Sign in to follow this  
Gepetto

The United States is losing the war against Al Qaeda = ISIS

Because of the decision by the Obama administration (to pull our troops out of Iraq) based on the weak in our country who support a passive foreign policy. McCain said when campaigning 6 years ago that we needed to maintain troops in Iraq for multiple years into the future.

ISIS was formely considered Al Qaeda. It's just a new name now that they have control of Iraq and Syria now. They are Islamic and don't forget that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/06/10/isis-the-al-qaeda-linked-islamists-powerful-enough-to-capture-a-key-iraqi-city/

BEIRUT — Since U.S. troops withdrew from Iraq in December 2011, the al-Qaeda affiliate they spent years battling to vanquish has expanded its reach to the extent that it now controls what amounts to a state of its own across vast areas of Syria and Iraq.

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) effectively governs a nation-size tract of territory that stretches from the eastern edge of the Syrian city of Aleppo to Fallujah in western Iraq – and now also includes the northern Iraqi city of Mosul.

The fall of Mosul to the extremists on Tuesday, after the apparent collapse of Iraqi security forces there, offers only the latest example of the extraordinary resurgence of the militant organization in the past 2½ years, aided to a large extent by the vacuum of authority in neighboring Syria.

The al-Qaeda in Iraq organization that confronted U.S. troops has since renamed itself to reflect its expanded activities in Syria, and it has fallen out with the al-Qaeda leadership. It has also become a far more lethal, effective and powerful force than it was when U.S. forces were present in Iraq.

“This is a force that is ideologically motivated, battle hardened and incredibly well equipped,” said Douglas Ollivant of the New America Foundation, who advised the Obama and George W. Bush administrations on Iraq, served two tours of duty in that country and has business interests there. “It also runs the equivalent of a state. It has all the trappings of a state, just not an internationally recognized one.”

Members of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria march at an undisclosed location. (Agence France-Presse via Getty Images)

ISIS owes its resurrection in no small part to the chaos in Syria, where large swaths of territory in areas bordering Iraq were falling out of government control just as U.S. troops were leaving, Ollivant said.

Most of ISIS’s expansion has come in the past year, however, after the group’s Iraqi leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, announced its new mission in Syria and began recruiting across the northern and eastern parts of the country that were under rebel control. ISIS lured into its ranks the bulk of the thousands of foreign volunteers, some from Europe and the United States, who have streamed into Syria to wage jihad, further bolstering its numbers.

The group’s exact strength is not known, but Aymenn al-Tamimi, who monitors jihadist activity for the Middle East Forum, said its swift takeover of Mosul at a time when it is also fighting on other fronts suggests that it has a larger force than the 10,000 or so men it is widely reported to control.

While other Syrian rebel groups were focused primarily on fighting forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad, ISIS invested as much energy in establishing the “state” referenced by its name. It quickly asserted control over the province of Raqqah and late last year declared the city of Raqqah the capital of its state.

Moderate rebel groups complain that ISIS’s rise has been aided by the relative disinterest shown by Syrian government forces in the areas under the group's control, which are rarely subjected to airstrikes and bombardment.

That has helped the group set up its own version of a government. It runs courts, schools and services, flying its ubiquitous black-and-white flag over every facility it controls. In Raqqah, it recently launched a consumer protection authority to uphold food standards.

ISIS members at an undisclosed location in Iraq's Anbar province. (Agence France-Presse via Getty Images)

The group also appears to command significant resources. In the eastern Syrian province of Deir al-Zour, it has seized control of oil fields, expanding its sources of financing — largely extortion networks in Mosul that predate the U.S. withdrawal. It is also thought to have received funding from wealthy, private donors in the Sunni countries of the Persian Gulf that, at least until now, has eclipsed the meager aid dispatched by the more-moderate rebels’ Western allies.

ISIS’s harsh tactics, including the strict imposition of Islamic punishments such as beheadings and amputations, have aroused considerable resentment among many Syrians living under its control. In January, ISIS suffered a significant setback when moderate rebel groups rose up against it and ejected its fighters from many parts of northern Idlib and Aleppo provinces.

But ISIS has since consolidated its hold over the areas it does control and is now on the offensive again, focusing on towns and cities farther east. Last week, it also launched an assault on the central Iraqi city of Samarra but was pushed back by Iraqi security forces.

It has also carried out an attack aimed at driving more-moderate rebels out of the opposition-held portion of the city of Deir al-Zour, where fierce fighting continues to rage.

The fall of Mosul also offers insights into the shortcomings of the U.S.-trained Iraqi security forces, who are widely reported to have fled in the face of the advancing militants overnight Monday.

But their training focused primarily on counterinsurgency and not on confronting a full-fledged paramilitary force such as the one ISIS now commands, Ollivant said.

“Al-Qaeda in Iraq didn’t really fight the Americans. They were great bomb-makers and kidnappers, but if caught in a firefight, they would probably get killed because they weren’t good line infantry,” he said. “Now that has been fixed."

Liz Sly is the Post’s Beirut bureau chief. She has spent more than 15 years covering the Middle East, including the Iraq war. Other postings include Africa, China and Afghanistan.

And none of this is his fault. Remember that. He's a Nobel Peace Prize recipient. Hope and Change.

That's funny, I remember at least one of you guys crediting Bush's timetable for withdrawal when we pulled out of Iraq. Now because of Isis it was a bad idea to leave Iraq. :doh:

ETA: We should never have been there in the first place and no amount of manpower or resources is ever going to fix that region.

That's funny, I remember at least one of you guys crediting Bush's timetable for withdrawal when we pulled out of Iraq. Now because of Isis it was a bad idea to leave Iraq. :doh:

ETA: We should never have been there in the first place and no amount of manpower or resources is ever going to fix that region.

Are you implying that Obama's timeline was actually Bush's. :overhead: And I don't recall Bush ever stating that we would fully withdraw from Iraq. That was Obama's fairy tale dream that we wouldn't be needed any more.

wasn't there a date set with the iraqi govt that we had to leave or the soldiers could be tried for crimes and not covered by the agreement between the 2 countries? right?

isis says their primary target for takeover is the saudi oil fields. or is that saudi just saying that so they can protect their own isis interests?

what a mess. if we went there for the oil, why does isis control it and not us?

Are you implying that Obama's timeline was actually Bush's. :overhead: .

No, that was RP's standard line whenever someone credited Obummer with getting us out of Iraq. :lol:

I don't care whose timeline it was, leaving was the right call.

No, that was RP's standard line whenever someone credited Obummer with getting us out of Iraq. :lol:

I don't care whose timeline it was, leaving was the right call.

Never going in was the right call. Unfortunately the Bush Administration didn't make that call and instead actively lied to the American public to start that ill-conceived venture. At that point "cutting and running" became an inevitability

Never going in was the right call. Unfortunately the Bush Administration didn't make that call and instead actively lied to the American public to start that ill-conceived venture. At that point "cutting and running" became an inevitability

Cutting and running doesn't have to be an inevitability, we just have to hang around until the crazy Muslims stop acting like crazy Muslims. Another 1000 or two years ought to do it.

We could go into Iraq with 100,000 troops, but the beatdown on Isis, establish some puppet government etc. and 5 years later some other group would take its place. The dumbarses whining about Isis now are the same who wanted this war in the first place. Wrong in 2002/3, wrong today, wrong 10 years from now. Just GTFO.

What's so nice about ISIS is that they hate Shiites more than us. They're also fighting against Hezbollah, keeping them distracted. We've got a good thing going, why fock that up?

Al Qaeda is the enemy to focus on. Every time a crazed jihading Sunni travels to Iraq/Syria to join ISIS, great. Go. That's one less going to Afganistan/Pakistan to join Al Qaeda, is in turn one less to worry about as far as I'm concerned. And if they're coming from the US or Europe, leave them there, revoke citizenship.

Just make sure the Kurds have enough arms and air support to defend themselves. As for Syria, Iran and the cowardly Iraqi Shiites who can't surrender fast enough ... good luck with that. :wave:

I really think I missed my calling in life. I was supposed to be a mortician in Iraq. Every day would be like Christmas.

You'd like that, wouldn't you?

like what? if they took the saudi oil fields? no, then we'd have higher fuel prices than we already have. if the saudi's are really funding isis? we'll see. president asked saudi to join us. if they do, they'd be fighting themselves. kinda like we will be doing. but, that's what we do. sell arms to the turd world, fund them to overthrow someone else in the turd world, then we use our war machine to put things back in line until we need to do it again. what am i missing so far? oh, the part where they need funding to re-establish a country, then we use the imf to loan them money they can't pay back, so we take ownership of their assets. that's why this putin/china currency thing is another ruse. we own russia through the imf bank.

like what? if they took the saudi oil fields? no, then we'd have higher fuel prices than we already have. if the saudi's are really funding isis? we'll see. president asked saudi to join us. if they do, they'd be fighting themselves. kinda like we will be doing. but, that's what we do. sell arms to the turd world, fund them to overthrow someone else in the turd world, then we use our war machine to put things back in line until we need to do it again. what am i missing so far? oh, the part where they need funding to re-establish a country, then we use the imf to loan them money they can't pay back, so we take ownership of their assets. that's why this putin/china currency thing is another ruse. we own russia through the imf bank.

It was addressed to the OP. Some conservatives seem to almost be rooting for ISIS as they have rooted for Putin. The enemy of their enemy (Obama) is their friend kinda deal

The only difference I see is that we went into Iraq with the approval of congress, now the POTUS is acting on his own.

It was addressed to the OP. Some conservatives seem to almost be rooting for ISIS as they have rooted for Putin. The enemy of their enemy (Obama) is their friend kinda deal

i hear ya. both sides, though. i heard megan kelly interviewing ward churchill. he is salivating that isis, or some other muslim terrorist group, will soon bomb us, as if that's going to punish republicans by killing a bunch of us off. there's something strange going on with the mentality on both sides of the aisle in our country. i don't recall it with bush 1 or clinton, or even bush 2 until the end of term. i think all 4 of them are the same president, but a strange tide has turned. whether it has to do with the economic climate of the past 8 years or whatever, we've divided our own house.

i hate it that we've stopped the fighter flyovers at football games. you've got to show the power to keep moral up.

Brzezinski’s Interview with Le Nouvel Observateur

Le Nouvel Observateur: Former CIA director Robert Gates states in his memoirs: The American secret services began six months before the Soviet intervention to support the Mujahideen [in Afghanistan]. At that time you were president Carters security advisor; thus you played a key role in this affair. Do you confirm this statement?

Zbigniew Brzezinski: Yes. According to the official version, the CIA’s support for the Mujahideen began in 1980, i.e. after the Soviet army’s invasion of Afghanistan on 24 December 1979. But the reality, which was kept secret until today, is completely different:

Actually it was on 3 July 1979 that president Carter signed the first directive for the secret support of the opposition against the pro-Soviet regime in Kabul. And on the same day I wrote a note, in which I explained to the president that this support would in my opinion lead to a military intervention by the Soviets.

Le Nouvel Observateur: Despite this risk you were a supporter of this covert action? But perhaps you expected the Soviets to enter this war and tried to provoke it?

Zbigniew Brzezinski: It’s not exactly like that. We didn’t push the Russians to intervene but we knowingly increased the probability that they would do it.

Le Nouvel Observateur: When the Soviets justified their intervention with the statement that they were fighting against a secret US interference in Afghanistan, nobody believed them. Nevertheless there was a core of truth to this…Do you regret nothing today?

Zbigniew Brzezinski: Regret what? This secret operation was an excellent idea. It lured the Russians into the Afghan trap, and you would like me to regret that? On the day when the Soviets officially crossed the border, I wrote president Carter, in essence:

“We now have the opportunity to provide the USSR with their Viet Nam war.” Indeed for ten years Moscow had to conduct a war that was intolerable for the regime, a conflict which involved the demoralization and finally the breakup of the Soviet Empire.

Le Nouvel Observateur: And also, don’t you regret having helped future terrorists, having given them weapons and advice?

Zbigniew Brzezinski: What is most important for world history? The Taliban or the fall of the Soviet Empire? Some Islamic hotheads or the liberation of Central Europe and the end of the cold war?

Le Nouvel Observateur: “Some hotheads?” But it has been said time and time again: today Islamic fundamentalism represents a world-wide threat…

Zbigniew Brzezinski: Rubbish! It’s said that the West has a global policy regarding Islam. That’s hogwash: there is no global Islam. Let’s look at Islam in a rational and not a demagogic or emotional way. It is the first world religion with 1.5 billion adherents. But what is there in common between fundamentalist Saudi Arabia, moderate Morocco, militaristic Pakistan, pro-Western Egypt and secularized Central Asia? Nothing more than that which connects the Christian countries…

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2013/04/20/the-cias-founding-of-al-qaeda-documented/

ISIS Leader Abu Bakr Al Baghdadi Trained by Israeli Mossad, NSA Documents Reveal

The former employee at US National Security Agency (NSA), Edward Snowden, has revealed that the British and American intelligence and the Mossad worked together to create the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

Snowden said intelligence services of three countries created a terrorist organisation that is able to attract all extremists of the world to one place, using a strategy called “the hornet’s nest”.

NSA documents refer to recent implementation of the hornet’s nest to protect the Zionist entity by creating religious and Islamic slogans.

According to documents released by Snowden, “The only solution for the protection of the Jewish state “is to create an enemy near its borders”.

Leaks revealed that ISIS leader and cleric Abu Bakr Al Baghdadi took intensive military training for a whole year in the hands of Mossad, besides courses in theology and the art of speech.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/isis-leader-abu-bakr-al-baghdadi-trained-by-israeli-mossad-nsa-documents-reveal/5391593

ISIS Terror Leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi Was Released By Obama from Camp Bucca in 2009 Posted by Jim Hoft on Thursday, June 12, 2014, 7:23 PM

Abu Bakr al Baghdadi, the leader of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), has transformed a few terror cells on the verge of extinction into the most dangerous militant group in the world.

Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi or Abu Dua was once held by the US in Camp Bucca Iraq.

(The Telegraph)

But the Obama administration shut down the Bucca prison camp and released its prisoners, including Abu Dua in 2009.

The Telegraph reported:

Al-Qaeda ISIS members from ISIS celebrate in Diyala Province, Iraq.

The FBI “most wanted” mugshot shows a tough, swarthy figure, his hair in a jailbird crew-cut. The $10 million price on his head, meanwhile, suggests that whoever released him from US custody four years ago may now be regretting it…

…Well-organised and utterly ruthless, the ex-preacher is the driving force behind al-Qaeda’s resurgence throughout Syria and Iraq, putting it at the forefront of the war to topple President Bashar al-Assad and starting a fresh campaign of mayhem against the Western-backed government in Baghdad.

On Tuesday, his forces achieved their biggest coup in Iraq to date, seizing control of government buildings in Mosul, the country’s third biggest city. Coming on top of similar operations in January that planted the black jihadi flag in the towns of Fallujah and Ramadi, it gives al-Qaeda control of large swathes of the north and west of the country, and poses the biggest security crisis since the US pull-out two years ago…

…“This guy was a Salafi (a follower of a fundamentalist brand of Islam), and Saddam’s regime would have kept a close eye on him,” said Dr Michael Knights, an Iraq expert at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy.

“He was also in Camp Bucca for several years, which suggests he was already considered a serious threat when he went in there.”

That theory seems backed by US intelligence reports from 2005, which describe him as al-Qaeda’s point man in Qaim, a fly-blown town in Iraq’s western desert.

“Abu Duaa was connected to the intimidation, torture and murder of local civilians in Qaim”, says a Pentagon document. “He would kidnap individuals or entire families, accuse them, pronounce sentence and then publicly execute them.”

Why such a ferocious individual was deemed fit for release in 2009 is not known. One possible explanation is that he was one of thousands of suspected insurgents granted amnesty as the US began its draw down in Iraq. Another, though, is that rather like Keyser Söze, the enigmatic crimelord in the film The Usual Suspects, he may actually be several different people.

Democracy Now added this on the closing of Camp Bucca in 2009.

The US meanwhile has closed Camp Bucca, once its largest prison in Iraq. The Pentagon says it’s transferred Bucca’s remaining 180 prisoners to two jails near Baghdad. US Lieutenant Colonel Kenneth King said the prison’s closure comes as part of the US-Iraq security deal.

Camp Bucca once hosted thousands of prisoners without charge, with many allegations of torture and abuse by US guards.

Lieutenant Colonel Kenneth King: “As a show of progress for the security agreement and moving forward the government of Iraq, we’re going to put the theater internment facility as a piece of history. And we’re going to — it will be history, and we’ll move forward from here and progress.”

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/06/isis-terror-leader-abu-bakr-al-baghdadi-was-released-by-obama-from-camp-bucca-in-2009/?PageSpeed=noscript

Because of the decision by the Obama administration (to pull our troops out of Iraq) based on the weak in our country who support a passive foreign policy. McCain said when campaigning 6 years ago that we needed to maintain troops in Iraq for multiple years into the future.

ISIS was formely considered Al Qaeda. It's just a new name now that they have control of Iraq and Syria now. They are Islamic and don't forget that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/06/10/isis-the-al-qaeda-linked-islamists-powerful-enough-to-capture-a-key-iraqi-city/

BEIRUT — Since U.S. troops withdrew from Iraq in December 2011, the al-Qaeda affiliate they spent years battling to vanquish has expanded its reach to the extent that it now controls what amounts to a state of its own across vast areas of Syria and Iraq.

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) effectively governs a nation-size tract of territory that stretches from the eastern edge of the Syrian city of Aleppo to Fallujah in western Iraq – and now also includes the northern Iraqi city of Mosul.

The fall of Mosul to the extremists on Tuesday, after the apparent collapse of Iraqi security forces there, offers only the latest example of the extraordinary resurgence of the militant organization in the past 2½ years, aided to a large extent by the vacuum of authority in neighboring Syria.

The al-Qaeda in Iraq organization that confronted U.S. troops has since renamed itself to reflect its expanded activities in Syria, and it has fallen out with the al-Qaeda leadership. It has also become a far more lethal, effective and powerful force than it was when U.S. forces were present in Iraq.

“This is a force that is ideologically motivated, battle hardened and incredibly well equipped,” said Douglas Ollivant of the New America Foundation, who advised the Obama and George W. Bush administrations on Iraq, served two tours of duty in that country and has business interests there. “It also runs the equivalent of a state. It has all the trappings of a state, just not an internationally recognized one.”

Members of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria march at an undisclosed location. (Agence France-Presse via Getty Images)

ISIS owes its resurrection in no small part to the chaos in Syria, where large swaths of territory in areas bordering Iraq were falling out of government control just as U.S. troops were leaving, Ollivant said.

Most of ISIS’s expansion has come in the past year, however, after the group’s Iraqi leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, announced its new mission in Syria and began recruiting across the northern and eastern parts of the country that were under rebel control. ISIS lured into its ranks the bulk of the thousands of foreign volunteers, some from Europe and the United States, who have streamed into Syria to wage jihad, further bolstering its numbers.

The group’s exact strength is not known, but Aymenn al-Tamimi, who monitors jihadist activity for the Middle East Forum, said its swift takeover of Mosul at a time when it is also fighting on other fronts suggests that it has a larger force than the 10,000 or so men it is widely reported to control.

While other Syrian rebel groups were focused primarily on fighting forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad, ISIS invested as much energy in establishing the “state” referenced by its name. It quickly asserted control over the province of Raqqah and late last year declared the city of Raqqah the capital of its state.

Moderate rebel groups complain that ISIS’s rise has been aided by the relative disinterest shown by Syrian government forces in the areas under the group's control, which are rarely subjected to airstrikes and bombardment.

That has helped the group set up its own version of a government. It runs courts, schools and services, flying its ubiquitous black-and-white flag over every facility it controls. In Raqqah, it recently launched a consumer protection authority to uphold food standards.

ISIS members at an undisclosed location in Iraq's Anbar province. (Agence France-Presse via Getty Images)

The group also appears to command significant resources. In the eastern Syrian province of Deir al-Zour, it has seized control of oil fields, expanding its sources of financing — largely extortion networks in Mosul that predate the U.S. withdrawal. It is also thought to have received funding from wealthy, private donors in the Sunni countries of the Persian Gulf that, at least until now, has eclipsed the meager aid dispatched by the more-moderate rebels’ Western allies.

ISIS’s harsh tactics, including the strict imposition of Islamic punishments such as beheadings and amputations, have aroused considerable resentment among many Syrians living under its control. In January, ISIS suffered a significant setback when moderate rebel groups rose up against it and ejected its fighters from many parts of northern Idlib and Aleppo provinces.

But ISIS has since consolidated its hold over the areas it does control and is now on the offensive again, focusing on towns and cities farther east. Last week, it also launched an assault on the central Iraqi city of Samarra but was pushed back by Iraqi security forces.

It has also carried out an attack aimed at driving more-moderate rebels out of the opposition-held portion of the city of Deir al-Zour, where fierce fighting continues to rage.

The fall of Mosul also offers insights into the shortcomings of the U.S.-trained Iraqi security forces, who are widely reported to have fled in the face of the advancing militants overnight Monday.

But their training focused primarily on counterinsurgency and not on confronting a full-fledged paramilitary force such as the one ISIS now commands, Ollivant said.

“Al-Qaeda in Iraq didn’t really fight the Americans. They were great bomb-makers and kidnappers, but if caught in a firefight, they would probably get killed because they weren’t good line infantry,” he said. “Now that has been fixed."

Liz Sly is the Post’s Beirut bureau chief. She has spent more than 15 years covering the Middle East, including the Iraq war. Other postings include Africa, China and Afghanistan.

I thought Iraq was an apple pie eating democracy, symbol of freedom in the middle east. That didn't happen? :dunno:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=83230240461&comment_id=9272572&offset=0&total_comments=71

ISIS is a creation of the United States and the West. Financed and armed by us to fight the Syrian gov't.

Wouldn't be the first time that sort of thing blew up in our faces

In the past people would joke about arming both sides and then letting them kill each other off. It looks like that is our plan.

Unless it happens on american soil, it didnt hapen as far as im concerned. They can kill eachother all they want. Get our troops out of it and let them be. 911 and the boston bombing, those are the only 2 events i consider relevant. the tens of thousands killed in service overseas are victims of our pretend war on terror and died for nothing and its terribly tragic. When iraqi warships pull up to the california coastline and troops start spilling out, then ill consider it a war.

Unless it happens on american soil, it didnt hapen as far as im concerned. They can kill eachother all they want. Get our troops out of it and let them be. 911 and the boston bombing, those are the only 2 events i consider relevant. the tens of thousands killed in service overseas are victims of our pretend war on terror and died for nothing and its terribly tragic. When iraqi warships pull up to the california coastline and troops start spilling out, then ill consider it a war.

100% :thumbsup:

Unless it happens on american soil, it didnt hapen... When iraqi warships pull up to the california coastline and troops start spilling out, then ill consider it a war.

Yes, that's the right time to start devising a strategy to deal with them, as they disembark their warships in San Francisco Bay. :rolleyes:

What if they, instead, fill a commercial airliner with nukes and detonate it over the U.S.? It's a little late to try to stop them at that point.

Snowden said intelligence services of three countries created a terrorist organisation that is able to attract all extremists of the world to one place, using a strategy called “the hornet’s nest”.

NSA documents refer to recent implementation of the hornet’s nest to protect the Zionist entity by creating religious and Islamic slogans.

According to documents released by Snowden, “The only solution for the protection of the Jewish state “is to create an enemy near its borders”.

Leaks revealed that ISIS leader and cleric Abu Bakr Al Baghdadi took intensive military training for a whole year in the hands of Mossad, besides courses in theology and the art of speech.

what does this mean? “The only solution for the protection of the Jewish state “is to create an enemy near its borders”.

israel is creating their own enemy to lob rockets at them so they can protect themselves?

Keep in mind that ISIS/ISIL is a distinction based on geography. When you hear the term ISIL, as the president does, you are winking at groups such as the muslim brotherhood that you dont see Isreal as a nation

Interesting BudBro. A conservative/throwback Muslim group that wants to establish a Caliphate for only pure Muslims, but hasn't uttered peep about wiping Israel/Jews off the face of the Earth. Instead, they're focused on attacking Shiites, Christians, Yazidis and the secular Syrian gov't. Hmmm.

Interesting BudBro. A conservative/throwback Muslim group that wants to establish a Caliphate for only pure Muslims, but hasn't uttered peep about wiping Israel/Jews off the face of the Earth. Instead, they're focused on attacking Shiites, Christians, Yazidis and the secular Syrian gov't. Hmmm.

i can't put it together. it says that the current isis leader was trained in israel, was in our prison camp in iraq, and was released.

I think you have put it together.

no. help. just for american money to flow to israel? while american money is flowing to isis? and egypt? and saudi? and iraq?

what happens if we cut them all off?

They were put together to defeat the Assad gov't. and included Muslim fighters from North Africa and the Middle East. They were losing against Assad, especially as they pushed West. We drew a line and then Putin interfered with that threat. Now thousands of armed and trained insurgents, alleged to be Sunnis then focus on Shiites and others in Iraq. Go East. What is the dominant sect of Islam in Iran? What was the dominant sect of Islam in charge of Iraq? How do thousands of trained and armed Sunni fighters find themselves coagulated to a common cause in Western Iraq/Eastern Syria and suddenly pop up with an announcement of creating a Caliphate there? This is a manufactured entity looking to smash a corridor of Shiites from Iran through Iraq and then through the secular Assad gov't. to the Mediterranean and North to the Turkey border. Again, not one mention of destroying their age-old enemy the Jews.

They were put together to defeat the Assad gov't. and included Muslim fighters from North Africa and the Middle East. They were losing against Assad, especially as they pushed West. We drew a line and then Putin interfered with that threat. Now thousands of armed and trained insurgents, alleged to be Sunnis then focus on Shiites and others in Iraq. Go East. What is the dominant sect of Islam in Iran? What was the dominant sect of Islam in charge of Iraq? How do thousands of trained and armed Sunni fighters find themselves coagulated to a common cause in Western Iraq/Eastern Syria and suddenly pop up with an announcement of creating a Caliphate there? This is a manufactured entity looking to smash a corridor of Shiites from Iran through Iraq and then through the secular Assad gov't. to the Mediterranean and North to the Turkey border. Again, not one mention of destroying their age-old enemy the Jews.

He (Khomeini) did to Shiites what Zionism did to the Jews; giving them political weight, money, and a leader to follow. Al-Baghdadi thinks he can do just that, feeding off a fact that there is not a single “Sunni leader” in the Arab World. The job is vacant and he wants to fill it.

Due to the tragic war, there is no Sunni leader in Syria. There is no Sunni leader in Lebanon after the 2005 murder of Rafik al-Hariri. There is no Sunni leader in Iraq after the execution of Saddam Hussein in 2006. All Sunni figures who have emerged since then - from Tarek al-Hashemi in Iraq to Saad al-Hariri in Lebanon, are mediocre - to say the least. Sunnis of today are where the Shiites were 35-years ago; they feel weak, headless, victimised, and abandoned.

Turkish President-elect Recep Tayyip Erdogan tried to play the role of Sunni leader, but his political ambitions got in the way. Along with the fact that he is a non-Arab, he always had a language and cultural barrier with Arab Muslims.

The House of Saud tried to play the role of Sunni leadership in the Arab and Muslim worlds, but their form of radical Wahabi Islam always got in the way of their success - along with the advanced age of their monarchs, who have all been way past retirement age.

This is what makes Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi so dangerous. He is young and ambitious, playing in fertile and void territory.

There is genuine fear that his Sunni victimisation campaign will work and that people might tilt towards his distorted form of religion. He controls oil fields, after all, which can certainly be used to buy allegiance. Whether he personally survives or not is not important.

He might depart the scene soon, but the school of thought that he is establishing is dangerous and needs to be combated. One way of course is to create an alternative Sunni leadership throughout the Muslim World. Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi doesn’t represent Sunni Muslims, and nor does IS. This cannot be stressed enough. Somewhere along the way, the de-Sunnification of IS and Baghdadi needs to take place - and it needs to start immediately.

http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/de-sunnification-and-abu-bakr-al-baghdadi-1673039416

Posted: September 6, 2014

ISIS Leader Killed: Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi Reportedly Killed By U.S. Airstrike

http://www.inquisitr.com/1457912/isis-leader-killed-abu-bakr-al-baghdadi-reportedly-killed-by-u-s-airstrike/

Obama authorizes the U.S. military to target the head of ISIS, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi As part of his expanded campaign against the vicious jihadist group, Obama lifted restrictions that prevented the militatry from going after specific ISIS leaders
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Thursday, September 11, 2014, 5:27 PM

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/obama-pentagon-target-isis-leaders-article-1.1936754

so, we have another terrorist leader that's dead, but we are going after him.

the leader makes mention of overtaking rome and spain, yet no mention of israel.

putin provides assad with weapons, and iran backs syria also.

does isis have our weapons from the benghazi mess? and are the saudi's arming isis?

shouldn't our primary target still be assad? (maybe it is, i don't know)

does russia have the assets and the cash to make a real difference, or is this just hot-air by a bunch of bullies trying to make a show of themselves?

as an aside, the duck dynasty guys should shed the beards. the al-baghdadi guy looks just like them.

The United States is losing the war against Al Qaeda = ISIS

Whew... I saw the first part and thought we were losing the basketball world championships

Budbro, why should our main target be Assad. Ruler of a multi-ethnic, multi-religious country with a secular gov't. that allows those different practicing faiths. Sounds more like the United States. Except for the fact that Syria is aligned with Russia and Assad's father attacked Israel.

I couldn't prove it, but I think some of the ISIS fighters are from Libya and attacked and killed our Ambassador Stevens after being armed by our spooks, then made their way to the Syrian conflict through Egypt or Turkey. Syria is standing in the way of something ... whether that's a natural gas pipeline from Saudi to Eurpoe via Turkey I don't know, but I've seen that speculation.

Budbro, why should our main target be Assad. Ruler of a multi-ethnic, multi-religious country with a secular gov't. that allows those different practicing faiths. Sounds more like the United States. Except for the fact that Syria is aligned with Russia and Assad's father attacked Israel.

I couldn't prove it, but I think some of the ISIS fighters are from Libya and attacked and killed our Ambassador Stevens after being armed by our spooks, then made their way to the Syrian conflict through Egypt or Turkey. Syria is standing in the way of something ... whether that's a natural gas pipeline from Saudi to Eurpoe via Turkey I don't know, but I've seen that speculation.

:dunno: ok, so what's our role in the game here? lay it out. what's the benghazi bombshell?

Again, I don't know for sure why Syria needs to go. ISIS? They went too far off the reservation. Even though it's our Frankenstein, because of world outcry against their atrocities, we have to get involved against them or at least appear so.