles was like that girl you sorta thought might turn out cute and spent that one summer peaking before it all went to hell

Somehow I feel like last season Bortles was like that girl you sorta thought might turn out cute and spent that one summer peaking before it all went to hell

I think he may be like the girl that made some bad choices but rights the ship and suddenly shes a catch

I think they the Jags need too get him some help m

Wr and Te.

They can win with him, they just showed it.

Actually the fact is that they where one game away from a super bowl with Bortles.

Fact two is there is no fact too back up that the Bears can win in the furture with Trubisky.

Exactly, the Jags didn't make the super bowl either. Bortles was a huge reason why.

I think he may be like the girl that made some bad choices but rights the ship and suddenly shes a catch

I hope you are right, it will make for some good football.

One thing Bortles is not:

A good fantasy QB.

He threw for more than 1 TD in only 5 of his 19 games played last year. And only more than 2 TDs in 2 of those games.

Also, if his RB goes down, could be a long year for the Jags.

One thing Bortles is not:

A good fantasy QB.

He threw for more than 1 TD in only 5 of his 19 games played last year. And only more than 2 TDs in 2 of those games.

Also, if his RB goes down, could be a long year for the Jags.

Maybe he is channeling Jimmy Smith

I don't get it. There are a lot of factors that lead to the Jags going deep into the playoffs, but it was not Bortles. Just because a team has success, it doesn't mean it was because the qb was good. Lol in Kapernick made it to a SB.... look at him now.

I don't get it. There are a lot of factors that lead to the Jags going deep into the playoffs, but it was not Bortles. Just because a team has success, it doesn't mean it was because the qb was good. Lol in Kapernick made it to a SB.... look at him now.

So true.

See Eli Manning, Brad Johnson, and Trent Dilfer. They won superbowls but only because the teams around them carried them. Bortles has a way of dominating the losses though. Not sure he can be consistent enough to let the team win without his screwing things up.

Yeah look at those three awfull qbs.

All three won Super Bowls.

It's sad that those teams used those qbs.

Bortles isn't a great QB, but the Jags do think he's a fit for their team, they need too get him a wr and or a te.

And I think his signing his a sign on them doing so.

Yeah look at those three awfull qbs.

All three won Super Bowls.

It's sad that those teams used those qbs.

Bortles isn't a great QB, but the Jags do think he's a fit for their team, they need too get him a wr and or a te.

And I think his signing his a sign on them doing so.

A bad qb is a fit for a team? Thats a messed up way to look at it. Well this guy is terrible, but he has been here for w few years soo..... fvck it. It's not like we really have a shot anyway!

That's the way the Jags must be looking at it, after all they did pay him.

So you can give them a call and let them know how you feel, good luck

That's the way the Jags must be looking at it, after all they did pay him.

So you can give them a call and let them know how you feel, good luck

Yeah, they paid him to the tune of a $10 million dollar cap hit this year. They can and would make him a backup if something better comes along. Then cut him in the offseason if it works out.