Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - QB Mitchell Trubisky, Bears

Following one of Trubisky's workouts this spring, one scout said it reminded him of Aaron Rodgers. Trubisky doesn't need to play at that level to make this pick work, but this is a huge gamble for a team that has little to no history of being able to evaluate quarterbacks. It's even a question whether or not Trubisky's arm strength will be enough to hold up in December. He's not ready to start in Year 1 either, as the case with any quarterback who made 13 career starts in college. Furthermore, the duo of Cameron Meredith and Kevin White aren't exactly the pass-catching combination a young quarterback needs to develop confidence quickly. Putting aside Trubisky's second-round grade for a moment, he did show enough in his this season to indicate he could be the answer for a quarterback-needy team down the road. If there is one positive with this pick, it is that Chicago should be able to give him the opportunity to sit and learn in 2017 as Mike Glennon allows him to take his time adjusting to the NFL.

Oh wow...here's a recipe for success:

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/858020107200737281

Yep. My first thought when the pick was made was, "It helps for the coach/GM to be around past Dec. 1 of the year you draft your franchise QB."

Man, this feels like the Rams last year and I like Goff more than I do Trubisky. Nothing like forcing another administration's guy into the lap of the next coach.

Look, I know it is always dangerous to assume coaching changes are going to happen even before the season starts, but not involving the coach in such a big decision and coming off a 3-13 season with not much hope for an 8-8 season is a good place to look.

When they first made this pick I was very much wtf. Since then I've done some reading (and rationalizing) and have come around to being ok with, if not completely happy w Trubinski at 2.

QBs in this draft were a crap shoot. By and large Pace has done well in his drafts as GM. We've got the pieces in place to sit Trub for a year to learn n work on his craft. The cost to move up wasn't that bad considering Lynch was entertaining multiple other offers.

Bears have been building through the draft ala Reggie in OAK for a couple years now. Trubinski was drafted to be the crown jewel in time.

If the kids we've drafted the past two years continue to develop, if Kevin White gets healthy and plays well, if we get the new TE quickly up to speed: we might just have a team to compete with in 18 and beyond.

If not Pace and Fox are gone, but I respect him for putting his azz on the line and pushing forward with his vision.

Regarding keeping the pick from the HC: sometimes Foxy needs to be protected from himself. :) I doubt he or anyone else in the building is upset about it.

Pace is definitely better than Emery was. He is still missing too often for my liking. He keeps getting guys that turn out to be surprisingly decent, but the Bears need super stars

When they first made this pick I was very much wtf. Since then I've done some reading (and rationalizing) and have come around to being ok with, if not completely happy w Trubinski at 2.

QBs in this draft were a crap shoot. By and large Pace has done well in his drafts as GM. We've got the pieces in place to sit Trub for a year to learn n work on his craft. The cost to move up wasn't that bad considering Lynch was entertaining multiple other offers.

Bears have been building through the draft ala Reggie in OAK for a couple years now. Trubinski was drafted to be the crown jewel in time.

If the kids we've drafted the past two years continue to develop, if Kevin White gets healthy and plays well, if we get the new TE quickly up to speed: we might just have a team to compete with in 18 and beyond.

If not Pace and Fox are gone, but I respect him for putting his azz on the line and pushing forward with his vision.

Regarding keeping the pick from the HC: sometimes Foxy needs to be protected from himself. :) I doubt he or anyone else in the building is upset about it.

I really don't a problem with how many picks Chicago gave up. I do have a problem with the Bears taking a player who showed some signs but is the least experienced quarterback to be drafted in years. But it's not just the experience, he played REALLY bad against Va. Tech and made some pretty poor decisions the few times defenses gave him a different look than he had pre-snap. Don't get me wrong, he's got a chance, but I think hoping for anything more than Ryan Tannehill upside (up to this point, not the kind of upside I think Tannehill has this year) is asking too much.