Sign in to follow this  
vuduchile

Near miss

I was driving 55 on a US hwy last night on the way home from the hotel. Wife and kids were in the truck with me. We were about 2-300 ft from an intersection when a car pulled in front of us, trying to go the opposite way.

I saw the t-bone happening in my mind as I hit the brakes, swerved right then back left to avoid another idling car. That move sent me into into a ditch, forcing me to turn harder left which put us back up on the highway just in time for us to be t-boned by an oncoming truck. I hit the gas and shot across the highway as the truck slammed on his brakes missing my tail end by inches.

I have no idea how I missed that first guy. All involved were lucky it played out the way it did with no injuries and zero car-to-car contact.

Fock the mega millions. My family and I won the life lottery last night.

• Like 2

Congrats on not having anything happen.

One time, I was driving through a blizzard along the interstate when I hit a patch of black ice and my car did a full 360. I hit nothing. No cars around Everything was fine. I continued on my way going 10 MPH slower than before.

• Like 1

Good to hear you are all safe. It's amazing the things we take for granted until tragedy strikes.

Also, you should play all your birthdays and yesterday's date tonight.

• Like 1

I was driving 55 on a US hwy last night on the way home from the hotel. Wife and kids were in the truck with me. We were about 2-300 ft from an intersection when a car pulled in front of us, trying to go the opposite way.

I saw the t-bone happening in my mind as I hit the brakes, swerved right then back left to avoid another idling car. That move sent me into into a ditch, forcing me to turn harder left which put us back up on the highway just in time for us to be t-boned by an oncoming truck. I hit the gas and shot across the highway as the truck slammed on his brakes missing my tail end by inches.

I have no idea how I missed that first guy. All involved were lucky it played out the way it did with no injuries and zero car-to-car contact.

Scares the shiot out of ya, don't it?

• Like 1

Scares the shiot out of ya, don't it?

Yep. We were only 3 miles from home but I had to get out and walk around for awhile before I could go on.

I also didnt wanna drive to work this morning.

Congrats on not having anything happen.

One time, I was driving through a blizzard along the interstate when I hit a patch of black ice and my car did a full 360. I hit nothing. No cars around Everything was fine. I continued on my way going 10 MPH slower than before.

Its sort of amazing that there arent hundreds of accidents per day on the roads I routinely travel in MI.

Good to hear you are all safe. It's amazing the things we take for granted until tragedy strikes.

Also, you should play all your birthdays and yesterday's date tonight.

Theres an idea.

Yep. We were only 3 miles from home but I had to get out and walk around for awhile before I could go on.

I also didnt wanna drive to work this morning.

Do you have PTSD? :unsure:

Glad you weren't injured.

• Like 1

FOCK!!! :shocking:

I'm so glad you & your Family survived. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Do you have PTSD? :unsure:

Glad you weren't injured.

Im definitely out of sorts.

If I didnt have to drive home later, Id take a three hour drinking lunch break.

I tried......

:doublethumbsup:

I call bullsheet.

Who drives 55?

I can't. :music_guitarred:

• Like 2

I have mentioned this before. I should have died on a rainy night in Conyers Ga. Sitting at a red light I was crushed by a drunk driver that never even stopped. He crashed into the back of my truck and just kept on going down the road after.

It pushed me into oncoming traffic. I was tboned. Spun. Tboned again and rolled into a used car parking lot. I was in a Chevy S10 kingcab they had to cut me out of. Broke my foot and some fingers and felt like someone beat me up.

I should have died. I spent the night in the hospital.

Drunk guy was found passed out not far from the accident. up vehicle still running.

• Like 1

I call bullsheet.

Who drives 55?

I can't. :music_guitarred:

Im actually pretty strict about maintaining the speed limit when I have the kids with me.

5 mph cushion sometimes, but thats about it.

I have mentioned this before. I should have died on a rainy night in Conyers Ga. Sitting at a red light I was crushed by a drunk driver that never even stopped. He crashed into the back of my truck and just kept on going down the road after.

It pushed me into oncoming traffic. I was tboned. Spun. Tboned again and rolled into a used car parking lot. I was in a Chevy S10 kingcab they had to cut me out of. Broke my foot and some fingers and felt like someone beat me up.

I should have died. I spent the night in the hospital.

Drunk guy was found passed out not far from the accident. ###### up vehicle still running.

Holy smokes. You are fortunate to have survived with relatively minor injuries.

I figure the guy who pulled in front of me had to be drunk, high or completely unaware that I was coming. No way an unimpaired driver whos paying attention pulls out with me that close.

We almost missed out on 2 or 3 marginally acceptable posts.

• Like 1

I figure the guy who pulled in front of me had to be drunk, high or completely unaware that I was coming. No way an unimpaired driver whos paying attention pulls out with me that close.

I often look back on it and I am amazed. People die from less forceful impacts all the time. I wonder how injured I would have been had I seen it coming. I was blindsided.

i havent owned a car in almost 15 years.

im a pure cyclist and that kinda crap happens to me at least twice a day. keeps me alive and on my toes.

god bless your family.

• Like 1

Im definitely out of sorts.

If I didnt have to drive home later, Id take a three hour drinking lunch break.

Yeah, that kind of thing messes you up for a good long while.

im a pure cyclist and that kinda crap happens to me at least twice a day. keeps me alive and on my toes.

god bless your family.

Well, if you'd stop peddling on the highway it would prolly never happen.

Well, if you'd stop peddling on the highway it would prolly never happen.

hey, im in a hurry, man. :mad:

I don't follow :ninja: Maybe because I still don't really drive..but trying to picture what was happening and I don't get it. Glad you all are fine. If anyone wants to resummarize..:thumbsup:

I don't follow :ninja: Maybe because I still don't really drive..but trying to picture what was happening and I don't get it. Glad you all are fine. If anyone wants to resummarize..:thumbsup:

Im driving down a road at 55 mph

A car pulls out in front of me about 300 ft away

I brake and swerve, barely missing him then see that Im headed toward another car so I swerve back the other way.

I end up back on the road in front of another truck coming straight at us I hit the gas to get out of his way.

This all happened in the span of about 3-5 seconds. Maybe less.

Im driving down a road at 55 mph

A car pulls out in front of me about 300 ft away

I brake and swerve, barely missing him then see that Im headed toward another car so I swerve back the other way.

I end up back on the road in front of another truck coming straight at us I hit the gas to get out of his way.

This all happened in the span of about 3-5 seconds. Maybe less.

I'll refrain from asking some further clarifying questions :ninja:

From what I do understand though, sounds really crazy. Great reminder to appreciate the time we have.

From what I do understand though, sounds really crazy. Great reminder to appreciate the time we have.

You can ask whatever you want. But its late so I may not answer til tomorrow.

Look at meeeeeee

Honestly glad youre ok for the sake of the kids and the fact that I dont wish harm on anyone.

• Like 1

god bless your family.

Not as bad as Vudu's story, but close calls are far more frequent on a bike. If motorists had any idea how vulnerable cyclists are, maybe they wouldn't be so aggro and impatient.

I'm too stoopid to picture exactly what happened in my head too. :(

I think we need one of these like they use in traffic court.

• Like 1

:D was thinking similar last night (maybe animate it a bit too :ninja: :thumbsup:)

Just passed a 5 car accident in this exact spot with 2 cars overturned. Emergency crews all over the scene. No word yet on injuries or fatalities.

There needs to be a traffic light there.

Just passed a 5 car accident in this exact spot with 2 cars overturned. Emergency crews all over the scene. No word yet on injuries or fatalities.

There needs to be a traffic light there.

Serves them right for driving upside down.

• Like 1

They just had me point to different parts on the teddy bear.