Sign in to follow this  
Sho Nuff

Another school shooting. Houston

I'm sorry, are gun locks too fuking hard of a solution here?

Seriously, 2 fuking gun locks and all this goes away.

Their argument is that they will ask the Intruder to wait for them to unlock their gun from the safe before they murder them and their family.

Like it literally hurts my head how stupid that is.

Yep! This is what happens when you raise puzzies.

Johnny gets a trophy for everything. He is the greatest person ever. We don't hit little Johnny that will destroy his confidence. Johnny doesn't fill out his drivers license application he is too busy so mommy does it for him. Johnny doesn't work he needs to focus on school besides we give him a small allowance to $1,500 a month. Johnny doesn't have problems in school because mommy and daddy lecture the teachers about how they should treat the most precious gift the world has ever seen.

Kid faces his first adversity when a chick rejected him and he losses his sh!t. But yeah it is the guns, the lack or security, global warming, big oil, big pharma...............

The above seems oddly specific.🤔😐

No it won't...

Actually joked about that when this first went down. I didn't read the link, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

No hoodies? No racism! No trench coats? No shootings! I like it!

No white plastic sunglasses on guys? No douchebags. Hey it works!

Is it that laughable? If they are going with clear backpacks...why would they not ban something else that can easily conceal weapons?

Will or prevent things? No. Will it make it maybe more difficult to conceal? Possibly.

Hoodies get banned as it can conceal the face of people from cameras.

We want a pitcher, not a belly itcher

Is he high, is he low

I dont know but he cant throw!

This chant was banned in my sons Little League.

My son is a pitcher - age 8 - and I want the chant allowed

I explained to him that its tough to stand there on that mound or even at the plate batting - half the people there hope you fail - and even your own team will sometimes blame you - but thats a big part of what youre learning here - confidence - how to stand up tall and keep your head on straight when not everyone is rooting for you.

There are MANY reasons why we have all these school shootings - disallowing chants like this is one of them.

I do not think we can do anything to stop these mass shootings. I do not attribute them to an increase in mental health issues or medicine, nor do i attribute them to an increase in gun ownership. Although an increase in the number of semi-auto rifles has increased the lethality of mass shootings.

I think it is a copy cat mentality. I think now that these are in the news more it is giving the idea to other people that are mentally unstable to also take part in a mass shooting. Now that this copy-cat trend is in effect I am not sure there is anyway to stop it.

This guy gets it.

Yeah, that summarizes a lot of my thoughts on the matter.

Mass shootings aren’t the reason for gun control. Other gun deaths are.

nobody push it any further, or we have to talk about suicide again

nobody push it any further, or we have to talk about suicide again

Notice I haven't brought it up at all.

But then you fvckos assume I am worried about school shootings. :doh:

Notice I haven't brought it up at all.

But then you fvckos assume I am worried about school shootings. :doh:

Yeah, the thread title should have let the fukos know you're not interested in school shootings.

Yeah, the thread title should have let the fukos know you're not interested in school shootings.

Unfortunately, these events are the only deaths that stimulate gun control discussion.

But thank god you're around to keep threads on-topic. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, these events are the only deaths that stimulate gun control discussion.

But thank god you're around to keep threads on-topic. :thumbsup:

Well, these events are full of innocents being the victims of gun violence. Most victims of gun violence are criminals themselves. That's why no one cares. You have your stats about gun violence, but that doesn't tell the story. With all the gun violence in our country it should be front page news every day. It's not. Wonder why?

Well, these events are full of innocents being the victims of gun violence. Most victims of gun violence are criminals themselves. That's why no one cares. You have your stats about gun violence, but that doesn't tell the story. With all the gun violence in our country it should be front page news every day. It's not. Wonder why?

I dont think most victims of gun violence are criminals, and definitely most people killed by guns aren't.

While I understand why people get so upset about kids getting mowed down, school shootings are so rare they aren't terribly significant in the big picture.

I dont think most victims of gun violence are criminals, and definitely most people killed by guns aren't.

While I understand why people get so upset about kids getting mowed down, school shootings are so rare they aren't terribly significant in the big picture.

On one hand you state we have a great deal of gun violence. Fine, I'll accept that. Then you say most victims of gun violence are innocent. Then tell me why it's not front page news every day? You think a person murdered in a robbery isn't news worthy?

On one hand you state we have a great deal of gun violence. Fine, I'll accept that. Then you say most victims of gun violence are innocent. Then tell me why it's not front page news every day? You think a person murdered in a robbery isn't news worthy?

In 2013, there were 73,505 nonfatal firearm injuries (23.2 injuries per 100,000 U.S. citizens),[2][3] and 33,636 deaths due to "injury by firearms" (10.6 deaths per 100,000 U.S. citizens).[4] These deaths consisted of 11,208 homicides,[5] 21,175 suicides,[4] 505 deaths due to accidental or negligent discharge of a firearm, and 281 deaths due to firearms use with "undetermined intent".

Some innocent person does get killed by a gun damn near every day on average id say. And it is front page news on a local level. Lets take out the suicides. 11,700 and change between homicide, and accidents.

Divide by 365. Thats thirty two a day, on average.

Now, are most of those gang banger lowlifes and such? Sure. Probably.

But a few of those 32 a day arent. A few of them were bystanders at a drive by. Or school shooting victims. Or people who got robbed.

In 2013, there were 73,505 nonfatal firearm injuries (23.2 injuries per 100,000 U.S. citizens),[2][3] and 33,636 deaths due to "injury by firearms" (10.6 deaths per 100,000 U.S. citizens).[4] These deaths consisted of 11,208 homicides,[5] 21,175 suicides,[4] 505 deaths due to accidental or negligent discharge of a firearm, and 281 deaths due to firearms use with "undetermined intent".

Some innocent person does get killed by a gun damn near every day on average id say. And it is front page news on a local level. Lets take out the suicides. 11,700 and change between homicide, and accidents.

But a few of those 32 a day arent. A few of them were bystanders at a drive by. Or school shooting victims. Or people who got robbed.

It's estimated 8-30% of the adult population has a record. People that get shot are even more likely to have committed crimes. So technically, I guess HT is correct. But getting convicted of a drug crime (the majority of felonies) in one's past doesn't make you a lifelong criminal in my book. Nor does it make your life worthless. Plus, there are plenty of victims without a checkered past, far more than the handful of kids shot at school.

It's obvious from your stats where we can really limit gun deaths with appropriate regulation. And last I checked, depression isn't a crime.

I guess it all comes down to perspective. Some people look at those numbers and claim we have a gun problem in this country so bad we need to ban guns. I look at those numbers and say 32 people? In a nation of 350 million people, from all over the world and all walks of life, with roughly 300 million guns and only 32 people a day are getting killed? Those numbers are phenomenal. :dunno:

You know what I like about this thread? It didn't evolve into just a battle of statistics that goes nowhere.

You know what I like about this thread? It didn't evolve into just a battle of statistics that goes nowhere.

73% of this bored agrees with you.

Allegedly.

I guess it all comes down to perspective. Some people look at those numbers and claim we have a gun problem in this country so bad we need to ban guns. I look at those numbers and say 32 people? In a nation of 350 million people, from all over the world and all walks of life, with roughly 300 million guns and only 32 people a day are getting killed? Those numbers are phenomenal. :dunno:

I hear ya. In fact, it's only 0.0222 people being killed per minute......A country of 320 million people and only 0.0222 a minute get killed.....The numbers are phenomenal.

I hear ya. In fact, it's only 0.0222 people being killed per minute......A country of 320 million people and only 0.0222 a minute get killed.....The numbers are phenomenal.

Over 100 times as many people die everyday because of automobiles. But that's fine and dandy cuz convenience. So spare me the "it's about saving lives" hyperbole.

If you want to solve the 32 person per day "gun problem", try focusing on the fact that 80% of those 32 per day are young black men shooting other young black men.

You know, the real problem with gun violence.

• Like 1

Uh....

Until you look at the rest of the civilized world. Or you consider the odds of dying by gun shot are roughly equal to dying in an auto accident.

Stop using car accident deaths as a debate tool. Everyone drives, there are a lot of cars in the road, of course the number will be high. Simply look at graphs on the internet comparing USA gun violence to the rest of the civilized world. Its one huge red line up for USA then a bunch of far smaller lines showing the other countries. Its skewed tremendously. Its just the cost of freedom, rights and a melting pot society, cant do much about it.

Heres one example just for fun. No AhHa or GOTCHA, just showing a chart for fun. https://goo.gl/images/XtiouG

Stop using car accident deaths as a debate tool. Everyone drives, there are a lot of cars in the road, of course the number will be high. Simply look at graphs on the internet comparing USA gun violence to the rest of the civilized world. Its one huge red line up for USA then a bunch of far smaller lines showing the other countries. Its skewed tremendously. Its just the cost of freedom, rights and a melting pot society, cant do much about it.

Heres one example just for fun. No AhHa or GOTCHA, just showing a chart for fun. https://goo.gl/images/XtiouG

While we're at it, let's stop comparing the US to the rest of the world. If you want to compare the US to other countries, stick to North America where the comparison makes a modicum of sense. Comparing us to Japan is akin to comparing apples to orangutans.

Car accidents are a great comparator, as driving is an activity with similar risk, but more utility, yet we regulate it far more.

Car accidents are a great comparator, as driving is an activity with similar risk, but more utility, yet we regulate it far more.

Nice

Until you look at the rest of the civilized world. Or you consider the odds of dying by gun shot are roughly equal to dying in an auto accident.

If by "roughly equal" you mean 100 times worse I guess we agree.

32 people per day killed by being shot vs 3200+ people per day being killed by vehicles. Even with all the extra regulations. Are we still trying to be reasonable?

If by "roughly equal" you mean 100 times worse I guess we agree.

32 people per day killed by being shot vs 3200+ people per day being killed by vehicles. Even with all the extra regulations. Are we still trying to be reasonable?

Your stats are off. I'm considering all gun-related deaths versus driving/riding in a car.

Your stats are off.

Maybe.

I went with TBBOM'S 32 gun victims per day and googled "how many automobile fatalities in the US each year".

The results came back "Nearly 1.3 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day..."

The stats might be off but they aren't mine.

Your stats are off. I'm considering all gun-related deaths versus driving/riding in a car.

Oh, ok. Then we need to also consider the overall number of times a gun, or the threat of a gun, has been used in a defensive manner. Fair?

Oh, ok. Then we need to also consider the overall number of times a gun, or the threat of a gun, has been used in a defensive manner. Fair?

If you haven't figured it out yet, penny always turns "violence" into "gun violence" and in this case, adds suicides to a homicide discussion. Never mind that the US is somewhere in the middle on suicide rate, albeit a bit old data:

http://www.businessinsider.com/world-suicide-rate-map-2014-4

All kinds of super awesome gunless countries ahead of us there. :dunno:

• Like 1

If you haven't figured it out yet, penny always turns "violence" into "gun violence" and in this case, adds suicides to a homicide discussion. Never mind that the US is somewhere in the middle on suicide rate, albeit a bit old data:

Yeah, pen and I have been debating this topic for years. I'm pretty sure I got him on the ropes at this point. :thumbsup:

I get scolded when I use the S word, but yes, it needs to be a part of the discussion when we’re talking about the dangers of guns.

As for your suicide map, care to venture a guess how it would look if all countries had a gun for every citizen?

I get scolded when I use the S word, but yes, it needs to be a part of the discussion when we’re talking about the dangers of guns.

As for your suicide map, care to venture a guess how it would look if all countries had a gun for every citizen?

I look at that map and think gee, even with all these evil gunz we're in the middle of the pack, you look at it and think this. Do you think that there are a significant amount of people who are in a dark enough place to kill themselves who think "you know, I was going to kill myself today, but I don't have a gun so I'll go for a walk instead?" :dunno: