Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

Future Boston

So I was at a conference yesterday and heard a speaker on social justice. It was very inspirational and I really appreciated her efforts to integrate different cultures and classes of people. She talked about taking inner-city youth from Boston (Asian/ Black/ Hispanic) down into the Appalachians to spend time with a white family who were pumping water from a well, and the inner-city youth were amazed these "white people" had to pump their water from the ground and didn't have cable. It was a very eye-opening experience for the kids and helped them see there are class differences perhaps more than there are ethnic differences.

So it got me thinking, as I never have been one to feel like I'm racist. And perhaps I've said before I'm not racist because I dated a black girl in middle school. And in a middle school of maybe 500 kids, she would have been one of probably around 10 or so.

But what I realized this week is that because I feel fair or just personally, I have more of a moral obligation to ensure that others are treated fairly and just to help everyone in society have an opportunity to improve their individual situation. Especially working in the non-profit world where we are trying to ensure no one in our region goes hungry.

I sort of feel like a different person just because I heard Malia Lazu speak. Now I guess I have to go out and take action on behalf of those feelings.

So I was at a conference yesterday and heard a speaker on social justice. It was very inspirational and I really appreciated her efforts to integrate different cultures and classes of people. She talked about taking inner-city youth from Boston (Asian/ Black/ Hispanic) down into the Appalachians to spend time with a white family who were pumping water from a well, and the inner-city youth were amazed these "white people" had to pump their water from the ground and didn't have cable. It was a very eye-opening experience for the kids and helped them see there are class differences perhaps more than there are ethnic differences.

So it got me thinking, as I never have been one to feel like I'm racist. And perhaps I've said before I'm not racist because I dated a black girl in middle school. And in a middle school of maybe 500 kids, she would have been one of probably around 10 or so.

But what I realized this week is that because I feel fair or just personally, I have more of a moral obligation to ensure that others are treated fairly and just to help everyone in society have an opportunity to improve their individual situation. Especially working in the non-profit world where we are trying to ensure no one in our region goes hungry.

I sort of feel like a different person just because I heard Malia Lazu speak. Now I guess I have to go out and take action on behalf of those feelings.

Sho Nuff can teach you to speak black. He knows that language.

There is no shortage of poor people in this country. While you cant fix it all, each of us can make small impacts, every day and every week.

Fortunately, as with the people of Appalachia, not every one believes they should conduct violence because they did not get their way, or something happens that they don't like.

There is no shortage of poor people in this country. While you cant fix it all, each of us can make small impacts, every day and every week.

Fortunately, as with the people of Appalachia, not every one believes they should conduct violence because they did not get their way, or something happens that they don't like.

But America spends over $1 Trillion a year on welfare how is this possible? It looks like the liberal policies on poverty are a failure but they have made many people rich. Unfortunately those people were never poor.

I hope MDC sees this because he believes there are a lot more poor blacks in this country than poor whites. What a tool!

But America spends over $1 Trillion a year on welfare how is this possible? It looks like the liberal policies on poverty are a failure but they have made many people rich. Unfortunately those people were never poor.

I hope MDC sees this because he believes there are a lot more poor blacks in this country than poor whites. What a tool!

Does that 1 trillion include corporate welfare? FYI, I'm against spending that amount on either.

CH I'm not in the biz of politics anymore. I've moved to the non-profit world and get to talk to legislators about the benefits of the SNAP program now :dunno: