Sign in to follow this  
Voltaire

***80s Music Thread Vote Here***

Which list of songs do you like best?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. In Bracket One, Who's list of songs do you like best?

• RaiderHater
    • Hardcore Troubadour
    • Vuduchile
    • edjr
    • Fandandy
    • Shotsup
  2. 2. In Bracket Two, Who's list of songs do you like best?

• cruzer
    • dain11279
    • nzoner
    • SUXBNME
    • Voltaire
    • Titans

I took for all intents and purposes, 0 hard rock/rock and roll songs

I had to rate each team on a scale of 1-10 as there are a lot of great tunes.

Raider 8.5

HT 6

Vudu 7

Ed 9

Fan 7

Shots 7.5

Cruz 9

Dain 8

Nzone 7

Sux 7

Volty 8

Titans 9

Well done all the way around. I added my ratings above. Voted for Ed and Cruzer. Raiders and Titans very close 2nds in each bracket.

This whole draft was a joke IMO. I get it, everyone is trying to pick their favorite obscure songs nobody gives a fock about. But there are just so many absolutely essential 80's songs missing from this list... I could make my own team out of what you all missed, that would beat half of these sad squads.

Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World ???????????????????????????????????????

Duran Duran - Rio ??????????????????????????????????

Bananarama - Cruel Summer ?????????????????????????????????????????????

Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun ???????????????????????????

Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance with Somebody ??????????????????????????????

NKOTB - Hanging Tough ??????????????????????????

The Cult - Fire Woman

Starship - We Built This City

Prince - 1999

Peter Schilling - Major Tom

Men at Work - Who Can It Be Now?

Belinda Carlisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth

Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over

Kenny Loggins - Footloose

Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart

Martika - Toy Soldiers

The Psychedelic Furs - Pretty in Pink

Paula Abdul - Straight Up

Romeo Void - Never Say Never

The Motels - Suddenly Last Summer, Only the Lonely

Missing Persons - Destination Unknown

So many others, but great lists nonetheless.

• Like 3

I knew going in this was going to be judged by those who favored metal/rock....... Folks like me, you and Raider had no chance.

You started with AC/DC and could have sustained it, but then at the end, would you have been happy with your list when you were done? No. That isn't you. Your heart wouldn't have been in it. You took the songs that you liked and they were great songs.

Really, after taking AC/DC and Metallica on the 1/2 corner, I was well placed to go to metal war, I was simply not going to let anybody put together a harder list than I was. But I was comfortable and on my home turf seeing as I love these songs. This is what we were listening to in the Army. Then, as the draft progressed, since nobody took the metal battle to me, it freed me up to soften up some. In high school, I hadn't been so heavy as I was in the Army. So I felt comfortable chasing softer rock songs that I also love but always keeping that metal flank in mind. Being a Gulf War vet, the Lee Greenwood song was a must have. Then with 15/16 I tightened up the ship and sealed the metal deal.

Also, I offer up Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio as a undrafted free agent that needs to be picked up.

:thumbsup:

Also:

I Want Candy - Bow Wow Wow

Our House - Madness

Black Coffee in Bed - Squeeze

It was a #1 billboard hit for several months. Just to be clear... half of these songs I can't stand. But they are essential 80's tunes. At least more essential than half of nzoners squad...\

ETA: I'll be in, when you do a 90's fraft. I suck at the 70's.

I was going to compliment you on a nice list, but then you poisoned the mood. No doubt I like your list better than you do.

It was a #1 billboard hit for several months. Just to be clear... half of these songs I can't stand. But they are essential 80's tunes. At least more essential than half of nzoners squad...\

:lol:

I just finished looking up chart success for my draft,all 16 were on top 100 Billboard Charts with 10 of them in the top 20 and further more if I wanted to count Bad Love #1 on Billboard's Main Stream Rock chart and Stone Cold #1 on Billboard's Top Tracks chart it would be 12.

Looking at your list there's some good songs on there but for the most part they're pop,skating rink fodder which is why you probably can't stand half of them.Those songs had their place and I agree were a huge part of the 80's but then again every decade has that.Just because a song doesn't resonate with you and may be performed by a dinosaur or obscure artist or band does not mean it was not an essential 80's song. The Billboard chart success I listed above is proof that my picks did resonate with millions of people and I happened to be one of them thus the reason for my choices.

This whole draft was a joke IMO. I get it, everyone is trying to pick their favorite obscure songs nobody gives a fock about. But there are just so many absolutely essential 80's songs missing from this list... I could make my own team out of what you all missed, that would beat half of these sad squads.

Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World ???????????????????????????????????????

Duran Duran - Rio ??????????????????????????????????

Bananarama - Cruel Summer ?????????????????????????????????????????????

Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun ???????????????????????????

Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance with Somebody ??????????????????????????????

NKOTB - Hanging Tough ??????????????????????????

The Cult - Fire Woman

Starship - We Built This City

Prince - 1999

Peter Schilling - Major Tom

Men at Work - Who Can It Be Now?

Belinda Carlisle - Heaven is a Place on Earth

Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over

Kenny Loggins - Footloose

Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart

Martika - Toy Soldiers

The Psychedelic Furs - Pretty in Pink

Paula Abdul - Straight Up

Thanks for your input. Now go GFY wannabe 80s drafter boy.

I voted for you! :mad: :first:

I, and others actually said several times that we left a lot undrafted. Could have gone 25 rounds and all the songs you listed could easily have made it.

I, and others actually said several times that we left a lot undrafted. Could have gone 25 rounds and all the songs you listed could easily have made it.

I hear you. But if I agree with you, I might as well just post at FBG. That's not the spirit we're trying to foster here.

I just really like Rapture. That's how you got me. :wub:

I hear you. But if I agree with you, I might as well just post at FBG. That's not the spirit we're trying to foster here.

I just really like Rapture. That's how you got me. :wub:

Interesting. Many people hate that song. I can

take or leave the rap part but I dig the rhythm and melody of the verses and chorus. Its sorta trance like.

I voted for you! :mad: :first:

BTW,I replied to your asinine post about my squad if you care to have a music debate,if not have a good day.

Hey I didn't like drafting we are the world but it was an iconic star studded song.

Going in I never thought I'd draft Michael Jackson but Beat it had EVH making it rock.

Others I took because I liked them. I never thought of trying to "win"

Maybe I'll draft 70's differently but probably not.

I love every one of my songs and have heard/played them hundreds of times

BTW,I replied to your asinine post about my squad if you care to have a music debate,if not have a good day.

No thanks.

Music debate! oh ooh ooh oh, I will be moderator.

I was on the debate team in high school.

Everyone called me the Master Debater

Hey I didn't like drafting we are the world but it was an iconic star studded song.

Going in I never thought I'd draft Michael Jackson but Beat it had EVH making it rock.

Others I took because I liked them. I never thought of trying to "win"

Maybe I'll draft 70's differently but probably not.

I thought everyone of us had a solid draft and once again any negative comments just goes to prove how subjective music is.Speaking of the 70's draft I can guarantee it will be very interesting with the amount of genres that could be represented....Rock,Punk,Alternative,Funk,Electronica,Southern Rock,Disco,Power Pop,AM Gold.........15 guys and 16 rounds isn't even going to make a dent.

:lol:

I just finished looking up chart success for my draft,all 16 were on top 100 Billboard Charts with 10 of them in the top 20 and further more if I wanted to count Bad Love #1 on Billboard's Main Stream Rock chart and Stone Cold #1 on Billboard's Top Tracks chart it would be 12.

Looking at your list there's some good songs on there but for the most part they're pop,skating rink fodder which is why you probably can't stand half of them.Those songs had their place and I agree were a huge part of the 80's but then again every decade has that.Just because a song doesn't resonate with you and may be performed by a dinosaur or obscure artist or band does not mean it was not an essential 80's song. The Billboard chart success I listed above is proof that my picks did resonate with millions of people and I happened to be one of them thus the reason for my choices.

In prepping for this, I looked at a bunch of charts and greatest hits lists, thought they sucked and ignored them.

1/2 Corner- I'm going to set the tone heavy.

1.11 Back In Black AC/DC Voltaire

2.02 Master of Puppets Metallica Voltaire

3/4 Corner - They're taking softer stuff, seems safe to grab two songs I love here.

3.11 Tom Sawyer Rush Voltaire

4.02 Jack and Diane John Mellencamp Voltaire

5/6 Corner - I'd best get heavy again, I don't want to leave an opening for someone else

5.11 Kickstart My Heart Mötley Crüe Voltaire

6.02 Photograph Def Leppard Voltaire

7/8 Corner - Well they don't care about metal, I'm going to go get that kickass Bon Jovi's song and put my money where my mouth is on hair bands

7.11 You Give Love A Bad Name Bon Jovi Voltaire

8.02 Every Rose Has Its Thorn Poison Voltaire

9/10 corner - They're sniffing around for patriotic songs, Lee Greenwood may be a stretch, but for personal reasons (Gulf War Vet) I'm simply not letting him land on any other roster, then I'll go kick some ass with my other pick

9.11 God Bless the USA Lee Greenwood Voltaire

10.02 Rock You Like A Hurricane Scorpions Voltaire

11/12 corner - Too many guys, I need a chick. Should take another hair band too. Fock the haters. Make sure it's a heavy song.

11.11 Edge of Seventeen Stevie Nicks Voltaire

12.02 18 and Life Skid Row Voltaire

13/14 Get another couple of great songs I love here

13.11 Africa Toto Voltaire

14.02 Panama Van Halen Voltaire

15/16 I'd best stop slacking on the metal or shotsup will eat my lunch.

15.11 Run To The Hills Iron Maiden Voltaire

16.02 Breaking the Law Judas Priest Voltaire

I thought everyone of us had a solid draft and once again any negative comments just goes to prove how subjective music is.Speaking of the 70's draft I can guarantee it will be very interesting with the amount of genres that could be represented....Rock,Punk,Alternative,Funk,Electronica,Southern Rock,Disco,Power Pop,AM Gold.........15 guys and 16 rounds isn't even going to make a dent.

Could have done a 10 round draft with 12 guys in each different type of music from the 80s

There are so many good easy listening tracks no one picked

RIP Dan Fogelberg

Interesting. Many people hate that song. I can

take or leave the rap part but I dig the rhythm and melody of the verses and chorus. Its sorta trance like.

I despised the pick. Skipping the Blondie songs you left on the board to take it was heartbreaking.

I despised the pick. Skipping the Blondie songs you left on the board to take it was heartbreaking.

That's the first rap song to make billboard #1. First rap song ever played on MTV. etc. etc. I can't think of too many more influential 80's songs.

Could have done a 10 round draft with 12 guys in each different type of music from the 80s

There are so many good easy listening tracks no one picked

RIP Dan Fogelberg

:thumbsup: Drafting from an entire decade was focking hard,maybe we should've gone by the year.

BTW,Fogelberg is great my favorite has always been this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qRRp-CnkDc

That's the first rap song to make billboard #1. First rap song ever played on MTV. etc. etc. I can't think of too many more influential 80's songs.

Other than Lee Greewood, I ignored influential. And I didn't ever look at the charts other than at the very beginning when I was prepping and said "No no no no no no. Fock this. This isn't going to work. I'm not taking songs because other people tell me I should like them. The other eleven can distribute these songs amongst themselves. Have at it. I know what I like and want. I wanna go heavy and this just isn't going to cut it. Those songs aren't here." So I never bothered to look.

Which bands do I want to consider here? Which songs of theirs are eligible/available?

So if I was going to consider Blondie, I'd see Atomic, the Tide is High, whatever else. This Rapture song I don't like and would be discarded. It would be discarded BEFORE the rap part, amazingly, the rap portion actually improves the boring-ass song. And I despise rap. I'd as soon listen to Debbie Harry recite the phone book.

You guys think too much

I always go with my gut, that's why I always fail.

What about an band/artist draft?

You guys think too much

I always go with my gut, that's why I always fail.

I dunno about gut. As a DJ, you've got more experience than the rest of us. You've certainly got an ear for this stuff. You made excellent picks and even your name-dropped suggestions were great. Then the two songs I hated (NWA and Run DMV) I have to presume are two of the most well liked of their genre since nobody else took any.

I have ZERO votes?

You people are a bunch of toolbags :thumbsdown:

The Group PM said don't vote for Sux, guess you weren't on the message list. :dunno:

This is why I picked it over Call Me.

I dunno about gut. As a DJ, you've got more experience than the rest of us. You've certainly got an ear for this stuff. You made excellent picks and even your name-dropped suggestions were great. Then the two songs I hated (NWA and Run DMV) I have to presume are two of the most well liked of their genre since nobody else took any.

Thank you for the kind words. :cheers:

so many people my age LOVED hip hop in the late 80s and that was high school for me.

people may not like hip hop, but you can't deny the impact it had.

This was extremely hard to vote on.

I'm not sure I really even like the voting aspect to be honest. Are we taking songs we like or are we taking songs we think voters will like?

Thank you for the kind words. :cheers:

so many people my age LOVED hip hop in the late 80s and that was high school for me.

I'd slay the hip-hop in a 90's draft. My draft would be all Hip-Hop, TOOL, Radiohead, Flaming Lips and Pixies. Maybe a little Sonic Youth to be vuduesque. :music_guitarred:

• Like 1

I'm not sure I really even like the voting aspect to be honest. Are we taking songs we like or are we taking songs we think voters will like?

That's why I never do well. I don't ever think of what other's will like. I do my thang.

Band/Artist draft,

lets do it

There are a couple of songs on your list that Id never consider as well. Hated them at the time and still do today.

To each their own.

That's why I never do well. I don't ever think of what other's will like. I do my thang.

Band/Artist draft,

lets do it

that could make for some great wedding/dj moments.

Bride: i like to request Celebration by Kool and the Gang

Edjr: I like to request you lay off the cake tubby and let me do my job.

• Like 1