Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

Anyone play the 2016 M2 driver? I think KSB mentioned he did?

I want to pick one up and found a good deal on a brand new one but I'm already a bit of a high ball hitter and I believe the stock Fuji shaft is a high launch shaft so wondering if anyone has played the original M2 with the stock Fuji shaft or the original M2 with any of the other shaft options....

I have a few other shafts that I could pull I just need to put the correct adapter on the end of them for example I like the Matrix ozik shaft in my RocketBallz but the RocketBallz adapter is not compatible with the M2 Club head it wasn't until the RBZ Stage 2 that TaylorMade produced all the adapters to be compatible

I understand you can point and click to get the yardages to certain bunkers and Hazards and trees....

This is exactly why for me.......... 70% of the time, I'm shooting things other than the pin 1st - meaning I'm shooting the Trouble first, it's what I'm most concerned about...... My #1 thing I prolly shoot the most - top of the bunkers I need to clear.

This is exactly why for me.......... 70% of the time, I'm shooting things other than the pin 1st - meaning I'm shooting the Trouble first, it's what I'm most concerned about...... My #1 thing I prolly shoot the most - top of the bunkers I need to clear.

Sure, it saves time in getting yardages to pins, greenside hazards, etc, but that information is mostly available to you on the course. But off the tee when I need to get a yardage to the dogleg, or to lay up or clear a fairway bunker, or to a lake up and on the right....thats almost where I feel it helps the most.

PGA Tour should allow them. That would speed up play a decent amount I think.

i agree it would speed up play a little bit on PGA but i think those guys have such extensive notes in their yardage books that a lot of it ends up boiing down to debating on a club and the wind " you like a hard 8 or smooth 7?" and youll still have those talks.

as for point and shoot yardages to fairway bunker A on the left or harard short of the green on a layup, ive just always been able to rely on my eyes and say, "okay a good 3h puts that stream in play so i'll hit a 5 iron and be safe for a wedge in.... or okay fairway bunker on the left is in play with driver so I either hit 3 wood or 3H or I hit driver with the expectaton that I pipe it down the middle and that bunker doesn't matter"

I can see where it comes in handy but I'm not worried about Pins either. knowing the yardages to front, middle, back without looking for a yardage marker on the course is enough quick infor for me. My eyes do the rest. Can't imagine I would need to know the exact yardage to certain danger THAT badly that I would shell out 300+ for one of those. I can more or less know whats in play or not.

but i own one now so maybe ill keep it. :dunno:

Yardage shooter slow down Am play jn my opinion. Sure if everyone actually was good enough for them to matter or used them in timely fashion it may help. But that is impossible. I cant stand the things.

They are handy I suppose at times. But if I am on a course I have never played before I will use a free app that is almost as good anyway.

Anyone over a 5 handicap should find yardage while others hit and then step up and hit the ball. Unless you are in a good tourney there is no need to over analyze every shot.

Sure, it saves time in getting yardages to pins, greenside hazards, etc, but that information is mostly available to you on the course. But off the tee when I need to get a yardage to the dogleg, or to lay up or clear a fairway bunker, or to a lake up and on the right....thats almost where I feel it helps the most.

I agree - like I said, 70% of the time I'm shooting something other than the pin.

I want to pick one up and found a good deal on a brand new one but I'm already a bit of a high ball hitter and I believe the stock Fuji shaft is a high launch shaft so wondering if anyone has played the original M2 with the stock Fuji shaft or the original M2 with any of the other shaft options....

I have a few other shafts that I could pull I just need to put the correct adapter on the end of them for example I like the Matrix ozik shaft in my RocketBallz but the RocketBallz adapter is not compatible with the M2 Club head it wasn't until the RBZ Stage 2 that TaylorMade produced all the adapters to be compatible

I have the M1. I like the adjustability, and I have to say of all the drivers I've owned with adjustability features, this one creates any outcome you could possibly want. It's touchy, in fact. Launch angle options are huge; flight path outcomes are anything you could want.

Yardage shooter slow down Am play jn my opinion. Sure if everyone actually was good enough for them to matter or used them in timely fashion it may help. But that is impossible. I cant stand the things.

They are handy I suppose at times. But if I am on a course I have never played before I will use a free app that is almost as good anyway.

Anyone over a 5 handicap should find yardage while others hit and then step up and hit the ball. Unless you are in a good tourney there is no need to over analyze every shot.

I'd take rangerfinder golfers over phone app golfers any day..... Talk about slowing the pace of play down, nothing does that more than people on their phones - including gps apps... I've also found them to be much less accurate compared to rangefinders, not to mention battery drains on your phone...... Plus, like I said, they can't tell me a lot of the stuff I'm shooting at.

Never owned one, but have tested it several times... Certainly more forgiving than the M1, but also much higher spinning. If you hit a high ball already, you will def want to look at a low spinning shaft of some kind... I can't remember what specs the stock Fujis come with, I want to say they have a low-mid spin rate, but I could be off on that.

Overall, a great club. Not Ping forgiving, but certainly forgiving enuff for a bomber stick like this.

I'd take rangerfinder golfers over phone app golfers any day..... Talk about slowing the pace of play down, nothing does that more than people on their phones - including gps apps... I've also found them to be much less accurate compared to rangefinders, not to mention battery drains on your phone...... Plus, like I said, they can't tell me a lot of the stuff I'm shooting at.

Meh the time I use an app the phone is sitting right in the pocket. I tap it, it has yardage before I even get out. It has bunkers and water. Perhaps not quite as accurate as a 350 dollar range finder, but at a 9 handicap I am not accurate enough for that to matter. If I hit 10 good PWs they are not all going the same distance. Roughly sure. And the app I use is roughly correct.

Point about the range finder is you have 18 handicaps out there like they are duck hunting on every single shot like it will help them. When in reality if they just step up with a rough yardage and focus on just making a good swing, they will always play better.

If you are good enough for it to matter then go for it. Problem is 95% of the people out there are not, and it just wastes time. I won't use anything if the course is marked halfway decent. I'm out there trying to get some fresh air, have fun, and swing well. If I happen to catch the top of a lip of a bunker once in a while, I really don't care.

At my home course we have a short par 4 that is surrounded by 4 bunkers. The one the pin is usually behind has a nice lip on it. I'll be anywhere from 40-60 yards out. I just eyeball it. If I'm so afraid to catch the bunker then I will play for the middle of the green. If I shoot the flag thinking it is 45 yards away but in reality the range finder says 41. Is that going to matter? What am I going to do different? If you are that good then good for you, I wish I could play that well. But I can't, and most can't.

Point about the range finder is you have 18 handicaps out there like they are duck hunting on every single shot like it will help them.

Totally agree there... But there are 2 kinds of 18 handicappers: 1) those that don't care, jump out and hit it...... and then you have 2) those that (no matter what) are going to want a yardage, wind, humidity and barometric reading before they pull the trigger. I'd much rather this guy have a gun to shoot it and move on than walk around looking for a sprinkler head.

Problem of slow play much of the time really boils down to people being too lazy to get out of the cart. Weekend golfers are like women. Everyone needs to see the next shot and talk about it. Forget getting out of the cart and figuring yardage while you buddy hits. That is way too hard for the average golfer.

Problem of slow play much of the time really boils down to people being too lazy to get out of the cart. Weekend golfers are like women. Everyone needs to see the next shot and talk about it. Forget getting out of the cart and figuring yardage while you buddy hits. That is way too hard for the average golfer.

They should make everyone watch a "How to Play Ready Golf" video before they tee off. :thumbsup:

If I shoot the flag thinking it is 45 yards away but in reality the range finder says 41. Is that going to matter? What am I going to do different? If you are that good then good for you, I wish I could play that well. But I can't, and most can't.

:thumbsup:

One of my golf buddies has a range finder that he uses ALL the time, even on our home course. I'm an okay golfer at best, and he's worse than I am, but he'll be "You're 137 to the front and 142 to the pin."

"So basically I should hit that club that goes anywhere from 130 to 150 depending on how crappy I hit it and in what direction is anyone's guess? And, by the way, I had this same shot YESTERDAY. But hey, thanks for the help."

Totally agree there... But there are 2 kinds of 18 handicappers: 1) those that don't care, jump out and hit it...... and then you have 2) those that (no matter what) are going to want a yardage, wind, humidity and barometric reading before they pull the trigger. I'd much rather this guy have a gun to shoot it and move on than walk around looking for a sprinkler head.

Meh walking around looking for a sprinkler head doesn't take a long time. If the course is at least marked 100 150 200 and they are sitting in the middle of one of those, how hard is it to see the 150 and say "meh about 10 yards in front of it"? And then play? 18 handicaps do not have to pace off yardage from marked spots. Does anyone have any idea what a yard looks like? If you play enough golf you can eyeball 10 yards pretty easy. I am a 9 who plays with a 4, 6, and a 7 much of the time. This is how we all play. If we are waiting then someone might pace off 10-15 yards. If someone is in the rough, they will yell over to the others where the 100 or 150 is and then do some quick math and play.

I mean we play for a little money most of the time. But I have ran into very few people who pace off everything or care to know the distance down to the yard. The only guy I have played with who is very hell bent on knowing his yardage is the local pro. His wedge game is the best part of his game and he takes that part serious. So he will range it and maybe even pace it. But he obviously has a clue about how to do all this in a timely fashion and will always be working while others are hitting. So the times I have played with him, I have hardly noticed.

Meh walking around looking for a sprinkler head doesn't take a long time.

It doesn't take any time if you have a rangefinder.

Yep my home course has plenty of creeks crossing the fairways and green guarding bunkers

I just look down at my and see my yardage to the green. Like I said, my eyes are all I need off the tee. I agree with listen2me that too many range finder golfers take too much time getting the yardages to bunkers they need to clear or avoid and then they pull the ball in the woods anyway

I just look down at my ###### and see my yardage to the green. Like I said, my eyes are all I need off the tee. I agree with listen2me that too many range finder golfers take too much time getting the yardages to bunkers they need to clear or avoid and then they pull the ball in the woods anyway

I played my entire life without a range finder before a couple years ago. It sucks when you hit the perfect shot but misjudged the distance

It doesn't take any time if you have a rangefinder.

Maybe. In my experience most of the people who use a range finder tend to be slower golfers. Maybe not because of the finder. But maybe because they are doing all these useless calculations before they get up and miss the green 10 yards to the right anyway.

I played my entire life without a range finder before a couple years ago. It sucks when you hit the perfect shot but misjudged the distance

I mean don't get out of the cart blindfolded and hit the ball. But how good are you to where 3-5 yards changes what you are doing?

I'd love to play with some of you guys. Guys seem like real players.

What happens when you don't hit the perfect shot but it works out better for you anyway? Do you hit every shot pure every time?

No one other than tour pros can look at an exact yardage. Factor the wind. Factor how exactly it will bounces or spin. And hit a shot accordingly.

I walk probably more than 50% of the time. So maybe my experience is different. I have plenty of time while walking up to figure out roughly within 5 yards of where I am.

But for you riders. Do you stop at your buddies ball 7 yards behind yours and watch him? Only to drive up 5 yards grab your gun and do your yardage while it is your turn? Or do you get out while he hits? In this situation I know the exact club I am pulling before he even hits and it even gets to my turn.

Big time consuming things I see:

* People who won't take what they need.... From 100 in, grab a wedge, maybe 2 of them and your putter - see you at the green.

* People, club in hand, waiting to see "who's out".

* People who wait until it's their turn to putt before they start looking at the line.

* Walking around looking for sprinkler heads.

* Looking for lost balls.

* Beer cart (guilty, admitted)

The **** was d ick. People ask what yardage does my d ick say because my GPS is on my belt. So I always know what I've got to the green.

I use my eyes for the other stuff. Very rare do I hit the ball into trouble and have the reaction that I misjudged the distance. Bad hit? Absolutely

Never owned one, but have tested it several times... Certainly more forgiving than the M1, but also much higher spinning. If you hit a high ball already, you will def want to look at a low spinning shaft of some kind... I can't remember what specs the stock Fujis come with, I want to say they have a low-mid spin rate, but I could be off on that.

Overall, a great club. Not Ping forgiving, but certainly forgiving enuff for a bomber stick like this.

That was my reason for asking but I'll probably just test it out with a few different shafts because shaft-head combos are such a fickle thing. They play differently in different heads.

Might get my ozik tipped with the right adapter if I don't like the stock fuji

Anyone else try playing a competitive round of golf while taking lessons? Talk about an exercise in futility

:lol: Yeah, I can see how that would be impossible.

I've never taken lessons, probably because I'm stubborn and want to figure stuff out myself.

I have a very good friend who started golf in earnest when I did - we won back to back Member/Member events in our club as our handicaps were coming down from upper teens - who has spent literally thousands of dollars on equipment and winter trips to McLean, Harmon, Leadbetter - you name it.

He briefly touched a 3.8 index, but it wasn't worth all the money spent. I told him to just practice more. His latest trip, and it's working for him, but not enough to justify the amount he spends on this stuff, is this same-length irons set that was custom made for him. I think he's going to stick with that, and this is the first year that he's just going to golf on various winter trips, and not attempt to go to an improvement school.

I'm a believer in having a friend who is better than you watch your swing, and then practice the adjustments they suggest.

I'm buying a more forgiving set of irons (switching from Mizuno MP-59s to Cleveland CBXs) and the club fitter has lesson special with 6 30 minute lessons for $150...with video and launch monitor. He seems knowledgable so it was a no brainer.

I'm buying a more forgiving set of irons (switching from Mizuno MP-59s to Cleveland CBXs) and the club fitter has lesson special with 6 30 minute lessons for $150...with video and launch monitor. He seems knowledgable so it was a no brainer.

That's a screaming good deal unless he is one of those guys who tries to totally rebuild your swing.

Our club pro is a very personable guy, and one day was watching guys on the range warm up, etc. I had picked up some swing issue that was causing me to hosel rocket a couple, and was getting a concerned that it wasn't going away as I warmed up. I turn to him for advice, and ask him "ok..what am I doing wrong?"

He goes Dr. Phil on me: "well, what do YOU think you're doing wrong"?

:rolleyes:

If I focking knew that, I wouldn't have turned to ask you, lol. So I say: well, I guess that advice was worth what I paid for it, eh?

He's a very hands off pro; he gives lessons by asking you to see your own errors and fix them, thus not 'rebuilding' a golfer's swing. Wasn't sure I was impressed enough by his approach to it to pay for any lessons, though.

I set up my phone, and noticed right away: I was coming from far too inside. He could have just told me that. :mad:

Might get my ozik tipped with the right adapter if I don't like the stock fuji

Yea, from the times I've hit them - was not too impressed.

You mentioned the Matrix Ozik, Rocketballz shaft earlier..........let me tell you what, that was a phenomenal shaft. I still play the Rocketballz 3-wood. When I finally get a new one, I may try and put that shaft in it.

Guy already told me " we're just tweaking what you got" and first lesson ran nearly 1 hour which I knew it would.

Need to delay release more so swish (with no ball) haplens after impact.

Yea, from the times I've hit them - was not too impressed.

You mentioned the Matrix Ozik, Rocketballz shaft earlier..........let me tell you what, that was a phenomenal shaft. I still play the Rocketballz 3-wood. When I finally get a new one, I may try and put that shaft in it.

it is.

im a high ball hitter, yes. More so with my irons historically than my woods. Currenty im fighting a swing flaw that has me hitting some high, weak fades from time to time but the ball stays in the fairway. so its not a big concern for me and the 2016 M2 head sets up nice for me visually and has been reviewed as one of their best driver heads of late (many prefer it to the 2017 version)

I can pick one up off the ebay for 250ish with the stock Fuji pro 60? I think? shaft. If i really don't like it, would be pretty simple for me to get the correct fitting adapter put on the rocketballz Ozik (its the tour rocketballz, so even though its a "made for" shaft, its pretty much the real deal Ozik with TM graphics.)

I am also toying with the idea of pulling the Aldila NVS shaft from my old Callaway FT3 Tour and having an adapter put on that as well. I don't play that driver anymore but the NVS shaft is a wonderful shaft. I had one put in my 3 hybrid 2 seasons ago.

Finally, If i feel like it, I can drop an extra $60-70 for an Aldila Rogue Silver with an adapter already installed If I want to go with a low spin, low trajectory shaft.

Baiscally I've always played my RBZ as is (I play it completely standard as well) but If I go ahead and grab an M2, I may play around with different shaft options and finally take advantage of the adjustability. I think a lot of golfers utilize the lofting and de-lofting and all that but fail to take advantage of keeping a driver head they like and just trying out different shaft combinations to find what works best.

Guy already told me " we're just tweaking what you got" and first lesson ran nearly 1 hour which I knew it would.

Need to delay release more so swish (with no ball) haplens after impact.

If I get you, you're talking about club lag.

If you are, the single best drill I've ever done for it is a rope. You swing the rope, and get it to swish/snap at the proper point of impact. If you do that, and you swing the club with relaxed hands/wrists, you'll get your proper delayed release.

If I get you, you're talking about club lag.

If you are, the single best drill I've ever done for it is a rope. You swing the rope, and get it to swish/snap at the proper point of impact. If you do that, and you swing the club with relaxed hands/wrists, you'll get your proper delayed release.

Exactly. Thanks for the tip. Like a big rope?

Exactly. Thanks for the tip. Like a big rope?

It's got to be a big enough rope that it has enough heft to 'snap' when swinging it.

• Like 1

Basically I've always played my RBZ as is (I play it completely standard as well) but If I go ahead and grab an M2....

With all the advances technology has made, with all the game improvement gadgets and tweaks club makers have created - there are still some old fashion ideas that continue to dazzle.

I've always said, the TM Dual R5 is sweetest feeling driver I've ever hit - still holds true... To add to that, I think the Rocketballz line was just as incredible and one of the undervalued home runs in golf technology, still even to this day.

With all the advances technology has made, with all the game improvement gadgets and tweaks club makers have created - there are still some old fashion ideas that continue to dazzle.

I've always said, the TM Dual R5 is sweetest feeling driver I've ever hit - still holds true... To add to that, I think the Rocketballz line was just as incredible and one of the undervalued home runs in golf technology, still even to this day.

The rbz won't he going anywhere, it will remain as a backup, but I like the look, feel and sound of the M2. This is in a simulator of course... think I'm going to give it a try.

..but I like the look, feel and sound of the M2. This is in a simulator of course... think I'm going to give it a try.

You'll like it for sure. :thumbsup:

I mean don't get out of the cart blindfolded and hit the ball. But how good are you to where 3-5 yards changes what you are doing?

I'd love to play with some of you guys. Guys seem like real players.

What happens when you don't hit the perfect shot but it works out better for you anyway? Do you hit every shot pure every time?

No one other than tour pros can look at an exact yardage. Factor the wind. Factor how exactly it will bounces or spin. And hit a shot accordingly.

I'm not that anal, but i generally walk, and my home course isn't great with sprinkler markers. I also play very fast. Taking a range finder reading takes a couple seconds. I'm a one practice swing then hit player... If the course is open i've walked it in just over 3 hours, its about 5.5miles in distance. I'm an 8 HCP. not the best player, not the worst. Generally im drinking most the round, easy going. My club gaps are about 10 yards each. Range finder +/- mental elevation,wind factors just to make sure im in that 10 yard window. I definitely don't play to specific yardages.

I'm a Texas boy, don't do cold weather well.

I know this isn't "cold" for some of you, but it is for us.. Front blew thru, 2morow is supposed to be sunny/46*/NW winds 10 mph/wind chill 42* - you going off in that? ........ I'm on the fence - the guys are up my ass about it.