Sign in to follow this  
Maulers1973

Sleeper RB......

If they said and believe all that why did they sign a hometown hero on his last leg and then go out and draft a pretty good satellite back in the draft?

Drake lead the league in YAC. He lead the league in rushing the last 5 games he started. He can pass block. He can catch out of the backfield. His coach predicted that hes a 2k total yard back. Tomlinson predicted that drake breaks out this year.

As the 17-19 RB taken off the board, why wouldnt you at least consider drake as your RB2 in the 5th round.

If they said and believe all that why did they sign a hometown hero on his last leg and then go out and draft a pretty good satellite back in the draft?

The bengals, cardinals and falcons also drafted rbs in the 4th round, they’re probably not starting over Mixon, DJ and freeman.

Depth is needed at that position. In today’s game having one RB handle every carry is obsolete. Injuries happen, special team positions need to be filled, and some teams draft on best available as opposed to filling needs.

Drake is not a 25 plus carry back. I see him used more like the saints used Kamara. 10-14 carries, 4-5 catches. rB2 value that can be obtained in the 4/5 rounds of drafts with potential upside. Gore will ease the load from drake and also help mentor him at the same time.

I gotta agree.

4th round picks are generally not expected to start. Not right away anyhow.

I think its a bit of an insurance policy. nothing more.

So you are comparing a RB who is in an anemic offense with a questionable qb and who doesnt have a totally defined role to another RB who has a once in generational QB who loves to throw to RBs and with a innovative coach who got plugged right into a satellite back plus role, a role which had been there for years prior, and whos team traded up for him in the draft to each other?

The bengals, cardinals and falcons also drafted rbs in the 4th round, theyre probably not starting over Mixon, DJ and freeman.

Depth is needed at that position. In todays game having one RB handle every carry is obsolete. Injuries happen, special team positions need to be filled, and some teams draft on best available as opposed to filling needs.

Drake is not a 25 plus carry back. I see him used more like the saints used Kamara. 10-14 carries, 4-5 catches. rB2 value that can be obtained in the 4/5 rounds of drafts with potential upside. Gore will ease the load from drake and also help mentor him at the same time.

• Like 1

Thanks for your opinion. I'll keep it under consideration when I draft

Carson is going to beast this year. Mark it down!!

That would be confusing if they draft an RB in the first round then just dump him on the bench.

That would be confusing if they draft an RB in the first round then just dump him on the bench.

The Seahawks are clueless drafting offense

• Like 2

Sleeper? Matt Breida...you're welcome.

This is my problem with Drake. Not only is there no history of him performing at the level he did in the last 5 games in the NFL, he didn't do it in college either.

Now you mentioned a couple of qualities that he's definitely always had - Speed and cutting ability. However at Alabama he struggled to run through the line and thus was rarely used in their offense despite these talents. I didn't watch him enough to know if that was a problem he had with reading blocks or trying to hard to make a big play every run or if they just had better back for running their scheme in front of him. But clearly he's got elite skills in these areas, that's never been questioned. I think he also had some injury issues in college that may have held him back.

But he's NEVER carried the load, both in college and in the NFL, outside of those 5 games. That stint included 2 games vs Buffalo, one vs NE, one vs KC and 1 vs Denver. Only Denver's defense was ranked inside the top 20 at stopping the run (they were 5). NE was 20, KC was 25 and Buffalo was 29.

In addition, though I'm not a big fan of cherry picking stats, if you take away his long runs in those 5 games, you have some very very pedestrian numbers. In those games he had runs of 42, 32, 31, 31, and 18 yards. His stats over those 5 games were 91 carries for 444 yards / 4.9 YPC. This represents about 2/3 of his season production in both categories. If you extract those 5 plays he's 86 for 290 or 3.4 YPC. Now, obviously if you do this for any RB, there's likely a similar drop off, but I just wonder how sustainable the big gains are, given we had such a small sample size (91 carries) of Drake being the featured ball carrier. The level of competition also has to be taken into account as those 5 games align with him playing mostly defenses in the bottom third of the league vs the run.

I think, given the type of RB the dolphins drafted, and the signing of Gore, that they do not intend for Drake to see the 20 touches per game he saw down the stretch. I think they like the home run ability and want to have him on the field frequently, but I see a guy more suited for an 8-12 touch per game role. I'd feel more comfortable with Mixon, who I feel is going to be a 15+ touch per game guy, or even Collins depending on how much of a role Dixon can carve out in Baltimore due to the volume I can more comfortably forecast those guys getting.

I'm certainly open to being wrong on Drake based on his talent, but I feel he's got to maintain that big play capability over a full season to make up for, what I feel, is a more reduced role than what he had in the last 5 games.

I'm seeing all the experts saying this and I just don't buy it. Go back and watch those big plays. Specifically watch Drake TORCH the New England Patriots. His elusiveness and speed are incredible, and its what he was famous for in Alabama...people who think he cannot sustain these types of big plays are not realizing that he already has a history of doing so. Another major consideration that is overlooked is his supporting cast last year. He did all that despite having JAY CUTLER and a struggling O-Line. This year he has Tannehill back and an improved O-Line.

Remember Warrick Dunn? Definitely a very similar comparison. Dunn relied on his big plays. I remember when he broke the record for most plays above X # of yards in a row. If you took away Warrick Dunn's big plays then he would have been a RB3 or worse. But Dunn was one of the best RB2's you could have for a number of years in Atlanta.

I see Drake geting around 15 carries per game and a few catches each week and Gore getting relief/goalline work - maybe an average of 10. This is not ideal, but if you remember his big play ability then he is a very serviceable RB2. Take a look at Gase's offenses in Denver when C.J. Anderson broke out onto the scene. Expect similar usage.

I don't think Gore is worth having unless you're really thin at RB. Ballage is a prayer at this point...as I think he will only be catching a few passes here and there unless there is an injury.

How come nobody has mentioned C.J. Anderson? I love him this year. I think he is an example of a veteran taking control of a backfield over a young RB. He can be had at the very end of the draft right now...and I think he could easily surpass what Johnathan Stewart has been doing in Carolina.

• Like 1

How come nobody has mentioned C.J. Anderson? I love him this year. I think he is an example of a veteran taking control of a backfield over a young RB. He can be had at the very end of the draft right now...and I think he could easily surpass what Johnathan Stewart has been doing in Carolina.

All the hype about CMC getting 25+ touches a game have made people completely forget about CJA. Stewart plodded his way to 680 yards and 6 rushing TDs. Reports out of Giants training camp have not been to kind to Stewart with some going as far to say that he looks done. I agree with you that even with the presence of McCaffery and Newton stealing goal line TDs that Anderson should easily surpass what Stewart did last season.

Kenneth Dixon is interesting to me. 3rd year. He's been derailed by injuries so far, but if he can stay healthy he should be the most talented running back on the roster. And on these teams with coaches that need to win like Harbaugh, I expect them to not be sentimental and play their best players.

This. Collins is meh.

Ekeler for ppr as your new woodhead.

Kerryon Johnson

Cuffs: Connor/Edmonds/Jackson

Wilkins.

Keep a pulse on Scott during Ingrams suspension for usage hints and talent.

He's lazy and does just enough to stay on a team.