Sign in to follow this  
leftyguitar

last two picks? do i finish off my team with K and DEF

i don't have a K or a DEF, goin into the last 2 rounds. the no-brainer is to just finish off my team. BUT theres a couple starting RBs still left out on the board. both thomas jones and cedric benson are there along with ahman green. Do I skip drafting a kicker or D and see what i can do with these RBs? I can always make a trade to a team that might be weak at RB for their good DEF / K and somebody before the season starts.

the only thing holding me back from trying this out is that in my league we just started doing a free agency bidding system. everyone gets 160 "dollars" for the season to spend on free agents. if you want to pick someone up you bid for them. this takes away the crappy waiver system where whoever has the highest waiver can jump on the first suprise stud of the year. so if i DON"T draft my K and DEF, i'm gonna have to spend some of my FA money to get them before the season starts if I can't trade for them.

DEF's taken so far: chicago, pitt, baltimore, tampa, indy, giants, dallas, jax, carolina.

K's taken so far: vinatieri, graham, rackers

advice?

We put in a rule where you had to draft a complete team (ie. K and Defense) so guys wouldn't just load up on RBs with their last picks. I'm surprised the guys you mentioned are still available. I guess my answer is keep grabbing RBs if there's no rule against it, and grab any K or D for a buck each when the time comes. They're too unpredictable anyway.

i would go for the RBs...there isnt gonna be that much bidding for remaining Ds and Ks but if one of those guys starts doing well...it would cost more to get them...

check mine

Lefty,

As long as you don't have to have a K/D at the end of the draft, I would definitely pick up Benson, Green, TJ (In that order) and follow it up with a kicker in the last round. Pick up any old Defense left for a $1 bid? Cheaper than trying to pick up a RB that breaks loose on a bid!

Also, do you have to cut someone to pick up a Def if you do this, or do you have additional roster spots?

Without a doubt just take Jones and Benson with your last two picks. I don't know if everyone else in your league already has their D/K, but if they do, then you'll probably be free to pick up whatever D/K you want off waivers fairly cheap. A defense and a kicker wont make a break your team, but two RB's from a team that ALWAYS pounds it and has virtually no passing game, very well might. One word of caution that I can think of though, if they all know you dont have a Kicker or Defense, you could end up getting squeezed big time money wise because they know you'll have to pick them up to have a full team. I'd still take the chance and go with the cuff on the two RB's though. Good luck.

If you have a minute, give me some input. Thanks

Link

hey monster,

these are my last two picks of the draft. i'll have no other open spots on my roster. so if i take 2 RBs i'll have to pay for my K and DEF. but i'm starting to like the idea of whoever the bears end up starting... i could always trade up for a really good DEF and somebody else...

Do you have a minimum fee for pickups?

If not, definitely take a RB here and blind bid a small amount for the K/Def you want

You will either have to make a RB trade for an upgrade at WR, then cut Kennison and buy who you need. I just like having options and those are great value picks for the late rounds.

we've gotta minimum bid $1 to pick up FA's. if i'm the only interested party, i still have to pay the $1. doesn't seem like much, but i'm plannin on bein real stingy so that last weeks of the season i can blow my wad... on some pickups.

I skipped on a kicker during my keeper draft. I picked up Antonio Bryant with that pick in the last round. Skipped a backup QB too and picked up Jerius Norwood with the 2nd to last pick. We can pay a fee for a valid IR spot. Put Vincent Jackson in that spot...and picked up Gostowski on Monday.

Now I have a valid roster. We have rules that state your lineup and roster must be valid and legal by WEEK 1. Since we drafted Aug 11, this is pretty easy.