Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Gluten

Seems to be the latest thing neurotic helicopter parents to worry over.

Seriously, I've heard people making their kids go gluten free to cure everything from Autism to Cancer.

My cousin's wife can't stop babbling about it and spends a fortune on Gluten-free shiit that tastes like hell.

I read something interesting the other day:

1) Less than 1% of the population has Celiac disease.

2) On average, products labeled "Gluten Free" are 242% more expensive than their regular counterparts.

Its been going on for awhile now and its the dumbest thing ever. Heres how the plague starts...One of your aquaintances will tell a story that they lost x pounds going gluten free. That story will evolve to their whole family having celiac disease thus making it mandatory. This will spread to many people you know who want to desperately lose weight or be a part of something cool but dont want to admit they are fad chasing. You will then hear stories how man was not meant to eat wheat and wheat is so bad for you its like poison. Nevermind wheat being the only reason that humans were able to explode in population enough to colonize the world.

Dumbfocks who see dumbfock celebrities* doing it, and want to imitate them.

*Obviously excluding the few of them who actually have Celiac.

While gluten free fads are silly, there are benefits from going gluten free. Our bodies have trouble breaking down some of that and if you cut back on gluten products a bit, you will feel better. I've done it. While celiac is not common, simple gluten intolerance is actually fairly common.

No need to buy gluten free high priced but I cut down on morning bagels, pizza during lunch, etc etc

No need to buy gluten free high priced ###### but I cut down on morning bagels, pizza during lunch, etc etc

We used to call that the low-carb diet.

Which replaced the hi-carb, low fat diet.

Its been going on for awhile now and its the dumbest thing ever. Heres how the plague starts...One of your aquaintances will tell a story that they lost x pounds going gluten free. That story will evolve to their whole family having celiac disease thus making it mandatory. This will spread to many people you know who want to desperately lose weight or be a part of something cool but dont want to admit they are fad chasing. You will then hear stories how man was not meant to eat wheat and wheat is so bad for you its like poison. Nevermind wheat being the only reason that humans were able to explode in population enough to colonize the world.

:lol:

True story

While gluten free fads are silly, there are benefits from going gluten free. Our bodies have trouble breaking down some of that ###### and if you cut back on gluten products a bit, you will feel better. I've done it. While celiac is not common, simple gluten intolerance is actually fairly common.

No need to buy gluten free high priced ###### but I cut down on morning bagels, pizza during lunch, etc etc

Iv heard this and am leaning towards believing it but I also know the incredible power of placebo. I think people just cut out gluten believing it will help them feel better so it does. I think its people eating less and cutting back on all food portiuons thats helping them lose weight, not the wheat. If I gave you sugar pills but told you they were magic and would make you feel better, as long as you believed they would work, you would feel better.

drobs will definitely win this thread, and it's spelled "glutton". HTH.

:first:

Iv heard this and am leaning towards believing it but I also know the incredible power of placebo. I think people just cut out gluten believing it will help them feel better so it does. I think its people eating less and cutting back on all food portiuons thats helping them lose weight, not the wheat. If I gave you sugar pills but told you they were magic and would make you feel better, as long as you believed they would work, you would feel better.

I can't comment on weight loss aspect as that's not why I did it. I weigh 185 pounds. I did it because I was feeling extremely tired, lethargic, etc and stomach discomfort.

In fact, while I'm sure there are people who do it to lose weight (Atkins diet is basically gluten free), I don't know a single person who went gluten free or cut back on gluten in order to lose weight. It was all about simply feeling better and/or stomach issues. Gluten intolerance can hit you in a number of different ways. Headaches, stomach aches, IBS, skin rashes.....

I'm not fat :(

That was still hilarious.

You're right about the placebo effect, but there may be gluten intolerance independent of celiac disease as well. Celiac disease itself is pretty common, affecting about 1% of the general population. Some researchers estimate gluten sensitivity occurs in up to 10%. So the glutenophobes may be crazy, bandwagon placebo lovers, or have genuine illness.

As an aside, you make another good point about diets. Low-carb is not superior to low fat, rather anything that cuts food portions/calories can work. The comparative studies for low-carb vs. low fat are apples-to-oranges.

less than 1 percent is now considered fairly common?

For a heritable disease, yes. With respect to gluten sensitivity, the number is closer to 10%. About the same as the number of people with diabetes, or the percentage of people who get the flu each season.

For a heritable disease, yes. With respect to gluten sensitivity, the number is closer to 10%. About the same as the number of people with diabetes, or the percentage of people who get the flu each season.

Rollseyes

Not my problem you don't understand disease prevalence. What would you call a common disease?

Wiffle might say alcoholism :ninja:

Not my problem you don't understand disease prevalence. What would you call a common disease?

You normally seem like one of the smarter guys here, so I have no intention of getting into :argue: with you.

But I think you're mistaken on a few points.

There's a BIG focking difference between a legitimate disease like Celiac - wherein one lacks the necessary proteins / enzymes to process Gluten - and "sensitivity".

To wit: Do you know how many people have literally died (or almost died) from excess exposure to capsasin?

Can you imagine me trying to sell you a bag of carrots for 300 times their cost with the label "Capsasin Free?"

Too much Triptophan can cause extreme sleepiness - How about I do the same for ground beef?

Hell, if I eat too much pizza, I get gassy and bloated - I have a sensitivity to too much lactose - do I have a focking lactose "disease"? No.

And how do I fix that? I merely eat less of it. Doesn't mean I have a GD "disease". And I don't pay 200% more for "lactose free" Gatorade.

So this bullshiit that "sensitivity" is the same as a legitimate "disease" - there are people who literally die if exposed to the sun - others merely burn more easily than others if they stay out too long. The former are a SERIOUS minority of the population. The latter? Not so much. - This is no different.

So stop trying to act like "Sensitivity" is equivalent to a legitimate disease. Hell, at a certain level, we're all "sensitive" to virtually everything on the planet - including water.

lactose intolerance doesn't exist? why does it have to be a disease? stop being so dramatic about the subject, you sound like a moron

You normally seem like one of the smarter guys here, so I have no intention of getting into :argue: with you.

But I think you're mistaken on a few points.

There's a BIG focking difference between a legitimate disease like Celiac - wherein one lacks the necessary proteins / enzymes to process Gluten - and "sensitivity".

To wit: Do you know how many people have literally died (or almost died) from excess exposure to capsasin?

Can you imagine me trying to sell you a bag of carrots for 300 times their cost with the label "Capsasin Free?"

Too much Triptophan can cause extreme sleepiness - How about I do the same for ground beef?

Hell, if I eat too much pizza, I get gassy and bloated - I have a sensitivity to too much lactose - do I have a focking lactose "disease"? No.

And how do I fix that? I merely eat less of it. Doesn't mean I have a GD "disease". And I don't pay 200% more for "lactose free" Gatorade.

So this bullshiit that "sensitivity" is the same as a legitimate "disease" - there are people who literally die if exposed to the sun - others merely burn more easily than others if they stay out too long. The former are a SERIOUS minority of the population. The latter? Not so much. - This is no different.

So stop trying to act like "Sensitivity" is equivalent to a legitimate disease. Hell, at a certain level, we're all "sensitive" to virtually everything on the planet - including water.

OK, so you're hung up on the word "disease". Celiac disease is pretty common, and appears that gluten intolerance is even more prevalent. The latter is spectrum of symptoms that can be ameliorated by lessening or eliminating gluten/wheat product intake altogether. I used to think it was trendy nonsense, too, until I educated myself a bit more. Although many people assume celiac and non-celiac gluten sensitivity are related, they may be completely different. A good summary in not overly scientific terms is here: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/gluten-sensitivity-may-be-a-misnomer-for-distinct-illnesses-to-various-wheat-proteins/?page=2 Cliffs notes: it may not be the gluten, but its breakdown products or something else in wheat/grains that causes problems.

While people may go overboard attributing everything to gluten intake, and businesses are capitalizing on them, fundamentally people are just trying to cut down on wheat products to determine if they feel better. Some do. Kinda like you suggest with your lactose analogy. And lactose-free milk is more expensive than regular milk BTW.

The line between health and disease is a thin one, and symptoms you may attribute to the spectrum of normalcy can be classifies as illness in many cases. But for your satisfaction, what would it take for non-celiac gluten intolerance to be defined as a disease? A predictive blood test? Severity of symptoms?

Granted, this all may be marketing and placebo (technically nocebo) effect at work. But I think there is enough evidence that non-celiac gluten intolerance is real that you should at least open your mind to the possibility. Or just STFU and let other people decide what they want to eat?

MIT Researcher: Glyphosate Herbicide will cause half of all children to have autism by 2025

Really bold prediction. Not her talk being referenced but one from earlier in the year where she presents a lot of the same information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a52vAx9HaCI

Monsanto claims that Roundup is harmless to humans. Bacteria, fungi, algae, parasites, and plants use a seven-step metabolic route known as the shikimate pathway for the biosynthesis of aromatic amino acids; glyphosate inhibits this pathway, causing the plant to die, which is why it’s so effective as an herbicide. Monsanto says humans don’t have this shikimate pathway, so it’s perfectly safe.

Dr. Seneff points out, however, that our gut bacteria do have this pathway, and that’s crucial because these bacteria supply our body with crucial amino acids. Roundup thus kills beneficial gut bacteria, allowing pathogens to grow; interferes with the synthesis of amino acids including methionine, which leads to shortages in critical neurotransmitters and folate; chelates (removes) important minerals like iron, cobalt and manganese; and much more.

Even worse, she notes, additional chemicals in Roundup are untested because they’re classified as “inert,” yet according to a 2014 study in BioMed Research International, these chemicals are capable of amplifying the toxic effects of Roundup hundreds of times over.

Glyphosate is present in unusually high quantities in the breast milk of American mothers, at anywhere from 760 to 1,600 times the allowable limits in European drinking water. Urine testing shows Americans have ten times the glyphosate accumulation as Europeans.

“In my view, the situation is almost beyond repair,” Dr. Seneff said after her presentation. “We need to do something drastic.”

MIT Researcher: Glyphosate Herbicide will cause half of all children to have autism by 2025

Really bold prediction. Not her talk being referenced but one from earlier in the year where she presents a lot of the same information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a52vAx9HaCI

Interesting, though the article loses a lot of credibility by mentioning the reported vaccine:autism link. That has been thoroughly debunked, and one of the main proponents was caught falsifying data to support the reported association.

Round-Up has been around since the '70's. Wonder how she determined half our children will be poisoned by it in 2025?

Round-Up has been around since the '70's. Wonder how she determined half our children will be poisoned by it in 2025?

I haven't watched the video, but it was mentioned earlier that the recent change is the increasing use of Roundup to kill the wheatstalk prior to harvesting. :dunno:

A Huffpo Science editorialist called Seneff out for bad science. Some of the editorialist's reasoning wasn't good, but I do think sensationalizing the potential connection (even if it's literally sensational in the end -- I think Seneff is genuinely concerned) takes away from what she and others have to present about glyphosate overall. Her being from MIT made me think Jerry would take the time out to listen ;)