Sign in to follow this  
Filthy Fernadez

Voter ID suppresses minorities from voting?

We need 1) voter ID requirements, and 2) districts fairly drawn.

Libs don't seem to want the 1st, Cons don't seem to want the 2nd.

Round and round we go.

:dunno:

They need an idea to collect welfare and buy malt liquor and blunts, amirite? :doublethumbsup:

• Like 1

What about Obamacare? You need an ID for that, right?

I have absolutely no idea. I would assume Medicaid applies to the poor more than Obamacare?

I honestly don't know how any of that works.

You know, like a First Amendment Rights card. If those cost money, you should have to choose between a steak dinner or the right to free speech.

Do you see how ridiculous this sounds?

2nd Amendment should require no ID, no background check, no nuttin' to buy a gun.

See how ridiculous that sounds?

pppssssst........ <taps on shoulder> Amendments do not provide carte blanche protection.

Well, we were told millions of people who had no health benefits before Obamacare now have them. Who got left out?

Ok so? None of them had ID? They were ALL disenfranchised? What the hell are you talking about?

We need 1) voter ID requirements, and 2) districts fairly drawn.

Libs don't seem to want the 1st, Cons don't seem to want the 2nd.

Round and round we go.

:dunno:

The part you are leaving out is that unless every citizen has equal access and opportunity to have a voting ID, is disenfranchises a portion of the population.

Same can be said about crappy districting.

So the left wants fair and balanced elections, while the GOP does not.

2) I can give money to someone else with an ID to buy beer.

Good point. I'm sure I have no reason to be concerned that an individual who would knowingly break the law to buy beer might do the same to vote when they shouldn't be able to.

2nd Amendment should require no ID, no background check, no nuttin' to buy a gun.

See how ridiculous that sounds?

pppssssst........ <taps on shoulder> Amendments do not provide carte blanche protection.

That is a strange equivalency to make considering guns can, you know, kill people, but true nonetheless.

That said, my point is still valid. You should not have to choose between spending your money on enabling voting vs. other things. it should be as easy as possible to do, and the gov'ts job should be to make voting easier, not harder.

The part you are leaving out is that unless every citizen has equal access and opportunity to have a voting ID, is disenfranchises a portion of the population.

You think only the GOP is in favor of gerrymandering?

I guess Im failing to understand how every citizen doesnt have equal access to get an ID, just like I dont understand why we cant draw districts without manipulating the boundaries?

You know, like a First Amendment Rights card. If those cost money, you should have to choose between a steak dinner or the right to free speech.

Do you see how ridiculous this sounds?

I don't need that card to know the first amendment rights of people here, including me. I choose the steak dinner. But if it came down between the steak dinner and driver's license and the ability to cast a vote, I would choose the latter for sure.

But let's not overkill on this. Money was only 1 part of the issue. I didn't intend it to be the focus. No reason to name call and stuff.

You think only the GOP is in favor of gerrymandering?

Generally speaking, I think gerrymandering benefits the GOP more than the LIBS, Yes. Obviously there are outliers.

Ok so? None of them had ID? They were ALL disenfranchised? What the hell are you talking about?

Well, if they didn't have health insurance or Medicaid before Obamacare, they supposedly have it now. An ID is required for both. So either Obamacare didn't get to the people that it's claimed to have (the disenfranchised/poor) or they have a valid ID. One or the other. It can't be both.

Well, if they didn't have health insurance or Medicaid before Obamacare, they supposedly have it now. An ID is required for both. So either Obamacare didn't get to the people that it's claimed to have (the disenfranchised/poor) or they have a valid ID. One or the other. It can't be both.

This makes no sense. At all.

But at this point I will just nod my head and say "yes HT" cause I dont have the energy man

Generally speaking, I think gerrymandering benefits the GOP more than the LIBS, Yes. Obviously there are outliers.

At best, that is a recent development. IOW, the Dems are outraged by gerrymandering at the moment because the other side is doing it better, but when they were "winning|" the gerrymandering game they were all for it:

https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/california-forum/article177281401.html

This makes no sense. At all.

But at this point I will just nod my head and say "yes HT" cause I dont have the energy man

It doesn't make sense that ID is required for health insurance and social benefits? Because it is. The very people who voter ID laws supposedly shut out from voting are already in possession of valid ID.

I think we have to allow, perhaps admit, that one side is not worse or better than the other. Until we can agree on this premise i think it is really tough to have productive discussion about the political climate.

• Like 1

I think we have to allow, perhaps admit, that one side is not worse or better than the other. Until we can agree on this premise i think it is really tough to have productive discussion about the political climate.

Absolutely. Hope to live to see that happen one day. We seem to be heading further and further in the other direction over the last 15-20 years.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/republicans-house-gerrymandering_us_5bbeacc0e4b0b27cf47a6d5c

WASHINGTON ― Democrats are increasingly confident they’ll take back the House after the midterm elections. But if the politicians and pundits are wrong, there may be one simple reason why: gerrymandering.

Gerrymandering is nothing new. Drawing politically advantageous district lines has been a staple of American politics for more than 200 years, even before then-Massachusetts Gov. Elbridge Gerry approved a new district for the state Senate in 1812 that resembled a salamander. (We got the word gerrymander by mashing together Gerry’s last name and “salamander.”)

But gerrymandering is getting more sophisticated, as mapmakers get more ambitious with the number of seats they target, as the districts they draw get more ridiculous-looking, and as the technology they use gets better.

Not a fan of this, by any means

From the article linked above.

In Ratf**ked, Daley lays out how Republicans targeted state legislatures in 2010 with the aim of redrawing the congressional seats and creating a “red firewall” that could withstand demographic shifts and make it much more difficult for Democrats to hold the House of Representatives. Remarkably, for the bargain price of around $30 million, Republicans were able to flip 20 state chambers from Democratic to Republican in 2010, giving the GOP control of both the upper and lower houses in 25 states.

It was in those states that Republicans then proceeded to draw more gerrymandered maps.

I think it's really hard to have a productive discussion with someone who flip flops as much as you.

I think it's really hard to have a productive discussion with someone who flip flops as much as you.

This is what i am talking about, speaking truths, whether they support your personal bias or not, is not flipping. You inclination to assign my posts to one side or the other is evidence that your bias pulls you in one direction. You cherry pick posts that support your bias, conveniently ignoring the many posts where I hold both ideologies accountable. It might feel good in the short term, to implement confirmation bias, but long term is a losing proposition. Holding individuals, and groups behaviors, accountable is what we need to be doing.

So again, until we can at least admit that all politicians are both capable of, and actively participating, in many of the issues we have with them, its just throwing mud.

• Like 1

The left can't even produce anecdotal evidence of people being kept from the voting booth because they can't get an ID. American citizens cannot function in our society without one, unless they willingly decide not to. No one is keeping them from getting one. Now, illegal aliens can function without ID, but they can't vote, right?

• Like 1

Just blows you away, something so simple.. Makes all the sense in the world but..

Today's left folks,on full display.

Look at the pile on from the lefty-loosies. Nice. Yet noone can answer why there was an argument earlier about the poor not being able to afford an ID but can afford booze or smokes or lotttery tickets....

MDC is just an old man living life through the eagles.

You're gonna have to prove the ID-less people are drinking, smoking and playing the lottery, which is predicated on a bunch of bigoted assumptions. Maybe we can use grocery and convenience store receipts to determine who should be able to vote?

So, the bottom line is liberals think that no one should have to show ID to vote. Do I have that right?

That the disenfranchised, that are supposedly unable to get an ID, have one. Who says it doesn't have a picture? Every benefit ID I've ever seen has a picture. And I've seen thousands.

You haven't seen enough...Medicare and Medicaid cards don't, for example. And there isn't a designated "Obamacare" ID.

You haven't seen enough...Medicare and Medicaid cards don't, for example. And there isn't a designated "Obamacare" ID.

NYS benefit cards, which cover Medicaid, have a picture. Again I ask, no one should have to show ID to vote, is that what is being said?

NYS benefit cards, which cover Medicaid, have a picture. Again I ask, no one should have to show ID to vote, is that what is being said?

Look up Medicare and Medicaid cards on Google.

The argument is voting should be as accessible as possible, and voter ID laws limit accessibility, disproportionately so for some groups.

Stated another way, many of us believe voter disenfranchisement is a much bigger problem than voter fraud. Moreover, ID laws do little to reduce more common reasons for election fraud - absentee ballots, duplicate voting, felons voting, etc. And they cost money to implement.

Look up Medicare and Medicaid cards on Google.

The argument is voting should be as accessible as possible, and voter ID laws limit accessibility, disproportionately so for some groups.

Stated another way, many of us believe voter disenfranchisement is a much bigger problem than voter fraud. Moreover, ID laws do little to reduce more common reasons for election fraud - absentee ballots, duplicate voting, felons voting, etc. And they cost money to implement.

So once again I ask, no one should have to show ID? Same rules for everyone, right?

Pen you are just playing devils advocate right? You dont actually think its a good idea to not have to show ID when you vote right?

Pen you are just playing devils advocate right? You dont actually think its a good idea to not have to show ID when you vote right?

Yeah pen, admit you are playing devil's advocate, cause nobody could seriously disagree with iam90sbaby. :D

Yeah pen, admit you are playing devil's advocate, cause nobody could seriously disagree with iam90sbaby. :D

This isnt even a logical discussion. We should be discussing the best ways to implement proper voter ID laws, not why we shouldnt have them at all. You want to vote? Prove youre a citizen.. its that simple.

This isnt even a logical discussion. We should be discussing the best ways to implement proper voter ID laws, not why we shouldnt have them at all. You want to vote? Prove youre a citizen.. its that simple.

There is so much unintentional awesomeness in this post. :lol:

You have to wonder what other essential services these people go without and maybe we should concentrate on getting them the help available. But typical liberals just want their vote, nothing more.

It doesn't make sense that ID is required for health insurance and social benefits? Because it is. The very people who voter ID laws supposedly shut out from voting are already in possession of valid ID.

Yet you do not need a photo id. Just your birth certificate, SS card, electric bill, pay stub, ect.....

Thanks for being the righty to finally admit the Reps are intentionally disenfranchising people with a legal right to vote. :thumbsup:

I've consistently said that I'm opposed to the whole "get out to vote" movement. I don't want to encourage anyone to vote. I want people who care about and educate themselves about issues to vote. I don't want Dems to drive vans to collect homeless people and give them a pack of smokes to pull the D levers. Maybe it's just me but I don't think that is the idea of the precious responsibility we have as a voting democratic nation.

I keep hearing about the cost of getting documentation to prove you are a citizen to get a voter ID card. Tough. You don't have a birth certificate or SSN so we should just take your word for it that you are a citizen? I don't think so. If it matters enough to you then you'll figure out how to get the money to prove you are a citizen. If not, step aside and let the rest of us (Dem or Rep) decide.

It's not that complicated. :dunno:

I've consistently said that I'm opposed to the whole "get out to vote" movement. I don't want to encourage anyone to vote. I want people who care about and educate themselves about issues to vote. I don't want Dems to drive vans to collect homeless people and give them a pack of smokes to pull the D levers. Maybe it's just me but I don't think that is the idea of the precious responsibility we have as a voting democratic nation.

I keep hearing about the cost of getting documentation to prove you are a citizen to get a voter ID card. Tough. You don't have a birth certificate or SSN so we should just take your word for it that you are a citizen? I don't think so. If it matters enough to you then you'll figure out how to get the money to prove you are a citizen. If not, step aside and let the rest of us (Dem or Rep) decide.

It's not that complicated. :dunno:

Most so called educated voters are just pulling the lever for their side anyway. I know several people who watch hours of news and political coverage, then get in the booth and vote down the line for their party.

Most so called educated voters are just pulling the lever for their side anyway. I know several people who watch hours of news and political coverage, then get in the booth and vote down the line for their party.

I don't particularly agree with that either, but I stop short of disenfranchizing people. If you get your ass to the polls, are registered to vote, and can prove you are you, go for it even if I disagree. But I don't agree with dragging people to the polls on either side.