Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

***Official Seattle Seahawks Thread 2012***

Here's food for thought for you Seahawks fans...

I'm a Titans fan. We appear to be making a strong play for Manning.

If we land manning, you think we could get your first plus something for Locker? What would you guys think?

I'm not saying the Titans FO would be interested, but you could see them making hass manning's backup, trading locker for picks, and building for now?

It wouldn't make sense for Tenn to dump Locker even if they sign Manning, as Locker is their future.

But from Seattle's point of view, there is 0% chance they give up a 1st round pick for Locker. Tenn is dealing from weakness. They might get a 3rd for him, or low 2nd rounder. Maybe. There is debate whether Seattle would have taken Locker at #25 last year, most think not.

It wouldn't make sense for Tenn to dump Locker even if they sign Manning, as Locker is their future.

But from Seattle's point of view, there is 0% chance they give up a 1st round pick for Locker. Tenn is dealing from weakness. They might get a 3rd for him, or low 2nd rounder. Maybe. There is debate whether Seattle would have taken Locker at #25 last year, most think not.

Oh I agree, it would be focking dumb.

But apparently, our personell decisions are being made by a dood in his 80's who wants a ring before he dies.

And I think you're wrong about what we could get. They wouldn't HAVE to deal him. And there would be more than one suitor (the Browns?). If Palmer is worth what he got and RG3 is worth three firsts and a second...

Oh I agree, it would be focking dumb.

But apparently, our personell decisions are being made by a dood in his 80's who wants a ring before he dies.

And I think you're wrong about what we could get. They wouldn't HAVE to deal him. And there would be more than one suitor (the Browns?). If Palmer is worth what he got and RG3 is worth three firsts and a second...

The Seattle front office has been preaching patience in getting a QB. And realistically, Oakland and Washington vastly overpaid for their QBs. Palmer at least had a track record, and Griffin is a complete unknown in adjusting to the NFL, with upside. The excitement around Locker has died down since draft day. It is what usually happens after the draft day hype fades.

Happy Hawks resigned Bryant!!! Very good move, especially since we probably won't get M. Williams it's looking like.

But, I'm ticked they could not get Manning in for at least a visit. But, what's worse then that is the joke to bring in Chad Henne. That's there first choice? He is a joke of a QB and just a waist of our money. We need to FIX the problem not bring in a backup for T. Jackson.

Henne is not an answer or anybody we need. I'd rather see Portis get a shot over Henne.

It's still early, but I'm sad to hear Henne is our first visit with all these good free agents out there. And I still say we should be hitting on Flynn right now. Especially, once Manning backed out. We can skip all the Manning stuff while he's still trying to decide and go hard at Flynn and lock him up before Miami gets into the mix. Stupid.

At least Flynn gives you a shot at some kind of a franchise QB. It's surely not Chad.

Henne? really? Common Hawks

Going for another T. Jackson?

Happy Hawks resigned Bryant!!! Very good move, especially since we probably won't get M. Williams it's looking like.

But, I'm ticked they could not get Manning in for at least a visit. But, what's worse then that is the joke to bring in Chad Henne. That's there first choice? He is a joke of a QB and just a waist of our money. We need to FIX the problem not bring in a backup for T. Jackson.

Henne is not an answer or anybody we need. I'd rather see Portis get a shot over Henne.

It's still early, but I'm sad to hear Henne is our first visit with all these good free agents out there. And I still say we should be hitting on Flynn right now. Especially, once Manning backed out. We can skip all the Manning stuff while he's still trying to decide and go hard at Flynn and lock him up before Miami gets into the mix. Stupid.

At least Flynn gives you a shot at some kind of a franchise QB. It's surely not Chad.

Henne? really? Common Hawks

Going for another T. Jackson?

Flynn is about to sign with Cleveland. Ultimately, our front office didn't seem to like Flynn's arm strength. For what it's worth.

Henne is a massive upgrade over Whitehurst. Still a short-term guy.

I agree on both counts. Plus we also only have 2 arms on the roster, so we need to have another guy or 2.

FYI also. I keep hearing that these guys (our staff) love Portis. It'll be interesting to see if he can take a step foward this offseason. Maybe we already have our future and us fans don't even know it yet?

Giving it some thought recently, now that Flynn is almost certainly a product of media hype and is getting little attention in free agency, is there really any QB that the front office has passed on that in retrospect wasn't the right decision as we look at it now? Short of giving up tons of capital to move up in the past two drafts, or paying a ridiculous price to acquire. I think they've made the right calls. Off the top of my head...

Jimmy Clausen

Colt McCoy

Matt Hasselbeck

Ryan Mallet

Kevin Kolb

Colin Kaepernick

Carson Palmer

Jason Campbell

Donovan McNabb

Maybe Andy Dalton? He looks like a one read QB that throws passes up for grabs to all world AJ Green. I don't really know if this guy is going to be good down the road.

Henne does nothing for me. I don't think we should be looking for a backup, which is what he's shown to be. T. Jackson should be a backup! Maybe if you plan on signing M. Williams and can't afford both Flynn & M. Williams you could think about Henne. But, I'd rather have Orton if not Flynn. Not sure why you just don't draft you're #2 QB instead though? At least that would give you a shot at being a franchise QB.

Henne is not worth a signing to me at all.

You're also really reaching if you think and hope Portis is our Franchise QB. I mean, he's a nice option to groom and see what you got.

Nice #3 or 4. He wasn't even drafted though. Just cause he can move in the pocket doesn't mean anything. He looked like a deer in the headlights to me, with some potential. To say he might be our guy is really hoping and banking on false hopes IMO.

Anyway, I'm HAPPY to hear we are bringing in Flynn for a visit. That is good news to my ears. I think Thursday they said.

Henne does nothing for me. I don't think we should be looking for a backup, which is what he's shown to be. T. Jackson should be a backup! Maybe if you plan on signing M. Williams and can't afford both Flynn & M. Williams you could think about Henne. But, I'd rather have Orton if not Flynn. Not sure why you just don't draft you're #2 QB instead though? At least that would give you a shot at being a franchise QB.

Henne is not worth a signing to me at all.

You're also really reaching if you think and hope Portis is our Franchise QB. I mean, he's a nice option to groom and see what you got.

Nice #3 or 4. He wasn't even drafted though. Just cause he can move in the pocket doesn't mean anything. He looked like a deer in the headlights to me, with some potential. To say he might be our guy is really hoping and banking on false hopes IMO.

Anyway, I'm HAPPY to hear we are bringing in Flynn for a visit. That is good news to my ears. I think Thursday they said.

I just saw that. Flynn to visit. Odd. I guess his asking price must be plummeting, so I guess what's the harm in talking. But he wouldn't be promised a starting gig, I can guarantee. He'd have to compete with TJax.

Too soon to judge Portis, but undrafted guys can still succeed. I think Romo and Fitzpatrick went undrafted. If you go to a smaller college, you can get overlooked. I liked what I saw from Portis in the preseason last year. Still, I now don't expect to draft a QB until next season. This year is a bad crop. I'd rather hang onto Portis than reach for a bust.

John Carlson signs with Minnesota for way, way, way too much money, 5 years 25 million. I ragged on him forever, but he turned out to be almost mediocre. Unfortunately, he was a 2nd round pick, so he will always remain a bust in my eyes. He will be easily replaced.

I think Hawkfin needs to relax and have a couple of :cheers: when it comes to our QB search.

This staff know's what it's doing. I don't have to post anything new that Philly hasn't already said.

It'll come, and them sticking to their gameplan and not throwing away draftpicks or money is music to my ears.

Now, if we don't get a pass rusher and a couple of LB's in FA or the draft then I'll jump all aboard the Hawkfin over react train and ask for results immediatly.

Whoa! What were the Vikings thinking? That's a lot of money for a solid TE that does a lot of things but is special at nothing. He always seemed like a good guy though, I wish him well.

The thing to remember with Portis is that he didn't go undrafted due to lack of talent or ability. He went undrafted because he made some stupid decisions in school. If he's grown up and willing to commit to being a pro QB the potential is there. I agree he looked overwhelmed at times, but he also showed the ability to settle into a groove and move the offense.

That being said, I'm glad they are at least kicking the tires on Flynn, even if they don't have any strong intentions on signing him.

Whoa! What were the Vikings thinking? That's a lot of money for a solid TE that does a lot of things but is special at nothing. He always seemed like a good guy though, I wish him well.

The thing to remember with Portis is that he didn't go undrafted due to lack of talent or ability. He went undrafted because he made some stupid decisions in school. If he's grown up and willing to commit to being a pro QB the potential is there. I agree he looked overwhelmed at times, but he also showed the ability to settle into a groove and move the offense.

That being said, I'm glad they are at least kicking the tires on Flynn, even if they don't have any strong intentions on signing him.

It's much more money than I'd like, but the Vikes run a 2 TE base offense. Carlson, if healthy, was the best available other than Schianco, who refused a contract extension.

Everyone thought the Vikes were nuts for giving Visanthe 3.5 million a year. Hopefully this is a repeat. How Carlson's blocking ability?

It's much more money than I'd like, but the Vikes run a 2 TE base offense. Carlson, if healthy, was the best available other than Schianco, who refused a contract extension.

Everyone thought the Vikes were nuts for giving Visanthe 3.5 million a year. Hopefully this is a repeat. How Carlson's blocking ability?

I suppose if the Minnesota offer was market value, Seattle might have held onto Carlson. His blocking is nothing special. I think a big reason for signing Zack Miller last year was his blocking was so much better than Carlson's. Plus Carlson is coming off a season ending injury, so it's an iffy signing all around.

Flynn is about to sign with Cleveland. Ultimately, our front office didn't seem to like Flynn's arm strength. For what it's worth.

Yeah, I got duped by this hot rumor last night. Turns out Cleveland didn't offer a contract. The rumor was full of details of the contract and sounded really believable. Stupid internet.

I'd rather have Shianco, but it's not like Carlson is a bad player. Just limited at certain things.

PC/JS clearly have no clue about how to value QBs. Whitehurst- strike one, Jackson--strike two, now it looks like either Henne or Flynn--strike three. It looks like a third year in a row for 7-9.

I think Hawkfin needs to relax and have a couple of :cheers: when it comes to our QB search.

This staff know's what it's doing. I don't have to post anything new that Philly hasn't already said.

It'll come, and them sticking to their gameplan and not throwing away draftpicks or money is music to my ears.

Sure, I could go for some :cheers: of course. :D - As much as you're worried about pressuring the QB, I see our lack of a good offense/scores/drives/consistant Off as a MUCH bigger concern.

Since I agree (Staff seems to know what they are doing) I hope to see Flynn signed this week. :wave:

We've already spent draft picks and money on QB's. It's to late for saying that. I'm saying don't spend more on the foolishness that is Henne, when he is NOT the answer to anything. Flynn is not costing draft picks.

Sure, Flynn will compete with T. Jackson if brought in. Anybody brought in will (Less Manning)

But, Flynn as I see it will beat out T. Jackson easily. Then grow from there after a good year on the job.

If there is no QB worth going after as a franchise type QB, then fine, don't do it. But, why bother with Henne?

Plus, this is where we differ.

I have a real good feeling about Flynn. From what I've seen, I think he could become a franchise QB. At least major potential to be one. And I don't see us getting one next year either. Who do we get next year?

Flynn fits well within our system as he can move out of the pocket well. Comes from similar offense too.

I'm also not sure where his arm strength is in question either? He throws it DEEP and is accurate. He has a perfect touch on his deep ball. He is an "accurate" QB when given the chance and always finds success. He won his bowl game in college. Accuracy with Deep ball is what I'm looking for and he's got it. He's young and learned from a great system/QB play. I'm not sure what's not to like. His TD's to Int's are great and way better then Kolb.

He's got rushing TD's. Played in some big games. And if you watch him against NE, they were blitzing the cr@p out of him.

I also don't see how you guy's can possibly be happy with going with T. Jackson much longer?

I guess you want to suck/7-9 football for another year or whatever. Draft a guy after realizing how bad it is, by spending a 1st round pick on a rookie who may or may not be the franchise QB, which could mean more years of sucking. After all this, you're looking at 5 years and possible destruction of what's built. And during all this, teams will be picking away our nice Def young pieces that we had as they all become free agents.

Our Def. is close - We put some nice weapons on Offense - We need to shore up this QB thing sooner rather then later.

I'm not panicking as much as I see Flynn as a great option. And even if it doesn't work we have T. Jackson for another year to back it up. If this happens - We could then cut QB ties with everybody and put all the chips/draft picks in on a top prospect.

Anyway,

See what happens. See what they do. I'm still a fan just giving my .02.

PC/JS clearly have no clue about how to value QBs. Whitehurst- strike one, Jackson--strike two, now it looks like either Henne or Flynn--strike three. It looks like a third year in a row for 7-9.

Whitehurst cost us a 3rd rounder and moving back 20 spots in the 2nd round. Which cost us the opportunity to waste a pick on Jimmy Clausen when he went off the board in the middle of the 2nd. In other words, we still grabbed a terrible QB but without the baggage of a huge contract. Limited downside. He had a cap number of $4.0 million in both 2010 and 2011, which is low for a QB. He is now a UFA and won't bother us again.

Tarvaris came in also on minor dollars and was given a chance to compete with Clipboard Jesus. He won that battle but ultimately proved he is not the long-term answer. Again, limited downside because of limited dollars. His cap hit for 2011 was $3.25 million. For 2012 it's $4.75 million, also a pittance at that position.

I don't think you understand what 'value' means here. It means not breaking the bank and setting back your franchise by 3-5 yrs until the dead money is gone after you cut him. These were gambles that did not work out the way they hoped, but they were low-risk gambles nonetheless. In the meantime they stocked up at other positions of need, like rebuilding the OL and rebuilding the secondary, both of which went pretty well. Instead of attacking them for not finding a diamond in the rough, how about a little credit that they actually did make some low-risk gambles instead of a huge splash that might have really screwed the franchise? How about a little faith that they'll pull the trigger on a major deal for a QB when they find a guy that they think is worth it? Jesus Christ.

I think the front office will do a hard sell when Jason Jones visits tomorrow. He could play a couple of different positions on the D line, but he can get after the QB.

I think the front office will do a hard sell when Jason Jones visits tomorrow. He could play a couple of different positions on the D line, but he can get after the QB.

Totally agree. An interior D-lineman with pass rush chops? Yes please.

Jason Jones has talent, but he's also a pretty frustrating player. As a DE, he's not fast/athletic enough to consistently get to the QB. And as a DT, he's not big enough to play consistently without accumulating injuries. If he can stay healthy (which has been his recurring issue), then I think he could be effective as a situational-type DE/DT hybrid in certain situations. But he's not worth every-down, impact-player type $$$.

:dunno:

Jason Jones has talent, but he's also a pretty frustrating player. As a DE, he's not fast/athletic enough to consistently get to the QB. And as a DT, he's not big enough to play consistently without accumulating injuries. If he can stay healthy (which has been his recurring issue), then I think he could be effective as a situational-type DE/DT hybrid in certain situations. But he's not worth every-down, impact-player type $$$.

As a Titans fan, you nailed it.

He's a good situational rusher, but he's not a three down lineman. If you sign him, you will overpay.

Interesting. Thanks for the evaluation. I was wondering why he wasn't getting more pub as a FA.

As a Titans fan, you nailed it.

He's a good situational rusher, but he's not a three down lineman. If you sign him, you will overpay.

I also agree.... Overrated

We signed Bryant already. I'd like to see a new DE/Dline at pick #12 instead.... Thus skipping this guy.

Unless we get M. Williams, we should go for our QB.

FLYNN FLYNN FLYNN

Heard Hutch is coming back for a visit. :)

Interesting. Thanks for the evaluation. I was wondering why he wasn't getting more pub as a FA.

Again...if you can sign Jones to a reasonable contract, then he's worth it because he does have some talent and can be a good if given the right role. In fact, he might be a good fit next to Red Bryant, who's primarily a run-stuffing, space-eater type guy, right? Some sort of incentive-based contract (to factor in games/snaps played) would probably be ideal because it would protect a team from his injury-issues. However, I don't think Jones would sign that sort of deal -- not that I blame him.

Here's food for thought for you Seahawks fans...

I'm a Titans fan. We appear to be making a strong play for Manning.

If we land manning, you think we could get your first plus something for Locker? What would you guys think?

I'm not saying the Titans FO would be interested, but you could see them making hass manning's backup, trading locker for picks, and building for now?

Who are you going to draft if you get Seattle's pick? Isn't better for the long term future to keep Locker? He can sit and learn in practice like Romo and Rodgers did. If you trade him away and Manning's successful for three years you'll have late first round picks every year for three years and then getting a young QB will be very hard.

Heard Hutch is coming back for a visit. :)

Nah, he'll be blocking for Peyton and CJ next year. :banana:

Who are you going to draft if you get Seattle's pick? Isn't better for the long term future to keep Locker? He can sit and learn in practice like Romo and Rodgers did. If you trade him away and Manning's successful for three years you'll have late first round picks every year for three years and then getting a young QB will be very hard.

Oh I agree, it would be stupid. But I could see Bud Adams, with one foot in the grave, promising to trade locker and try to get a WR to pair with Britt or something stupid like that. Maybe Locker to the Hawks, then that pick and our second to move up for Blackmon or something, I dunno.

Again, I agree with you, (and, it seems, so do Titans brass) that Locker needs to stay where he is and learn from Manning, and be the future.

Whitehurst cost us a 3rd rounder and moving back 20 spots in the 2nd round. Which cost us the opportunity to waste a pick on Jimmy Clausen when he went off the board in the middle of the 2nd. In other words, we still grabbed a terrible QB but without the baggage of a huge contract. Limited downside. He had a cap number of $4.0 million in both 2010 and 2011, which is low for a QB. He is now a UFA and won't bother us again.

Tarvaris came in also on minor dollars and was given a chance to compete with Clipboard Jesus. He won that battle but ultimately proved he is not the long-term answer. Again, limited downside because of limited dollars. His cap hit for 2011 was $3.25 million. For 2012 it's $4.75 million, also a pittance at that position.

I don't think you understand what 'value' means here. It means not breaking the bank and setting back your franchise by 3-5 yrs until the dead money is gone after you cut him. These were gambles that did not work out the way they hoped, but they were low-risk gambles nonetheless. In the meantime they stocked up at other positions of need, like rebuilding the OL and rebuilding the secondary, both of which went pretty well. Instead of attacking them for not finding a diamond in the rough, how about a little credit that they actually did make some low-risk gambles instead of a huge splash that might have really screwed the franchise? How about a little faith that they'll pull the trigger on a major deal for a QB when they find a guy that they think is worth it? Jesus Christ.

The Matt Flynn "gamble" won't work either. OBTW they had Blaine Gabbert rated as the # 1 QB in last year's draft, that tells all you need to know about how they scout and value QBs. Enjoy 7-9, again.

Free agent OG Steve Hutchinson will visit the Seahawks on Wednesday.

It was nearly six years ago to the day that the Vikings infamously lured Hutchinson away from the Seahawks via a front-loaded "poison-pill" deal, but apparently time heals all wounds. Hutchinson has also visited with the Titans. Related: Seahawks

Source: Mike Sando on Twitter

OBTW they had Blaine Gabbert rated as the # 1 QB in last year's draft, that tells all you need to know about how they scout and value QBs. Enjoy 7-9, again.

Really? You were in the Hawks' war room? Fascinating.

Even if he was, it doesn't mean they had a 1st rd grade on him.

Even if they did have a 1st rd grade, so did a ton of teams.

Troll.

Robert Gallery is about to be cut.

Back to the chatter tomorrow. It's getting late.

Chad Henne signed with Jacksonville. Erase his name off our list.

"Paul McQuistan - G - Seahawks Seahawks re-signed OG Paul McQuistan.

With Robert Gallery gone, McQuistan is needed for depth. He started 10 games a year ago and is capable of playing both guard and tackle. Source: Danny O'Neil on Twitter Mar 14 - 9:27 Pm

Robert Gallery - G - Seahawks Seahawks released OL Robert Gallery.

Gallery was signed to a three-year, $15 million after the lockout broke. But a groin injury kept him out of four games early in the year and he never seemed to recover. The move saves the Seahawks $4.6 million against the cap and they could be looking at old friend Steve Hutchinson as a replacement at left guard."

I wonder if Carpenter can play left guard?

"Paul McQuistan - G - Seahawks Seahawks re-signed OG Paul McQuistan.

With Robert Gallery gone, McQuistan is needed for depth. He started 10 games a year ago and is capable of playing both guard and tackle. Source: Danny O'Neil on Twitter Mar 14 - 9:27 Pm

Robert Gallery - G - Seahawks Seahawks released OL Robert Gallery.

Gallery was signed to a three-year, $15 million after the lockout broke. But a groin injury kept him out of four games early in the year and he never seemed to recover. The move saves the Seahawks $4.6 million against the cap and they could be looking at old friend Steve Hutchinson as a replacement at left guard."

I wonder if Carpenter can play left guard?

I was just wondering the same thing.

Replacing Gallery with Hutch would be an awesome short-term move. Dude is filthy and I'm sure he and Cable would love to work together. McQuistan is good, capable depth.

Nothing flashy so far, but we're keeping the guys we need to keep.

Again...if you can sign Jones to a reasonable contract, then he's worth it because he does have some talent and can be a good if given the right role. In fact, he might be a good fit next to Red Bryant, who's primarily a run-stuffing, space-eater type guy, right? Some sort of incentive-based contract (to factor in games/snaps played) would probably be ideal because it would protect a team from his injury-issues. However, I don't think Jones would sign that sort of deal -- not that I blame him.

Carroll and the coaching staff are creating hybrid types of positions along the defensive line, and I think Jones can very well fit into a niche as well. Guys like Red Bryant and Chris Clemons have flourished, so I guess we'll see what happens. As long as Jones doesn't sign with his old coach Jeff Fisher first.

Really? You were in the Hawks' war room? Fascinating.

Even if he was, it doesn't mean they had a 1st rd grade on him.

Even if they did have a 1st rd grade, so did a ton of teams.

Troll.

To be fair, I have read that on several occasions, that they had Gabbert #1 on their board at QB, but since they were not going to trade up, they didn't consider landing him at any point. Gabbert is a work in progress with no weapons to throw to on a shitty team.