Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

Dynasty Rookie Draft

Who are you willing to trade for in the upcoming draft? Due to a trade I made before the trade deadline, I already have Dalvin Cook, Mike Williams and JuJu Smith. I had to give up OBJ, but also got two extra draft picks in the rookie draft. The guy had a chance to win the league and went for it. He didn't win. I feel like I did though.

So, I have the 1.02 in the rookie draft, the 1.10, and three 2nd rounders. I can use picks or players to trade for other rookies that were drafted last Fall in the college rookie draft, or pick from guys coming out now. Who do you think is going to be the next stud in the NFL at any position? I have my eye on the TE from Alabama as the only position of need I have on my roster is there. I think he's the next stud at the position, although it may take a year or so to develop at the NFL level.

I'd just like to hear who you all are trying to obtain. Your opinions help!

Depends a lot on where they go in the NFL.

I keep hearing all this hype for O.J. Howard (TE, Alabama) but I wouldn't count on him being all that as a rookie, no matter where he lands.

Who are you willing to trade for in the upcoming draft? Due to a trade I made before the trade deadline, I already have Dalvin Cook, Mike Williams and JuJu Smith. I had to give up OBJ, but also got two extra draft picks in the rookie draft. The guy had a chance to win the league and went for it. He didn't win. I feel like I did though.

So, I have the 1.02 in the rookie draft, the 1.10, and three 2nd rounders. I can use picks or players to trade for other rookies that were drafted last Fall in the college rookie draft, or pick from guys coming out now. Who do you think is going to be the next stud in the NFL at any position? I have my eye on the TE from Alabama as the only position of need I have on my roster is there. I think he's the next stud at the position, although it may take a year or so to develop at the NFL level.

Great year for you to need a TE.

I think your boy Howard, Evan Engram, and David Njoku are all gonna be flat out studs.

I have a top 9 draft list right now, and all 3 TE's are on there. I think it's the first time in my life their has ever been that many I've been that high on.

So you're in a devy league right? With Cook/JuJu/Mike Williams already being gone I'd say keep either the 1.02 or the 1.10 and package the rest of the picks for some good rookies (drafted last year) like Hunter Henry or Austin Hooper to address your need at TE. Reason being that TEs take the longest to develop into viable fantasy assets in my experience (I drafted Ebron at 1.03 in a TE preemy league two years back). You can still take the 1.02 or 1.10 and pick up one of this year's top 3 TEs but you'll have a proven starter there to boot when you do so.

Mixon if he gets drafted in the first three rounds.

I won't touch Williams. No thanks to a player that has suffered a serious neck injury. In the modern day NFL, that is a big red flag...particularly with the draft capital needed to obtain him

Mixon if he gets drafted in the first three rounds.

I won't touch Williams. No thanks to a player that has suffered a serious neck injury. In the modern day NFL, that is a big red flag...particularly with the draft capital needed to obtain him

Mixon would be my #1 RB if he had a clean history. I've dropped him to #3 because of those very issues. I'm not sure I'd have the guts to draft him 1 or 2. But if you got a mid to later pick, and he's there. I think he's got the most upside to produce like a top pick.

Mixon would be my #1 RB if he had a clean history. I've dropped him to #3 because of those very issues. I'm not sure I'd have the guts to draft him 1 or 2. But if you got a mid to later pick, and he's there. I think he's got the most upside to produce like a top pick.

Both you guys talking about him is driving his price up already. Be very quiet. We are hunting rabbits. There is nothing to see here...

• Like 1

Are you allowed to draft players who will still be in college next year?

That RB class looks pretty good next year too. Especially if Chubb regains form.

That RB class looks pretty good next year too. Especially if Chubb regains form.

That's what I was thinking. If he can draft players who will still be in college, I'd give heavy consideration to Barkley and Guice.

• Like 1

Mixon is ineligible for a combine invite. Wonder if the college will give him a pro day workout?

Both you guys talking about him is driving his price up already. Be very quiet. We are hunting rabbits. There is nothing to see here...

He's the most polarizing player in this rookie draft imo.

As a player, I think he's one of the best backs in this class.

As a human, I wish he'd never play a snap.

I believe most people have this sentiment. The varying degrees of change lie solely with his off-field stuff. I can't imagine people see him and don't think: He's a damn fine prospect.

Mixon is ineligible for a combine invite. Wonder if the college will give him a pro day workout?

Can't imagine why they wouldn't, he played for them for years and the incident wasn't post college career. Unless he does something between now and then to warrant otherwise I think he will be a part of his college pro day. The administration would have a hard time explaining his team game participation but disallowing pro day participation IMO.

"He's the most polarizing player in this rookie draft "

Agree, although McCaffrey would be a close second.

For me he shouldn't land outside the top five rookie picks unless he lands in a terrible spot.

For the guys who have had the opportunity to study this years rookie class already, where would you slot Gurley in this years draft at this point?

I don't mean Gurley as talent necessarily, but Gurley in his current destination, with 2 yrs under his belt, going forward................ against the rooks with undesignated landing spots for now.

So like what pick is Gurley worth to you in other words?

For the guys who have had the opportunity to study this years rookie class already, where would you slot Gurley in this years draft at this point?

I don't mean Gurley as talent necessarily, but Gurley in his current destination, with 2 yrs under his belt, going forward................ against the rooks with undesignated landing spots for now.

So like what pick is Gurley worth to you in other words?

Before combine or draft, my initial response would be about the 3rd pick.

Depends a lot on where they go in the NFL.

I keep hearing all this hype for O.J. Howard (TE, Alabama) but I wouldn't count on him being all that as a rookie, no matter where he lands.

Agreed, it is so hard for TE to make impact in rookie year. They need to adjust to both NFL caliber D linemen and NFL receiving route trees.

Agreed, it is so hard for TE to make impact in rookie year. They need to adjust to both NFL caliber D linemen and NFL receiving route trees.

Dynasty is about patience and building a team where you can wait a year before you need them

Dynasty is about patience and building a team where you can wait a year before you need them

I disagree. I think the mistake alot of dynasty owners make is looking too far in the future. I never look more than 2-3 years down the road as the world changes too quick. I'd much rather have an immediate contributor with some age headroom, than a project who could be huge in 3 years.

My dynasty league has 20 man rosters so roster spots are at a premium and force my type of thinking. If i had a ton of extra bench spots i'd build in more of a longterm view. Just don't have enough bodies to sit and wait on too many of them to contribute

I disagree. I think the mistake alot of dynasty owners make is looking too far in the future. I never look more than 2-3 years down the road as the world changes too quick. I'd much rather have an immediate contributor with some age headroom, than a project who could be huge in 3 years.

My dynasty league has 20 man rosters so roster spots are at a premium and force my type of thinking. If i had a ton of extra bench spots i'd build in more of a longterm view. Just don't have enough bodies to sit and wait on too many of them to contribute

You are missing out on the joy of dynasty IMO. If its not a public league, consider trying to convince your league mates to add some taxi slots this year pre-rookie draft (maybe 4), which probably won't change the competitive complexion of the league in an unequal way, but will add the dynasty dimension which you are lacking.

I agree 20 slots is not enough to hold a significant number of "investment" players and expect to be a top currently competitive team year after year, especially once injuries begin to ding rosters and bye weeks hit. If you limit the taxi slots to rooks only or guys with only a few years exp you won't lose the primary benefits of 20 man rosters which include teams that can pretty quickly be rebuilt to be competitive and a somewhat fertile WW...................... but you will enhance the dynasty experience.

You are missing out on the joy of dynasty IMO. If its not a public league, consider trying to convince your league mates to add some taxi slots this year pre-rookie draft (maybe 4), which probably won't change the competitive complexion of the league in an unequal way, but will add the dynasty dimension which you are lacking.

I agree 20 slots is not enough to hold a significant number of "investment" players and expect to be a top currently competitive team year after year, especially once injuries begin to ding rosters and bye weeks hit. If you limit the taxi slots to rooks only or guys with only a few years exp you won't lose the primary benefits of 20 man rosters which include teams that can pretty quickly be rebuilt to be competitive and a somewhat fertile WW...................... but you will enhance the dynasty experience.

I'm in a 30 roster with 4 taxi. It's phenomenal

So much fun

I'm in a 30 roster with 4 taxi. It's phenomenal

So much fun

How long has the league been around?

My worry about that size league is sustainability. The league could become heavily imbalanced as invariably some owners are more/involved better, and then the" have nots" are unable to compete in the current year with a barren WW and drop out due to feeling so far behind. New owners could be difficult to find if the imbalance is stark. With the right group it could definitely be a lot of fun though.