Sign in to follow this  
Canadianfan

Is Fitzpatrick pulling a Kurt Warner?

Again. He gets hot. Tosses it to THE one player on his team that can do anything and then teams cover that player. In tampa he has a plethora of weaponry to use and he is. Deep balls to djax,pepper evans and hit howard 5 times a game.

Yeah. His offensive weapons in Tampa seem better than any group hes previously worked with.

Didn't the Kaepernick apologists once use Fitz as their posterboy of "how does he have a job but Kaep does not?"

Not that I recall. There are plenty of posterboys for that argument to go around. Like every single backup QB in the league, along with the Bills, Browns, and possibly the Bears starters. Those are the real headscratchers. I'm on record as thinking that Kap wasn't very good in his last couple of years of playing. But when someone looks at Kap's record and stats and availability and says "Nah, Nathan Peterman, that is our guy"...well, you have to wonder. If it's not about Kap's political stance, then clearly the person making this call doesn't know about The Football.

The best thing about Fitzpatrick is that he's such a down to earth dude and is impossible not to like. I remember an article in either SI or ESPN years ago when he was on his "good" cycle in Buffalo. It detailed how after games he would just be hanging out at home doing neighborhood barbecues. This of course jinxed the Bills and their season fell apart shortly after it was published. :(

Not that I recall. There are plenty of posterboys for that argument to go around. Like every single backup QB in the league, along with the Bills, Browns, and possibly the Bears starters. Those are the real headscratchers. I'm on record as thinking that Kap wasn't very good in his last couple of years of playing. But when someone looks at Kap's record and stats and availability and says "Nah, Nathan Peterman, that is our guy"...well, you have to wonder. If it's not about Kap's political stance, then clearly the person making this call doesn't know about The Football.

This is what I was remembering. Not a shock that Richard Sherman was one of the guys b1tching about him wrt Kaep: http://amp.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/08/03/ryan-fitzpatrick-tampa-bay-bucs-called-out-nfl-players

This is what I was remembering. Not a shock that Richard Sherman was one of the guys b1tching about him wrt Kaep: http://amp.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/08/03/ryan-fitzpatrick-tampa-bay-bucs-called-out-nfl-players

Eh. I don't consider Richard Sherman to be a great source of information about commonly held attitudes. "Whoever is playing for the Jets" is terrible. Guy is a player in the league and doesn't even know another team's QB. Not putting a lot of stock in that.

Still, the claim that there are a ton of guys with jobs who are worse than Kap is demonstrably true, if by 'worse' you just go by statistical performance.

Eh. I don't consider Richard Sherman to be a great source of information about commonly held attitudes. "Whoever is playing for the Jets" is terrible. Guy is a player in the league and doesn't even know another team's QB. Not putting a lot of stock in that.

Still, the claim that there are a ton of guys with jobs who are worse than Kap is demonstrably true, if by 'worse' you just go by statistical performance.

Oh I agree that Sherman is a loudmouth and doesn't speak for everyone. Just pointing out that Fitz has indeed been called out by name in the past.

Oh I agree that Sherman is a loudmouth and doesn't speak for everyone. Just pointing out that Fitz has indeed been called out by name in the past.

Fair enough. I have always seen him as the epitome of 'journeyman'--he's the guy you call when you have a young QB who is streaky, or an old QB who might get hurt, or you're making a SB run and you want someone who, if he has to come in and manage, won't throw away the game. He's been good, and he's been mediocre, but he's never really been 'terrible' to my recollection.

And now...most ever standard scoring fantasy points by a QB through two games. In the history of the NFL. Most ever. Fitz. The Amish Rifle. I love it.

The best thing about Fitzpatrick is that he's such a down to earth dude and is impossible not to like. I remember an article in either SI or ESPN years ago when he was on his "good" cycle in Buffalo. It detailed how after games he would just be hanging out at home doing neighborhood barbecues. This of course jinxed the Bills and their season fell apart shortly after it was published. :(

one of the lineman made a comment about how Fitz takes charge on the field and is just a regular dude off. Family man is what I think he said actually. It seemed like a backhanded swipe at Winston. If he crushes on Monday and they reinstall Winston the bucs are going to mutiny

I got Fitz and am starting him over R Wilson. Monday night against the defenseless, imploding Steelers.

Fitzy's strength is his intelligence. With multiple receiving weapons he is now equipped to use his strength and find the open man. Having hit on some long ones with D Jax will really help to keep the whole field open for him.

Combine the above with Tampa's underperforming running attack and putrid defense and it looks like the plan will be to win shootouts in the air. I'm sure Fitz realizes it's go big or go home.

As long as they keep winning they will probably keep this strategy going. I'm in for the ride, long live the ride. I'm hoping they beat Pitt in a shootout and I'll get at least another week.

One thing I have learned in fantasy football over the years, is to not overthink what is right before your eyes. Forget preseason projections and player history. Sometimes things just click....and when they do, just ride the hot hand as long as possible.

This is my philosophy as well.

I bid way too much to get him this week but he is the #1 ranked QB in our league after 2 weeks. Mahomes is the only other qb even close.

If he gets me a few wins while Seattle figures out their offense then he serves a purpose.

If he stays hot he could be an express ticket to the fantasy playoffs.

I picked him up the week before the season started. He was on the waivers in a superflex league. No one cared. Winston was coming back. ONE team did not have a 2nd qb because wentz was not ready. I picked him up and offered him to this team for John Ross. He was getting preseason hype and Fitz cost me literally nothing.

Guys response. Dude. What do I look like. A retard? No way I would ever make that trade. Sooooo. I sat on him and watched him blow up. Started Darnold instead. Fitz blows up for 50 points.

I figure last week I would give him a shot. They talked shootout. He scored 52

I renamed my team oh oh oh fitzmagic.

And I laughed all the way to the championship with mahomes as his mirror.

Fitzpatrick is not pulling a Kurt Warner.

Fitzpatrick is pulling a Fitzpatrick.

Hipster Warner pulled a Fitzpatrick before it was cool.

Fitz is actually pulling a Vinny imo

20 years ago Vinny Testeverde was a journeyman who bounced around, was never great, had a couple decent years, then in 1996 went ape ######

Really good analogy. Spot on :)

Up next is the Bears D with Khalil Mack, so temper your expectations.

I think this is his final audition. TBs bye is week 5. They go in to it 3-1 and Fitz has another impressive showing, I can't see them turning to Winston. They go in 2-2 and Fitz throws 3 picks again, I think they make the change.

I think this is his final audition. TBs bye is week 5. They go in to it 3-1 and Fitz has another impressive showing, I can't see them turning to Winston. They go in 2-2 and Fitz throws 3 picks again, I think they make the change.

Its sort of unfair to Fitz. That Bears D is no joke.

Im sure the Bears coaching staff would love the Bucs to trot Winston out there this week. He gets sacked a ton and fumbles a lot. Coming off a 3 game suspension, I think the he would be eaten alive.

Meanwhile, Fitz will probably struggle as well, and it will be easy for everyone to say the magic is gone.

• Like 1