Sign in to follow this  
shotsup

Have you ever been a pallbearer

I didn't with my own father but did twice since.

This morning will be the third time.

(I was just asked via text)

Lost track the number of times.

Depends on their funeral home. But these days, I assume bc lawsuits and whatnot, a lot of times it's really more ceremonial. The casket never leaves the Wheeled gurney underneath. Dude from the funeral home pushes or pulls. Everyone lines up on either side.

Thank God I've never been asked to do the shoulder thing. My traps aren't built for that. I can barely wear a backpack for chrissake.

2 or 3 times, focking blows. I'd rather get asked to be in a wedding. But not by much.

I have. Try to line up with someone your own size on the other side of the casket.

This. I was a pallbearer for a high school friend of mind that died.

I am 64. The guy across from me is maybe 55. Nickname was stumpy for a while.

A steel casket is pretty heavy, and that height difference made it worse.

Yes for all four of my grandparents within the past 10 years. Delivered two of the eulogies too. I still miss them.

Yes.

My mother

My uncle

My Grandmother (when my mother died at 48, it drove my grandmother insane, literally, then she lost another son a few years after he was 45)

My step bro

Damn 3 of my 4 grandparents died before I was 12. Don't even think I went to my remaining grandmothers funeral.

Damn 3 of my 4 grandparents died before I was 12. Don't even think I went to my remaining grandmothers funeral.

Same here.

3 of my grandparents are still alive.

I was one for the first time about 2 months ago. My best friend from high schools mom died.

Oh right. My best friends grandmother I was pall bearer for too

Yea, my buddy's dad. Knew him since I was 3. He also started, and was president, of the company I work for.

Mostly grandparents, I think. Cousins of my dad did his, and friends of my brother did his.

Same here.

Why would you go to shotsups grandmothers funeral? :wacko:

Why would you go to shotsups grandmothers funeral? :wacko:

She may not have had any teeth. But damn, that was the best piece of gum I ever had.

Don't know why, but they made us do a little procession thingy to bring my brother's ashes up to the altar.

Looked like I was bringing the priest a freaking humidor.

Several times. I have a pretty big extended family. My Aunt has told me that when it comes to pallbearers, I'm always the first choice. It's not something you like to do but it is an honor to carry someone to their final resting place.

My grandma.

Those white gloves are the slipperiest god damned things ever invented and we had to use em to lift and carry a luxe coffin with polished chrome handles. Great planning there funeral guy.

This morning will be the third time.

(I was just asked via text)

You were "just" asked...via text this a.m, before the funeral? As in hardly any notice?

Them: "What ya up to?"

You: not much, why?

Them: Joe died on Friday. Wanna be Pallbearer today at his funeral?

On a side note a buddy of mine said that at his funeral, he is requesting that the the pallbearers all wear white t-shirts with the word "Pallbearer" in black letters on both sides of the t-shirt to the funeral so that people will wonder "wtf is going on?! Why are people wearing those shirts?"

Yes. And done.

I need a nap

Like didn't they have a program made where the pall bearers were listed and what not? Wouldn't they need that ahead of time?

Like didn't they have a program made where the pall bearers were listed and what not? Wouldn't they need that ahead of time?

I don't know that I have seen a program for a funeral where they listed the pallbearers.

I don't know that I have seen a program for a funeral where they listed the pallbearers.

Me neither.

Been to some where they're looking for guys right there in the vestibule. It's no biggie.

Really? Its on every funeral program thingy I have ever been to. I've probably been to 10 funerals in my life.

Me neither.

Been to some where they're looking for guys right there in the vestibule. It's no biggie.

See...now that's where the t-shirts would come in. You could offer them a 'pall bearer' t-shirt if they take part.

My grandpa on my dads side. I have only seen my dad cry twice in my life. Both times haunt me to this day

Once, my maternal grandmother.

Didn't find out I was one until I was at the funeral. No other problems, as literally every guy on that side of the family is 6' - 6'4

Is this a Yankee thing or a Catholic thing? I've never done it and never seen it done other than on tv.

Southern protestants don't carry caskets.

• Like 1

Is this a Yankee thing or a Catholic thing? I've never done it and never seen it done other than on tv.

Southern protestants don't carry caskets.

How do you get the body from the church to the hearse and then from the hearse to the grave site?

How do you get the body from the church to the hearse and then from the hearse to the grave site?

Pay the funeral dude to wheel them around I guess.

Pay the funeral dude to wheel them around I guess.

Eh Im from the south too but we always have people carry the body. Kind of a respect thing