Sign in to follow this  
Ryedog

Draft Day Strategy Help

Just hoping to get some tips from some of you seasoned veterans on how you go into a draft? Do you literally have cheat sheets with who you would want in each round? I am in a 10 man leauge and on draft day we just pull names to determine draft position (obviously we dont know where we are picking until that day).

What is the best (easiest) way to approach the draft?

Is it best to have the top 10 at each position and just mark them off as they are picked?

Any help would be appreciated! :thumbsup:

I keep all of my cheatsheets in an Excel spreadsheet so that the players are crossed off of multiple lists for me. I have a listing for each position and an overall list so that I can see who has been taken and who is still available. Then, I have separate tabs for each team so that I can assess team needs mid-draft. Also, bye weeks are pulled in so that I can identify bye week issues before they become a problem. Also, I can see another owners bye week issues in advance so that I can target him for potential trades.

If you aren't technically savvy enough to put together your own spreadsheets/cheatsheets, I would suggest ponying up the couple of dollars for the Compiler/Draft Buddy. It seems like the guys who use it really find it handy.

You do not want to be the guy trying to draft someone you think is a steal that has gone off the board already. Bring a list of RBs, WRs, K, D, and QBs and cross them off as they are picked. You should not stick to the list 100% for your picks but at least you will know who is available at the time.

I think that is the minimum if you ask me.

Additionally you may want to track what each team has picked so far. It will help you to strategerize on who they will pick next.

Just make sure you do your research as far as the players, cheat sheets are helpful, I find the player rankings on this page to be helpful but DO NOT rely 100% on the cheat sheets and projections/rankings. They are there as a guide.

KNOW YOUR LEAGUE: how many pts do QB’s get for TD’s, how players start at each position, see if you have access to last year’s top fantasy point getters in your league based on your league’s scoring system…. This will give you a better idea on what positions are scoring the highest in your league.

Usually RB’s are at a premium in the early rounds, and personally I like going RB-RB in the first 2 rounds, but that’s not for everyone. You’re definitely going to need more than the Top 10 at each position, the middle rounds in the draft is what I think is going to make or break your team.

In looking at my league’s draft last year, a 12 team league, Larry Fitzgerald was taken in the 6th, Santana Moss in the 9th, Jake Plummer in the 9th, Thomas Jones in the 10th. These are all guys who had much better years than their draft position would indicate. I think during the draft you should evaluate your team, see where your position needs are, and try and draft the best player available for those needs. Unless you have some off the wall defense scoring, I usually keep the Kickers and the Defenses for the final 4 rounds. You can never have enough depth with your position players.

- Watch the BYE weeks with the guys you’re drafting. You could be in for a long week if half your team is out on a bye one week.

I think that’s all I got, good luck!

I usually come with position lists as well as an overall list. I also usually bring one magazine, as a back-up resource. I go by the overall list until about round 7, when I start drafting by positional needs. There are some good forms on FFtoday to track what other owners are drafting and to keep track of your picks, both in the draft worksheets section. My positional lists usually include on them ADP, Proj Fantasy Points, Bye Week, and any additional notes necessary (including O-line grades, strength of schedule, target, sleeper, bust, etc.) I have drafted with guys who come over prepared, and some who just follow SI to the number. There is a fine line between under prepared and over prepared. I have watched a fellow owner struggle to make a decision within the time limits, because they could not find the information in his own draft kit. I would suggest preparing your draft sheets ahead of time, printing them and doing several mock drafts to see how they work for you and tweak them to meet your needs. That's just how I do it, I am sure there are several other methods that people use, and I hope to hear them so I can make my draft prep better.

Thanks for the input guys! Good Stuff.

I have another question though. What is everyones opinion on what position to draft when. Please pick between these 3 choices in the first 4 rounds:

1) RB/RB/WR/WR

2) RB/RB/WR/RB

3) RB/WR/RB/WR

Flex spot? RB/RB/RB if so

If not there is no easy answer. but RB/RB/WR/WR sounds about right. If too many WR go off the board by your 4th pick, I would go RB. It will be better to trade him for a better WR latter in the year.

Tough to predict best draft order to use. You are better off taking the player that you feel will provide the most fantasy points when comparing WR and RB. In a PPR league some of the WR can be just as valuable as the RB going in the second round. In a PPR league I would take the top WR tier before guys like DD, JJ, or KJ, etc. There are fewer question marks with Fitz, CJ, Steve Smith, or even TO. My opinion is never script the picks you will take, because then you might miss a better player who would slide to you. I am actually considering taking two WR with my first 2 picks, because of my draft poistion (10th) and the RB possibly left on the board, due to keepers, (DD, Westy, JJ, KJ). Other than Westy I don't think that the other three will come close to the production that you can get from the WR. This position is unique though and yours will be too, at your second round pick DD could be a nice value, but not in my position.

The moral of the story is draft for value :first: , not by following a script. ;)

All the above advice is great except I dont worry about bye weeks at all. Id rather have my team at 60% one week and 100% every other. But thats me.

Also, I suggest just knowing as many players as possible. Know what teams there on, position, coach, QB etc. When it comes down to it, you wont draft a player you never heard of...period. And you could be missing on a great value pick.

Also try to think ahead. Try to estimate what players.positions your oppnents will be ahead of you so you can maybe wait an extra round if the 2 guys in front of you already have there starting QB.

GOOD LUCK!

I wouldnt go into a draft with a position pick order set in stone b/c anything can happen during a draft, and guys can drop. Someone may take a QB in round 1 and other players that you thought had no chance will start to fall to you.

I have a spreadsheet of players I've pre-ranked but I dont reference it too much, I like to draft off of instinct :rolleyes: Whatever works for you though. I suggest you go to espn and do some of their mocks to get the hang of drafting from different positions and what effect choosing a certain player or position in a given round has on your team at the end of the draft.