Sign in to follow this  
Vikings4ever

NFL: Saints put out bounties on opposing players

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7638603/new-orleans-saints-defense-had-bounty-program-nfl-says

Between 22 and 27 defensive players on the New Orleans Saints, as well as at least one assistant coach, maintained a "bounty" program funded primarily by players in violation of NFL rules during the 2009, 2010 and 2011 seasons, the NFL announced Friday.

The investigation by the league's security department determined that an improper "pay for performance" program included "bounty" payments to players for inflicting injuries on opposing players that would result in them being removed from a game.

The findings, corroborated by multiple independent sources, have been presented to commissioner Roger Goodell, who will determine the appropriate discipline.

was just about to post this :angry: . Looks like the NFL is going to come down hard on them. Wonder is this is why Gregg Williams left at season end for another Coord position.

Players paid each other for big hits and turnovers. Whoop de focking doo

Same article is talking about losing draft picks for the actions. Can they take draft picks from the team for something the players funded on their own? Unless this was something they regularly posted everywhere and made every1 fully aware, I dont see how Saints are to blame.

There is a long long history of this in the league. If the Saints get anything more than a slap on the wrist, it's absurd.

I think the appropriate punishment is something like what the Pats got for taping. I believe it was a first round pick and a million dollars or so?

Same article is talking about losing draft picks for the actions. Can they take draft picks from the team for something the players funded on their own? Unless this was something they regularly posted everywhere and made every1 fully aware, I dont see how Saints are to blame.

Payton and the GM knew about it, were told to stop the practice, and did not.

The players funded this, not the coaches or team. No big deal. Nothing wrong with team pride and extra motivation.

Next thing the NFL will ban is ESPN and other networks from showing re-plays of big hits on their post game shows so players won't be motivated to get the "highlight hit" aired on Sports Center.

I have no problem with this. Of course it will be blown out of proportion. It's a rough league, people seem to lose sight of that every time a new set of poosay rules is levied.

We'll be watching flag football in another 10-15 years.

The players funded this, not the coaches or team. No big deal. Nothing wrong with team pride and extra motivation.

Next thing the NFL will ban is ESPN and other networks from showing re-plays of big hits on their post game shows so players won't be motivated to get the "highlight hit" aired on Sports Center.

Between 22 and 27 defensive players on the New Orleans Saints, as well as defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, maintained a "bounty" program funded primarily by players in violation of NFL rules during the 2009, 2010 and 2011 seasons, the NFL announced Friday.

I love how some of you think you know more than what a multi month investigation turned up. I'm sure more will come out, just like it did with Spygate and Tripgate when everyone on here tried to blow it off as some rogue coach or something. It's the Saints ass on this.

Adam Schefter via Twitter:

Washington Post reports Redskins had a bounty system for big hits on opponents under their former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

I don't see these bounties doin anything except motivating the players to go their hardest. If it was causing an abundance of cheapshots/illegal hits, it would be more evident. If there are illegal hits taking place on field then refs should do their job.

I don't care or think it's a big deal.

From what I have heard Benson and Payton knew what was going on and it wasn't stopped.

The NFL has to punish them and will have to do it severely. With the way they spout off about player safety etc they have no choice. The NFL is staring down litigation for the way the concussions have been handled etc.

This is only wrong because they were caught. They have no one to blame but them selves and they get what they deserve. Though it will continue to happen.

I think the issue is more going to be about violating salary cap rules than anything else, and the team covered it up.

For the people that claim they are for it. I have no idea what you are for? Breaking rules? So are you ok with people shooting people? Robbing stores? Breaking the laws? Because if it gives them that extra push to do something in life, they should just do it, right?

Plain and simple, the Saints broke rules and should suffer for it. Fines and lose of draft picks will hurt them.

Williams needs to be banned from the league to make a statement. You make the statement that you are gone for good, guess what. You don't have as many people trying to do it. I like Sean Payton but I don't know the GM. But if they were told to stop it and did not, once again, they should be fined or even suspended somehow for a short period of time. Once again, proving a point, if you have knowledge of and don't do anything about it, you will get punished.

I like how people are all about breaking the rules, until it affects them. Funny how that is.

For the people that claim they are for it. I have no idea what you are for? Breaking rules? So are you ok with people shooting people? Robbing stores? Breaking the laws? Because if it gives them that extra push to do something in life, they should just do it, right?

Plain and simple, the Saints broke rules and should suffer for it. Fines and lose of draft picks will hurt them.

Williams needs to be banned from the league to make a statement. You make the statement that you are gone for good, guess what. You don't have as many people trying to do it. I like Sean Payton but I don't know the GM. But if they were told to stop it and did not, once again, they should be fined or even suspended somehow for a short period of time. Once again, proving a point, if you have knowledge of and don't do anything about it, you will get punished.

I like how people are all about breaking the rules, until it affects them. Funny how that is.

I'm ok with this league still having some form of testicles. It was against the rules and the parties involved will be punished. No problems there.

I just don't see it as the travesty ESPN is making it out to be.

Williams needs to be banned from the league to make a statement.

I think that's going way too far. They should do what they did with Belichick--fine him personally. A couple hundred grand that the team is not allowed to pay on his behalf. That'll get his attention.

And what if there was no money involved?

Let's say they got a little trophy if they knocked player out ? Would this still cause an uproar? Probably not. The money is issue because it's a way to circumvent the salary cap system and that - IMO - is why this is an issue.

I'm ok with this league still having some form of testicles. It was against the rules and the parties involved will be punished. No problems there.

I just don't see it as the travesty ESPN is making it out to be.

I think it is when you are TRYING to hurt or completely end a players career. I mean, if Greg saw Peyton Manning or Farve on the street, he would have probably stabbed them or done something to them, just to win. Why not just beat them in the game, without being a cheap person.

I think that's going way too far. They should do what they did with Belichick--fine him personally. A couple hundred grand that the team is not allowed to pay on his behalf. That'll get his attention.

Where Belichick was caught using camera's to cheat, he wasn't out trying to HURT and completely take out players in a game. I think it is worse in my opinion. If I was a player in a sport, I would want to win no doubt, but to want to hurt another player would never cross my mind. Accidents happen, but to take out a player and possible end his career or make him a cripple the rest of his life is horrible. How would Mr Williams feel if he got hit a few times from some players, with what he told his players to do? I will even give him full pads.

And what if there was no money involved?

Let's say they got a little trophy if they knocked player out ? Would this still cause an uproar? Probably not. The money is issue because it's a way to circumvent the salary cap system and that - IMO - is why this is an issue.

This was not done to circumvent the salary cap. If they owner was handing out huge wads of cash for these hits then yes. This is the equivalent of giving out trophys with the amount of cash these players make.

I haven't heard a single current or former player have anything bad about this.

Who cares.

The Saints couldn't tackle anyway. The only team in the NFL that tackled this year was San Fran.

Gregg Williams statement tells you he knew this was gonna land him in deep sh!t. http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/rams-defensive-coordinator-gregg-williams-apologizes-for-role-in-bounties-while-with-saints/2012/03/02/gIQAhENjnR_story.html

"It was a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it,” Williams said. “Instead of getting caught up in it, I should have stopped it. I take full responsibility for my role. I am truly sorry. I have learned a hard lesson and I guarantee that I will never participate in or allow this kind of activity to happen again."

but.....

This is honestly what every team tries to do, sans the rewards linked in 18,000 documents. It's gonna go bad for Williams and the Saints, but I don't think there is a clean front office, and I bet they are all doing some sweating......especially those who have a former player NOW playing for the Saints.

Where Belichick was caught using camera's to cheat, he wasn't out trying to HURT and completely take out players in a game. I think it is worse in my opinion. If I was a player in a sport, I would want to win no doubt, but to want to hurt another player would never cross my mind. Accidents happen, but to take out a player and possible end his career or make him a cripple the rest of his life is horrible. How would Mr Williams feel if he got hit a few times from some players, with what he told his players to do? I will even give him full pads.

I did not get the impression that they were trying to end careers. If that was truly the case then I would agree that much more severe punishment would be appropriate.

I did not get the impression that they were trying to end careers. If that was truly the case then I would agree that much more severe punishment would be appropriate.

Did you see the Viking or Cardinal games?? They were trying to kill Farve and Warner. It was quite evident,discussed here, and scrutinized heavily by the sports media at the time. Hell, that might even have fired off the investigation. dunno

Did you see the Viking or Cardinal games?? They were trying to kill Farve and Warner. It was quite evident,discussed here, and scrutinized heavily by the sports media at the time. Hell, that might even have fired off the investigation. dunno

They were probably trying to kill Favre and Warner because it was the playoffs. Their bonus for making it to the next round was probably more than the bounty.

There are several issues that will get the Saints in trouble:

1. Some of the bounties were paid out for injuring the other team's players

2. Williams knew better and was a participant

3. Players, coaches and execs lied and covered it up when the league investigated back in 2010.

This is a bigger deal than many think.

I bet the league tries to take away the Saints first round pick this year as punishment. :P

Something else brought up on some other boards:

There is no way in hell these guys reported their bounties on their tax forms. You have to know the IRS is going to do some digging.

Something else brought up on some other boards:

There is no way in hell these guys reported their bounties on their tax forms. You have to know the IRS is going to do some digging.

Supposedly, the IRS is already digging.

They should have known not to injure Brett favre.

The salary cap thing is ridiculous. According to the reports it was players paying players upwards of 2500 per play. Salary cap is measured in millions and if you take from one player and give to another its a zero sum game salary cap wise

This article says that the punishments handed down will be worse than for "spygate". Williams, Loomis, Peyton and any players that can be identified may be facing suspensions. They referenced the year-long suspensions handed down to Karras and Hornung for gambling.

Could be trouble...

It does seem to get worse with all that we hear. In the end I wouldn't be surprised if Gregg Williams is suspended from coaching or kicked out for good.

Still waiting for tape of consistent illegal hits.

Now defensive players cannot hit a player as hard as they can legally? The NFL is turning into a sissy sport and is a shell of what it once was. I will not be watching 5 years from now.

Why can a RB be paid extra for gaining 1000 yards?

Bounties make watching football more gooder. Bounties in pro wrestling were great too. I want to see injuries, and plenty of them. Earn your righteous bucks.

Bottom line, anybody that is against bounties is queer.

Still waiting for tape of consistent illegal hits.

Go watch ESPN, Mike and Mike in the morning. Have a good day.

This article says that the punishments handed down will be worse than for "spygate". Williams, Loomis, Peyton and any players that can be identified may be facing suspensions. They referenced the year-long suspensions handed down to Karras and Hornung for gambling.

Could be trouble...

It should be. This is far worse than what the Pats did.

What is really stupid is that everybody references the Monday Night game between the Eagles and Oilers as one of the greatest games ever, when the Eagles kept knocking out Houston players with vicious hits. Yet, if you go by today's sissy, limp wristed standards, the entire Eagles team would have been suspended for a couple of years for playing hard and clean. Just because you put a bounty on somebody doesn't make it illegal. A perfect example of that is the days of Buddy Ryan and the bounty on Cowboy's players. Did anybody get suspended for a year? Nope. So, past precedent says the Saints did nothing wrong.

The NFL owes the New Orleans Saints a public apology.