Sign in to follow this  
gocolts

Actually drove a car to the junk yard today to sell to the yard.

So my dad has several vehicles and since mom died, it is only him and he does not need them all. This car was a 1989 Cutlass Ciera. When he bought it, it had 5000 miles on it. back in 1989. It had 180K on it today when we drove it the junk yard.

They gave him 150 bucks, plus, we were able to keep the battery. Paid 100 bucks for it just 2 years ago, so wanted that. They told us to start it first and then pull the battery because they were going to use it as the yard car.

It runs real good and transmission been redone last few years. New radiator, alternator, all kinds of shtt.

Problem was, it was rusting apart. Doors had holes rusting through them. Whole damn car was rusting out bad. Windows were power windows, and they would not work right anymore. Just falling apart everywhere, but runs good.

AC even still works, all they have to do is charge it. He even put a bunch of junk he been wanting to hull off in the trunk. So now, we do not have to pay to hull all that shtt off either. The local landfill charges like 10 buck minimum.

So what is the going price for a car when you junk it in your area???

You get more if you can get it to the junk yard yourself here. I think you only get 50 or 100 if they have to come and get it.

Anyone ever drive a car to the junk yard???

Sure seemed weird, but would have not received much more if he sold it to someone with all the problems. Plus, just bought insurance for one day on it, so did not have to worry about letting folks test drive it and shtt like that either. Just put some license plates on it from his van. The license branch made it difficult, so we figured just cheaper and easier to pay the ticket, as long as it insured in case something went terribly wrong.

Damn that's low. Last year I got $375 for one. Got $450 for one 7-8 years ago.

Damn that's low. Last year I got $375 for one. Got $450 for one 7-8 years ago.

DAMN, that is pretty good. Would have been sweet to get that much.

Oh man, sorry to read. I can't imagine putting down my car. I'd rather have her die on her own than have to go to the junk yard and hold her as she is given the tow, and watch her leave this life.

Oh man, sorry to read. I can't imagine putting down my car. I'd rather have her die on her own than have to go to the junk yard and hold her as she is given the tow, and watch her leave this life.

It's the hardest thing you have to do as a car owner :(

It did kind of suck ass. One thing that was helpful was how they said they are turning into a yard car, so she not quite gone. In fact, she will run real good for a long time. My dad is awesome at fixing and maintaining cars.