Sign in to follow this  
shutdown

Suggestion on Keeper League Rules

I'm working on expanding our league's keeper rules and I'd be curious to hear about how your league handles keepers so I can see what might work best in our league.

Currently its a 14 team league with 17 man rosters with 2 keepers. The first can be any player on your roster the second can only be from the last 6 rounds in the draft. These cost a 1st and a 4th round pick respectively. Obviously this has limited the number of players kept but we've got a good long term core of owners who would like to see more long term planning and strategy with their teams.

Thus, I'm wanting to open the door to more keeper strategy and trades based on that. I'm considering allowing for 3-5 keepers with round penalties for keeping, but having never done this I'm not sure exactly what the round penalties should be. Again just looking for what has worked well in your league. Thanks for the feedback.

I think what you currently have owners doing is strictly comparing player A vs player B, and then electing to pick which ever they think will do better. When it comes to increasing strategy I like leagues that make you compare the value of player A vs the value of player B. For example, would you rather have Leveon Bell or Kareem Hunt? Most people take Bell without question, but what if Bell is going to cost you a 1st and Hunt is only going to cost you a 4th or 5th? Now a lot of people are probably leaning towards Hunt, because you are comparing Bell and your potential 4th round pick, vs Hunt and a first round pick. This system also rewards teams who make solid picks, and keeps a lot of top talent available in the draft. A cap on keeper years and a progressive penalty are needed in this system, but it helps make it so keepers aren't a cut and dry situation of who's going to be better. For my league we allow a player to be kept two years. The first year is at the players previously drafted round, the second year is the players current average draft position. The second year of being kept, makes owners try and project if that player will out perform where he's being drafted at, and if there are players who offer better value.

As mentioned above an escalating keeper tax would help if you're moving to 3-5 keepers.

So last year's 2nd round keeper costs a 1st to keep this year.

I'm working on expanding our league's keeper rules and I'd be curious to hear about how your league handles keepers so I can see what might work best in our league.

Currently its a 14 team league with 17 man rosters with 2 keepers. The first can be any player on your roster the second can only be from the last 6 rounds in the draft. These cost a 1st and a 4th round pick respectively. Obviously this has limited the number of players kept but we've got a good long term core of owners who would like to see more long term planning and strategy with their teams.

Thus, I'm wanting to open the door to more keeper strategy and trades based on that. I'm considering allowing for 3-5 keepers with round penalties for keeping, but having never done this I'm not sure exactly what the round penalties should be. Again just looking for what has worked well in your league. Thanks for the feedback.

My three leagues allow a max of 4 keepers, but there are 2 types.

Vet keepers:

Anyone can keep 0, 1, or 2 keepers from last year's final roster in lieu of 1st & 2nd round picks. If they elect to keep only one, then it will be in lieu of 1st rounder and they draft in round 2. If they elect to keep none, then they draft in both rounds 1 & 2.

Rookie Keepers (Dynasty Keepers):

Anyone can keep up to 2 players they drafted as rookies indefinitely without sacrificing any picks. For example, I drafted Julio Jones in his rookie season and he has been on my roster (dynasty style) ever since. Teams can trade their rookie keepers for other players or for draft picks and that player retains his special status. However once anyone's Rookie Keeper is dropped or not kept from one season to the next without having been traded, that Rookie Keeper loses his special status and reverts to the ordinary pool of players. I track the drafted rookies and their movement around the league on a spreadsheet that everyone has access to. We've been doing this in three 12-team leagues since 2003. Needless to say, it works and I still have 25 of the original 36 GMs playing after 15 years of this. It also makes the draft interesting as rookies get taken a lot earlier than usual. We do not have a special draft just for rookies. Each GM makes his own decision as to when to invest in a rookie during the draft. I expect Barkley to be the overall #1 choice in all 3 of these leagues.

This format gives my three leagues a very nice blend of Dynasty (2 players), ordinary Keepers (up to 2 players) and redraft (the rest of your roster). It's a nice mixture that has been succesful for us for 15 years and still going strong.

Everything above is essentially the same song & dance.

Pick a guy off any ol' list and take upside.

You want strategy? Switch to auction.

Our league simply has a 3 rd penalty for your keeper. Can't keep anyone drafted in rds 1-3. 4th round pick costs you your 1st rd pick the following year if you choose to keep him. 10th costs you a 7th...... etc.