Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

Fun with the boy today.

So I cast our line in this little Creek next to the park we go to. Using a fake worm we got 3 or 4 small bass. I take the bobber off and drag the bottom and caught a huge crawfish.

I thought. Hmm. Kinda odd but ok. I stand up and slip my lenses down only to have it dawn on me that there has to be 100 crawfish of varying sizes in this spot in the creek. So I waded on in and caught a handful​for him.

He loved it. I let one bite me and showed him how it hangs. I was kinda worried but he had one latch on and he just smiled Nd said look dad it hangs.

Im not joking though. They were literally everywhere. I just had to stand still and one would come close as part of their movement. And the water was flowing quick enough that when they kicked up dirt moving it cleared quickly.

Not what I was trying to do but damn if he didn't have a blast.

• Like 1

Also I tossed them back. But learned after they are an invasive species with no limit. We are gonna catch and trap some for a dinner.

I love those days. A few weeks ago I took Friday off and brought my son to the playground, Dino museum, Chuck E Cheese, McDonald's and the playground in one day - left the house at 10 AM back home after 6. It was great to get that kid if time and just spoil him with nonstop fun and attention. Nothing in life makes me happier than my boy. :cheers:

Also I tossed them back. But learned after they are an invasive species with no limit. We are gonna catch and trap some for a dinner.

I was gonna say...

If i knew as a boy we could have ate those suckers, I would have been eating crawfish every damn day that I could in Colorado.

We had Carter Lake, which was known for just being infested with what we called crawdads. They would literally eat your trout right off the Stringer. Pissed us off something fierce. Nobody knew we could catch those f****** and eat them. Granted, they don't exactly look tasty from the outside.

So I cast our line in this little Creek next to the park we go to. Using a fake worm we got 3 or 4 small bass. I take the bobber off and drag the bottom and caught a huge crawfish.

I thought. Hmm. Kinda odd but ok. I stand up and slip my lenses down only to have it dawn on me that there has to be 100 crawfish of varying sizes in this spot in the creek. So I waded on in and caught a handful​for him.

He loved it. I let one bite me and showed him how it hangs. I was kinda worried but he had one latch on and he just smiled Nd said look dad it hangs.

Im not joking though. They were literally everywhere. I just had to stand still and one would come close as part of their movement. And the water was flowing quick enough that when they kicked up dirt moving it cleared quickly.

Not what I was trying to do but damn if he didn't have a blast.

Where is this ????

A little creek you can get Bass AND crawfish ???

Where is this ????

'i'll take a guess that it's very close to Jackson, Michigan

I thought he was a Michigan dude or maybe an update NYer. Mixing up with someone else.

Crawfish in Michigan ??

Sounds like blast man. You really want to rock his worlld? Bring him crabbing. You set up two poles. Run a line end to end six feet above the water. Attach six wires of basic string and attach frozen turkey necks. Make sure the lines are long enough to touch the bottom. Let them sit for a bit. Get a couple of big nets that you'd use to catch fish.

When you walk out to catch them, slowly pull the lines up. We used to do this in Grand Isle. There would be a dozen blue crabs on every line. Scoop em up with the nets. Boiled crabs every night. The kids loved it.

The best was floundering. Get a broomstick and put a nail on the end.use flashlights and walk the shoes during low tide at night. They hide underneath the sand. When you'd get one, it was so much fun. More dinner.

Look into that. So much fun.

Where is this ????

don't get me wrong. The bass were tiny. But we're fishing with a spider Man pole with probably 2lb line. The crawfish though are massive. We went back today and caught 18 of them. All fuckingg monsters. Im gonna eat them tonight.

Great guess. About 10 from Jackson.

Sounds like blast man. You really want to rock his worlld? Bring him crabbing. You set up two poles. Run a line end to end six feet above the water. Attach six wires of basic string and attach frozen turkey necks. Make sure the lines are long enough to touch the bottom. Let them sit for a bit. Get a couple of big nets that you'd use to catch fish.

When you walk out to catch them, slowly pull the lines up. We used to do this in Grand Isle. There would be a dozen blue crabs on every line. Scoop em up with the nets. Boiled crabs every night. The kids loved it.

The best was floundering. Get a broomstick and put a nail on the end.use flashlights and walk the shoes during low tide at night. They hide underneath the sand. When you'd get one, it was so much fun. More dinner.

Look into that. So much fun.

this is absolutely something I'll check k out. For sure.