Sign in to follow this  
Patriotsfatboy1

Describe something from the "other side" that you agree with

This is a sperm-off from another thread where there was all sorts of arguing (shocking, I know).

Instead of highlighting things that you vehemently and fundamentally disagree with, identify things that the other side thinks that you agree with.

I am sort of in the middle, so I agree with some things on both sides of the lunacy that we have, including:

- Legal immigration only. We can't have an open door policy.

- Abortion - let women decide, but make the decision before 20 weeks unless mom is in danger. We don't need more unwanted kids out there.

- Guns - we don't need to have AR's, bump stocks, cop-killer ammo, but we don't need to restrict legal ownership of 99% of weapons.

- Welfare - we have too many people on welfare. It still pays more to not work in many situations than it does to get a job. We could probably cut 20% of the people on welfare without affecting those who are really in need.

- Healthcare - everyone should have access to affordable healthcare. We need to work on the cost side and I don't think that healthcare should cover boob-jobs and sex changes, but it should cover birth control (see abortion).

Let's see what the political thread lovers offer up here.

• Like 1

I feel like my ideals fall somewhere close to the middle, for the most part...although I would say I lean slightly right. By that I mean right in the pre-lunacy days and not alt-right.

We don't need to overturn Roe v Wade and I think healthcare needs to be revamped but not to the point of single payer. Those would be the two biggest points I think.

The super rich need to pay some taxes for once. But they just say that, they don't really mean it.

Roe v Wade.

except when some dumb knt starts spouting off that it's an acceptable form of birf control.

• Like 1

The super rich need to pay some taxes for once. But they just say that, they don't really mean it.

I would agree with this as well. Along with corporate loopholes and limits on executive pay.

Some questions:

What is super rich and how much should they pay?

What about the people who are paying no taxes?

I think that we have both a tax equity issue and a spending problem FWIW.

• Like 1

I am fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

So I don't care who you marry, what bathroom you feel the need to use, or what kind of qualifier you need to "define" yourself. I don't think Roe v Wade needs to be overturned, and I think it is a woman's right to choose. Healthcare should be affordable for citizens; I think that we just have TOO many people here who drain our country financially, and don't really help out.

I agree about the welfare and a few other social programs that we can do without or severely cut back.

There are others, but these are the ones that come to mind.

So all of that said, when I vote, it's usually with my wallet in mind. Social issues can sometimes take care of themselves. But living in a blue state where the taxes are just ridiculous, I am voting against just about everything that tells me it increases my taxes.

This is a sperm-off from another thread where there was all sorts of arguing (shocking, I know).

Instead of highlighting things that you vehemently and fundamentally disagree with, identify things that the other side thinks that you agree with.

I am sort of in the middle, so I agree with some things on both sides of the lunacy that we have, including:

- Abortion - let women decide, but make the decision before 20 weeks unless mom is in danger. We don't need more unwanted kids out there.

- Guns - we don't need to have AR's, bump stocks, cop-killer ammo, but we don't need to restrict legal ownership of 99% of weapons.

- Welfare - we have too many people on welfare. It still pays more to not work in many situations than it does to get a job. We could probably cut 20% of the people on welfare without affecting those who are really in need.

- Healthcare - everyone should have access to affordable healthcare. We need to work on the cost side and I don't think that healthcare should cover boob-jobs and sex changes, but it should cover birth control (see abortion).

I tend to agree with everything you list there even abortion as I think most of the kids probably wouldn't be cared for properly anyway.

* Transgender recognition: If you were born with a Johnson, as long as you still have it - you piss and compete with the boys.

* Public racial sensitivity: 16 years Clinton and Obama ruled the land, not one peep about schools, streets, statues being offensive. Now all of the sudden schools are having to change names, city statues are being taken down, etc.. Just ridiculous.

* Legal immigration only: Open borders are dangerous, agreed. But we have to revamp the process - it can't be taking freaking 20 years to get vetted and stamped. That deters participation.

* Welfare: I'm all for drug testing - you fail, you don't get paid.

*Voter ID: No picture ID, no voting slip for you.. If we have to make it free for all, fine - but no reason you shouldn't have to validate who you are.

Some questions:

What is super rich and how much should they pay?

What about the people who are paying no taxes?

I think that we have both a tax equity issue and a spending problem FWIW.

Capital gains should stop after a few million. Is that so crazy?

Hardcore troubadour, on 26 Oct 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:
Capital gains should stop after a few million. Is that so crazy?

I don't think so, but I am not sure what we are stopping after a few million. Are we talking about having them pay a higher rate after a few million?

I was just trying to understand exactly what you were saying. I was genuinely trying to find out where the areas of common ground are to see if my theory is correct.

What do you guys think about this idea for augmenting public assistance.

For those on govt. assistance, go to the grocery store and you can grab all you want of the good expiring that day.

I tend to agree with everything you list there even abortion as I think most of the kids probably wouldn't be cared for properly anyway.

If that is true, then wouldn't we be better off in working on those things instead of all of the other bullshit that people don't agree with?

My next theory is that we actually agree on a ton of things, but the nature of our political infrastructure has gotten to the point that it really doesn't matter. Things are set up so that we no longer know HOW to work on things that we agree on because we have focused solely on putting our perceived "other side" down.

I don't think so, but I am not sure what we are stopping after a few million. Are we talking about having them pay a higher rate after a few million?

I was just trying to understand exactly what you were saying. I was genuinely trying to find out where the areas of common ground are to see if my theory is correct.

They can pay normal taxes after they re-coup their investment plus a few million in profit. I may be oversimplifying it, but it's the gist of it.

I like Fenway Park a lot and Yaz. Also loved Roger Staubach and Bill Bates.

They can pay normal taxes after they re-coup their investment plus a few million in profit. I may be oversimplifying it, but it's the gist of it.

Got it. Simplification of the tax code in general would be good. Get rid of some loopholes and maybe we can cut out some of the IRS people who don't even audit effectively anyway.

- Legal immigration only. We can't have an open door policy. Agreed. Do it legally. Often things in life comes down to "us" or "them" ....and with the limited resources, I go with "us"

- Abortion - let women decide, but make the decision before 20 weeks unless mom is in danger. We don't need more unwanted kids out there. Agreed. Pros and cons to both. I get it. But I agree with you. An unwanted child...not fair to the child, not fair to society when he casts his actions (those of an "unwanted" person) on the rest of us.

- Guns - we don't need to have AR's, bump stocks, cop-killer ammo, but we don't need to restrict legal ownership of 99% of weapons. We need/should have AR's.(I'm perfectly okay with it, and for it). We need better mental health help. Less help to those who are lazy and don't want to work. Take some of that money...spend on mental health and deep background checks, even interviews by psychologists or psychiatrists to those folks who are in the "gray" area/flagged after the round of mental health questions when purchasing a gun. We don't need bump stocks. They are dumb. No accuracy, waste of ammo, and are "cool" for 10 seconds. I have 5 AR's now. I'd never get a bump stock. Of course, I'm never going to carry a sign that says "no bump stocks" just because I think they are dumb.Cop-killer ammo. Dumb. Why is it even made. Target shooting, animal shooting, wtf...it does no good. If the military thinks it will help them vs. our enemies, fine...have it at 100%. So I agree with most of what you say. The big problem is all the focking hoodlums and gangsters with massive amounts of guns that will never be accounted for or the ownership of them made legal.

- Welfare - we have too many people on welfare. It still pays more to not work in many situations than it does to get a job. We could probably cut 20% of the people on welfare without affecting those who are really in need.Agreed. And use the money for mental health checks on guns. I'm a hard-ass righty. But...I'm perfectly okay with welfare for those who are trying. And...there should be criteria...if you are on welfare, and have another kid...you lose your welfare. That's just one. Things to keep people honest, and motivated.

- Healthcare - everyone should have access to affordable healthcare. We need to work on the cost side and I don't think that healthcare should cover boob-jobs and sex changes, but it should cover birth control (see abortion). I don't know what do here. I don't like me paying for others healthcare. I don't like those with preexisting conditions to be allowed "in" for the same reason...their costs will be higher and drive mine up. Again, it comes down to "me/us/my family vs them" and I have to choose "me/us/my family". Every angle that anyone has on healthcare...has arguments on both sides that are valid. I realize I don't have the answers for a lot of things and being an armchair QB....well...another armchair QB could come up with valid points against me. I guess, gut reaction...there has GOT TO BE places where the government is wasting money----THAT 80% of Americans, regardless of political affiliation, agree the money is wasted. If that money could be used to supplement healthcare...then that would be great. I know money is wasted tremendously within healthcare and insurance. If that wouldn't be....the prices for all of us would go down.

I respect your opinions, Patriots. Always have. :thumbsup:

If that is true, then wouldn't we be better off in working on those things instead of all of the other bullshit that people don't agree with?

My next theory is that we actually agree on a ton of things, but the nature of our political infrastructure has gotten to the point that it really doesn't matter. Things are set up so that we no longer know HOW to work on things that we agree on because we have focused solely on putting our perceived "other side" down.

The majority of folks in this country would be considered centrist with a slight lean either way, depending on the issue. Sadly, its the lunatic fringe on both sides that are driving everything. If you don't give a rats ass about abortion, you have to turn in your Republican card or if you think dudes don't belong in a girls bathroom you CAN'T be a democrat...for example.

I have said all along, give me a candidate that sits somewhere in the middle and I will vote for them.

I agree with Obama when he said we need to protect our boarders and not allow illegal aliens in.

I agreed with Bush when he said we shouldnt be sending our boys halfway across the globe on nation building exercises.

I agreed with Bush when he said we shouldnt be sending our boys halfway across the globe on nation building exercises.

#metoo

- I'm OK with abortion up to 20 weeks. After that it has to be a life in danger. And I reserve the right to reduce the time with the viability of a fetus surviving at younger ages due to improved technology. I hate this position as I think it basically enables abortion as contraception and kills a viable human life, but I understand that our society will probably never go back to a time of personal responsibility so... :(

- I've grown anti-death penalty in my old age. I just don't think the government should be in the business of systematically killing people for what basically amounts to retribution.

- Healthcare: I'd like to see something akin to single payer for emergency and well-visits, and an option for people to pay into a system to get priority on other medical needs. I don't know how this would be implemented but I'm an idea man not an implementation man, so get to it$#@!

:cheers:

• Like 1

- I've grown anti-death penalty in my old age. I just don't think the government should be in the business of systematically killing people for what basically amounts to retribution.

That's one issue I'll never agree with the left on. Leaving killers alive just gives a liberal judge another chance to turn him loose to kill again. Nope...........kill him and kill him quick and publically.

I'm good with...

Gay Marriage

Legal pot

Kind of hard to say what is the "other side" because our nation's policies have not changed in decades under R and D presidents and R and D controlled Congress.

As much as the left claims to want healthcare for all, open borders, gun restrictions, and no wars their actions when in control say otherwise.

As much as the right claims to want a secure border/immigration reform, affordable healthcare, and reduced spending their actions when in control say otherwise.

That is one of the main reasons they both hate Trump, he is actually doing what he campaigned on and stepping all over the status quo.

Back on topic.

I agree with The Left that the environment is being destroyed and something needs to be done. I don't think taxing and regulating US businesses in the name of The Great Climate Change Boogeyman is the best solution as that only costs us jobs and shifts the destruction/pollution to other countries.

I don't know what the solution is though.

At the most basic level our ever increasing consumption and materialism is the driving force behind destruction of lands and pollution.

Relying solely on advances in technology and legislation that pushes the ugly stuff to Asia and South America is not the answer.

Net neutrality but now Im not sure.

Gay marriage dont care but no gay adoption

Abortion up to 8 weeks

Legal pot but thats about to be a Repub thing.

Also fine with the death penalty for treason and murder related cases. Killem quick.

Prostitution is a lefty thing too right? Im cool with that. Some girls are dumb as a box of rocks and thats literally all they can offer the world. Let them work.

Net neutrality but now Im not sure.

Gay marriage dont care but no gay adoption

Abortion up to 8 weeks

Legal pot but thats about to be a Repub thing.

Also fine with the death penalty for treason and murder related cases. Killem quick.

Prostitution is a lefty thing too right? Im cool with that. Some girls are dumb as a box of rocks and thats literally all they can offer the world. Let them work.

I used to oppose gay adoption but have come to realize that that is too severe of a position. I consider it a negative in the overall analysis but not a deal breaker. I'd rather a loving gay couple adopt a child vs. having the kid stuck in foster care. Which as a side note, now that our kids are more or less adults, the wife and I had discussed possibly becoming foster parents. More likely we'll get a dog and piss of our kids who always wanted one, but time will tell.

Also 8 weeks is too short. That's basically one missed period, not even. I don't think that is a realistic expectation.

I used to oppose gay adoption but have come to realize that that is too severe of a position. I consider it a negative in the overall analysis but not a deal breaker. I'd rather a loving gay couple adopt a child vs. having the kid stuck in foster care. Which as a side note, now that our kids are more or less adults, the wife and I had discussed possibly becoming foster parents. More likely we'll get a dog and piss of our kids who always wanted one, but time will tell.

Also 8 weeks is too short. That's basically one missed period, not even. I don't think that is a realistic expectation.

I still oppose it. No kid should be subjected to that just because the parents naturally couldnt have a child.

Im willing to move off the 8 weeks but no later than the end of the first trimester. Id still much rather have the 8 weeks than the 20 weeks you proposed. I have a friend who was a pre-mature baby and was born at 7 months and 20 weeks isnt far off that.

20 week baby: https://goo.gl/images/osu5iw

Thats murder.

Abortion - pretty much totally pro choice. Would be fine with a limit of first trimester though, absent mother danger issues.

Immigration - whole system needs a revamp. Close the border. Streamline deportation proceedings. But also make applying for tourist visas and other types of visas faster and easier. Hit employers of illegals hard.

Guns - here Im a lib. I support some pretty damn severe restrictions on guns.

Welfare - tighten it up. If youre able to work, get kicked off. No rewards for babies.

Spending - cut the federal budget by 1/3 to 1/2. The military gets a good chunk of those cuts. Yes, military is important, but we are wasteful.

Race - end affirmative action. No hate crime laws. It is time for the races to be 100% equal under the law. It is long last time actually.

Gender issues - anyone can use whatever bathroom they want. Other than that, stfu trannies. I think its a mental disorder and should be treated as such.

Health care - I support a single payer system. We have among the least accessible health care in the world. People die every single day from it.

Good feedback folks. Keep it up and please dont sh!t on anyone for their views. It is not an argue thread. It is a thread to share what you would agree with your perceived other side.

Good feedback folks. Keep it up and please dont sh!t on anyone for their views. It is not an argue thread. It is a thread to share what you would agree with your perceived other side.

GFY :wave:

I still oppose it. No kid should be subjected to that just because the parents naturally couldnt have a child.

Im willing to move off the 8 weeks but no later than the end of the first trimester. Id still much rather have the 8 weeks than the 20 weeks you proposed. I have a friend who was a pre-mature baby and was born at 7 months and 20 weeks isnt far off that.

20 week baby: https://goo.gl/images/osu5iw

Thats murder.

This reminds me of this: https://twitter.com/LiveAction/status/1054430168813457413

The older I get the more of a visceral/intuitive weight/sadness abortion has to me.

• Like 1

my opinion on taxes

20% flat tax rate across the board

single starts at 20k

single with kids 25k

married 40k

married with kids 50k

everyone gets those absolute deductions

all other income corporate, personal, inheritance, whatever else is a flat 20%

done, no need for IRS, saves billions annually

some other things I can throw out there I am looking for some stances I took a while back

for the record

I believe in climate change

I dont believe its catastrophic

I believe mankind has proven time and again that we can adapt

I dont believe that throwing trillions at the problem will solve anything

I believe and recycling, conservation and the likes, as well as alternative energy

I dont believe in wind, solar or water power are the answer

I believe that nuclear and natural gas are our best answers

I don't want polution

I don't think being pro-life is being anti-woman

I believe that all life is important, until it isn't anymore (death penalty)

I can make a compromise at first trimester

I believe that we should protect all babies especially at the time of viability

I don't call a miscarriage a fetus, don't call an abortion a fetus

I don't believe in God, but I believe in the Judeo-Christian value system

I don't believe genders are fluid

I do believe that transgenderism is a mental disorder

I don't believe in protecting anyone in the group of LGBTQAAIP2ZHRSIAD5 after the LG

I do believe in treating everyone kindly and that includes people who are mentally disturbed

I don't believe that after a sex change that persons gender is any different

I do believe in XX and XY

• Like 1

I would agree with this as well. Along with corporate loopholes and limits on executive pay.

Why should there be limits on anyones pay in the free market?

I never understood this argument. :dunno:

some other things I can throw out there I am looking for some stances I took a while back

for the record

I believe in climate change

I dont believe its catastrophic

I believe mankind has proven time and again that we can adapt

I dont believe that throwing trillions at the problem will solve anything

I believe and recycling, conservation and the likes, as well as alternative energy

I dont believe in wind, solar or water power are the answer

I believe that nuclear and natural gas are our best answers

I don't want polution

I don't think being pro-life is being anti-woman

I believe that all life is important, until it isn't anymore (death penalty)

I can make a compromise at first trimester

I believe that we should protect all babies especially at the time of viability

I don't call a miscarriage a fetus, don't call an abortion a fetus

I don't believe in God, but I believe in the Judeo-Christian value system

I don't believe genders are fluid

I do believe that transgenderism is a mental disorder

I don't believe in protecting anyone in the group of LGBTQAAIP2ZHRSIAD5 after the LG

I do believe in treating everyone kindly and that includes people who are mentally disturbed

I don't believe that after a sex change that persons gender is any different

I do believe in XX and XY

This seems like what you are for. What about things that the other side is for that you agree with?