• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#201 jerryskids

jerryskids

FF Geek

• Members
  • 45,977 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:19 PM

Inclusions which arent healthy: Lard, bone broth, meat, especially beef, grass fed or not. Bacon and dairy, which are advocated variably.

Exclusions which are healthy: Some fruits like apples, citrus, legumes, whole grains.

But the ratios are the biggest problem. The blue zone diets are no where near the fat or protein intake as VLC diets. Veggies, fruits, legumes, nuts and whole grains should be the bulk of ones diet, roughly 80-90% of caloric intake. Animal protein should be eaten sparingly. And training your body to metabolize fats is nonsense.

Basically, substitute animal protein and fat for carbohydrates in your description of an appropriate diet :thumbsup:

ETA Unless youre a competitive eater, there is no way you will gain a few pounds after a single meal.

1.  No it's not; you should look into it.  It's a growing branch of knowledge in the competitive training field.   :thumbsup:

2. I gained 0.7 lbs in 3 days; too long between to measurements to conclude the effect.  That being said, I managed to not gorge myself which is not typically the case with this particular customer; he took pity on me when I said I was trying to do a low-carb purge by not ordering too many rolls.  

"I wouldnt even consider sitting out, I love pedo threads." -- tanatastic

#202 penultimatestraw

penultimatestraw

FF Geek

• Members
  • 14,768 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:40 PM

1.  No it's not; you should look into it.  It's a growing branch of knowledge in the competitive training field.   :thumbsup:

2. I gained 0.7 lbs in 3 days; too long between to measurements to conclude the effect.  That being said, I managed to not gorge myself which is not typically the case with this particular customer; he took pity on me when I said I was trying to do a low-carb purge by not ordering too many rolls.  

It's kind of a semantic argument. To me, training implies a methodology to improve performance resulting in long-term physiologic adaptations. Anyone who depletes their glycogen stores and minimizes carbohydrate intake with covert to ketosis - it's our body's response to the starvation state. You'll continue to utilize ketone bodies for fuel as long as glucose isn't around, but as soon as you eat a diet containing sufficient carbohydrates, you shift back to glucose almost immediately. Your body always prefers glucose. Maybe a few enzymes for ketone utilization are temporarily up-regulated, but your actual ability to make and use ketones derived from fats doesn't change much.

Contrast that to training for weight lifting or running. If you lift or run regularly, your body makes short and long term changes to improve strength and endurance. The gains don't immediately evaporate if you take a rest day, and you develop "muscle memory" which makes those exercises easier even if you take a prolonged hiatus.

As to point 2, 3/4 of a pound in 3 days is nowhere near a few pounds after a single meal. I'll accept that as an admission your original statement was hyperbole.  :thumbsup:

#203 mmmmm...beer

mmmmm...beer

FF Geek

• Members
  • 9,796 posts

Posted Today, 08:06 AM

So I plateaued on my weight loss and read about this sort of thing quite a bit being normal, though it can be discouraging.

I know I sure was discouraged. I had been dropping weight pretty easily on keto, but unfortunately I got to 235.6 and I sat there... from July 22, until finally August 9th I hit 234 lbs. It took 18 days to shed that 1 pound!

Now just a week later I'm at 232.2 lbs this morning.

I think your body just needs an adjustment phase...

I was at 262 on Jan 1st... -30 lbs this year... today. To be honest I didn't start keto until the last week in May. Down -24-ish lbs since then.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf